Fletcher Sees Trades as Avenue to Improve

Old
06-17-2010, 11:21 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 50
Fletcher Sees Trades as Avenue to Improve

From the Strib...

Basically saying the Wild is after a top 6 forward, specifically a #2 center (something we've known for quite some time), and the Wild will likely have to deal from the blueline to get it done.

Fletcher doesn't WANT to trade Burns, but then also says they'd be willing to move anyone for the right price.

Here was a pretty interesting tidbit as well...

Fletcher also added he wouldn't be averse to trading the ninth overall pick.

"I could definitely see a situation where we would trade that pick. I can't see us doing it for a 32-year-old, but if there's a 22-, 23-year-old player that we can conceivably have for eight to 10 years of quality production, I think you have to look at it," Fletcher said. "We're not shopping it, but we would absolutely look at any move that would make our team better."

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 11:31 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

god i hope we don't trade burns for a second line centre.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 12:40 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Here was a pretty interesting tidbit as well...

"I could definitely see a situation where we would trade that pick. I can't see us doing it for a 32-year-old, but if there's a 22-, 23-year-old player that we can conceivably have for eight to 10 years of quality production, I think you have to look at it," Fletcher said. "We're not shopping it, but we would absolutely look at any move that would make our team better."
That's not really surprising to me given it seems like his philosophy is to get a new core of young talent by any means necessary (see: Leddy trade).

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 01:36 AM
State of Hockey

Quote:

No, Just, no. That's not how you build a championship team.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 02:31 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
No, Just, no. That's not how you build a championship team.
So you wouldn't trade the 9th overall for Voracek or Okposo?

Circulartheory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 08:13 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

i would trade a pick + prospect far sooner than I would burns. unless we're getting an elite player who is on the second line only because there is someone even better on the first....

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 08:26 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
i would trade a pick + prospect far sooner than I would burns. unless we're getting an elite player who is on the second line only because there is someone even better on the first....
I agree.

I don't see any situation where you'd be maximizing what true value Burns would likely hold by trading him right now. This team isn't going to going to contend in the near future, I don't think you can take a risk like that and look for a band aid type of fix.

I think if they're really intending on moving Burns, it should be at the deadline at the earliest.

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 08:42 AM
mnwildgophers

Russo seems to be foreshadowing a Burns trade to me, he's talked about it a lot. Or, I'm just reading into it too much. I'd much rather not trade Burns or the #9. We need both of them at this stage. I don't think Fletch trades any of them and he may make a move at the draft to either drop down, and then at some point move up in a later round.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 10:12 AM
nickschultzfan

I like the idea of Horton and Weiss. Two major areas of need, and both signed to reasonable contracts. Burns, 9th overall, Bouchard, Miettinen, and Clutterbuck for Horton and Weiss.

Then, sign Kovalchuk for 8 million/year and Leopold for 1.5-2 million/year. Trade Harding for a pick or Harding + our 2nd to move back into the 1st round. We would actually be about 1 million under the cap.

Kovalchuk-Weiss-Kobasew
Bruno-Koivu-Horton
Lats-Brodziak-Havlat
Cheap UFA grinder-Shep- Cheap UFA grinder
Kalus, Kassian

Barker-Schultz
Zidlicky-Zannon
Leopold-Stoner
Noreau/Prosser

Backstrom
UFA Back-up

Yeah, yeah. I know. Not going to happen. But with a week before the draft, there is still time to dream.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 10:29 AM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Fletch did mention that nobody had a career year, and that he knew his assets were undervalued. If he is committed to not selling low, that would seem to point more towards Schultz than Burns as a good candidate to trade. Neither Burns nor Harding, (or Shep) is at their peak value right now.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 10:32 AM
UMD05
Hobey Baker Champs

Fletcher is just using Russo to get information out there. He isn't foreshadowing a Burns trade, he isn't saying he's going to trade the #9 pick. All he's doing is publicly stating that he's willing to consider any offers that come his way. That's all.

UMD05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 10:32 AM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Well, it's not really fun to think about (or post) about what actually is going to happen:

"Hey guys, can't wait for next year! How about we avoid all trades because they are difficult, sign a middling, aging UFA center, and go into next year with the exact same team! Can't wait, so excited!!!!!!! Go Wild!!!"

Old
06-18-2010, 10:33 AM
shleeban

i will probably cry for a week if we trade burns for anyone but an all star

shleeban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 10:38 AM
saywut

Wouldn't really be interested in Horton, but I'd be happy with something around Weiss for #9. If we move Burns, I'd expect us to draft Forbort at #9, so its basically which one do you like more, Forbort or Burns?

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 10:49 AM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by saywut View Post
Wouldn't really be interested in Horton, but I'd be happy with something around Weiss for #9. If we move Burns, I'd expect us to draft Forbort at #9, so its basically which one do you like more, Forbort or Burns?
Yeah, it would be terrible if we got a big, talented RW to play with Koivu and Brunette. And one that can score too. Definitely wouldn't help the Wild at all.

Old
06-18-2010, 10:51 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

I'm of split mind on this; Fletcher has worked wonders when he has a player of low value (Pouliot for Latrendresse, Brodziak for change) but he has been horrible when it comes to valuable assets (Johnsson, Leddy for Barker, Fallstrom, 2nd and Weller for Kobasew).

I'm hoping if he trades Burns it's more like Pouliot then anything.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 10:59 AM
saywut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Yeah, it would be terrible if we got a big, talented RW to play with Koivu and Brunette. And one that can score too. Definitely wouldn't help the Wild at all.
He's big, but incredibly soft. He's underachieved considering the freedom and lack of pressure in Florida. I wouldn't consider him as valuable as the #9 pick or Burns, whereas Weiss is around there. And play him with Bruno and Koivu, that would be the slowest scoring line in the NHL.

Old
06-18-2010, 11:02 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Well, it's not really fun to think about (or post) about what actually is going to happen:

"Hey guys, can't wait for next year! How about we avoid all trades because they are difficult, sign a middling, aging UFA center, and go into next year with the exact same team! Can't wait, so excited!!!!!!! Go Wild!!!"
It makes that realization much easier to swallow. Plus there's nothing about our abysmal prospect pool.

Old
06-18-2010, 11:05 AM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
It makes that realization much easier to swallow. Plus there's nothing about our abysmal prospect pool.
Keeping the #9 will do wonders for our prospect pool, to at least get one super highly touted prospect...hopefully. If we add our 2 2nd rounders and the 3rd rounder, we should get 4 really good players out of this draft is we don't mess up.

I'd personally rather us just stay the course and only trade if it totally makes sense. I'm super wary of trading Burns as he could be a real good player next year. I hope that he can play well next year.

Old
06-18-2010, 11:06 AM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by saywut View Post
He's big, but incredibly soft. He's underachieved considering the freedom and lack of pressure in Florida. I wouldn't consider him as valuable as the #9 pick or Burns, whereas Weiss is around there. And play him with Bruno and Koivu, that would be the slowest scoring line in the NHL.
Yes, it wouldn't be the fastest line, but Bruno and Koivu struggle with a really fast RW anyways. And Horton would be a major improvement over Miettinen.

Old
06-18-2010, 11:07 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

To be fair, I do like the idea of bringing in Horton and am open to trading #9 if the right deal comes up. It was just the ridiculous super-trade plus big UFA signing which becomes more irritating every time.

Old
06-18-2010, 11:09 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
Keeping the #9 will do wonders for our prospect pool, to at least get one super highly touted prospect...hopefully. If we add our 2 2nd rounders and the 3rd rounder, we should get 4 really good players out of this draft is we don't mess up.

I'd personally rather us just stay the course and only trade if it totally makes sense. I'm super wary of trading Burns as he could be a real good player next year. I hope that he can play well next year.
That's the key. Unfortunately nothing the Wild have done in terms of drafting has made me a believer that they can do it, but if last year is any indication GMCF has a savvier draft mind than the previous regime.

Old
06-18-2010, 11:13 AM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
That's the key. Unfortunately nothing the Wild have done in terms of drafting has made me a believer that they can do it, but if last year is any indication GMCF has a savvier draft mind than the previous regime.
I have all the confidence in the world in GMCF, and maybe it's more development that's killing our prospects rather than taking the wrong guys? Sure we've taken a lot of guys out of place, but rushing Gillies and Shep to the NHL was not a good plan to begin with. Whoever we take, Fletch made it clear today on the radio that he will probably be down in Jr's or overseas or wherever.

He was on 1500ESPN and basically said whoever we take this year won't help us out in 2010-2011 season, which is a good thing to hear.

Old
06-18-2010, 11:15 AM
saywut

Quote:
Yes, it wouldn't be the fastest line, but Bruno and Koivu struggle with a really fast RW anyways. And Horton would be a major improvement over Miettinen.
Yes, Horton would be an upgrade over Miettinen, but not a huge one. If he actually used his size to his advantage he'd be a much more attractive player, but he doesn't. Considering his age, it isn't going to change.

Weiss' impact on our 2nd line is much, much greater than Nathan Horton's impact would be on our 1st line.

Old
06-18-2010, 11:17 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Trading draft picks for proven young players doesn't kill a team, trading draft picks for mediocre older players or packing several draft picks to move up a couple spots in the draft kills a team.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote