HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Anyone else feel equipment costs hinder the growth of the sport in NA?

Old
06-10-2010, 09:15 AM
CJV123

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
It's both, but as I said before, I'm fine with hockey being the way it is.

Right now, there's probably 50+ rinks in the metro area around here, and ice is already expensive at well over $100 an hour. .
$100? In the NYC area, it's 5 times that much.

CJV123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 09:22 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
I agree to a point. If you have money and just wait a year you can get all the greatest stuff from last year at about half off. Not that big of a deal since most of your equipment doesn't need to be replaced. But, now they're selling $800 skates. $170 helmets. If you were to look at the cost of equipment on a graph and the cost of the materials that are used to make this gear I think you would see a stunning spike while the costs remain pretty flat. I would like to know how Easton can justify the $170 cost of their top of the line helmet compared to the $120 M11. Where is that extra $50 in their helmet? So, basically, like everything else you buy it comes down to the consumer. You can be a baller and spend on whatever you want as long as you can afford it. And if you cannot afford it there are places like Ebay and Play It Again where you can get equipment. If nobody buys $800 skates Bauer won't make anymore.
A completely new and revolutionary way of teaching the foam to the shell, a completely new foam and padding system, a new concept for the shell and about twice as stiff and protective as any other helmet on the market.

Costs have NOT been steady either.

Also, what people are ignoring is that the top end stuff is not marketed towards kids. The entry level and mid range stuff is. The top end stuff is geared towards pros and well off professionals who have the money to spend on themselves to play in a beer league. You can work yourself in a lather about the top end stuff, but it's completely and totally beside the point.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 09:44 AM
nullterm

Quote:
Originally Posted by raygunpk View Post
oh hello ice604 winter league player
Heh, yeah. I play both ASHL and 604. 604 ice times suck, but it's more ice.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 11:34 AM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
Ice and ice time is the biggest problem here. 11:30pm start times for men's league games suck when you gotta work in the morning.
Good God this!

Still tired from my Sunday night game. Takes me a while to unwind after a game. Got to sleep about 4, got back up for work at 5

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 12:36 PM
frito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Good God this!

Still tired from my Sunday night game. Takes me a while to unwind after a game. Got to sleep about 4, got back up for work at 5
yeah, that is why I try to join a league/division sho's games are Thursday, Friday or Saturday nights. Iplayed in a league once that played on Sundays & Mondays and I was worthless for the entire week.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 12:57 PM
Devil Dancer

I don't think the equipment costs are that bad for beginner/entry level stuff. OTOH I'll probably spend close to $1,500.00 for ice time this year.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 02:10 PM
GoalieEd

Ice avalability is a big part of it. I drive over 90 minutes to the nearest Ice. While I can do that once a week or so it would be very difficult for my son to go with school and the like

GoalieEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 02:44 PM
dabeechman

I just recently bought mid to upper level gear. That wasn't nearly as bad as the 14 bucks per hour or stick time or 13 bucks per public skate.

dabeechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 03:23 PM
noobman

I need more access to casual pickup and pond hockey. I could get a lot more people to play if they only needed skates, a stick, a helmet, and gloves.... especially when I have old sticks, helmets, and gloves to loan out

My suburb of Toronto has one outdoor rink that does not allow any hockey, and city-owned rinks don't have nearly enough drop-in hockey. I have to go to privately owned and operated rinks to find that stuff.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 03:44 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJV123 View Post
$100? In the NYC area, it's 5 times that much.
$350.00 an hour in NJ from what I have found. no more no less, not even an off hour price either.

I have a goalie, equipment prices are NUTZ if we go to stick and puck we have to find a place in the neutral zone against the boards and practice there quietly or it's like a seen from mighty ducks movies if he goes in net.

I get decent off hours ice prices here and I bring out a few shooters for my son once in a while.
Every year we have to do the math and see if we can afford the camps, lessons, registration and equipment.

As well we moved from house league to Rep this year and the team costs $1700.00 for the season plus we each have to find a sponsor minimum of $500.00 for the season.

House League was only (I cant believe I said only) $500.00

Equipment is cheep if you factor in everything else.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 08:57 AM
AyVee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterqvist24 View Post
Yes.

That's the long and short answer.

Ice time is expensive. Often, to offset that cost your kid will have to play very early in the morning.

Equipment is expensive. Even if you're buying lower end and looking for deals, a growing child will need new equipment every couple of years at least.

Basketball requires shoes, team fees and maybe a uniform fee.
Baseball requires cleats, a glove and a bat (doesn't even require a bat, really, my little league team shared about 5-6 for the whole lineup), league fee and maybe a uniform fee.
Football requires cleats and usually the shoulders and helmet are provided, but even if they're not, that's an additional two pieces, league fee and maybe uniform fee.
Soccer requires cleats, maybe a ball, league fee and uniform fee.

Even Lacrosse requires only gloves, a stick, cleats, many times the team provides the helmet and shoulders, a league fee and a uniform fee.

Hockey requires skates (probably more expensive than any one piece of equipment mentioned so far), gloves, stick(s), helmet, shoulders, shins, pants, elbows, a league fee (definitely more expensive than for any other team) and a uniform fee. Teams don't provide any of it unless it's an elite/sponsored team, so to get a start in the sport you have to buy it all yourself.

Very simply, the cost to play hockey is prohibitive when trying to grow the game in many areas. Where there is natural ice most of the year you only need skates and gloves and are likely to find hand-me-down skates because of where you live and previous generations having played. Once your hooked, you'll spend the money or nag your parents until they do, even if it's all bargain gear. Where there isn't ice year round and you don't get the chance to experience the game before you buy all the gear, it's tough to get parents to commit to the expenses associated with playing. No question about it.
Then there's the goalie gear which generally costs more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Influence View Post
You don't need skates for street hockey.
Your street hockey team's more open than mine.

Here (usually) If you don't have skates to play on, people would rather not play with you. It's jsut awkward when everyone but one person has roller-skates. However, exceptions can be made, but then you're the last one to be picked on a team, and you're usually getting crap talked behind your back. Unless you're a goalie of course...

I'm a goalie in colorado springs where I play either in the street (where the asphault chews up your wheels and pads like no tomorrow) or at cottonwood park where they have a public, roller hockey rink. Located outside of all places!!!
In winter it's too snowy to play, in spring it's too rainy, So the only time you can play in it is when it's godaweful hot (and underneath goalie gear, you'd die of heat stroke), or below freezing temperatures. Which is fine for me
"Whew, I'm sweatin."
"Well I can't feel my face!"
I'm not sure what everyone else is complaining about.

Who puts a roller rink outside in colorado!?! Where the weather changes every 10-15 minutes. So by the time the rink is no longer essentially a giant puddle, it will start to rain again in another 10-15 minutes.

So it's not only the price of gear and leagues, but the horrible marketing of the entire thing. It figures that the best sport on earth would be the most expensive.
Unfortunately, the 'hockey crisis' in NA is not exactly high on the list of things that need to be addressed. We need to blow politics and economic disasters out of proportion first.

Last edited by AyVee: 06-14-2010 at 09:13 AM.
AyVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 09:20 AM
nesford2457

The cost of hockey is high, but that prevents hood rats from playing the game so you don't end up with pros pulling guns on each other in the locker room.

nesford2457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 09:41 AM
gintonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
I think it's a legit concern. While pros and people with money to waste like me can spring on occasion for a $200 stick or pair of gloves, kids are constantly growing and growing means new gear is necessary. The companies should consider this, perhaps it would cost them short term but reward them long term by generating more youthful participation.
The irony there is that the pros can afford expensive equipment yet they get it all free.

gintonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 11:23 AM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
This sport can easily cost up to 1000$ in order to get started, it's not as cheap as Basketball, soccer, baseball etc where you only need a few things and your good to go.

Equipment can easily rack up to a pretty penny, as well as kid growing and out growing their equipment, they will need new gear which costs even more money. Not to mention that most leagues cost around 400$ to enter and is only 16 games.

And due to the poor economy, i'm sure most parents have their kids choosing a different sport other than hockey due to the price tag. So yah I can definitely see what your saying.

Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 12:25 PM
Pedagogue

I find that the problem is that many new suburbs are going towards a community centre model and that eliminates the number of rinks. When I was growing up there were many outdoor city rinks and indoor city run rinks that gave you the opportunity to play. Many of those rinks have since closed, Now kids are forced to head to privately run rinks with big fees for ice time. Let's face it, hockey is only for middle to upper middle class families. There are very few if any stories of NHL players who were disadvantaged/poor as youth who made it. Just the way it is, it's an elitist sport. Being an elitist sport you do not attract the best athletes only the athletes whose mommy or daddy have the most money. Yes, the NHL is starting to do more work in the inner cities with their program "Hockey is for Everyone" . But, they know that they have a long way to go if the game is to succeed in the US.

Last edited by Pedagogue: 06-16-2010 at 09:39 PM.
Pedagogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 05:49 PM
hlrsr

Absolutely it does, and especially icetime. Do you guys really believe soccer is so popular worldwide simply because it is "the beautiful game" ? The reality is, it's incredibly easy to get a ball, set up some posts, and get a soccer game going anywhere where there's grass, and even that's not really necessary. Can you say the same for a game of ice hockey? Not a chance.

Next season it will cost my team over $11,000 for beer league. That's for 32 games plus playoffs. With 13 skaters that's almost $900 a person just for icetime. Not even including other costs like skate sharpenings, sticks, tape, beer ....

Utter insanity.

hlrsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 06:21 PM
roast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlrsr View Post
Absolutely it does, and especially icetime. Do you guys really believe soccer is so popular worldwide simply because it is "the beautiful game" ? The reality is, it's incredibly easy to get a ball, set up some posts, and get a soccer game going anywhere where there's grass, and even that's not really necessary. Can you say the same for a game of ice hockey? Not a chance.

Next season it will cost my team over $11,000 for beer league. That's for 32 games plus playoffs. With 13 skaters that's almost $900 a person just for icetime. Not even including other costs like skate sharpenings, sticks, tape, beer ....

Utter insanity.
11k for 32 games!? Even with jerseys thats extremely steep! does it include practice time or anything like that? In Pittsburgh the most expensive session I played was 16 games (and we ordered new jerseys) and that was about a total of 1600 for the entire season, and with jerseys broke out to about 150 per player (12).

roast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 06:56 PM
hlrsr

Quote:
Originally Posted by roast View Post
11k for 32 games!? Even with jerseys thats extremely steep! does it include practice time or anything like that? In Pittsburgh the most expensive session I played was 16 games (and we ordered new jerseys) and that was about a total of 1600 for the entire season, and with jerseys broke out to about 150 per player (12).
Nope. No practices, and not including jerseys. Just for 32 regular season + 2 guaranteed playoff games, 1 hour and 15 minutes each.

http://www.planetice.ca/delta/winter...ckeyleague.cfm

Old
06-16-2010, 07:36 PM
macgyverthatshiz

Quote:
Nope. No practices, and not including jerseys. Just for 32 regular season + 2 guaranteed playoff games, 1 hour and 15 minutes each.

Jesus F'ing Christ.

macgyverthatshiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 11:25 AM
kmdowney

I play in Kansas City area, and have been playing for a few years now... and absolutely love playing (even though I suck).

To me, the biggest problem with ice hockey in the states is:

A) Other than "up north" during the winter, ice time means playing at a rink that costs money. There is no real way for most kids to just "go out and play" hockey. They have to be in a league or instructional camp at a rink. Therefore, any time on the ice is a pretty major expense, and the amount the kids play doesn't compare to kids who play basketball or soccer.

B) Ice Hockey is not America's sport. It's Canada's sport. It's just not part of our culture in the way that it is in Canada. Most kids learn to play in a competitive environment - and it's pretty much the only way they play - which works against having a true "love" for the sport.

C) Related to point A... The ice rink business is tough to make a great deal of money at, and the costs / risks are quite high. Therefore, building a new rink must come from sheer demand...

kmdowney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 04:41 PM
roast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmdowneyinc View Post
I play in Kansas City area, and have been playing for a few years now... and absolutely love playing (even though I suck).

To me, the biggest problem with ice hockey in the states is:

A) Other than "up north" during the winter, ice time means playing at a rink that costs money. There is no real way for most kids to just "go out and play" hockey. They have to be in a league or instructional camp at a rink. Therefore, any time on the ice is a pretty major expense, and the amount the kids play doesn't compare to kids who play basketball or soccer.

B) Ice Hockey is not America's sport. It's Canada's sport. It's just not part of our culture in the way that it is in Canada. Most kids learn to play in a competitive environment - and it's pretty much the only way they play - which works against having a true "love" for the sport.

C) Related to point A... The ice rink business is tough to make a great deal of money at, and the costs / risks are quite high. Therefore, building a new rink must come from sheer demand...
As far as part B goes...I think that depends on where you go...for example there are areas near Erie PA, Buffalo NY, etc where hockey is dominant and Football is almost considered a joke. My cousin went to such a school where hockey was by far the preferred sport...and as far as A goes, there is always roller hockey (which is significantly cheaper) or street hockey during the summer. When I was growing up we played street hockey (on blades) almost every day during the summer and usually had at least 15-20 people with 2 goalies almost daily - best days of my life hands down.

Old
06-17-2010, 04:45 PM
roast

Quote:

How do they justify that? Are there no other rinks near by, a remote area, etc?

Old
06-17-2010, 05:12 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
The equipment doesn't have to be expensive, it's the ice time that's the killer. I couldn't play beer league this year because of the fees, even though I have all my gear. I'm hoping to save up and play next season but it really is an insane financial commitment for most people.

mrmyheadhurts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 05:24 PM
hlrsr

Quote:
How do they justify that? Are there no other rinks near by, a remote area, etc?
That's just how it is around here. There's a decent amount of rinks, but not a lot of them operate beer leagues.

This is the Greater Vancouver area I'm talking about.. not at all remote and it's not like hockey is scarce either.

Old
06-17-2010, 06:10 PM
Bambi on Ice

Send a message via AIM to Bambi on Ice
Quote:
Where are you playing at in Pittsburgh? My team's fees went up to 900 per person here in Pittsburgh for the upcoming season. I don't think I'll be able to play. :-/

Bambi on Ice is offline   Reply With Quote