HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

HF Boards Mock Draft Alex Petrovic

Old
06-16-2010, 05:29 PM
BulldogFever

vCash: 500
HF Boards Mock Draft Alex Petrovic

The HF staff has the #27 pick for the Montreal Canadiens as Alexander Petrovic, Red Deer, WHL, D, Petrovic is a big and physical defenseman who plays an unspectacular but solid shutdown role for the Red Deer Rebels. He should be a nice compliment to Montreal's current group of defensemen.

Does anybody know anything about this guy? Can we pick another d-man without focusing on our glaring need at Power Forward (with size)

BulldogFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 05:32 PM
WestIslander

Big defenseman!

Name: Alexander Petrovic
Position: D
Shoots: Right
Height: 6-4
Weight: 193 lbs
Birthdate: 1992-03-03
Eligible for Draft: 2010
Hometown: Edmonton, Alberta

Quote:
2006-07: Drafted by the Red Deer Rebels in the second round (33rd overall) of the 2007 WHL Bantam Draft.

2007-08: Petrovic saw limited action with the Rebels, playing in 10 games for that club. He scored 1 goal.

2008-09: In his WHL rookie season, Petrovic played in 65 games for the Rebels. He scored 1 goal and added 12 assists for 13 points while also racking up 70 penalty minutes. Won a gold medal as a member of Canada's entry at the 2009 Ivan Hlinka Memorial Under-18 Tournament.

2009-10: Petrovic played in 57 games for the Rebels, scoring 8 goals and adding 19 assists for 27 points. He added 87 penalty minutes to his offensive totals. In 4 playoff games for the Rebels, Petrovic registered no points. He played for Team Cherry at the 2010 CHL Top Prospects Game, picking up an assist in the 4-2 Team Cherry win.

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 05:35 PM
prevail

How is he offensively? I've seen a lot of mocks with the Habs picking him but I'm never a fan of defensive dman in the 1st round.

prevail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Mag1328

Soft for his size and displays lack of passion, scouts told me.

Mag1328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Loner

Quote:
Originally Posted by riders on the storm View Post
The HF staff has the #27 pick for the Montreal Canadiens as Alexander Petrovic, Red Deer, WHL, D, Petrovic is a big and physical defenseman who plays an unspectacular but solid shutdown role for the Red Deer Rebels. He should be a nice compliment to Montreal's current group of defensemen.

Does anybody know anything about this guy? Can we pick another d-man without focusing on our glaring need at Power Forward (with size)
We're in need of a power forward since at least 20 years, for 20 years we tried to draft one and since 20 years we failed to develop one. Do we really want to continue?

Loner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 05:37 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
We could do worse, but like I said in the draft thread, 27 seems a bit early for him...although I don't think he'll last until 57 either. He seems kind of comparable to Ryan O'Byrne.

If we're going to pick a big, rugged, defensive defenseman in the first, why not go balls to the wall and take McIlrath (assuming he's still there)? Or, my preferred of the three, Jarred Tinordi.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 05:40 PM
Kriss E

I don't see us picking a Dman as our first pick.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 05:44 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
I hope we trade our pick and move down. Rather move down a few spots and have extra picks to work with.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 05:49 PM
Viggo Mortensen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag1328 View Post
Thx Mag, its nice to hear stuff like that, cause theres too many people here judging on a player with stuff they found on the net...

Viggo Mortensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 05:59 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viggo Mortensen View Post
Thx Mag, its nice to hear stuff like that, cause theres too many people here judging on a player with stuff they found on the net...
How is reading a quote from a scout on the net about Petrovic and hearing what a scout told MAG on the net about Petrovic any different?

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 06:02 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

Petrovic????

NO MORE RUSSIANS

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 06:04 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I hope we trade our pick and move down. Rather move down a few spots and have extra picks to work with.
Same here, but if we don't, Tinordi would be my pick.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 07:03 PM
Jimmy Ballzilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
How is reading a quote from a scout on the net about Petrovic and hearing what a scout told MAG on the net about Petrovic any different?
maybe because he's a journalist at La Presse and scouts actually talk to him ? but I don't know ...

A big skilled forward would be great.

Jimmy Ballzilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 07:36 PM
habsfan92

There is no way I would take a defensive d-man in the first round. I am looking for offence-Kabanov (who seems to hate Russia so not really worried about him not coming), Toffoli-a scorer, or even Jordan Weal-small, but a hard working point producer. Not bottom pairing d-men please-no third/fourth liners either. Wrong round.

habsfan92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 07:59 PM
vokiel
Registered Settler

I would have rather picked Sheehan at 27th. Petrovic's work ethic seems to be questioned by some knowledgeable opinions.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 08:04 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Were all of Schwartz, Bennett, Etem, and Nelson gone? If so, then I approve.

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 08:39 PM
Viggo Mortensen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Cause we dont know how reliable their sources are, we dont know if their infos are from serious scouts or random people doing a report. At least we know for who MAG works, and that he does have some sources, If he says he talked with scouts, well, I find this more credible than random description found on the net like people here read

Viggo Mortensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 08:58 PM
Jakomyte

I really hope one of Brock Nelson, Nick Bjugstad or Riley Sheahan is available when the Habs pick, even if we have to move up a few spots to grab one of them.

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 09:05 PM
RE-HABS

Don't see us drafting a Dman, we need more offensive forwards with size and they have Riley Sheahan going two picks later, if he is available he would be more ideal.

If one of the goalies is traded in Price and Halak don't be surprised to see Pickard taken.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 09:07 PM
otto bond

I see us picking up a forward in the first round. I would go has far has to say he will be a RW....any suggestion?

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 01:43 PM
JohnnyReb

Quote:
He should be a nice compliment to Montreal's current group of defensemen.
Of which at least three (Gill, Spacek and Hamrlik) will no longer be with the team by the time he arrives. Possibly four, depending on how long you view Markov's lifespan to be.

Quote:
I think our prospect depth pool is pretty shallow in all areas, so the cliched best player available is how we should draft. If that's a defensive defenseman, so be it. Any so-called "power-forward" will in all likelihood be at least three years away from making the team, and probably 5-7 years away from being an impact player (at which time he would still only be 23-25 years old). Who knows what the team will look like then, and I certainly hope we're not going to wait 5-7 years for some unknown prospect to solve our size issue.

Just to add to that... would you rather have Jason Ward or Scott Hannan? Lindsay Vallis or Adam Foote? Terry Ryan, Kyle McClaren or Ken Klee? Matt Higgins, Cory Sarich or Colin White? I know it's an exercise in revisionist history (and apparently that isn't allowed here any more) and I know we can all pull examples out of our you-know-whats, but drafting on what we need with the NHL team now is never a good idea. Yes, you can draft on what your organization might need, but even then that's iffy, and I like I say I think the organization needs everything, so...

Last edited by JohnnyReb: 06-17-2010 at 01:54 PM.
JohnnyReb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 01:54 PM
goforit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag1328 View Post
Thks MAG, nice to know what scouts think about him.

goforit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 06:24 PM
Andy Dufresne

Remmerde is Red Line's western scout. Here's his take on Petrovic:
http://nhldraftnotes.blogspot.com/20...-deer-whl.html

Andy Dufresne is offline   Reply With Quote