HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & roster Moves (related topics here) IX

Closed Thread

Old
06-16-2010, 01:39 PM
ABasin
Beer is good food

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctor View Post
Yeah, I see you point. It is kinda sad. But, I'm also happy it ends a lack of accountability for poor choices in UFA. I *hate* the way baseball is stagnant at the top with the same teams buying their way to contending each year, and one-year wonders dismantled as their players get massive paydays from those other teams. that situation is worse by far.

I failed to include they also signed Hossa as a UFA. Without him and the 2 aforementioned guys, this team is in no danger of being broken up. They'd have retained every home grown guy easily.
Maybe a rule could be put in place where teams have a certain amount counted against their cap for home-grown players, and 100% against the cap for UFAs. I'm just thinking off the top of my head here, and I'm sure there's something wrong with that idea (for example, a traded player really has no control over that, and could be penalized), but if there's a way to reward a team that does it "the right way", I'd like to support it.

-AB

Old
06-16-2010, 02:04 PM
thedoctor
                    

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
Maybe a rule could be put in place where teams have a certain amount counted against their cap for home-grown players, and 100% against the cap for UFAs. I'm just thinking off the top of my head here, and I'm sure there's something wrong with that idea (for example, a traded player really has no control over that, and could be penalized), but if there's a way to reward a team that does it "the right way", I'd like to support it.

-AB
The NBA does something similar, where a player's original team can offer their own players more than outside teams can. Salary limits aren't really touched in the NHL though.

I like the idea of having home-grown players count only like 80% on the cap. I doubt the owners would go for it as a blanket system, as it would make the cap floor teams spend more real money. If it was just an option, it makes them look that much worse to their fans.

More realistic would be a franchise tagging system like the NFL has, only instead of forcing the player to stay against their will, it's a way of tagging one or 2 players as you drafted and developed as counting less against the cap. Less monetary burden on the cap floor teams, but some benefit to home-growing stars.

Old
06-16-2010, 02:10 PM
jaisen73

I am normally not a Brian Burke fan but I like his idea of a team who is trading a player agreeing to cover part of that player's salary for the remainder of the contract. And this idea could be contained by a simple provision that says the team trading away Player X can only retain up to 20 percent of his contract. This would make it easier for teams to move big contracts players (see Brian Campbell or Spezza, etc.).

Old
06-16-2010, 03:00 PM
Starrlinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Still a strong team , Bottom 6 is weaker but overall still a contender
Eh, depends how you define contender I suppose. They won't be a top seed, but should make the playoffs with that lineup. It's a decent team but no where near the team it was. Yes, the top two lines and defensive pairings will still be very good but the significant drop off from there will hurt. One of the strengths of their team this year was their supreme depth that no one could match. Losing a key player in Sharp and significant role players in Versteeg, Ladd, and Kopecky will hurt a lot. Even Sopel was pretty solid in the playoffs I thought.

Old
06-16-2010, 03:55 PM
Pure

I like the system fine as it is. The best GMs should get their players to sign discount contracts, thats part of their job. If they can't do it, certain players have to be traded and replaced with more from the pipeline, thats another tough but necessary decision for the GMs. Let the GMs who overpay live with their mistakes. We already have the ability to dump contracts in the minors, don't need to give them anymore.

Old
06-16-2010, 06:35 PM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

I hope we'll see teams allowed to somehow trade their cap. It helps big market teams that can afford to pay. It helps small market teams to dump salary while staying about the cap floor (cap floor is ~40M this year, much higher than the lowest spending teams in 2004 before the lockout). It doesnt hurt the players as there is still lots of money being paid in salaries.

Old
06-16-2010, 10:45 PM
Colorado Sports Fan

Red Wings extend Bertuzzi for 2 more years. May the curse continue to be on their house.

Old
06-16-2010, 11:40 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

And que the "He should be really motivated and bounce back."

Old
06-17-2010, 03:56 AM
Muffin
Avalanche Flavoured

Florida looks to be blowing their team up, someone like Horton would definitely be a good addition. Booth would be nice, but Darren Dreger says he's untouchable.

Old
06-17-2010, 09:39 AM
jaisen73

I think Florida will be active and I wouldn't be surprised if some of those up-for-grabs Chicago players wind up in Florida under new GM Tallon. Still, Horton would be a nice addition, as would Weiss or, despite the clubbing to his goalies head, once-upon-a-time Avs prospect Keith Ballard.

Old
06-17-2010, 02:19 PM
PeterTheGreat

I'd pass on the Florida forwards. Nothing really entices me there.

However I would definitely try and bring Ballard in (back). He would be a great addition.

Old
06-17-2010, 03:43 PM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
Sorry guys, have to close this thread.

Closed Thread