HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

John Stevens Offered Assistant Coaching Position / Hiring Announcement Week of 6/21

Old
06-18-2010, 02:07 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

vCash: 500
John Stevens Offered Assistant Coaching Position / Hiring Announcement Week of 6/21

Makes sense, ex-Flyer coach, can be a solid assistant for Terry Murray.. I wish Mark Hardy was still here, John Stevens and Mark Hardy would make up for Terry Murray being horrible hahaha

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i...#axzz0r9lCx7bE

EDIT 6/19: Link to LA times article confirming the job offer: http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...0,946036.story

Last edited by TonySCV: 06-19-2010 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Added LA Times link to post #1
AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 12:30 PM
Quattro

I'm a little tired of all the Flyer connections. I HATE the Flyers.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 12:33 PM
4ndr3y*

Send a message via MSN to 4ndr3y*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
Now if Lombardi trades for Gagne or Hartnell...

4ndr3y* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 12:36 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Get used to it. So long as Dean is here, it won't stop. It's not by coincidence and its (apparently) not just your run of the mill nepotism. Its all by design and its not because he likes Flyer's people so much as he likes Flyer's attitude. If Dean's plan works, this team will mirror the attitude of the Flyers, am I'm actually quite alright with that... I've always liked the Flyers

Hell, even if Dean gets canned and Hextall replaces him, it still won't stop.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 12:47 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Get used to it. So long as Dean is here, it won't stop. It's not by coincidence and its (apparently) not just your run of the mill nepotism. Its all by design and its not because he likes Flyer's people so much as he likes Flyer's attitude. If Dean's plan works, this team will mirror the attitude of the Flyers, am I'm actually quite alright with that... I've always liked the Flyers

Hell, even if Dean gets canned and Hextall replaces him, it still won't stop.

this sort of thing is not exclusive to Dean Lombardi... never has been and never will be.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 12:53 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
this sort of thing is not exclusive to Dean Lombardi... never has been and never will be.
Of course not. Nepotism makes the world go 'round. Happens in virtually every industry, some more than others.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 01:04 PM
KingLB

Quote:
Based on most of the reasoning around here I'm surprised ppl don't love hiring Flyers I mean the Flyers were in the Stanley Cup.

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 10:24 AM
treize_kushrenada

hey guys, i just got back from BCT and AIT and i guess i mustve missed alot of stuff! Harpos not with the organization anymore and it does seem like John Stevens has been offered the job according to helene elliot of the l.a. times. i wish i could post the link but it was in my newspaper this morning. didnt Stevens coach the kings as an interim a few years back??

treize_kushrenada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 10:27 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Some of us don't even like the some many Flyer connections within the organization and it's our own team.

When this becomes more real, and it seems like it's only a matter of time, well there's the good and the bad.

The good is that I think it's a fairly decent situation for Stevens. The core issue Flyers fans have with Stevens is the fact that there was a lack of accountability. The biggest point I use for that was a game in Ottawa last April. The Flyers lost in a shootout, after being down 2-0 and then leading the game 3-2 in the 3rd period. This was the game of an infamous game misconduct Dan Carcillo was given for unsportsmanlike conduct (I've never seen that in my time watching hockey), which came with a minor penalty and gave Ottawa (playing for nothing, they were out of the playoffs) a full 5-on-3 that they scored on. Stevens essentially felt it was OK that they played like ass for half the game, eventually got to the point where they blew a lead, and outplayed the majority of the game. At this point we were trying to get home ice in round 1, and Stevens had the audacity to ask the media what was going on in other games after he just claimed that it was OK to lose. My biggest fear about this for the Kings is that it seems inevitable that Stevens is going to be Terry Murray's replacement if/when Murray gets fired.

Stevens also loves Randy Jones. The possibility that Jones will be willing to return to the Kings will rise to the point where no one will really want to talk about it.

On the other hand, Stevens never should have been the Flyers head coach to begin with. He was put in charge when we fired Ken Hitchcock after only a few games as assistant coach. It was painfully obvious during the season that Stevens was not ready to be head coach, but it is also now a few years and a firing later. The strange dynamic here is that Terry Murray was John Stevens' assistant here. I can't think of a time where the roles were reversed, at least in such short order. Stevens' best season as our coach was when Murray was there with him running the defense (where Jones played like Jaroslav Modry did in his "best" times but we also actually had Modry on the team too).

I think being an assistant for at least a full season will work out better for him this time around, because he's very likely going to be the next head coach of the Kings.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 11:01 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by treize_kushrenada View Post
hey guys, i just got back from BCT and AIT and i guess i mustve missed alot of stuff! Harpos not with the organization anymore and it does seem like John Stevens has been offered the job according to helene elliot of the l.a. times. i wish i could post the link but it was in my newspaper this morning. didnt Stevens coach the kings as an interim a few years back??
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...0,946036.story

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 12:53 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
Best part of that article:

Quote:
Next week could also bring a contract extension for Lombardi and his staff.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 01:09 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
He's not the worst candidate . . . but definitely not the best. . .

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 01:15 PM
Scrivezina
AMart Jazz Hands!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Some of us don't even like the some many Flyer connections within the organization and it's our own team.

When this becomes more real, and it seems like it's only a matter of time, well there's the good and the bad.

The good is that I think it's a fairly decent situation for Stevens. The core issue Flyers fans have with Stevens is the fact that there was a lack of accountability. The biggest point I use for that was a game in Ottawa last April. The Flyers lost in a shootout, after being down 2-0 and then leading the game 3-2 in the 3rd period. This was the game of an infamous game misconduct Dan Carcillo was given for unsportsmanlike conduct (I've never seen that in my time watching hockey), which came with a minor penalty and gave Ottawa (playing for nothing, they were out of the playoffs) a full 5-on-3 that they scored on. Stevens essentially felt it was OK that they played like ass for half the game, eventually got to the point where they blew a lead, and outplayed the majority of the game. At this point we were trying to get home ice in round 1, and Stevens had the audacity to ask the media what was going on in other games after he just claimed that it was OK to lose. My biggest fear about this for the Kings is that it seems inevitable that Stevens is going to be Terry Murray's replacement if/when Murray gets fired.

Stevens also loves Randy Jones. The possibility that Jones will be willing to return to the Kings will rise to the point where no one will really want to talk about it.

On the other hand, Stevens never should have been the Flyers head coach to begin with. He was put in charge when we fired Ken Hitchcock after only a few games as assistant coach. It was painfully obvious during the season that Stevens was not ready to be head coach, but it is also now a few years and a firing later. The strange dynamic here is that Terry Murray was John Stevens' assistant here. I can't think of a time where the roles were reversed, at least in such short order. Stevens' best season as our coach was when Murray was there with him running the defense (where Jones played like Jaroslav Modry did in his "best" times but we also actually had Modry on the team too).

I think being an assistant for at least a full season will work out better for him this time around, because he's very likely going to be the next head coach of the Kings.
Okay...so where is the good? We got someone who got fired before and knows what its like to lose a job. Being fired a few years ago does not mean he now has the skill set to be a good coach. I would rather have a coach who knows what it takes to win. Worse, he loves the dingleberry Jones. Will this be the blind leading the blind??? If what your saying is accurate then this is a very bad choice for LA. I can see taking on an injured player but I don't see taking on an incapable coach who has yet to prove himself for a team that has been supposed to be taking the next step......

Dont' mean to be harsh but I'm not sure of the logic here on this choice.

Scrivezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 01:30 PM
Cosmos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty View Post
Okay...so where is the good? We got someone who got fired before and knows what its like to lose a job. Being fired a few years ago does not mean he now has the skill set to be a good coach. I would rather have a coach who knows what it takes to win. Worse, he loves the dingleberry Jones. Will this be the blind leading the blind??? If what your saying is accurate then this is a very bad choice for LA. I can see taking on an injured player but I don't see taking on an incapable coach who has yet to prove himself for a team that has been supposed to be taking the next step......

Do some homework...

Stevens guided the Flyers to an immediate renaissance in 2007-08. The Flyers won 42 games and amassed 95 points in the regular season under Stevens's guidance. In the playoffs, the Flyers beat the Washington Capitals in the first round and upset the top-seeded Montreal Canadiens in the second round before falling to the Pittsburgh Penguins in the Eastern Conference Finals. For this, The Hockey News honored Stevens with their Coach of the Year award.

Cosmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 01:39 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
So, it sounds like he is the next head coach for the LA Kings, after Murray's contract ends next year. I'm sure that he is being told this, or why would he accept an assistant's job under his former employee?

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 01:47 PM
BallPointHammer
Franchise Enforcer

I wish people, all over the Kings board, not just in this thread, would stop harping about when Terry Murray is going to be fired. If the Kings continue to progress like most fans think they will, than what's the problem with Murray? Every team in the league juggles their line-up endlessly, even through the playoffs.

BallPointHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 01:49 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I would be O.K. with the signing, though not thrilled. I am more interested in Dean's potential signing next week as that article reports.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 01:50 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
Based on most of the reasoning around here I'm surprised ppl don't love hiring Flyers I mean the Flyers were in the Stanley Cup.
We always get the ex-Flyers who are dumped to reache the finals

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 05:02 PM
Cruel11
Son, just don't.

I didn't know he was the Hockey News 07/08 coach of the year

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 05:12 PM
Scrivezina
AMart Jazz Hands!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmos View Post
Do some homework...

Stevens guided the Flyers to an immediate renaissance in 2007-08. The Flyers won 42 games and amassed 95 points in the regular season under Stevens's guidance. In the playoffs, the Flyers beat the Washington Capitals in the first round and upset the top-seeded Montreal Canadiens in the second round before falling to the Pittsburgh Penguins in the Eastern Conference Finals. For this, The Hockey News honored Stevens with their Coach of the Year award.
Point taken, however the "good" was being explained by a moderator from the Flyers side...Perhaps I gave him too much credibility....anyway, thanks for the info.

Scrivezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 05:13 PM
William H Bonney

I'm okay with it for now. I wasn't impressed by any stretch with Stevens as a head coach but that doesn't mean he won't make an effective assistant coach. The acquiring of every Flyers castoff, even though expected given Lombardi's stated m.o., is really getting old. I still have faith though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel11 View Post
I didn't know he was the Hockey News 07/08 coach of the year
If it makes you feel any better I could tell you Marc Crawford has won the Jack Adams before.

06-19-2010, 05:21 PM
Cruel11
Son, just don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
I'm okay with it for now. I wasn't impressed by any stretch with Stevens as a head coach but that doesn't mean he won't make an effective assistant coach. The acquiring of every Flyers castoff, even though expected given Lombardi's stated m.o., is really getting old. I still have faith though.

If it makes you feel any better I could tell you Marc Crawford has won the Jack Adams before.
Pfft. Why bring him up? I always think of screaming porcupine, when his name comes up.

Old
06-19-2010, 05:28 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel11 View Post
Pfft. Why bring him up? I always think of screaming porcupine, when his name comes up.
At least that's better than remembering his actual "coaching."

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 05:38 PM
Cruel11
Son, just don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
At least that's better than remembering his actual "coaching."
You must be confusing him with another coach. He was an excellent coach.

Last edited by Cruel11: 06-19-2010 at 05:58 PM.
Old
06-19-2010, 05:57 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty View Post

Hmmm, I didn't mention much good did I?

He won the Calder Cup in 2005 with the Phantoms. And since it was the lockout, was the best team in North America that season...

And when he got fired people felt bad because he led "so many of these players" [that being the Flyers] to a Calder Cup, and it was so special and so sour it came to that. Upon further review, only three guys were on the Flyers, one of them was Riley Cote who doesn't play, and the other two were Carter and Richards who only joined in the playoffs....

Stevens bakes cakes. Do you like cake?

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote