HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks re-sign D Aaron Rome to 2-year deal ($750k per)

Old
06-17-2010, 11:41 AM
neksys

vCash: 500
I don't know if Rome has much further upside, but the biggest compliment I can pay to a bottom four defenceman is that I simply don't notice him very often. He rarely raised my eyebrows for better or for worse. Really good signing and I'm glad to have him on the team moving forward.

Its nice to see signs of a culture of guys playing their way onto the team rather than showing up assuming they have a spot - hope that work ethic only grows from here.

neksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 12:21 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by neksys View Post
I don't know if Rome has much further upside, but the biggest compliment I can pay to a bottom four defenceman is that I simply don't notice him very often. He rarely raised my eyebrows for better or for worse. Really good signing and I'm glad to have him on the team moving forward.

Its nice to see signs of a culture of guys playing their way onto the team rather than showing up assuming they have a spot - hope that work ethic only grows from here.
It seems Rome's best attribute is that he is coachable - it has been speculated by a couple of the Province hockey writers during several of the Live Chats that Bieksa's problem is that he is uncoachable. Bieksa simply does not listen or does not get what the coaches are trying to have him do.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 12:40 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:

My only real criticism of Rome's play was his completely inability to get a good shot off from the point. I often screamed at my TV when forwards passed the puck back to Rome at the blueline to fire a shot at the net, only for it to dribble feebly into the high slot and get picked off. He does a lot of things OK, but shooting the puck is not one of them.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 03:22 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
It seems Rome's best attribute is that he is coachable - it has been speculated by a couple of the Province hockey writers during several of the Live Chats that Bieksa's problem is that he is uncoachable. Bieksa simply does not listen or does not get what the coaches are trying to have him do.
How would these writers know though? Is he really uncoachable? Unless they had some sort of insider info... All the same, Bieksa simply has to be given fewer minutes or scratched a few times if he's still with the team next year and still making boneheaded plays.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 03:26 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
How would these writers know though? Is he really uncoachable? Unless they had some sort of insider info... All the same, Bieksa simply has to be given fewer minutes or scratched a few times if he's still with the team next year and still making boneheaded plays.
Kind of the ultimate insiders.

They watch the Canucks practise and play and are in daily contact with the players, coaches and management. Seems they would have a fairly good idea.

How many times would you have to hear a coach yell - "Gosh darn, daganabit Beeska what in tarnation are you doing out there" before it seems there may be a coachability issue?

Old
06-17-2010, 04:42 PM
Ernie

Vigneault is a French Canadian. That doesn't sound like him at all. Obviously he'd throw a "tabernak!" in there for good measure.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 04:52 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
Vigneault is a French Canadian. That doesn't sound like him at all. Obviously he'd throw a "tabernak!" in there for good measure.
That was Bowness.

Old
06-19-2010, 03:30 AM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

Bieksa admitted to being uncoachable:

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/B...695/story.html

"I'm not going to change the way I play"

Personally, I think Bowness had his hands full with those 2.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 09:34 AM
Slapshot_11

I remember a rumor that Bieksa told Linden to **** off when Linden tried to give him some tips.

Slapshot_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 10:11 AM
dangerous dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot_11 View Post
I remember a rumor that Bieksa told Linden to **** off when Linden tried to give him some tips.
I remember a rumor that Bieksa stole a freshly baked blueberry pie off Linden's windowsill that his wife left there to cool.

dangerous dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 11:00 AM
RobertKron

Quote:

Agreed. Guys like Rome and Tanner Glass winning regular spots last year, and even Shirokov making the team out of camp after his good preseason, show that this team is getting to be a lot deeper than it has been in a long time.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 11:15 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
Agreed. Guys like Rome and Tanner Glass winning regular spots last year, and even Shirokov making the team out of camp after his good preseason, show that this team is getting to be a lot deeper than it has been in a long time.
or lacked the depth to stop them

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote