HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Chris Mason to Philly

Old
06-17-2010, 10:01 PM
Puckgenius*

vCash: 500
Chris Mason to Philly

Halak will most likely be the blues new starter - if he isnt thats dumb, hes 10x the goalie Mason is.

To Philly: Mason
To St. Louis: Hartnell

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 10:02 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Mason is a UFA. Why are we giving up Hartnell for him?

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 10:02 PM
The Grouch
Enraged

Erm, Mason is an Unrestricted Free Agent.

The Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 10:03 PM
neelynugs

the OP's username is pretty damn ironic.

neelynugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 10:09 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post
Halak will most likely be the blues new starter - if he isnt thats dumb, hes 10x the goalie Mason is.

Its also dumb to give up anything of value for a guy (Mason) who is going to hit the open market in two weeks.

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 10:16 PM
JonQuixote

I'm sure the OP wasn't aware of Mason's status, but considering the value of cap space, and provided the trade was contingent on Philly being able to sign Mason, it's not out of the realm of possibility. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Philly going to have to shave some salary if they want to attract an A or B list goaltender?

A deal like this would ensure that Philly gets their guy (if their guy is Mason), frees up time on July 1st to focus on other needs, and clears the necessary salary.

But considering the fact that Hartnell had such a good playoff and that there should be enough goaltenders on the market that the risk of missing out on Preference A or even B isn't that big of a deal, there's probably not a lot of incentive.

But if I'm Philly, perhaps with the prospect of a modest sweetener coming back my way as well, I think there's the foundation here for something worth considering.

It's not always dumb to give up "something of value" in order to ensure your off-season enfolds the way you want it to.

JonQuixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 10:20 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonQuixote View Post
I'm sure the OP wasn't aware of Mason's status, but considering the value of cap space, and provided the trade was contingent on Philly being able to sign Mason, it's not out of the realm of possibility. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Philly going to have to shave some salary if they want to attract an A or B list goaltender?
I'm fairly confident that they can sign any goalie on the open market other than Nabokov without moving a single player.

Quote:
A deal like this would ensure that Philly gets their guy (if their guy is Mason), frees up time on July 1st to focus on other needs, and clears the necessary salary.
We don't need to clear salary. Hartnell has quite a bit of interest. Why move him for nothing? There's Turco, Ellis, Mason, Biron, and even (dare I say it) Leighton as possibilities for Philly, though most would not be comfortable with Leighton.

Quote:
But considering the fact that Hartnell had such a good playoff and that there should be enough goaltenders on the market that the risk of missing out on Preference A or even B isn't that big of a deal, there's probably not a lot of incentive.
Exactly.

Quote:
But if I'm Philly, perhaps with the prospect of a modest sweetener coming back my way as well, I think there's the foundation here for something worth considering.
If St. Louis wants to give up assets to acquire Hartnell then that's a separate matter entirely.

Quote:
It's not always dumb to give up "something of value" in order to ensure your off-season enfolds the way you want it to.
Uh, in this case it is.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 10:21 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
I can assure you that clearing salary to land Chris Mason is not how the Flyers want the off-season to unfold.

Old
06-17-2010, 10:30 PM
SolidSnakeUS

He's an UFA. Shouldn't this thread be locked then?

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 10:34 PM
JonQuixote

How much value do you guys think Hartnell has in Year 3 of a stagnant cap era, coming off a 14 goal season at 4.2 million dollars?

Especially for a team/market like Philly, that rarely has trouble finding quality UFAs to fill up their cap space.

How much value for Hartnell? I'm not saying it's negligible, (but I'm only not saying that because of his strong playoff), but what sort of "return" would you really expect to convince you to give up the cornerstone that is Scott Hartnell?

Old
06-17-2010, 10:37 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

I'd be surprised if Chris Mason, with the current glut of goaltending on the market, will be able to command much of a windfall as a free agent. I doubt the Flyers will need to clear much salary room for him.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 10:38 PM
Selke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Mason is a UFA. Why are we giving up Hartnell for him?
I was wondering the same thing. This can't be Bee-Dub...can it?

Edit: Nevermind, it's an impostor using the same avatar as Bee-Dub!

Selke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 10:40 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
How much value do you guys think Hartnell has in Year 3 of a stagnant cap era, coming off a 14 goal season at 4.2 million dollars?

Especially for a team/market like Philly, that rarely has trouble finding quality UFAs to fill up their cap space.

How much value for Hartnell? I'm not saying it's negligible, (but I'm only not saying that because of his strong playoff), but what sort of "return" would you really expect to convince you to give up the cornerstone that is Scott Hartnell?
First off, you might as well just cool it with the sarcasm, because no one is calling Scott Hartnell a "cornerstone" player. We get it, you don't think he's that valuable, and you're entitled to your opinion.

That said, he has considerably more value than a UFA who is going to hit the open market in two weeks. Add that to the fact that the Flyers don't need to clear salary to sign Mason. Add that to fact that there aren't alot of #1 goalie openings available, and Mason is going to have a hard time securing his "value" in monetary terms (much like Biron last year).

If the Blues want to trade his rights to the Flyers in a package for Hartnell, why don't you tell us what else they have to offer Philly?

Old
06-17-2010, 10:55 PM
JonQuixote

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFlyer View Post
If the Blues want to trade his rights to the Flyers in a package for Hartnell, why don't you tell us what else they have to offer Philly?
I don't know. I'm not too familiar with the Blues. I just don't think it's fundamentally unsound for the Flyers to explore the use an asset like Hartnell in order to secure a legitimate starting goaltender prior to July 1st, be it Mason or Nabokov or whomever. (And I'm bearing in mind that they obtained Hartnell in a similar manner to what the OP proposed).

I mean, they may be able to do so without being that proactive, but *ugh* if they can't. Why take the risk, especially if it comes along with the risk that the playoffs didn't represent a legitimate turnaround and you'll have a $4.2 14-goal scorer on your hands next season. Sorry for the sarcasm, but it's not like you're talking about moving a pivotal asset. In fact, there's a significant risk in keeping him.

I don't know much about St. Louis, but I know they've got the cap space to take on a guy like Hartnell with Tkachuk and Kariya coming off the books, and the makeup of their team might even make him modestly attractive.

Like I said, if I'm Holmgrem, I'd probably want to secure a sweetner (or ensure a very reasonable salary for Mason) in order to get the wheels going, but I wouldn't yell "d'uhhhhhh" into the phone and hang up without exploring the idea (that is, unless I knew there was a significant market for Scott Hartnell if I put out a call on him; but I don't think there is, save for the return of another big risky contract). Locking up a legit goaltender and shaving some salary, all prior to July 1st (or maybe even the draft) mind you, does seem like consideration of some value.

Old
06-17-2010, 11:04 PM
seanlinden

The Flyers are actually in a shockingly good position cap wise. They may need to move Hartnell next offseason, but like another poster mentioned, they only need to shed a player if they plan on brining in a top-flight goaltender like Vokoun or Nabokov.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 11:38 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
I don't know. I'm not too familiar with the Blues. I just don't think it's fundamentally unsound for the Flyers to explore the use an asset like Hartnell in order to secure a legitimate starting goaltender prior to July 1st, be it Mason or Nabokov or whomever. (And I'm bearing in mind that they obtained Hartnell in a similar manner to what the OP proposed).

I mean, they may be able to do so without being that proactive, but *ugh* if they can't. Why take the risk, especially if it comes along with the risk that the playoffs didn't represent a legitimate turnaround and you'll have a $4.2 14-goal scorer on your hands next season. Sorry for the sarcasm, but it's not like you're talking about moving a pivotal asset. In fact, there's a significant risk in keeping him.

I don't know much about St. Louis, but I know they've got the cap space to take on a guy like Hartnell with Tkachuk and Kariya coming off the books, and the makeup of their team might even make him modestly attractive.

Like I said, if I'm Holmgrem, I'd probably want to secure a sweetner (or ensure a very reasonable salary for Mason) in order to get the wheels going, but I wouldn't yell "d'uhhhhhh" into the phone and hang up without exploring the idea (that is, unless I knew there was a significant market for Scott Hartnell if I put out a call on him; but I don't think there is, save for the return of another big risky contract). Locking up a legit goaltender and shaving some salary, all prior to July 1st (or maybe even the draft) mind you, does seem like consideration of some value.
I here what you are saying, and its not like the concept doesn't have some validity, but its just the wrong goalie in this case to "shed" Hartnell and his salary for.

Essentially, we'd be giving Hartnell away for free, because Mason has virtually no value this close to free agency. Not to mention the fact that we wouldn't have to shed Hartnell's salary to fit Mason in.

Why would we move Hartnell and his salary unless its for a goalie we have targeted (Mason is not that guy), and who we need to clear cap space to land. Hell, even if we did want to clear Hartnell's cap hit to sign a different, more expensive goalie, we could at least get some value for him (draft pick or prospect). Mason just doesn't have any value right now.

Your concept of moving Hartnell's salary and locking up a goalie before free agency is sound, but not the concept of doing such a thing for Chris Mason. He's not the kind of guy you make that move for.

Old
06-18-2010, 06:51 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post
The Flyers are actually in a shockingly good position cap wise. They may need to move Hartnell next offseason, but like another poster mentioned, they only need to shed a player if they plan on brining in a top-flight goaltender like Vokoun or Nabokov.
This. The Flyers have to be smart with their cap this year because they will have some tough decisions to make next year with Gagne, Carter, Giroux and Leino. Plus, I like the UFA goalie market next year better then this year. If Holmgren is patient, he may be able to secure his #1 goalie next year.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 08:06 AM
Guest123

I think Flyers should ride with Leighton/Boucher til the trade deadline and then grab Vokoun from FLA for a pick.

Gear up for another Cup run!

Guest123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 08:07 AM
Guest123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
This. The Flyers have to be smart with their cap this year because they will have some tough decisions to make next year with Gagne, Carter, Giroux and Leino. Plus, I like the UFA goalie market next year better then this year. If Holmgren is patient, he may be able to secure his #1 goalie next year.
Carter is done in Philly. Would not surprise me one bit if he is traded before the draft.

Old
06-18-2010, 08:12 AM
Biggzy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
I think Flyers should ride with Leighton/Boucher til the trade deadline and then grab Vokoun from FLA for a pick.

Gear up for another Cup run!
For a pick :rofl:

Biggzy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 08:13 AM
dookie88

Quote:
Carter is done in Philly. Would not surprise me one bit if he is traded before the draft.
Care to explain?

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 08:17 AM
Guest123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggzy View Post
For a pick :rofl:
Biggzy I think you love following me around the board. Care to explain what Vokoun should gather at the deadline with half a season to go before UFA kicks in?

EDIT: Vokoun might get a prospect and a high pick. I'll give you that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
Care to explain?
I just have very good sources that say he was gone before his playoff performance.

Last edited by Guest123: 06-18-2010 at 08:22 AM.
Old
06-18-2010, 08:26 AM
Biggzy*

Quote:
Biggzy I think you love following me around the board. Care to explain what Vokoun should gather at the deadline with half a season to go before UFA kicks in?

I just have very good sources that say he was gone before his playoff performance.
Ok, thanks for "giving" me that.

He could get more than a pick. And being a UFA is irrelevant. They are called rental players.

Look at what Kovalchuk the UFA got. I'm not implying that Vokoun could get that, but he was a UFA and still got a monster package.

Start using your head.

Biggzy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 08:27 AM
SeanVT395
It's Not Even Close

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post

Mason: UFA in 2 weeks
Hartnell: NTC contract for the next 3 years

sorry op, it was good for a little laugh... but do a little bit more research next time.

SeanVT395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 08:42 AM
John Wayne Gretzky

Quote:

I pray that you are right sir, I despise Carter.

John Wayne Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote