HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

How long before general consensus...

Old
06-17-2010, 09:02 PM
kernkraft

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
I don't think you can say who won this deal until the end of next season, or maybe longer.

Halak is going to have to be super human for a season in front of a D that isn't as strong as ours and with less offensive flair up front.

Ellers is coming here to crack the line up and to play, Halak has been traded to carry a team...pressure is less here, even with the fans and media considering.
Erik Johnson,
Eric Brewer,
Barret Jackman and
Alex Pietrangelo

say hi

kernkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 09:02 PM
Nitehowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Nah, it was all Martin and his genius.

Depending on what Montréal does from now and the start of the season this could be good.

Price will get a veteran backup, so he'll finally get someone to mentor him.
Anyone think Biron might be a good choice for backup (plus please the Quebec reporters LOL)

Nitehowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 09:03 PM
Theosis
11, 27, 31, 67, 76 ♥

vCash: 50
So far what I've seen and what I've heard about Eller, I think a lot of us will be surprised by him.

I think eventually the trade will look like a good one, but at this very moment it does look like the Blues have won it, mainly because of Halak's performance in the Playoffs.

I don't believe Halak will be able to keep playing the way he did in the Playoffs, but I'm sure he can still be a solid #1 goalie for the Blues and that's what they needed.

I'm sure Eller and Schultz will look good eventually, but that won't be until at least this season for Eller and probably couple years for Schultz.

Also this trade probably had something to do for when we traded D'Agostini to them for Palushaj

Theosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 09:04 PM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Seems the general consensus is the Habs got screwed on this trade (shocking)...I wanna know, because it never fails, how long until everyone is on the Lars Eller (and inevitably Ian Schultz) bandwagon?

I asked this after all our offseason moves last year because after the shock of the trade has worn off, and we've seen Eller at the evaluation/rookie/training camps, the same people who are bashing Gauthier today will eventually get a look at Eller and realize we got a pretty good player...

The anger at all of Gainey's moves eventually faded and gave way to full out support for the Habs, how long before Lars Eller is the next __________ (insert inevitable comparison to a Habs legend)/?
After Halak retires.

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 09:04 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
what a dangerous cocktail!

But for real...you would think after all we went through last offseason and all the overreactions, people would look at this trade objectively and take a step back and take their time before making blanket statements

I don't want to sound like i'm supporting blindly following whatever management does...but at least give it time!!!
417....you know better. This is a thread that is started the day a trade happen. You would really want EVERYBODY to post "Let's give this trade some time"? People react. Positively, negatively. THEN, when we'll move on, you'll see reality kick in. People still might agree, or not, but you'll probably have more reserved opinions with a couple more of "Let's wait".

But if everybody would wait.....there wouldn't be a board to begin with.

Yet, everybody who reacts negatively that way 'cause "who the **** is Eller", and whoever blasts Eller without seeing him play, well fine. They're dumb. You know what my position is....I'm EXTREMELY worried about Price and the fans. To me, it's the start and the end of this trade.

I was not expecting Halak to be traded for the Sedin Twins. I was probably expecting a Perron and a 1st though. If we say that Halak is unproven, well surely he is on the long run....so is Perron. So is Berglund. As far as Backes, well people are hoping we'd become stronger and gritter on the wings. We are not talking about the greatest winger on the planet here.

So I can understand people being dissapointed. Then they'll know who Eller is and might chance their opinion....But since there are a dozen of stages in a trade, like there's a dozen of stages in a draft pick, those are the reactions you're seeing right now.

By the way.....there are a couple of really bad trades we've made in the past. We haven't had the best of most of the trades we made. That's why people are skeptic. Not sure we can fault them....

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 09:07 PM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen View Post
You can be annoyed by it 417, but I hope you're no longer surprised when it happens. Fans are emotional, fickle and often uninformed.

To answer your question: when Eller scores his first goal as a Hab.
That's about right, even if it's in a pre-season game. Double if Price gets a shutout in the same game.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 09:08 PM
Ceux de Montreal
Horrible proposal!!!

So basically Lars Eller is Andrei Kostitsyn with a work ethic

Ceux de Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 09:10 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal View Post
So basically Lars Eller is Andrei Kostitsyn with a work ethic
thats exactly the feel i got from HF board talk. though i still have faith in adnrei and i think hell be here next season. might be wrong about that though!

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
417....you know better. This is a thread that is started the day a trade happen. You would really want EVERYBODY to post "Let's give this trade some time"? People react. Positively, negatively. THEN, when we'll move on, you'll see reality kick in. People still might agree, or not, but you'll probably have more reserved opinions with a couple more of "Let's wait".

But if everybody would wait.....there wouldn't be a board to begin with.

Yet, everybody who reacts negatively that way 'cause "who the **** is Eller", and whoever blasts Eller without seeing him play, well fine. They're dumb. You know what my position is....I'm EXTREMELY worried about Price and the fans. To me, it's the start and the end of this trade.

I was not expecting Halak to be traded for the Sedin Twins. I was probably expecting a Perron and a 1st though. If we say that Halak is unproven, well surely he is on the long run....so is Perron. So is Berglund. As far as Backes, well people are hoping we'd become stronger and gritter on the wings. We are not talking about the greatest winger on the planet here.

So I can understand people being dissapointed. Then they'll know who Eller is and might chance their opinion....But since there are a dozen of stages in a trade, like there's a dozen of stages in a draft pick, those are the reactions you're seeing right now.

By the way.....there are a couple of really bad trades we've made in the past. We haven't had the best of most of the trades we made. That's why people are skeptic. Not sure we can fault them....
Whitesnake...

I don't mind people not liking this trade, it just seems that so many Habs fans base their opinion on personel moves based on how it flies here on HF.

I haven't see much of Eller, I know I liked him at the draft but beyond that...I don't know very much about him, I also share alot of the same concerns with how this affects Price (as unfair as that is). However, i'm NOT going to start throwing out a bunch of blanket statements just because a poster from the Blue Jackets board tells me the Habs got screwed.

Its so obvious that most here have never seen him plan and are being influenced by fans of other teams, the same thing happen on July 1st, the EXACT same thing IMO.

Again, i have no problem with criticising this trade...but at least, do it from an educated point of view...and if you don't have that knowledge, I think it's best to leave your opinion on the matter to a later date until you've had a chance to have more information.

That's how they do it on most other boards...it's only the fanatical fans of mostly canadian teams who let their emotions do the thinking for them.

there's just NO perspective on this board...none whatsoever and it's like that for most of the canadian city teams fans

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 09:26 PM
DDIHH

Quote:

there's just NO perspective on this board...none whatsoever and it's like that for most of the canadian city teams fans
From where I stand, I only see a big tree-trunk. Why are you saying there's a forest?

DDIHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 09:31 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Whitesnake...

I don't mind people not liking this trade, it just seems that so many Habs fans base their opinion on personel moves based on how it flies here on HF.

I haven't see much of Eller, I know I liked him at the draft but beyond that...I don't know very much about him, I also share alot of the same concerns with how this affects Price (as unfair as that is). However, i'm NOT going to start throwing out a bunch of blanket statements just because a poster from the Blue Jackets board tells me the Habs got screwed.

Its so obvious that most here have never seen him plan and are being influenced by fans of other teams, the same thing happen on July 1st, the EXACT same thing IMO.

Again, i have no problem with criticising this trade...but at least, do it from an educated point of view...and if you don't have that knowledge, I think it's best to leave your opinion on the matter to a later date until you've had a chance to have more information.

That's how they do it on most other boards...it's only the fanatical fans of mostly canadian teams who let their emotions do the thinking for them.
I can't speak for others but for me the problem I have with the trade is the context, not necessarily the return itself. I'll be honest, I have little idea of how good Lars Eller is. I'm pleased by what I've read, 3rd in rookie scoring in the AHL while suffering from mono at the start of the season is certainly impressive. Looks like he was brought along slowly and is ready to see time in the NHL which is good. Like I said, my problem doesn't lie with the player himself.

My problem is that we're going with the younger goalie prospect and we trade the more accomplished and proven goalie for a prospect that's ready for his rookie season ie probably not going to be a huge factor. Could be wrong here and Eller will have a calder like season. But I don't think you can plan around that.

That move doesn't tell me the team is trying to reach the next level, from 8th seed to a higher seed and/or going further in the playoffs. This, to me, is the type of move a team that is more concerned about the future than the present would make. I did not think this was our situation.

Also, you give last july as an example of overreaction on the acquisitions made by the habs. The same acquisitions prevented us from trading one of our goalies for a roster player because of the fact we're at the cap, by Gauthier's own admission. As a result, we're trading a huge contributor for our team, a player that was the difference maker in us making the playoffs and going to the ECF for a rookie player. That was the main beef a lot of people had with the summer of 09 and it's already starting to handcuff us into bad positions a year later.

Not to mention the potential **** storm if Price doesn't develop into a top 10 goalie as soon as this season.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote