HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Have you ever thrown something @ Ref/Opposing Player/Opposing Coach??

Old
06-08-2010, 11:09 AM
Canadian91

vCash: 500
Have you ever thrown something @ Ref/Opposing Player/Opposing Coach??

Go..

Canadian91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 12:10 PM
Dump and Chase
Hand of God

Years ago in a minor hockey travelling playoff game:

Ref's are doing a horrendous job and are getting flak from both sides. Opposing team has too many men on the ice and our coach starts yelling at the ref to bring his attention to the TMM. The ref ignores the coach because he has been getting blasted all game and this goes on for about 20 seconds.

The coach then throws a water bottle at the ref to get him to stop ignoring him. Ref finally blows the whistle but instead of giving the other team a TMM penalty he gives our coach a Match penalty.

LOL. Good times.

Dump and Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 12:28 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

vCash: 50
It's the 3rd period, in the playoffs and our team is down 3-2.

I go behind our net to pick up a lose puck and start skating towards the neutral zone. Coming off the bench is an opposing player that i deke around. Just as i pass the opposing around the hash marks, the player trips me and i fall to the ice as the puck continues to move forward.

The ref raises his arm indicating a delayed penalty, therefore our goalie takes off for the bench for the extra attacker.

The puck slides to the blue line, where another opposing player is skating towards the puck.

Instead of touching the puck to get a stoppage in play, the opposing player fires the puck into the now empty net.

The ref counts the goal, completely ignoring the tripping penalty.

After 5 minutes of intense arguments, the ref goes to centre ice for the faceoff where players and possebly coaches (I was on the ice so i didn't get a good look who was doing what) start throwing anything they can get their hands on. Many water bottles, tape, pucks, ect.

Good Times though

Fixed to Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 12:31 PM
Skraut

A couple nights ago our goalie took off his mask and threw it at a player.

We were losing 11-0, and one of their guys charges the net with 2 seconds left in the game plowing over the goalie and scoring. He didn't get called for anything, got the goal, and the goaile went nuts after the whistle. Don't blame him one bit.

Yay for B teams dropping a level in the summer to avoid college kids coming home, and instead beat up on newbies...

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 12:42 PM
AHF

Send a message via MSN to AHF
Quote:
Originally Posted by devils4cup View Post
It's the 3rd period, in the playoffs and our team is down 3-2.

I go behind our net to pick up a lose puck and start skating towards the neutral zone. Coming off the bench is an opposing player that i deke around. Just as i pass the opposing around the hash marks, the player trips me and i fall to the ice as the puck continues to move forward.

The ref raises his arm indicating a delayed penalty, therefore our goalie takes off for the bench for the extra attacker.

The puck slides to the blue line, where another opposing player is skating towards the puck.

Instead of touching the puck to get a stoppage in play, the opposing player fires the puck into the now empty net.

The ref counts the goal, completely ignoring the tripping penalty.

After 5 minutes of intense arguments, the ref goes to centre ice for the faceoff where players and possebly coaches (I was on the ice so i didn't get a good look who was doing what) start throwing anything they can get their hands on. Many water bottles, tape, pucks, ect.

Good Times though
Haha. That sounds like small-town Alberta refereeing. Where exactly did this happen?

My dad, our Bantam coach at the time, chucked a water bottle at a ref in High Prairie once. Our player was jumped by two of their guys, and our player was to only one to receive a penalty on the play...

AHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 01:14 PM
Dump and Chase
Hand of God

I once threw 5 left hands at an opposing coach for being stupid enough to come on the ice during a brawl.

Old
06-08-2010, 02:29 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

vCash: 50
It was when i lived in NB at the time.

Fixed to Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 02:36 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

sorry to be a party pooper but throwing something at a ref, or another player is unbelievably immature. maybe throwing something on the ice isnt as bad but at someone is really immature

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 02:50 PM
gojacketsgo61
Fire the Refs!

vCash: 555
I haven't thrown anything but my stick has "accidentally" hit the ref. But my assistant coach and coach this year were pissed at the ref (for a good reason) so they were talking and when the ref came over by our bench they each grabbed 2 water bottles pulled off the lids and just soaked him. Funniest thing ever we just got a 2 min bench minor and the assistant was kicked for the game. It was worth it though.

gojacketsgo61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 02:50 PM
Ragss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
sorry to be a party pooper but throwing something at a ref, or another player is unbelievably immature. maybe throwing something on the ice isnt as bad but at someone is really immature

Of course its immature, but its a byproduct of really caring about the game which, in itself, is pretty damn immature. Hockey can be a lot more fun when serious emotion is thrown in to the mix. If you're in a playoff game and you simply turn the other cheek you're in the wrong sport.

Ragss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 03:13 PM
rinkrat22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
A couple nights ago our goalie took off his mask and threw it at a player.

We were losing 11-0, and one of their guys charges the net with 2 seconds left in the game plowing over the goalie and scoring. He didn't get called for anything, got the goal, and the goaile went nuts after the whistle. Don't blame him one bit.

Yay for B teams dropping a level in the summer to avoid college kids coming home, and instead beat up on newbies...
My team usually moves up on the summer, because most of the old guys on the team are to busy in the summer to play consistently. So I go from one of the old guys to the only old guy.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 04:14 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragss View Post
Of course its immature, but its a byproduct of really caring about the game which, in itself, is pretty damn immature. Hockey can be a lot more fun when serious emotion is thrown in to the mix. If you're in a playoff game and you simply turn the other cheek you're in the wrong sport.
well you can have high emotions but still be disciplined, atleast do something that wont get you a match or a penalty

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 04:19 PM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Yes. But it was after the game and it was my brother who was the ref. He gave me a double minor for unsportsmanlike and the other girl who was involved only got 2 for roughing.

So after the game I threw my waterbottle at him and ran.

06-09-2010, 01:24 PM
IntoTheDark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti-girl View Post
Yes. But it was after the game and it was my brother who was the ref. He gave me a double minor for unsportsmanlike and the other girl who was involved only got 2 for roughing.

So after the game I threw my waterbottle at him and ran.
You play hockey?

One time I let in a goal with a minute left and picked up the puck and launced it down the ice. Went to the far blueline in the air with my block on..it was impressive. Got a 2 minute penalty for it.

Another time in a tournament, we were in the championship game and were up a goal with a few minutes left. Absolutely robbed this kid and the other team thought the puck went in so they started celebrating. Ref calls it a goal and I am like WTF is going on the puck is in my glove. The ref was confused and didnt want to change the goal call so after a few minutes he said I caught the puck when it was in the net. I stopped it at the top of the crease. Game goes to OT and they win and I flip out and start cursing at the ref and then launch my stick into the glass. Got a game misconduct for it.

IntoTheDark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 01:38 PM
Slats432

I am a ref, and if someone threw something at me, I would consider pressing charges...so keep that in mind.

I was reffing a rec Div 1 game, so a lot of former junior players. Two guys are jostling in a fairly rough game, and I call them both for two minutes.

They both go to the box and it just so happened that after I explained it to both captains I looked over my shoulder and one guy grabbed one of our game pucks and threw it overhand fastball at the other guy, hitting him in the helmet and bouncing 12 feet high and into the other players box.

Game, Set, Match Penalty.

Slats432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 02:34 PM
noobman

I've thrown my body at a few players, sending them hurling to the ice or flying into the boards.

Other than that, no.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 08:21 PM
Canadian91

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
I've thrown my body at a few players, sending them hurling to the ice or flying into the boards.

Other than that, no.
Well played, sir.

Canadian91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 11:15 PM
Toes

Not really, except this one time when I was winding up for a slapshot, and this ref just randomly skates to the middle of the ice and I catch him on the hip. Said sorry after that though.

Toes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 09:59 AM
micust

I was really pissed off about a penalty a ref called on me this one time, and decided to throw my stick into the penalty box as I approached it, while the ref was in tow headed towards the scorekeeper's box. When i threw the stick in, it ricocheted off the back wall, flew back out of the box, and whizzed right by the refs head (within inches). I can't remember if I got an extra penalty or not, I was too angry already to care.

micust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 11:12 AM
kmdowney

I threw my stick at opposing player while I was laying on the ice after he tripped me intentionally...

kmdowney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 11:16 AM
Dump and Chase
Hand of God

I saw a coach intentionally throw a Jr.B playoff game once. He got a 1 year suspension from the OHA. this was years ago and he ended up being a good family friend.

Old
06-17-2010, 10:14 PM
haayward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dump and Chase View Post
I saw a coach intentionally throw a Jr.B playoff game once. He got a 1 year suspension from the OHA. this was years ago and he ended up being a good family friend.
How was that proven? Care to go more in depth? Sounds interesting...

haayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 11:18 PM
OprtnShtdwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucey sailor View Post
You play hockey?

One time I let in a goal with a minute left and picked up the puck and launced it down the ice. Went to the far blueline in the air with my block on..it was impressive. Got a 2 minute penalty for it.
Actually, the ref got the call incorrect there. The penalty should of been ruled Delay of Game, and because it was under 2 minutes remaining, deemed a penalty shot before the drop of the puck for the faceoff.

OprtnShtdwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 11:31 PM
Grabovski
Грабовский правил

I sprayed my water at him when I went to the penalty box and got an extra 2 minutes

Grabovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 11:53 PM
GuitarAwesome

I've "shot" a ball at a ref once for an idiotic call. By "shot" i mean in his general direction, missing him by at least 20 feet. Still got ejected. I didnt even argue, just walked off.

I saw a player on a team I subbed for toss his stick at a ref, insanely hard. Missed him by like 5 feet. He got tossed from the league.

I've tossed a puck at the end of a game to a player who has been chirping me the entire game. I scored a few goals, and we ended up winning. As I grabbed the puck, I tossed it while heading of the ice, chirping "here, take the game puck, you need it more than I do"
He was unpleased.

GuitarAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote