HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We need to start front loading contracts!

Old
06-16-2010, 10:33 PM
Rgolt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
If anything the NHL has to look at getting non-guaranteed contracts, and contract re-negotiation rights with long term contract players added to the new collective agreement.

Imagine the flexiabilty the Lightning would have if Vinnie would allow Management to re-work his deal to fit the cap?

Or, if a team wasn't happy with a player they signed long term and wanted to release them from it 2 years into a 5 year deal?

The league needs some outs.
Why would players want that???
vinnie ur supposed to make 7mill for the rest of ur hockey career, but instead weve decided to make it a 2 year contact hope thats ok with u
kthanksbai

Rgolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 10:35 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgolt View Post
Why would players want that???
vinnie ur supposed to make 7mill for the rest of ur hockey career, but instead weve decided to make it a 2 year contact hope thats ok with u
kthanksbai
You can't shorten the term, but you may allow to put less money on a deal say this year to a later year to fit someone under contract.

Players have a lot of rights to make money and get money no matter what, how about making them be accountable to make that money and if not well your released and a UFA with the team off the hook for the salary.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 10:39 PM
Ubercron9000

Quote:
If anything the NHL has to look at getting non-guaranteed contracts, and contract re-negotiation rights with long term contract players added to the new collective agreement.

Imagine the flexiabilty the Lightning would have if Vinnie would allow Management to re-work his deal to fit the cap?

Or, if a team wasn't happy with a player they signed long term and wanted to release them from it 2 years into a 5 year deal?

The league needs some outs.
I agree with that but the NHLPA would never allow that to happen. I'm sure when the lock out happened they discussed this but the players refused. Just going out on a limb but what ever.

Montreal is at a point where they are making tons of money. With a great team and long playoff runs they can afford front loaded contracts. I think the team is being really cheap in that respect. It does have consequences like dipietro in newyork. But the pros in the cap world are much better. A guy like hamrlik could probably be traded to a low imcome team thats looking for a decent top 4 vet. Could maybe even get good value for him.

IMO if we can front load a guy like Kovalchuk our powerplay would significantly be better and have a 2nd impact player on the team. We will see what PG does at the draft. I hope they improve the team.

Ubercron9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 10:48 PM
Rgolt

Quote:
You can't shorten the term, but you may allow to put less money on a deal say this year to a later year to fit someone under contract.

Players have a lot of rights to make money and get money no matter what, how about making them be accountable to make that money and if not well your released and a UFA with the team off the hook for the salary.
it doesnt matter if you take some money off one year and switch it to another year bc the players cap hit is still the same so u dont save any money on the salary cap

p.s
gomez's contract is frontloaded
and cammys is actually the opposite, 5mill, 6mill, 7mill, 7mill

Old
06-16-2010, 10:50 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgolt View Post
it doesnt matter if you take some money off one year and switch it to another year bc the players cap hit is still the same so u dont save any money on the salary cap

p.s
gomez's contract is frontloaded
and cammys is actually the opposite, 5mill, 6mill, 7mill, 7mill
So how does the NFL do it under a salary cap with non-guaranteed contracts and ability to restructure contracts???

And I'm not talking about our current players, or the Habs in general. I am talking about the league as a whole.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 11:00 PM
Rgolt

Quote:
So how does the NFL do it under a salary cap with non-guaranteed contracts and ability to restructure contracts???

And I'm not talking about our current players, or the Habs in general. I am talking about the league as a whole.
the NFL has a completely different system
1) they have a much higher budget than the NHL
2) the non guaranteed+guaranteed contracts is a whole nother story and the amount that some players are getting guaranteed is ridiculous
3) the players have to agree to a restructured contract and usually they decline (see LT)

and ya i know, i was just talking about gomez and cammy contracts as fun facts, it had nothing to do with what u were saying

Old
06-16-2010, 11:09 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardo View Post
You buy him out I'm guessing.

When you buy someone out, you buy out his remaining salary, not his cap hit (I think).

Buying out the last two years of lecavaliers contract (1.5m and 1m) would cost 2/3 of 2.5m over 4 years, so something like 1.65m over 4 years, so only 400kish against the cap. That's why I want Vinny

That's NOT how it works. The Cap Hit if Lecavalier were bought out with 2 years left would be:

Second to last year: 7.727M normal hit, less cap savings of 1.083M = 6.643M for doing nothing.

Last year: 7.727M normal hit, less cap savings of 0.583 = 7.143M for doing nothing.

Year after contract would have been over: 0.417M instead of Zero.

Second Year after contract would have been over: 0.417M instead of Zero.

The problem with frontloaded contracts is that THE TEAM gets LESS BENEFIT from a late buyout.

Last edited by BaseballCoach: 06-16-2010 at 11:31 PM.
BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 11:20 PM
vesperal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardo View Post
How does it work?
CBA FAQ from the business of hockey section of this board :
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...8#post20630328

Go to section 4.5 Buy-out

vesperal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 09:12 AM
Galchenyuk94

Wow that sucks.

And you can't force him to retire...

No Vinny

Galchenyuk94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 11:37 AM
Smoke Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
That's NOT how it works. The Cap Hit if Lecavalier were bought out with 2 years left would be:

Second to last year: 7.727M normal hit, less cap savings of 1.083M = 6.643M for doing nothing.

Last year: 7.727M normal hit, less cap savings of 0.583 = 7.143M for doing nothing.

Year after contract would have been over: 0.417M instead of Zero.

Second Year after contract would have been over: 0.417M instead of Zero.

The problem with frontloaded contracts is that THE TEAM gets LESS BENEFIT from a late buyout.
I agree a buy-out is not a realistic option in huge long term contracts. But if the player retires or is still effective for the remainder of his contract than the cap saving long term contract has served its purpose admirably by providing the advantage of allowing the team to squeeze as much talent per cap-hit out of each player.

Smoke Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 11:55 AM
Smoke Monster

Montreal has to smarten up and take advantage of the cap savings that these long term contracts provide by allowing a team to squeeze extra talent per cap hit . If a player is not effective anymore than it will be in his interest to retire, thereby erasing his cap hit. A buy-out is not a realistic option for huge long term contracts. But if the player retires or is still effective for the remainder of his contract than the cap savings a long term contract provides to a team gives it a huge advantage by allowing it to squeeze every ounce of talent per cap-hit out of each player. The risk of signing a player to a long term contract is low when he has proved that he is not injury prone and also proven to be consistent like Plekanec, Kovalchuk, and Halak have. Long term contracts of 11-13 years are not so unusual anymore. Gomez, Ovechkin, Keith, Luongo, Zetterberg, Hossa, and Lecavalier have them. They are becoming the norm.

Last edited by Smoke Monster: 06-17-2010 at 12:23 PM.
Smoke Monster is offline   Reply With Quote