HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

09-10 Canucks Injury Status

Old
06-15-2010, 08:24 PM
Ernie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
I do not post it because I cannot name the source (identity, position or function) from which I receive the information hence there is no way for others to judge the credibility of the information.

I do not tend to give credence to "gossip" such as that conveyed by HW because we do not know who the source(s) may be. Without that knowledge it is impossible to decide how credible that information may be. I treat it as I would treat other hearsay - unless there is an originating source it simply lacks credibility. YMMV.

I have no "beef" - I simply accord the information passed on as gossip as just that and do not attribute credibility.
So you're saying that nobody should ever pass on information that they've received unless they reveal a source?

That's nuts. Keeping sources confidential is a long time practice in journalism. But it's up to the journalist to be truthful about the information; if not, it will not be long until they are found out.

Such is the case with HW. She has built up her credibility, her information has checked out repeatedly. She almost certainly has connections.

If you didn't pull out information at the most convenient times (ie, when you're losing an argument), people mind find your information credible as well. Doesn't help that you're so often proven wrong in your arguments, either! But regardless, if you have some information, you should post it without the source. Time will tell whether it is accurate.

And I'm not talking about stupid rumors, like "OMG Mitchell secretly skating, back in 10 days". That just obviously wasn't true.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 09:48 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
So you're saying that nobody should ever pass on information that they've received unless they reveal a source?

That's nuts. Keeping sources confidential is a long time practice in journalism. But it's up to the journalist to be truthful about the information; if not, it will not be long until they are found out.

Such is the case with HW. She has built up her credibility, her information has checked out repeatedly. She almost certainly has connections.

If you didn't pull out information at the most convenient times (ie, when you're losing an argument), people mind find your information credible as well. Doesn't help that you're so often proven wrong in your arguments, either! But regardless, if you have some information, you should post it without the source. Time will tell whether it is accurate.

And I'm not talking about stupid rumors, like "OMG Mitchell secretly skating, back in 10 days". That just obviously wasn't true.
HW is not a journalist so the the usual checks that apply to journalists regarding confidential sources would be inapplicable.

She is free to post what she wishes and I am free to give it no credit and criticize the lack of verifiable source or link.

Mike Gillis in an interview today on Pratt and Taylor had something different to say:

Quote:
The surgery was serious. The surgeons are very optimistic that he'll be very close, if not ready for training camp. Alex is a hard worker and he's begun the rehab process and we're optimistic that he will be ready. In the event he isn't, it will be very close.
http://www.teamradio.ca/contentfiles...d%20Taylor.mp3

So Hockey Widow's unnamed source says:
"He may be 4 months away from now and could have a few months after that to try and get his shoulder ready." That would put him 6 months out which would mean sometime in December with training camp beginning in mid-September.

Gillis says training camp or very close to it which means three months not four and not six.

So who to believe? Hockey Widow's unnamed source or Mike Gillis making a public attributed and verifiable statement.

Tough question? Not for me. I go with the verifiable source every time.

Last edited by Wetcoaster: 06-15-2010 at 10:37 PM.
Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 11:28 AM
Ernie

Except that Burrows agent also is quoted as saying he could miss part of the season.
Quote:
Paul Corbeil, Burrows' agent, said Monday that he does not expect Burrows to be ready for training camp and suggested he could also miss the early part of the regular season.
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/B...#ixzz0qwA8DB6h

Who to go with?

Hockey Widow may not be a professional journalist but in many ways she's functioning as one with her updates. Would it be better if she posted under her real name and in a more reputable medium? Definitely.

Anyways, I don't think anyone cares whether you give her credit or not. Your reputation has taken some hits. As for your insider information: put up or shut up. Anyone can claim to have insider information on the Internet. Hockey Widow has shown time and time again that her updates are not merely some ego exercise, but has provided useful information consistently.

Old
06-16-2010, 11:35 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Except that Burrows agent also is quoted as saying he could miss part of the season.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/B...#ixzz0qwA8DB6h

Who to go with?

Hockey Widow may not be a professional journalist but in many ways she's functioning as one with her updates. Would it be better if she posted under her real name and in a more reputable medium? Definitely.

Anyways, I don't think anyone cares whether you give her credit or not. Your reputation has taken some hits. As for your insider information: put up or shut up. Anyone can claim to have insider information on the Internet. Hockey Widow has shown time and time again that her updates are not merely some ego exercise, but has provided useful information consistently.
The point I am making is that she is reporting hearsay (or gossip) - what someone else told her who was told by someone else - there is no way to evaluate that source. Hence I have problems with credibility.

Old
06-16-2010, 12:05 PM
lindgren

Quote:
The point I am making is that she is reporting hearsay (or gossip) - what someone else told her who was told by someone else - there is no way to evaluate that source. Hence I have problems with credibility.
I agree. We shouldn't take sources seriously if we can't evaluate them.

lindgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 12:26 PM
Ernie

Quote:
who cares? We aren't trying the Canucks in a court of law. HW provided some insights into the team that clearly have some accuracy. She's done a better job than a lot of so-called hockey journalists in this town, especially your golden boy, Botchford.

Old
06-16-2010, 01:40 PM
Zorbane

Ymmv

Zorbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 03:29 PM
In Gillis We Trust

Wetcoaster. Ernie is right. If you have inside information please post it. You don't have to cite your source by any means. Post it and then see if you're right, as HW does consistently. In the court of law the term "beyond a reasonable doubt" applies.

HW has proved time and time again (beyond a rasonable doubt) that she has a very close connection within the organization, or at least close to the players like Ernie said. If you were her defence lawyer, I'm sure you'd be able to prove she has a very credible source. For you it seems like you pick a side, and stick with that side no matter what, right or wrong. I enjoy reading your posts as they are very well thought out but sometimes it appears you cannot seperate the lawyer in you from the hockey fan in you.

HW is by far the best inside source for the curious fans of the Vancouver Canucks. That, or she's just psychic, which would be cool too. I wish she posted here.

In Gillis We Trust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 05:47 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
who cares? We aren't trying the Canucks in a court of law. HW provided some insights into the team that clearly have some accuracy. She's done a better job than a lot of so-called hockey journalists in this town, especially your golden boy, Botchford.
I choose not to take hearsay and gossip from non-journalists.

Old
06-16-2010, 05:50 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck Off View Post
Wetcoaster. Ernie is right. If you have inside information please post it. You don't have to cite your source by any means. Post it and then see if you're right, as HW does consistently. In the court of law the term "beyond a reasonable doubt" applies.

HW has proved time and time again (beyond a rasonable doubt) that she has a very close connection within the organization, or at least close to the players like Ernie said. If you were her defence lawyer, I'm sure you'd be able to prove she has a very credible source. For you it seems like you pick a side, and stick with that side no matter what, right or wrong. I enjoy reading your posts as they are very well thought out but sometimes it appears you cannot seperate the lawyer in you from the hockey fan in you.

HW is by far the best inside source for the curious fans of the Vancouver Canucks. That, or she's just psychic, which would be cool too. I wish she posted here.
No Ernie is not correct. It is my decision not his and not yours how I choose to convey information.

In the past I tried a couple of times and all that resulted was unrelenting attacks because I was unable to provide the sources.

In a criminal court beyond a reasonable doubt applies but it is not the civil standard of proof.

I choose to not credit gossip from such sources. You may choose to do so and that is your choice.