HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Am I the Only One

Old
06-13-2010, 11:12 AM
Que Sera Sera

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Que Sera Sera
Am I the Only One

... who doesn't cheer for the country they live in for international play? I am Canadian born, Canadian raised, I live in Canada and I actually consider myself a patriot (I will be joining the army in a few years to fight for my country if the need be) but I cannot stand our hockey team. I cheer for team Sweden instead, and I get flak for it all the time. People have told me I'm not "a real Canadian" and "unpatriotic".
Am I the only one?

Que Sera Sera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 01:09 PM
usahockey22flyers
Forza Roma

Why do you not like Canada's hockey team? And also, i love the avatar

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 01:29 PM
Nakawick

lol, Why don't you like the national team? The players all always changing. It seems irrational.

No worries, Sometimes mothers kill their own children, dogs sniff each others butts, people commit suicide, etc,.. Canada is a free country, you can cheer for whoever you want.

Nakawick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 09:07 PM
Klaus
Teemu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakawick View Post
lol, Why don't you like the national team? The players all always changing. It seems irrational.

No worries, Sometimes mothers kill their own children, dogs sniff each others butts, people commit suicide, etc,.. Canada is a free country, you can cheer for whoever you want.

Pretty sure this fellow has said before he doesn't cheer for Canada because of the fans, or something. Seems strange to me, it's not as if other countries don't have irritating fans, but hey, it's a free country.

Anyways I cheer for Canada first and foremost, and then Finland.

Last edited by Klaus: 12-23-2010 at 01:13 AM.
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 11:57 PM
afrobomber11

if you dont like our national team then you can geeeeeeeeeet out!!!!

afrobomber11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 06:15 AM
Muuri

Of all teams, why Sweden?

Muuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 06:54 AM
usahockey22flyers
Forza Roma

If you were an american, i would be flllllllllllippppping out lol

Old
06-15-2010, 12:33 PM
Que Sera Sera

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecyferDown View Post
Pretty sure this fellow has said before he doesn't cheer for Canada because of the fans, or something. Seems strange to me, it's not as if other countries don't have irritating fans, but hey, it's a free country.

Anyways I cheer for Canada first and foremost, although I've been known to also cheer for Finland on occasion. And underdogs in general too, I guess.
My reasoning is basically this:
How often do you see Canadians cheering for Team Canada in the World Cup of soccer? You don't, that's it. Because Canadians love to win. There's nothing wrong with having a drive to be victorious and a desire to win, but Canadian sports fans take it too far to the extreme: they don't cheer for Team Canada if Team Canada isn't going to win.
Look at this years' world championships! It was barely talked about in Canada, despite being an IIHF event on the same level as the Olympics. What's the reason for this? Canada didn't look like they were going to win. When it's a tournament that Canada is outclassed in, it's inferior, it's for Europeans, and Canada sent their Z Team. NO OTHER COUNTRY behaves this way! It's infuriating to watch people that I consider my peers disgrace the sport of hockey by telling me that the World Championships are a worthless, European-made event.
Another piece of evidence: the WJC. The WJC is an insignificant tournament, especially compared to the World Championships, but nonetheless it receives gratuitous publicity in Canada because Canada usually either wins or finishes very, very high. And since Canada usually wins, Canadian hockey fans pretend that it's a bigger deal than the WCs. I do not wish to be associated with these people, so I do not cheer for Team Canada.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muuri View Post
I love big ice hockey, and I am a huge fan of players like Lidstrom, Backstrom, I was a big-time Tommy Salo supporter (and his incredible headers ) and I am just starting to get excited about players like MPS, Lander, Hedman, et al.
Hope that answers your question.

Old
06-15-2010, 12:33 PM
Que Sera Sera

Quote:
Originally Posted by usahockey22flyers View Post
Why do you not like Canada's hockey team? And also, i love the avatar
I wonder what my avatar was at the time you said this

Old
06-15-2010, 01:00 PM
Uncle Rotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muuri View Post
"Torpedo" fetish?

Uncle Rotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 01:03 PM
Que Sera Sera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rotter View Post
"Torpedo" fetish?

Clever.

Old
06-15-2010, 01:18 PM
Uncle Rotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Oil View Post
Look at this years' world championships! It was barely talked about in Canada, despite being an IIHF event on the same level as the Olympics. What's the reason for this? Canada didn't look like they were going to win. When it's a tournament that Canada is outclassed in, it's inferior, it's for Europeans, and Canada sent their Z Team.
Was it being ignored any more this year than any of the last 7, when Canada made the Finals 6 times? And I don't think you'll find agreement in Sweden with the assertion that the World Championships are at the same level as the Olympics.

Uncle Rotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 02:02 PM
usahockey22flyers
Forza Roma

Quote:
I wonder what my avatar was at the time you said this
Haha still Toby

Old
06-15-2010, 02:48 PM
Tomas W

That's a bit odd. It's not strange to like some foreign players, maybe you simply like how they play and/or they plays for "your" hockey club, but to cheer for another country...probably not that usual.

But of course I give a for you choice to cheer for Sweden.

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 03:33 PM
NMF78

My national team plays at a really low level and i'm a fan of Russian/USSR Hockey so i cheer/support Russia & Russian hockey players.

NMF78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 04:55 PM
Nakawick

Quote:
My reasoning is basically this:
How often do you see Canadians cheering for Team Canada in the World Cup of soccer? You don't, that's it. Because Canadians love to win. There's nothing wrong with having a drive to be victorious and a desire to win, but Canadian sports fans take it too far to the extreme: they don't cheer for Team Canada if Team Canada isn't going to win.
lol, what? how are Canadians suppose to cheer for Canada at the world cup of soccer when there is no team to cheer for?

Quote:
Look at this years' world championships! It was barely talked about in Canada, despite being an IIHF event on the same level as the Olympics. What's the reason for this? Canada didn't look like they were going to win. When it's a tournament that Canada is outclassed in, it's inferior, it's for Europeans, and Canada sent their Z Team. NO OTHER COUNTRY behaves this way! It's infuriating to watch people that I consider my peers disgrace the sport of hockey by telling me that the World Championships are a worthless, European-made event.
Another piece of evidence: the WJC. The WJC is an insignificant tournament, especially compared to the World Championships, but nonetheless it receives gratuitous publicity in Canada because Canada usually either wins or finishes very, very high. And since Canada usually wins, Canadian hockey fans pretend that it's a bigger deal than the WCs. I do not wish to be associated with these people, so I do not cheer for Team Canada.
So basically you don't like the fact that Canada has never held the World Championships in high regard, despite being one of the most successful nations? Major junior hockey is huge in Canada. The WJH championships takes place over the Christmas holidays and is pretty well part of the holiday season. It shows top level prospects from all countries.

Sorry dude, but I ain't following your logic. You are saying you don't cheer for Canada because most other of your countrymen place greater prestige on some international tournaments and not others? Dude?

Nakawick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 12:59 PM
Que Sera Sera

Quote:
lol, what? how are Canadians suppose to cheer for Canada at the world cup of soccer when there is no team to cheer for?
I cheered for Canada through the qualifiers, and when they lost, I was upset. Now I am just cheering for the teams that would make the most epic finals, instead of adopting a new favourite team just because Canada isn't as good as I'd like them to be.

Quote:
So basically you don't like the fact that Canada has never held the World Championships in high regard, despite being one of the most successful nations? Major junior hockey is huge in Canada. The WJH championships takes place over the Christmas holidays and is pretty well part of the holiday season. It shows top level prospects from all countries.
I don't like the fact that Canada, and Canadian hockey fans as a group, pretend that the World Championship is an inferior tournament when their favourite tournament besides the Olympics could not possibly be any less important.

Quote:
Sorry dude, but I ain't following your logic. You are saying you don't cheer for Canada because most other of your countrymen place greater prestige on some international tournaments and not others? Dude?
I see that.

Old
06-17-2010, 04:56 PM
Tony Piscotta
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
... who doesn't cheer for the country they live in for international play? I am Canadian born, Canadian raised, I live in Canada and I actually consider myself a patriot (I will be joining the army in a few years to fight for my country if the need be) but I cannot stand our hockey team. I cheer for team Sweden instead, and I get flak for it all the time. People have told me I'm not "a real Canadian" and "unpatriotic".
Am I the only one?
Was with you until the Sweden part... .

Actually, I root for the USA on the men's side but since I like to root for the underdog have trouble when it comes to the women's side - except when they're playing Canada of course.

But really, Sweden??? Shheeesh!

Tony Piscotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 06:23 PM
Klaus
Teemu!

IMO your reasoning for cheering for Sweden made sense, you love the big ice and the players. But you don't think not cheering for your country just because of some of it's fans is a bit silly? Why do you care so much about what other fans think or do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rotter View Post
Was it being ignored any more this year than any of the last 7, when Canada made the Finals 6 times? And I don't think you'll find agreement in Sweden with the assertion that the World Championships are at the same level as the Olympics.
Amen

Last edited by Klaus: 06-17-2010 at 06:29 PM.
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote