HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Plekanec will leave ...

Old
06-16-2010, 10:39 AM
DougHarvey

vCash: 500
[QUOTE=Habs;26312237]It wouldn't bother me too much to see him walk away, spend the money on someone else.[/QUOTE]

and who pray tell will we get to replace him. You are not going to get a 60-70 center who is defensively superior to most other for less than 5M.

I hope the Habs offer him 7 yrs /30M.

DougHarvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 11:15 AM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougHarvey View Post
and who pray tell will we get to replace him. You are not going to get a 60-70 center who is defensively superior to most other for less than 5M.

I'd be fine with that.

Players of Plekanec's quality are not easy to find. And he's relatively low risk just because of the fact he can do more than put up points and score 20+goals so if things are not going well for him he's still our best PKer, someone you throw out there against other team's top lines. He also fits well in Martin's system.

Fact is that there's no way to replace him in a manner that makes sense this summer. And who knows when an opportunity will arise where we can replace him satisfactorily.

People that want him gone often cite his playoffs performance. Which was only bad against the flyers, and is excusable by the amounts of game he has played this season and how much effort he expanded actually getting us in the playoffs. I think Plekanec can definitely be a positive contributing factor in the playoffs most of the time.

Another reason is the size of the line up and the overall lack of grit. Getting rid of good players to upgrade grit is a losing proposition. Why don't we upgrade the grit on the wings of Gomez's and Plekanec's lines instead of letting go a talented player. If Pouliot is serious about his training this summer, it might change things. If AK returns to form, it could also. AK playing with no center, or freakin' Lombardi won't help.

Rumors are that the discussion between Montreal and Plekanec are going well, so looks like it will be a moot point anyway.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 11:28 AM
Basszor

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
I'd be fine with that.

Players of Plekanec's quality are not easy to find. And he's relatively low risk just because of the fact he can do more than put up points and score 20+goals so if things are not going well for him he's still our best PKer, someone you throw out there against other team's top lines. He also fits well in Martin's system.

Fact is that there's no way to replace him in a manner that makes sense this summer. And who knows when an opportunity will arise where we can replace him satisfactorily.

People that want him gone often cite his playoffs performance. Which was only bad against the flyers, and is excusable by the amounts of game he has played this season and how much effort he expanded actually getting us in the playoffs. I think Plekanec can definitely be a positive contributing factor in the playoffs most of the time.

Another reason is the size of the line up and the overall lack of grit. Getting rid of good players to upgrade grit is a losing proposition. Why don't we upgrade the grit on the wings of Gomez's and Plekanec's lines instead of letting go a talented player. If Pouliot is serious about his training this summer, it might change things. If AK returns to form, it could also. AK playing with no center, or freakin' Lombardi won't help.

Rumors are that the discussion between Montreal and Plekanec are going well, so looks like it will be a moot point anyway.

I agree. Not to mention, Plekanec is just hitting his prime so it's not like he's a washed up 35+ years old player. Even a 7 year contract would put him around 34-35. It would be something i'd be glad to see.

Basszor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 11:52 AM
idoentknow*

Plekanec is worth the same as Kesler.

Plekanec at 5 Million is possible if at least one of the three contracts are moved. Spacek, Hamrlik, A. Kostitsyn.

idoentknow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 11:53 AM

No Kesler has a physical aspect to his game that Plekanec doesn't. And he shows up in the playoffs.

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 11:54 AM
Bieber fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by idoentknow View Post
Plekanec is worth the same as Kesler.
no way.The best comparable to plekanec is Derek Roy IMO.......and he's making around 4M$/ years.

Bieber fever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 11:55 AM
Andy

The only thing that bothers me about Plekanec is that he also paid to score, not just play defense and it's one thing if we was playing second line center to Toews or Crosby, but he's not, he's playing 2nd line center to Gomez. We need Plekanec to produce offensively in the playoffs for us to go far. He put up decent numbers, but they don't at all reflect his offense play in the post-season which has been criticized since 2007-2008 where he stated that he played like a little girl.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 11:57 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post

The funny part in all of this is if we had Moore or Lomabrdi as 2nd line center and lost in the 1st round...there would be about 20 posters preaching we should go sign a guy like Plekanec for 5 years 25 mil...

Last edited by Monctonscout: 06-16-2010 at 12:03 PM.
Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 12:01 PM
tinyzombies

In the cap world, the window is a year or two, then you reconfigure. I think it's time to say goodbye to Plekynuts. Koivu can fill those shoes quite easily for the next two years. Especially those little baby playoff booties.

Size isn't everything, but you have to have heart and grit to go with your skill in the playoffs.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 12:01 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
No Kesler has a physical aspect to his game that Plekanec doesn't. And he shows up in the playoffs.
I must have missed when Kesler led Vacouver to a long playoff run. He has 3 goals in 23 playoff games, not sure how you consider that "showing up"?

Regular season he has 171 pts in the last 3 years, Plekanec has 178 pts.

Old
06-16-2010, 12:04 PM
idoentknow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsauce514 View Post
no way.The best comparable to plekanec is Derek Roy IMO.......and he's making around 4M$/ years.
Roy is a bargain at 4 Million. Roy signed that deal in 2007. Today, Roy would easily be granted 5 Million if he was a UFA.

I never compared Plekanec to Kesler. Kesler has more grit & edge, but Plekanec has more offensive talent. Both are equally strong in their own end. At the end of the day, they are worth the same.

Plekanec is worth more than 4 Million.

Old
06-16-2010, 12:05 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
The only thing that bothers me about Plekanec is that he also paid to score, not just play defense and it's one thing if we was playing second line center to Toews or Crosby, but he's not, he's playing 2nd line center to Gomez. We need Plekanec to produce offensively in the playoffs for us to go far. He put up decent numbers, but they don't at all reflect his offense play in the post-season which has been criticized since 2007-2008 where he stated that he played like a little girl.
People are too quick to write him off as a non-factor in the playoffs. His performance wasn't absolutely terrible. It was average. He had 2 good rounds and a terrible one. We need more, but at the same time, look at Toews, did nothing against the flyers either. So even really good players can struggle in certain situations.

As I said, it's too early to say that Plekanec is going to be a no show in the playoffs forever. If we went ahead and got a guy like Malone, Clowe, Morrow, Backes, etc to play with him and Cammy, it would open up a lot of room for him to do his thing against teams like the flyers in the post season.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 12:09 PM
idoentknow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsauce514 View Post
Kesler is 4 year younger.
No.

Kesler is 2 years younger than Plekanec. Which has no major difference if both sign no more than a 7 year contract. Kesler signed a 6 year contract, which concludes at the age of 31. If Plekanec signed a 6 year with Montreal, it would finish at 33. Not a major difference.

Old
06-16-2010, 12:15 PM
MathMan

Quote:
People are too quick to write him off as a non-factor in the playoffs.
I've heard so much praise about the Habs' "tight defensive system" I'm a little surprised people so quickly forget Pleks was matched up vs. Crosby and co. a lot.

A center who gets all the tough 5-on-5 assignments and still outscores is a rare and very valuable commodity.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 12:18 PM
Andy

Quote:
People are too quick to write him off as a non-factor in the playoffs. His performance wasn't absolutely terrible. It was average. He had 2 good rounds and a terrible one. We need more, but at the same time, look at Toews, did nothing against the flyers either. So even really good players can struggle in certain situations.

As I said, it's too early to say that Plekanec is going to be a no show in the playoffs forever. If we went ahead and got a guy like Malone, Clowe, Morrow, Backes, etc to play with him and Cammy, it would open up a lot of room for him to do his thing against teams like the flyers in the post season.
Well i didn't write him off as a complete non-factor. I said he needs to produce offensively as well considering that we have no clear-cut superstar on our roster that can carry the offensive load. Plekanec needs to step it up offensively in the playoffs, his numbers were decent, but it didn't at all refect his offensive play.

Defensively, there is nothing to complain about.

Old
06-16-2010, 12:19 PM
scottyG

Just don't sign Plekanec for more than 4.5 million. Maybe 5 max

I'd sign him to a 4 year deal so when his contract is up also Gomez,Gionta,Cammy's contracts are up, 23.3 million of the cap and Montreal moves forward and gets a new core

scottyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 12:28 PM
Arctic_Hab_Fan

I cannot get over how little respect Plekanec gets from so called Montreal Canadien fans, the guy is great defensively, he was also used primarily to shutdown the best of the opposition in the playoffs, he killed penalties as well. I doubt the Montreal Canadiens would have made the playoffs without Plekanec's contribution over the course of the regular season.

And the best reason to keep him? There is absolutely no one in the farm system to take over and contribute both offensively and defensively as Plek, not even in the UFA market!

Not everything about hockey is offense, learn to appreciate some of the intangibles Plek's brings to this team!

Arctic_Hab_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 12:37 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Well i didn't write him off as a complete non-factor. I said he needs to produce offensively as well considering that we have no clear-cut superstar on our roster that can carry the offensive load. Plekanec needs to step it up offensively in the playoffs, his numbers were decent, but it didn't at all refect his offensive play.

Defensively, there is nothing to complain about.
People are quick to forget also that he's had a long long year...

1-he had to carry more than his share all year with AK, Cammy, Gio, Gomez, Pouliot etc all missing a chunk of the season.

2-He played in the Olympics, this I think also hurt Richards and Toews at the end of the playoffs.

3-The habs had two 7 game series against top teams to get to the 3rd round in which he had a big role on PK and help shutting down big guns.

His tank may have just gotten empty like other players.

Old
06-16-2010, 12:38 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
People are quick to forget also that he's had a long long year...

1-he had to carry more than his share all year with AK, Cammy, Gio, Gomez, Pouliot etc all missing a chunk of the season.

2-He played in the Olympics, this I think also hurt Richards and Toews at the end of the playoffs.

3-The habs had two 7 game series against top teams to get to the 3rd round in which he had a big role on PK and help shutting down big guns.

His tank may have just gotten empty like other players.
Let's hope that this was the case.

Old
06-16-2010, 12:42 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Let's hope that this was the case.
Nahh, Plekanec Richards and Toews all have no heart.

Old
06-16-2010, 12:44 PM
Sargent Pepper*

[QUOTE=DougHarvey;26312951]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
It wouldn't bother me too much to see him walk away, spend the money on someone else.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I would consider making an offer to Frolov at LW.....even if that means move Pouliot to C.......

Sargent Pepper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 12:45 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Nahh, Plekanec Richards and Toews all have no heart.
Could it be?

Old
06-16-2010, 12:46 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

[QUOTE=Sargent Pepper;26315070]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougHarvey View Post

Actually, I would consider making an offer to Frolov at LW.....even if that means move Pouliot to C.......
Pouliot can't even handle the defensive responsibilities of a winger, how do you expect him to do it at center? He wouldn't even last a game at center under JM.

Old
06-16-2010, 01:09 PM
Sargent Pepper*

[QUOTE=Carey Price;26315103]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargent Pepper View Post

Pouliot can't even handle the defensive responsibilities of a winger, how do you expect him to do it at center? He wouldn't even last a game at center under JM.
If Pouliot was not a kid, I might have agreed with you......

Pouliot is young and C was his natural position......learning JM system from within his natural position may actually be easier for him....I would be careful in emitting a strong opinion based on what, 40 games or so?

Sargent Pepper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 01:18 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargent Pepper View Post

If Pouliot was not a kid, I might have agreed with you......

Pouliot is young and C was his natural position......learning JM system from within his natural position may actually be easier for him....I would be careful in emitting a strong opinion based on what, 40 games or so?
He's not that much of a kid, he's 24, for a forward that's his prime.

How do you figure C is his natural position? He was a winger in Sudbury and played LW pretty much his whole time as a pro.

The NHL is not the time to learn the defensive side of the game. He should be better than that, that's why teams have AHL affiliates.

...and 40 games is a big data sample to talk about a player's defensive game. It's not like he played 2-3 games.