HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

How long before general consensus...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-17-2010, 08:05 PM
  #1
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 18,774
vCash: 500
How long before general consensus...

Seems the general consensus is the Habs got screwed on this trade (shocking)...I wanna know, because it never fails, how long until everyone is on the Lars Eller (and inevitably Ian Schultz) bandwagon?

I asked this after all our offseason moves last year because after the shock of the trade has worn off, and we've seen Eller at the evaluation/rookie/training camps, the same people who are bashing Gauthier today will eventually get a look at Eller and realize we got a pretty good player...

The anger at all of Gainey's moves eventually faded and gave way to full out support for the Habs, how long before Lars Eller is the next __________ (insert inevitable comparison to a Habs legend)/?

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 08:08 PM
  #2
hogtownhabsfan
Registered User
 
hogtownhabsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,676
vCash: 500
I give it about 2 weeks into the season...

hogtownhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 08:12 PM
  #3
InglewoodJack
Registered User
 
InglewoodJack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Châteauguay
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,638
vCash: 500
About as long as it took everyone to get on the Pouliot wagin'

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 08:13 PM
  #4
Gary320
Moderator
 
Gary320's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 11,175
vCash: 500
People will jump quickly on the bandwagon that people will start saying as if everything Halak did in the play ofsf was because of great defence... you know it's going to happen.

Anyway, I am on the.. both team won the trade fence.

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 08:14 PM
  #5
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 18,774
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
I give it about 2 weeks into the season...
that long?

I give it 1 month...i'm not sure if Eller will be at the rookie evaluation camp in July, but if he is, I suspect that about 1/3 of the whiners on this board will have converted.

That should get the ball rolling

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 08:16 PM
  #6
kernkraft
Registered User
 
kernkraft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,986
vCash: 500
My off-season plan included trading Halak for Perron. I wasn't that far off:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernkraft View Post
Got bored so made up a next-year line-up


Sign Marleau instead of Pleks
Trade Halak and S.Kostitsyn to St-Louis for Perron and 2nd round pick
Get rid of Harmlik

Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta
A.Kostitsyn-Marleau-Cammalleri
Pacioretty-Engqvist-Perron
Moen-Lapierre-White

Price
Desjardins


Didn't feel like messing with the D

We'll have to see how Eller fares in the pre-season as a center before I reserve judgment.

Halak was great for us, but after sticking by Price (who's just 23 shall I add) for so many turns, you can't quit now.


Last edited by kernkraft: 06-17-2010 at 08:27 PM.
kernkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 08:20 PM
  #7
CareyClutch
Doing the job
 
CareyClutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: North Korea
Posts: 4,941
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
I'm already on Lars Eller Wagon

see my avatar

CareyClutch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 08:27 PM
  #8
neopreneur
Registered User
 
neopreneur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Providenciales, TCI
Posts: 1,778
vCash: 500
Eller >>>>> Leblanc


neopreneur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 08:29 PM
  #9
E = CH²
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 13,892
vCash: 500
Let's hope Eller is a Martin type player because if he isn't, he'll spend his games on the bench for 55 minutes and lose all confidence.

Let's also hope Plekanec re-signs because if Eller is thrown into the fire in a 2nd line C role, things could get ugly real quick.

And finally, let's hope the habs win because if we lose a lot at the start, and that Halak is doing well in St-Louis, it's going to be the biggest **** storm you guys have ever seen regardless of if Price is doing well or not.

Just warning you that these bandwagons can definitely go both ways.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 08:35 PM
  #10
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Seems the general consensus is the Habs got screwed on this trade (shocking)...I wanna know, because it never fails, how long until everyone is on the Lars Eller (and inevitably Ian Schultz) bandwagon?

I asked this after all our offseason moves last year because after the shock of the trade has worn off, and we've seen Eller at the evaluation/rookie/training camps, the same people who are bashing Gauthier today will eventually get a look at Eller and realize we got a pretty good player...

The anger at all of Gainey's moves eventually faded and gave way to full out support for the Habs, how long before Lars Eller is the next __________ (insert inevitable comparison to a Habs legend)/?
The day that the fans will love the TEAM instead of individual players, we might start somewhere.

If we're a better team because Eller will bring a new dimension to this team AND because Price will finally become the goalie we all hope he becomes, everybody will be on this team's and on this trade's bandwagon.

If Eller scores 50 goals but if Price allows 6 goals a game.....not sure what it will mean to be on Eller's bandwagon.....

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 08:37 PM
  #11
schumway2
Registered User
 
schumway2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,080
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neopreneur View Post
Eller >>>>> Leblanc

LOL. What's so funny? That's 100% correct.

schumway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 08:39 PM
  #12
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Midgetland
Country: Martinique
Posts: 5,679
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Let's hope Eller is a Martin type player because if he isn't, he'll spend his games on the bench for 55 minutes and lose all confidence.

Let's also hope Plekanec re-signs because if Eller is thrown into the fire in a 2nd line C role, things could get ugly real quick.

And finally, let's hope the habs win because if we lose a lot at the start, and that Halak is doing well in St-Louis, it's going to be the biggest **** storm you guys have ever seen regardless of if Price is doing well or not.

Just warning you that these bandwagons can definitely go both ways.
They don't do this in Montreal and historically speaking they haven't done so in many years. Chipchura, Maxwell, Lapierre and Plekanec all started on the 4th line then were progressively given more important roles on 3rd, & 2nd. I don't expect Eller to be given any different treatment. If one of Pouliot or AK just misses the boat completely, then I'd see Eller being tried out on the wing.

Only on these boards, where prospects are always overestimated, you find people slotting inexperienced players who aren't superstars in these kind of roles.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 08:40 PM
  #13
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby
 
RoyBoyCoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lennoxville, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by schumway2 View Post
LOL. What's so funny? That's 100% correct.
True that! Eller instantly becomes our 2nd, or even 1b prospect behind Subban.

Subban
Eller
(Pacioretty here if you count him)
Kristo
Leblanc
Bennett

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 08:43 PM
  #14
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole
 
Munchausen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Stuck in traffic
Posts: 5,330
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Seems the general consensus is the Habs got screwed on this trade (shocking)...I wanna know, because it never fails, how long until everyone is on the Lars Eller (and inevitably Ian Schultz) bandwagon?

I asked this after all our offseason moves last year because after the shock of the trade has worn off, and we've seen Eller at the evaluation/rookie/training camps, the same people who are bashing Gauthier today will eventually get a look at Eller and realize we got a pretty good player...

The anger at all of Gainey's moves eventually faded and gave way to full out support for the Habs, how long before Lars Eller is the next __________ (insert inevitable comparison to a Habs legend)/?
You can be annoyed by it 417, but I hope you're no longer surprised when it happens. Fans are emotional, fickle and often uninformed.

To answer your question: when Eller scores his first goal as a Hab.

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 08:43 PM
  #15
RE-HABS
Registered User
 
RE-HABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,885
vCash: 500
I don't think you can say who won this deal until the end of next season, or maybe longer.

Halak is going to have to be super human for a season in front of a D that isn't as strong as ours and with less offensive flair up front.

Ellers is coming here to crack the line up and to play, Halak has been traded to carry a team...pressure is less here, even with the fans and media considering.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 08:43 PM
  #16
E = CH²
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 13,892
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
They don't do this in Montreal and historically speaking they haven't done so in many years. Chipchura, Maxwell, Lapierre and Plekanec all started on the 4th line then were progressively given more important roles on 3rd, & 2nd. I don't expect Eller to be given any different treatment. If one of Pouliot or AK just misses the boat completely, then I'd see Eller being tried out on the wing.

Only on these boards, where prospects are always overestimated, you find people slotting inexperienced players who aren't superstars in these kind of roles.
I 100% agree. In my mind, there's no way that Eller can fill Plekanec's position. But should Plekanec not sign, there aren't a ton of options out there to replace him.

Also, injuries could force Eller into that spot.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 08:44 PM
  #17
uiCk
GrEmelins
 
uiCk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,198
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Let's hope Eller is a Martin type player because if he isn't, he'll spend his games on the bench for 55 minutes and lose all confidence.

Let's also hope Plekanec re-signs because if Eller is thrown into the fire in a 2nd line C role, things could get ugly real quick.

And finally, let's hope the habs win because if we lose a lot at the start, and that Halak is doing well in St-Louis, it's going to be the biggest **** storm you guys have ever seen regardless of if Price is doing well or not.

Just warning you that these bandwagons can definitely go both ways.
also quoting this, since i heard the PG conference on team 990, he said that he will most likley play with the team this year, and become part of top 6 in the forseable future. what i understood, he wont be top 6 this year unless he's really ready.

uiCk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 08:48 PM
  #18
Craig71
Registered User
 
Craig71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,576
vCash: 500
From what I have seen no one here is immuned to the bandwagon. I love it when some posters say how they are different than the majority of this board when in actual fact they are not.lol. It almost seems God like how these posts about the whiners and crybabies are always started. Freedom of speech is ok, if your opinion differs then great, but unless you are Pierre Gauthier with a nice avatar and catchy user name then I suggest you take a bandwagon seat with everyone else, your seat is still there just how you left it!!

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 08:52 PM
  #19
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 18,774
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen View Post
You can be annoyed by it 417, but I hope you're no longer surprised when it happens. Fans are emotional, fickle and often uninformed.

To answer your question: when Eller scores his first goal as a Hab.
what a dangerous cocktail!

But for real...you would think after all we went through last offseason and all the overreactions, people would look at this trade objectively and take a step back and take their time before making blanket statements

I don't want to sound like i'm supporting blindly following whatever management does...but at least give it time!!!

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 08:55 PM
  #20
m00ks
Registered User
 
m00ks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,833
vCash: 500
It's the same in every transaction the Habs make. Heck people were ******** on Gainey when we signed Cammalleri. It's really quite a scene, not to mention extremely tedious sifting through all the garbage posts to find out what realistic, ground and well informed posters (there are not many) think about the situation.

Posts like "I don't know who these players are but the Habs got hosed" depress the **** out of me. People should at worst, have a "wait and see" mentality just to clean this place up a bit or if you're going to disagree, at least formulate a ****ing opinion.

Anyweyz, I'm ****ing psyched about the kid. We're short on top 6 prospects, specially down the middle. To land a good sized, all around player who plays physical should be exciting for any fan. Can't wait for next season.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 08:56 PM
  #21
RabidBadger
Registered User
 
RabidBadger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Motown
Country: United States
Posts: 1,215
vCash: 500
I thought maybe Rejean Houle was back at the GM position when I saw this trade. As a very casual observer I'm pretty shocked seeing this since MTL was basically carried to the conference finals by Halak, Cammalleri and some great moments by Subban and Gionta. Give it some time to see if it was a good trade or not, though.

RabidBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 08:58 PM
  #22
DDIHH
Registered User
 
DDIHH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,134
vCash: 500
I'm already on the bandwagon. I'm sad to see Halak go, but Price his a fine young goalie too and Eller is a fairly big and physical potential top6 center.

Kekalainen has a good track record with his first round picks.

DDIHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 08:59 PM
  #23
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 18,774
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
The day that the fans will love the TEAM instead of individual players, we might start somewhere.

If we're a better team because Eller will bring a new dimension to this team AND because Price will finally become the goalie we all hope he becomes, everybody will be on this team's and on this trade's bandwagon.

If Eller scores 50 goals but if Price allows 6 goals a game.....not sure what it will mean to be on Eller's bandwagon.....
The 'Eller bandwagon' comment was made tongue-in-cheek...I just mean that alot of people have commented on this trade without knowing jack **** about Eller...and when they do eventually see him, they'll make even more blanket statements about him then.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 09:00 PM
  #24
Nitehowl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: BC Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Seems the general consensus is the Habs got screwed on this trade (shocking)...I wanna know, because it never fails, how long until everyone is on the Lars Eller (and inevitably Ian Schultz) bandwagon?

I asked this after all our offseason moves last year because after the shock of the trade has worn off, and we've seen Eller at the evaluation/rookie/training camps, the same people who are bashing Gauthier today will eventually get a look at Eller and realize we got a pretty good player...

The anger at all of Gainey's moves eventually faded and gave way to full out support for the Habs, how long before Lars Eller is the next __________ (insert inevitable comparison to a Habs legend)/?
What were the two things most Hab fans complained about this team lacking? A BIG center and a physical bottom 6 player that could drop the gloves and actually win a fight or two unlike the Kotsopolos Begins of the past.

Well we filled those holes but people are still complaining.....I guess if was Gulliame Eller everyone would be dancing in the street now

This trade gave me an idea that possibly PG will let go or trade the rights of Pleks at the draft and sign a Kovalchuk..say Kovy for $7.5M ..... now if you kept Halak($4M) and Plek ($4.5-$5M) what would you rather have Kovy and Eller or Pleks and Halak next year??

Nitehowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 09:00 PM
  #25
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidBadger View Post
I thought maybe Rejean Houle was back at the GM position when I saw this trade. As a very casual observer I'm pretty shocked seeing this since MTL was basically carried to the conference finals by Halak, Cammalleri and some great moments by Subban and Gionta. Give it some time to see if it was a good trade or not, though.
Nah, it was all Martin and his genius.

Depending on what Montréal does from now and the start of the season this could be good.

Price will get a veteran backup, so he'll finally get someone to mentor him.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:12 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.