HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues sign Nikita Nikitin

Old
06-15-2010, 09:46 AM
Robb_K

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garl View Post
You're talking about Nikita Nikitin?
Physical edge-not so much, definately weaker than Polak, not a total sissy though.
Good in own end-A big no, ask Avangard fans about that.
Good passes- Hadn't seen it in KHL.
Decent shot-not bad but not great too.

He is also a mediocre skater and is not really skilled. Junland for example is definately way better than him.
I guess one shouldn't believe everything he reads. If this is all true, why did The Blues sign him?

I assume that he's better in his own end than Wagner, otherwise, why would The Blues bother to sign this Russian (who can always be tempted by KHL money, and should be marginal in The NHL AT BEST)?

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 11:26 AM
ChicagoBlues

I definitely have not been following Nikitin at all, so I am relying on Blues management (including JK) and their scouting acumen. At the same time the comments by some Russian fans is alarming.

What gives?

Is Nikitin really that bad? If he is anything like Wagner, then he should stay in Europe.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 11:49 AM
EOM

The way I see it, either he's good enough that the front office thinks he has a chance to make the team, or he's not good enough and they signed him in order to increase competition at camp (make the other guys work harder).

EOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 03:37 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOM View Post
The way I see it, either he's good enough that the front office thinks he has a chance to make the team, or he's not good enough and they signed him in order to increase competition at camp (make the other guys work harder).
I don't believe THIS is the case. Why sign a Russian, who can make KHL money, rather than AHL peanuts, and, thus, will not likely want to play more than a half season there, when they could sign a North American marginal defenceman?

In the latter scenario, they'd get their added competition, and maybe a little veteran pro defensive help for Peoria. Why bring an NHL marginal (at best) Russian over, only to fail to make the team? Maybe he'll get soured on his perceived future chances with The Blues. They should have only signed him if they think he's finally ready, and that he has an actual decent opportunity (at least 35% chance) to make the NHL team.

Old
06-15-2010, 05:37 PM
EOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
I don't believe THIS is the case. Why sign a Russian, who can make KHL money, rather than AHL peanuts, and, thus, will not likely want to play more than a half season there, when they could sign a North American marginal defenceman?

In the latter scenario, they'd get their added competition, and maybe a little veteran pro defensive help for Peoria. Why bring an NHL marginal (at best) Russian over, only to fail to make the team? Maybe he'll get soured on his perceived future chances with The Blues. They should have only signed him if they think he's finally ready, and that he has an actual decent opportunity (at least 35% chance) to make the NHL team.
Good point, maybe they like his potential but want him in Peoria?

EOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 12:28 AM
Scouter

vCash: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by EOM View Post
Even if he's solid, he'll have a tough time cracking the Blues' defensive roster. Unless we move Jackman or Brewer or both.
Not so if Cola, Sydor and Weaver are all gone.

Nitkitin, according to one who scouts Russians A. S. Rosso, will be at least a 5-6 D man for St. Louis, if not a 3-4.

Scouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 09:38 AM
Zine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post

Nikitin is trying the NHL because Avangard will likely offer him a contract worth 25-30% less than his last one....although media reports said he might still play KHL if he doesn't make St. Louis.

Basically, Avangard dipped strongly into the free agent market and, therefore, are offering their crap players less.

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 11:34 AM
mmitchell19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
Nikitin is trying the NHL because Avangard will likely offer him a contract worth 25-30% less than his last one....although media reports said he might still play KHL if he doesn't make St. Louis.

Basically, Avangard dipped strongly into the free agent market and, therefore, are offering their crap players less.
Well, sheesh...now he's a "crap player" in the KHL?

This dude is building up a lot of intrigue...can't wait to see which accounts of him are more accurate.

mmitchell19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 12:27 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmitchell19 View Post
Well, sheesh...now he's a "crap player" in the KHL?

This dude is building up a lot of intrigue...can't wait to see which accounts of him are more accurate.
No kidding!! I am dying (literally dying) to know what The Great Nikitin can bring to the table. More mediocrity? Or NHL skill?

If he was "crap", then I highly doubt Army/JD would have signed him. A few have argued that Nikitin will be brought in to provide fear and competition no matter how "crappy" he is. But I don't buy that for a minute.

I think Nikitin probably pissed off some people and is now a pariah.
Europeans can be quite petty sometimes. Nikitin probably said that he wanted to play in The NHL or leave Russia and was labeled a non-patriot; similar to what is happening here. Just a guess, but I'm willing to venture.

Last edited by ChicagoBlues: 06-16-2010 at 12:59 PM. Reason: typo
Old
06-16-2010, 12:50 PM
Zine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
No kidding!! I am dying (literally dying) to know what The Great Nikitin can bring to the table. More mediocrity? Or NHL skill?

If he was "crap", then there I highly doubt Army/JD would have signed him. A few have argued that Nikitin will be brought in to provide fear and competition no matter how "crappy" he is. But I don't buy that for a minute.

I think Nikitin probably pissed off some people and is now a pariah.
Europeans can be quite petty sometimes. Nikitin probably said that he wanted to play in The NHL or leave Russia and was labeled a non-patriot; similar to what is happening here. Just a guess, but I'm willing to venture.
Ah yes, and here comes the time-tested conspiracy theories.

Obviously Nikitin isn't crap, but he hasn't shown much to suggest the capability to be an NHL regular. Come playoff time, he was basically Avangard's #5-6 defenseman....and he's already 24 y.o.
I don't know what else to tell you.

Old
06-16-2010, 12:59 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Ah yes, and here comes the time-tested conspiracy theories.

Obviously Nikitin isn't crap, but he hasn't shown much to suggest the capability to be an NHL regular. Come playoff time, he was basically Avangard's #5-6 defenseman....and he's already 24 y.o.
I don't know what else to tell you.
Call it whatever you want. Incisive explanations are not most people's forté.

I called it a guess based on experience and knowledge of human behavior and psychological processes. Those who choose not fathom the prospect label it a conspiracy theory. Those who are not willing to venture or have no balls to try label such incisiveness as conspiracy theory.

Old
06-16-2010, 01:25 PM
Zine

Quote:
Call it whatever you want. Incisive explanations are not most people's forté.

I called it a guess based on experience and knowledge of human behavior and psychological processes. Those who choose not fathom the prospect label it a conspiracy theory. Those who are not willing to venture or have no balls to try label such incisiveness as conspiracy theory.

....the exact reason your post was ridiculed.

Without having adequate knowledge of Nikitin’s play or the situation surrounding his signing, you obviously don’t possess the required facts to make even a simple educated guess…..hence why I labeled your ‘assumption’ as nothing more than a stereotype.

Knowledge of human behavior and psychological processes?

Last edited by Zine: 06-16-2010 at 01:43 PM.
Old
06-16-2010, 01:50 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
....the exact reason your post was ridiculed.

Without having adequate knowledge of Nikitin’s play or the situation surrounding his signing, you obviously don’t possess the required facts to make even a simple educated guess…..hence why I labeled your ‘assumption’ as nothing more than a stereotype.

Knowledge of human behavior and psychological processes?
Again...whatever dude. I am just putting something out there. Accuracy aside I am questioning in a healthy way. None of us know exactly what is going on and we never will. But what is clear is that Nikitin is getting ripped by more than a few posters now, so why would he be signed if he is that bad? Something smells fishy.

If you are not willing to put yourself out there and take a chance or a risk with your thoughts, then I feel sorry for you.

I don't mind being wrong and I am not afraid to take a chance. I can make as many unedumacated an uninformed guesses as I please.

Old
06-16-2010, 02:12 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Again...whatever dude. I am just putting something out there. Accuracy aside I am questioning in a healthy way. None of us know exactly what is going on and we never will. But what is clear is that Nikitin is getting ripped by more than a few posters now, so why would he be signed if he is that bad? Something smells fishy.

If you are not willing to put yourself out there and take a chance or a risk with your thoughts, then I feel sorry for you.

I don't mind being wrong and I am not afraid to take a chance. I can make as many unedumacated an uninformed guesses as I please.
Agreed. What really is going on? Probably won't know until training camp.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 02:36 PM
Zine

Quote:

He's not getting 'ripped on' as much as the truth told about his play......mainly in response to all the excitement about him in this thread.
What do you want me to say? Should I agree with every poster who hasn't seen him and tell you what an intriguing signing you have?
Like I already stated, he's trying the NHL because Avangard is offering him a reduced contract, yet he might return if he ends up in the AHL.
Nikitin has some average skills but is a boneheaded player. One can only imagine how many more mistakes he'll make when under heavier pressure on small ice.

Whatever, you'll soon find out for yourself.

Old
06-16-2010, 03:31 PM
Gaels

This may be even more far fetched but does he play with or is he good friends with any of the russians going in the 1st round this year? Does anyone know?

Gaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 06:56 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaels View Post
This may be even more far fetched but does he play with or is he good friends with any of the russians going in the 1st round this year? Does anyone know?
I don't think this is far-fetched at all. Stupid **** like this is exactly what people really do. Later they may come out in some press conference claiming what the truth is, but they'll make up something lame. Who wants to admit that it was personal or political?

I won't believe anyone here making comments on Nikitin's skill set. I'll wait and watch him myself when he gets here for camp. This whole thing reeks. It has been SIX years since he was drafted. That is a long time for The Blues' outstanding scouting team to evaluate Nikitin.

That's why this stinks so bad and makes me think that it is something non-hockey related. Truth is often petty dumb ****.

Or maybe Nikitin really does suck and they wanna bring him in to make sure.

Old
06-16-2010, 07:26 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
He's not getting 'ripped on' as much as the truth told about his play......mainly in response to all the excitement about him in this thread.
What do you want me to say? Should I agree with every poster who hasn't seen him and tell you what an intriguing signing you have?
Like I already stated, he's trying the NHL because Avangard is offering him a reduced contract, yet he might return if he ends up in the AHL.
Nikitin has some average skills but is a boneheaded player. One can only imagine how many more mistakes he'll make when under heavier pressure on small ice.

Whatever, you'll soon find out for yourself.
Why would The Blues bother to sign a slightly below average Russian KHLer, to end up being their #6 defenceman (at best), sit in the press box, or fail to make their NHL roster, stew in Peoria for a few months and return to Russia, or return to Russia directly after failing to make their NHL roster?

Why not just sign a typical North American NHL #5-6 defenceman? Is it because they can pay him less money? What The Blues DON'T need is an averaged skilled, BONEHEADED defenceman. They need to tighten up their loose defence, add a physical deterrent to opposing forwards, and add a player who regularly makes good outlet passes and can carry the puck out of the defensive zone with authority, and has a good shot and offensive awareness (good passer in the O zone and can lead the rush). Better to not bother with Nikitin, and sign Paul Martin (somehow getting rid of Brewer's contract), and let Colaiacovo fill in the roster.

Colaiacovo will want $2.6-3 million. But can he get that? I'd rather have them resign him for $2.3 million, than Nikitin at $1.7 million. I wonder how much Nikitin's NHL contract pays for this coming year?

Old
06-16-2010, 08:18 PM
ibleedblue8

Nikitin's deal will pay him 800k if he makes the NHL team. This is according to capgeek and if we are looking for a d-man that doesn't make boneheaded plays, then we should not even consider bringing Colaiacovo back. Maybe the reason that they signed Nikitin is that there is no risk to it at all. If he shows up and makes the team then great. If he doesn't and spends time in Peoria, that is more depth down there. If he doesn't make the team and returns to Russia then the Blues don't have to pay him anything and its like he was never even here. All this is is the Blues just creating more depth at little expense. Having depth is never a bad thing.

ibleedblue8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 10:12 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibleedblue8 View Post
Nikitin's deal will pay him 800k if he makes the NHL team. This is according to capgeek and if we are looking for a d-man that doesn't make boneheaded plays, then we should not even consider bringing Colaiacovo back. Maybe the reason that they signed Nikitin is that there is no risk to it at all. If he shows up and makes the team then great. If he doesn't and spends time in Peoria, that is more depth down there. If he doesn't make the team and returns to Russia then the Blues don't have to pay him anything and its like he was never even here. All this is is the Blues just creating more depth at little expense. Having depth is never a bad thing.
Yep, it's a fairly low risk move by the Blues. Obviously, they hope they have something in Nikitin but in the worst case scenario that he blows and returns to the KHL (not sure how that would work since even though the KHL and NHL don't have a transfer agreement in place, they have agreed to not sign players when the other league already has that player signed) all the Blues would be out would be the $150k signing bonus they gave Nikitin. That's still a good chunk of change but not huge and likely worth the risk of potentially finding a cheap 3rd pairing d-man. Here's to hoping Nikitin shows up at camp and impresses.

For any of the Russian posters, any idea what Nikitin has been making and could possibly make going forward in the KHL?

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 09:06 AM
St.Louis sports fan

Well, the Blues are the same organization that resigned Brewer and traded Palushaj for a worthless fringe 4th liner so maybe they arent as smart as we all thought and hoped they were. Let's just hope that they have people in Peoria next year that actually develop prospects because there will be alot of them there next saeson. However, the signing of Nikitin does sound puzzleing given all the negativity from those who have seen him play.

St.Louis sports fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 01:20 PM
ibleedblue8

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Louis sports fan View Post
Well, the Blues are the same organization that resigned Brewer and traded Palushaj for a worthless fringe 4th liner so maybe they arent as smart as we all thought and hoped they were. Let's just hope that they have people in Peoria next year that actually develop prospects because there will be alot of them there next saeson. However, the signing of Nikitin does sound puzzleing given all the negativity from those who have seen him play.
Not every team is perfect. We have also made some very good moves as well, the McDonald trade and Mason trade for example. Every team has their good and bad moves.

ibleedblue8 is offline   Reply With Quote