HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Trade Carter?

Old
06-17-2010, 01:58 PM
billandsebastian

vCash: 500
Well with Halak now with the Blues, I think its pretty safe to say that Price isn't available anymore. Chris Mason on the other hand...

billandsebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 01:58 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
You don't lose 40 goals whent the forward you're bringing in had 4 less points than Carter last season.
But Carter had 33 goals to Horton's 20. There were times this past season when the Flyers obviously missed the 30 goals each of Lupul and of Knuble. Not only do you lose Carter's goals, but you also obtain a player who is notoriously injury prone. I also think if the Flyers obtain a goalie in a trade with Carter, there needs to be a younger goalie coming back.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 01:59 PM
IrishSniper87

Thank god the Montreal rumors will stop now.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 02:03 PM
Jester

Mason falls into the Turco category of not a bad option on a short deal.

EDIT: I really feel bad for the UFA goalies this summer... they're getting effed by the market.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 02:19 PM
billandsebastian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Mason falls into the Turco category of not a bad option on a short deal.

EDIT: I really feel bad for the UFA goalies this summer... they're getting effed by the market.
I agree, but I think Mason has a little bit more upside. I feel a little more comfortable with him behind our D. I also think we might get a better $ deal on him, though I guess it remains to be seen how far Turco's value has fallen. I mean, getting replaced by a guy (Lehtonen) who can't seem to stay off IR is a pretty bad omen.

billandsebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 02:49 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by billandsebastian View Post
I agree, but I think Mason has a little bit more upside. I feel a little more comfortable with him behind our D. I also think we might get a better $ deal on him, though I guess it remains to be seen how far Turco's value has fallen. I mean, getting replaced by a guy (Lehtonen) who can't seem to stay off IR is a pretty bad omen.

There was a stretch of about 15 games last season where you could say Turco was regaining his form. I like Mason much more despite faltering at the World's. Free agent goalie market is actually setting up nicely for us.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 02:57 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by billandsebastian View Post
Really? I think Turco's A-game is better than Mason's. Neither is a bad goalie when they're on, obviously. I think Turco is probably the better tender. I'd agree with the money aspect of it though, and as far as what you'll probably get from both (versus what they are at their very best), is probably pretty close.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 03:00 PM
flountown

I had a thought...throw it right back if you don't like it...but Carter + Carle to the Ducks, Carle replaces some of the Neidermayer loss, not all of course.

And the Flyers get in return, Bobby Ryan and Joffrey Lupul...two, count 'em, TWO scoring wingers. Lupul plays with Richards and Gagne, Briere/Hartnell/Leino stays together and Bobby Ryan and Claude Giroux dangle on some people with Petr Forsberg as a winger.

Also, think of the positive effects this will have on Scott Hartnell, goes through a crappy divorce, only to have his bestest friend return and hang out with him.

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 03:20 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by flountown View Post
I had a thought...throw it right back if you don't like it...but Carter + Carle to the Ducks, Carle replaces some of the Neidermayer loss, not all of course.

And the Flyers get in return, Bobby Ryan and Joffrey Lupul...two, count 'em, TWO scoring wingers. Lupul plays with Richards and Gagne, Briere/Hartnell/Leino stays together and Bobby Ryan and Claude Giroux dangle on some people with Petr Forsberg as a winger.

Also, think of the positive effects this will have on Scott Hartnell, goes through a crappy divorce, only to have his bestest friend return and hang out with him.
Oh Lord. Just say no to Lupul and that contract.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 03:27 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Oh Lord. Just say no to Lupul and that contract.
Besides, if we get Lupul back we'll have to trade Pronger, that's how it goes!

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 03:28 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Besides, if we get Lupul back we'll have to trade Pronger, that's how it goes!
Aaah, forgot about that deal where they can't be in the same city and can only be traded for one another!

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 03:28 PM
decadentia

Quote:

We were praised for getting rid of his contract, now we're taking him back voluntarily?

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 03:52 PM
flountown

Cap goes up, and I think it will continue to do so in the coming years, especially since the league, in my opinion, is slowly starting to realize that it needs to relocate the money drained teams. Also, Lupul's contract is stagnant, and will be less in need of a raise. If he had the opportunity to not play with Carter when here, I 100% believe that his point production would have equaled his Cap hit. It's a fact that playing with Carter reduces the amount of points you will obtain.

He is also a real right winger, something we don't have very many of and I think losing our top 2 RW's in the off-season really hurt us during the season. We essentially solve that problem with this deal, all while acquiring Bobby Ryan and taking advantage of Carle's highest value. I really think Gagne-Richards-Lupul would have been, and could be one of the more dangerous lines in the league.

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 04:10 PM
decadentia

Quote:
Cap goes up, and I think it will continue to do so in the coming years, especially since the league, in my opinion, is slowly starting to realize that it needs to relocate the money drained teams. Also, Lupul's contract is stagnant, and will be less in need of a raise. If he had the opportunity to not play with Carter when here, I 100% believe that his point production would have equaled his Cap hit. It's a fact that playing with Carter reduces the amount of points you will obtain.

He is also a real right winger, something we don't have very many of and I think losing our top 2 RW's in the off-season really hurt us during the season. We essentially solve that problem with this deal, all while acquiring Bobby Ryan and taking advantage of Carle's highest value. I really think Gagne-Richards-Lupul would have been, and could be one of the more dangerous lines in the league.
It's not a good contract, and spending more money simply because the cap is rising is called bad management (and a horrible argument). Spend it wisely, instead of burning a hole in our pocket.

Also, who do we replace Carle with? Sorry, this is not a good idea.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 04:15 PM
BernieParent
HFB Partner

As the dust settles on this surprising turn of events, I would be comfortable with Mason / Turco (on a short-term contract) + Leighton to start next season and Jeff Carter centering the Flyers second line up until February, at which time he will be encased in bubble wrap until at earliest the second round of the playoffs or the Penguins, whichever comes first.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 04:20 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Doesn't Chris Mason play well with a decent defense and wouldn't he do even better with our defense?

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 05:49 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Anybody who rags on Mike Richards for missing shots sucks, hes not the messiah of goal scoring. he is the messiah of everything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Carter is the Flyers version of Donovan McNabb. Carter will never be appreciated for what he does because he is not the blue collar player Philly sports fans love.
Dont understand the McNabb hate, nothing is tougher and more blue collar than throwing 5 td's on a broken leg. Id call that clutch. Its all because of something that may or may not have happened (and coming from Freddie Mitchell and Terrell Owens it probally didnt) in the Super Bowl.

Its not like McNabb had a wide open TO in the endzone by miles and forced a throw elsewhere that got picked off. Id hate him for that Yes.

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 06:01 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrizzle81 View Post
Anybody who rags on Mike Richards for missing shots sucks, hes not the messiah of goal scoring. he is the messiah of everything else.

Dont understand the McNabb hate, nothing is tougher and more blue collar than throwing 5 td's on a broken leg. Id call that clutch. Its all because of something that may or may not have happened (and coming from Freddie Mitchell and Terrell Owens it probally didnt) in the Super Bowl.

Its not like McNabb had a wide open TO in the endzone by miles and forced a throw elsewhere that got picked off. Id hate him for that Yes.
Carter is not fleyrs verison of Mcnabb, he is the flyers verison of Bobby Abreau

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 06:35 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrizzle81 View Post

No, but he did force a throw that got picked by Bruschi and tilted the game for the Pats.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 07:55 PM
crazyforhockey

What about
Van
Carter

Phi
Schneider..big goaltender signed for .900 for two more years
Raymond 82gms 25g-28=48pts.one of the fastest players in NHL..rfa resign in 2-2.5range
1st(25th)

so Schneider paired with Boucher or Leighton,losing only about 10-15goals but gaining about 2 mil in cap space to resign Coburn and parent and solving your goalie proplem...

provided Phi mangment believes in the Cory

i realize the best player is Carter here(by far) but will you be able toresign him in a years time.

crazyforhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 08:27 PM
mypunkrock

Rumor has Carter + pick going to Kings for Quick.

http://thefourthperiod.com/news/lak100613.html

mypunkrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 08:49 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by mypunkrock View Post

I'd die a painful but quick death if that happened.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 08:52 PM
wahoowa
All in the Game

Quote:

If Homer did that, I would personally drive to the Wachovia Center and throw all his **** onto the street.

wahoowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 08:54 PM
Tripod

Quote:

whoever thinks Quick is worth Cater AND a pick is on drugs. Quick has proven about as much as Halak and his value is about the same.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 09:02 PM

I must have missed something here. Since when does a guy who has 79 games in 156 injury-hit games with RFA at the end of his contract have such a low value?

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote