Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Nate Prosser?

Old
06-16-2010, 08:49 PM
melinko

vCash: 2551
Nate Prosser?

What do you think the chances are Nate Prosser makes the team out of camp?

Last year he looked great in his 3 games and was probably our 2nd/3rd best defenseman durring that stretch. Will he be given a serious look or will Stoner/Falk/Sifers/Noreau all be given every chance to take the spots available before he is given a chance?

Is he even signed for 2010/2011?

melinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 09:03 PM
Dr Jan Itor

vCash: 500
Unless he is the clear-cut best option, I would rather they give him an entire year down in Houston. There is no real reason to rush him, just let him develop.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 09:19 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by melinko View Post
What do you think the chances are Nate Prosser makes the team out of camp?

Last year he looked great in his 3 games and was probably our 2nd/3rd best defenseman durring that stretch. Will he be given a serious look or will Stoner/Falk/Sifers/Noreau all be given every chance to take the spots available before he is given a chance?

Is he even signed for 2010/2011?
I would say that it's slim. There are a lot of guys fighting for that one spot and while Prosser played well, he will have to outplay a couple guys in training camp to earn it.

As for his contract, technically he's not signed but that has to do with the undrafted free agent rules. Prosser will be re-signed.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 09:22 PM
Kari Takko

Barring any trades, there's one spot open on the blueline.

Considering the job will be given to Scandella/Cuma/Prosser/etc... I'd give Prosser a 1/6 chance of making the squad.

If the team is able to make a trade, then his chances are even better.

Kari Takko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 09:29 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 50
I think the open spot is Scandella's to lose coming into camp. Not saying it can't happen, but I think it's very unlikely at this point.

I do think Prosser has an NHL future ahead of him though, he actually impressed when he played for his short stint. He may have to spend a year or two in Houston before he gets his first legit shot.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 09:45 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

I believe it's probably Stoner's spot to lose for the #6 role coming into camp. That is of coarse presuming the Wild don't move a current defenseman.

I think Stoner's the best option at this point for that type of role. He's a serviceable player and he really doesn't have a higher ceiling. In Scandella's, Cuma's, and Prosser's cases; I view those players as players who could potentially develop into top 4 type of defenseman. And given their ages, I'd like to see them develop into those roles down in Houston playing in top 4 defenseman type of roles. If any of those players were to win a spot on the NHL team out of camp, it's going to be difficult for them to get the minutes to gain confidence and further their development. Especially out of the gate at least.

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 09:47 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

he should be playing every game, so if its not gonna be here it should be in Houston.

Simple as that. He should be an injury call up if he doesn't make the team out of camp.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 09:47 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
I believe it's probably Stoner's spot to lose for the #6 role coming into camp. That is of coarse presuming the Wild don't move a current defenseman.

I think Stoner's the best option at this point for that type of role. He's a serviceable player and he really doesn't have a higher ceiling. In Scandella's, Cuma's, and Prosser's cases; I view those players as players who could potentially develop into top 4 type of defenseman. And given their ages, I'd like to see them develop into those roles down in Houston playing in top 4 defenseman type of roles. If any of those players were to win a spot on the NHL team out of camp, it's going to be difficult for them to get the minutes to gain confidence and further their development. Especially out of the gate at least.
I think we're talking about the #7 spot being open, not the #6 spot. The only way the #6 spot comes into question is if Stoner gets injured I'd ASSume.

Old
06-16-2010, 09:50 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Ahhh. Sorry about that. Misunderstood what I was reading apparently.

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 09:54 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

No worries.

The #7 spot for a guy like Scandella or Cuma isn't bad at all, especially since it usually takes longer to adjust to the NHL on defense. It allows one of them to get their feet wet and progress at the NHL level and still learn on the job.

I think Scandella is the favorite coming into camp, but who knows, if Cuma is back on track after this offseason, he may surprise and take it. That's why I don't really expect Prosser has much of a chance at this point to make the team.

Either way, whomever takes the spot will do a hell of a lot better in that spot than Scott did.

Old
06-16-2010, 10:03 PM
melinko

vCash: 2551
I completely forgot about Scott, I was thinking there was space for 2 guys that weren't on the team last year. Prosser is 24 so he is likely to be in the NHL soon if he truly is a NHL caliber player.

I could see him being the first callup if someone gets injured on defense.

Edit: I agree with Scandella being the best bet out of the group I was just thinking I would rather be safe with him and go with Prosser rather than bringing Scandella up pretty much straight out of the QMJHL unless he is absolutely ready. (to avoid another Sheppard situation)

Last edited by melinko: 06-16-2010 at 10:08 PM.
melinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 10:18 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Remember, Scandella almost made the team last year... I don't think you have to worry about this being a "Sheppard" situation.

Old
06-16-2010, 11:12 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

I don't know if he'll make it or not but i don't expect much out of him if he does. I hope other people's (fans in general, not necessarily on HF) expectations are set low.

If all we're worried about is offense, might Noreau not get the call over everybody else? It doesn't look like we're even attempting a balanced D, so it doesn't seem as unlikely to me as it would normally.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 11:46 PM
mnwildgophers

I'd personally like to see Prosser, Scandella, and Cuma play in the AHL and play lots of minutes down there. I say if they are tearing it up down there, then you can always pull them up. They will need to learn the system, and with the new hirings, the transition should be easier.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 12:46 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Don't get me wrong, I want most players to get devlopment time in the AHL, but just because we had a bad GM previously who made horrible development decisions doesn't mean you close the door entirely on players making the jump to the NHL without AHL time.

Every single team in the league has players making that jump quite often. With some players, that is a better route. If Scandella deserves his NHL chance I am not at all against it.

Old
06-17-2010, 09:08 AM
nickschultzfan

I have zero interest in seeing Cuma, Scandella, or Faulk on the Wild next year. All need more seasoning.

Stoner will be on the Wild, barring some UFA signing. He looked good when he was healthy.

That means the #7 spot should be down to Noreau or Prosser.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 09:11 AM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
I noticed that the Wild did qualify him. Given his age you'd think he might be more ready than some of the younger guys, but I think some time in Houston would be a nice introduction to the rigors of pro hockey for him.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 09:14 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If Prosser, Cuma, or Scandella can win a top four role in camp, by all means. And it's not like we can't send them back down. It's obviously best for a young player to get a lot of minutes and see a lot of situations, but if any of them can do it very well at the NHL level (i.e. better than other guys on the roster), there's no reason to force them to play in the minors.

I think the key is as others have said, they have to play their role, wherever that may be. If Cuma has a really bad camp and can't even win a top four spot in Houston, maybe he plays another year in juniors.

That's why it was frustrating for players like Gillies, Sheppard, and Pouliot to be sitting on the fourth line or in the press box...if Shep or Pouls was supposed to be a top six player, they should have been playing a top six role, either in juniors, Houston, or here. Same with Gillies, did we draft him to be a fourth liner? Then why was he put in the NHL on the fourth line?

Ugh.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 09:17 AM
mnwildgophers

I think Scandella has the best shot of being ready for the NHL. He is probably our best prospect at this point, I'd put him above Cuma because of all of the injuries, but he should end up being really good. I know he challenged for a spot out of camp last year, but I do believe we did the right thing by sending him back to Jr's for another year and letting him develop more. He won't have as much time to impress this year because of the trip to Finland, but we will see what happens.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 09:19 AM
BigT2002

There are a few guys who busted their arses off last training camp and missed the cut. I'm expecting big things out of a few. Prosser needs Houston though.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote