HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Halak traded to St. Louis for Lars Eller and Ian Schultz Part II

Old
06-17-2010, 09:10 PM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

vCash: 500
Halak traded to St. Louis for Lars Eller and Ian Schultz Part II

Continue.

Hawkguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 09:12 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
You ok Natey? Im a little bit worried about you.

Seb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 09:14 PM
onemorecup*

Gauthier has the mahones

great move Pierre ... finally a visionary move ....long term .... not the bandaid short term we are famous for

Folks get real here ...this is a great deal for many reasons

Halak had the playoffs of his life...he isnt Roy and we overachieved so much that expecting this again next year ...outshot...outplayed...and playing rope a dope
as a stepping stone is RIDICULOUS.

we can`t pay him 4-5 mil in arbitration and we still have a solid goalie who had no support this year at all .

Secondly goalies are worth S H I T in return in trades ...Roy the best off all time got us what ? Bryzgalov was picked up on waivers and playeed well this year

Thirdly we need size and a skilled center ready to play was a must ... this dude is 21
and ready for top 6 duty ......BYE BYE PLEKS ....YOUR PLAYOFF FAILURE SHOWED AGAIN

We are not getting Marleau this year .... I wanted a legit kid who can play and we got him

Shultz is a tough dude with jam ....we have no one in our system

are you going to get this package for Leino who went nuts in the playoffs at 26 with hardly any NHL experience ? NO

Is Byfuglien going to fetch you this knowing the Hawks are in dump mode ?

with his hands tied Pierre did very well ..now we have Leblanc and this dude for tej future

lastly our cap is shot and we now have some depth to unload Pleks and hopefully not miss much ...folks we cant have 25-30 mil with 5-7 players unless you are the Hawks and winning a title and justify it later .

all in all great job Gauthier ....you moved the right guy for the right price.

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 09:15 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
lol was gonna post this

though i feel the pain halak fans are feeling. i felt it all last season long

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 09:16 PM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
I said all along that I was fine with trading either, so long as the return was at the absolute greatest.

I think this was poor asset management. Like the "experts" on TV are saying, I believe the trade was made far too early. Why not wait till draft day and try to nab a draft pick in the package since we're short one?

Also, trading Halak before we sign Price is a horrible decision. This will allow Price to "drive up his market" since we have no other option.

There are lots of teams who need goalies, yet it looks like Gauthier pulled the trigger on his first option. Poor management, IMO.

I hope Price performs well. I've always been a fan, even if I do think Halak was playing outstanding. The whole "Natey hates Price" thing started because people continually bashed on Halak's lack of potential (even when Price was #1) and I didn't agree. I thought Halak had just as much potential as Price. Still do.

I hope for our sake and the sake of Price (and management) he plays well though. The media is going to be unforgiving for a few months at the start of the season, especially with a player of French heritage on the backburner.

Getting Lars Eller makes it a little less upsetting. If you go back to the draft threads, I wanted this kid so badly. So, so badly.

Hawkguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 09:16 PM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 0
I'm interested to see how much they sign him for. He still has Arbitration rights lol.

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 09:17 PM
Carey Chant

If I was management, after a playoff run like that, I would have had Halak as 1st priority and signed him up. Instead, what reward does he get? No call, no thanks and shipped out to the west.

We traded a goalie who played amazing because we have a goalie who has potential to play amazing. I hear the "he can be the next Theo" etc but why are other fans celebrating that we traded Halak? You don't get rid of a goalie that plays at that level for prospects!

They could have at least kept both of them to see if Price busted his butt in the off season and played up to potential. Instead management has decided to roll the dice and trade the (at this time) better goalie.

This one is going to sting for a long time.

Carey Chant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 09:18 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Could we make an offer sheet for Halak?

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 09:19 PM
Bulis hit

I agree with some of your points.

Could be resumed by: Stop being so negative. This is a good move for now and especially for later.

However, I don't agree to Eller making Plekanec expandable. If there is one problem with the habs, is that we have always tried to REPLACE players instead of building on a strenght. Having Gomez-Plekanec-Eller-Moore(or Lapierre or whoever) looks a whole lot better than Gomez-Eller-Moore-Lapierre(or whoever).

And NO, to the person who thinks we can replace Plekanec on the FA market.

Bulis hit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 09:19 PM
m00ks

At the end of the day, from a skill standpoint, both goalies are capable of winning.You just need to ice a good team in front of either one. By trading Halak, you get young, cheap talent who should be NHL ready and capspace to continue to improve. No mistake was made today.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 09:20 PM
hogtownhabsfan

To answer Whitesnakes question from the previous thread, anything under 5 mill a year for Plekanec would make the contract "tradeable" IMO. Pretty much all contracts that aren't bad are "tradeable".

hogtownhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 09:20 PM
HomaridII

Funniest thing is Eklund posted a big long rant about the Habs trading away Halak which he ended by:

I am sorry, but I don't get it. And I am sure many of you do. Which I don't get either.

I have never seen the guy this upset before .. lol

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 09:22 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1380
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman View Post
great move Pierre ... finally a visionary move ....long term .... not the bandaid short term we are famous for

Folks get real here ...this is a great deal for many reasons ...
I agree completely! Well said. *CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP*

Edit: sound effect added for the hearing impaired.

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincecarder View Post
If I was management, after a playoff run like that, I would have had Halak as 1st priority and signed him up. Instead, what reward does he get? No call, no thanks and shipped out to the west.

We traded a goalie who played amazing because we have a goalie who has potential to play amazing. I hear the "he can be the next Theo" etc but why are other fans celebrating that we traded Halak? You don't get rid of a goalie that plays at that level for prospects!

They could have at least kept both of them to see if Price busted his butt in the off season and played up to potential. Instead management has decided to roll the dice and trade the (at this time) better goalie.

This one is going to sting for a long time.
traded goalie drafted in 9th round, for 13th overal already developped (IMO blues seem to be good at developing prospects latly) payer. If you find me a better trade for a goalie with 100 nhl games, i woulld be very suprised.

Old
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
To answer Whitesnakes question from the previous thread, anything under 5 mill a year for Plekanec would make the contract "tradeable" IMO. Pretty much all contracts that aren't bad are "tradeable".
Thanks for answering. Now....do you think that Plekanec wouldn't take the chance to see what's out there for everything below 5 M? I beleive he will and I believe he'll get it based on the fact that he's the 3rd most interesting UFA this year after Kovy and Marleau.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 09:24 PM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Thanks for answering. Now....do you think that Plekanec wouldn't take the chance to see what's out there for everything below 5 M? I beleive he will and I believe he'll get it based on the fact that he's the 3rd most interesting UFA this year after Kovy and Marleau.
I fully expect Plekanec to receive an offer of 5million plus from somebody and that is why I fully expect him to file for free agency because I doubt the Habs are offering that.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 09:25 PM
TheAntiPrice

Rly contemplating jumping off a bridge tbh.

TheAntiPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 09:25 PM
hogtownhabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
To go back to my original point, I'd sign Pleks to a contract as long as it is "tradeble". IMO any contract that isn't bad is "tradeable". If the choice comes down to letting Pleks walk or sign him to a bad contract, I let him walk...

hogtownhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 09:26 PM
Carey Chant

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
traded goalie drafted in 9th round, for 13th overal already developped (IMO blues seem to be good at developing prospects latly) payer. If you find me a better trade for a goalie with 100 nhl games, i woulld be very suprised.
Find me another goalie with 100 NHL games that carried an average team past the president trophy winners and defending champs?

Carey Chant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 09:27 PM
Patrick Traverse

Ryan Getzlaf and Andrew Ladd - both from the Calgary Hitmen - Both won cups - Ian Shultz - 6'3" 208 scrappy 3rd liner could be the next calgary hitman to win a cup?

Patrick Traverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 09:27 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
To go back to my original point, I'd sign Pleks to a contract as long as it is "tradeble". IMO any contract that isn't bad is "tradeable". If the choice comes down to letting Pleks walk or sign him to a bad contract, I let him walk...
Me too. Though, I wouldn't go about putting Lars Eller on the 2nd line centre, that leaves what's available for us ? Sharp ?

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 09:28 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Find me another goalie with 100 NHL games that carried an average team past the president trophy winners and defending champs?
Cam Ward won the canes the cup, he then carried them again to the ECF. Other than that, the canes have been pretty meh.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 09:29 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
I think this was poor asset management. Like the "experts" on TV are saying, I believe the trade was made far too early. Why not wait till draft day and try to nab a draft pick in the package since we're short one?

Also, trading Halak before we sign Price is a horrible decision. This will allow Price to "drive up his market" since we have no other option.
1) Whenever you trade a 9th rounder for a 13th overall pick (that is panning out) and a 3rd round pick, you've done good asset management. The fact Halak even played 1 NHL game is incredible.

2) Trading now let's the Habs brass know what they have before the draft. Wait too long and maybe the offer is off the table.

3) Sign Price before and then teams know you are dealing Halak, therefore lowering his value. It's a double-edged sword.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 09:31 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
dunno, but thats fairly specific incident that needs 8th seed team to face both the SCC and the president trophy winners. so ill quick answer that with Leighton beat the team that beat the SSC and President trophy winners, and went to SC game 6! man hes a beast

doesnt negate the fact this is one of the more "favorable' goalie trades in a long time.

Old
06-17-2010, 09:33 PM
mvp76

I think we need a suicide watch after this one

mvp76 is offline   Reply With Quote