HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Player Development / Peoria Coaching

Old
06-04-2010, 07:38 PM
Prussian_Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBeard View Post
If Cole had turned pro at the end of his Sophomore season and spent all of this past season in Peoria he would have been the difference in the Rivermen making the cut for the playoffs. The Rivs had no one that could play anything that resembled solid defense on the left side until Guenin was brought in. That Wagner for Guenin trade was a great deal for the Rivermen. Getting rid of Richmond and Bell was addition by subraction alone, nevermind getting some quality AHL players back for them.

To make a long story short...I would take and trust Cole's skill set and the growing pains that surely would have happened over the course of an 80 game schedule over any other d-man on that team without any sort of hesitation.
I do not disagree with anything you're saying here, so I hope you're not interpreting my original statement as criticism of your position... because it was not intended as such.

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 07:43 PM
BlueBeard

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
I do not disagree with anything you're saying here, so I hope you're not interpreting my original statement as criticism of your position... because it was not intended as such.
Ah yeah I totally read your response wrong. That's what I get for rushing through a post on my lunch break.

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 08:01 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEWEST View Post
Prussian_Blue wrote

Re: Pietrangelo. I agree completely with what you posted; he could have played all year in the NHL, but I think that letting him go back to junior and dominate on a very good Barrie club will have done wonders for his confidence. He was also very good at the World Juniors, and now knows exactly what it takes to compete consistently at a high level.

i think this is an excellent comment. The secret to success is being able to compete consistently at a high level. Petrangelo dominated in Barrie and the World juniors. Cundari in Windsor was a key factor in the playoffs and in both back to back Memorial Cup championships. Two very different players but consistency is what they have in common. As well, they both know what it takes to win. The knock on one is his toughness, but that will come with time. The knock on the other is his height, yet he was usually the biggest player on the ice and will continue to grow stronger.

Let's look at 2 other OHL players. Anthony Nigro did not play on the greatest of teams but was very effective. He has excellent puck distribution abilities. He seemed to be a consistent threat whenever he was in the opposition zone. Haven't seen him as often as Alex and Mark, but i was usually impressed. McRae was on very good teams, but always seemed to play in the shadows of players like Tavares, Kadri, Seguin etc. He is better than what we have seen. The media likes to pump certain players more than others. I think he will have a breakout year with Peoria. I like how the future of the Blues and Peoria is shaping up.

Is there any feedback on Anthony Peluso? Will he have a permanent role in Peoria this season? Any thoughts?
I think Nigro is a guy constantly overlooked. It seems he could be a 2nd liner at best, but a good 3rd liner.

McRae is sort of an enigma to me. He really needs to figure out how to use his body more effectively...he has the skills for sure. It almost seems like he is a roller hockey player on ice. Once he realizes the body element of playing ice hockey he can become the player he has the potential to be. If he does not figure that out then I am not so sure about a productive career in the NHL.

What ever happens we need to let this guys progress over the time table they need. BUT the most important thing is to assemble a winning team in Peoria that is well coached and breeds players that reach their potential and learn winning ways.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 12:38 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zundo View Post
I think Nigro is a guy constantly overlooked. It seems he could be a 2nd liner at best, but a good 3rd liner ... the most important thing is to assemble a winning team in Peoria that is well coached and breeds players that reach their potential and learn winning ways.
Agreed on Nigro... and 100% agree with the boldfaced, highlighted statement.

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 12:53 PM
ChicagoBlues

Reading between the lines, the real question in this thread is, Why do so many European prospects--some legit, some not--go back home? What are the reasons behind this phenomena that seems to be a bit of a trend now?

I'll think about it like this for a while and try to answer the question in this thread.

But anyway.........

I think Pietrangelo was handled properly and I don;t think he was mislead this past season in any way. What I mean is that many fans were upset that Pietro was getting jerked around, when I was arguing that Pietro knew what lay ahead of him and was been told by management to chill, observe and play some games and then go back to Niagra with the published wish to have him traded to a contender; wound up being Barrie. I don't really know any of this, but what I am guessing. I think Pietrangelo could have stayed up with The Blues and was hoping he would. I was disappointed that he was sent back to juniors.

Early last season I ripped Sonne because he was a lazy, slow, Jordy lunkhead. Luckily he pulled himself together and had a nice last third of the season. He needs to work on his footwork the most and also grow some cajones. He came with unreasonably high expectations.

Have no opinion at all on McRae.

Eller is amazing and will be very exciting for many years. He kind of reminds me of a mix between Datsyuk with his defensive prowess and ability to steal the puck and also Mike Richards with his toughness and scoring/playmaking ability. And they're all about the same size.

Last edited by ChicagoBlues: 06-05-2010 at 01:09 PM.
ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 01:04 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
Reading between the lines, the real question in this thread is, Why do so many European prospects--some legit, some not--go back home? What are the reasons behind this phenomena that seems to be a bit of a trend now?

I'll think about it like this for a while and try to answer the question in this thread.
I the answer is complex. My guess...lifestyle in Peoria is nothing like back at home, the AHL is a second tier league, at home the league they are in is #1, there are few call ups with the Blues and in the past most of them have been in favor of vets. There is probably more, but thats what I got.

Old
06-05-2010, 01:11 PM
ChicagoBlues

It's very complex and I don't mean my critique to be a "hindsighted" bashing of Blues' management.

Old
06-05-2010, 02:50 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
It's very complex and I don't mean my critique to be a "hindsighted" bashing of Blues' management.
I didn't interpret it as so. Hell I am sure I am not coving the whole gamut of the situation.

As a whole I think Petro was handled properly given he could not play in the AHL. He certainly needed to go through the playoff experience and learn how to play at an elevated level for an extended period of time. I think the WJC was a huge confidence booster and also showed Petro what he needs to do to be "that player". As far as this coming year I would be open to him playing in Peoria if that is what he needs. With Petro I feel we need to take a wait and see approach. Lets see what he does in camp and go from there. Either way I would leave the last spot open for competition.

Old
06-05-2010, 07:17 PM
Blues0307

I don't mind the way the Blues develop players too much. I think if we had a better NHL team, people wouldn't question the development like they do. I just think we all get impatient because we want to see our team keep improving and this year didn't do anything to reassure us that things are moving in the right direction. For me, I think we're still moving in the right direction, this year was just an obstacle that needs to be overcome. Checketts and JD inherited scraps of an NHL organization would they took the Blues over, and it unfortunately takes longer than I thought to get things back on track. The player development is solid though IMO.

Blues0307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 02:38 PM
ChicagoBlues

Peoria Rivermen have a new head coach.

Jared Bednar

I like it that he used to be a GM.
He was the head coach of The South Carolina Stingrays when they beat The Alaska Aces in the finals of the Kelly Cup.

Old
06-15-2010, 06:00 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Peoria Rivermen have a new head coach.

Jared Bednar

I like it that he used to be a GM.
He was the head coach of The South Carolina Stingrays when they beat The Alaska Aces in the finals of the Kelly Cup.
I am not sure what to think of this to be honest. I have no clue really about this guy.

Old
06-16-2010, 09:21 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Does anyone have info on his coaching style?

He seems to be very focused on player development, motivation and winning. +++ so far!