HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blake Wheeler on the block

Old
06-13-2010, 03:50 PM
Janerixon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
We are a couple years away from having a legit shot, so there's plenty of time to sign/trade/develop a center. What the team looks like 2 years from now is far more important than what it looks like 2 months from now.
Dubinsky played very well as a center at the Worlds, from what I have read he was one of the best American players there, he could be moving back to center. Anisimov started to come into his own at the end of the season, and stated he felt stronger playing with prust and shelley who do the dirty work and protect him, sounds like wheeler with his size could look good on the right side of Anisimov.

We just signed stepan who could be a 1st or 2nd line center, but at least a 3rd line center in a year or two. We have Grachev, who plays LW, but can also play center. Plus Werek down the line. We still have Drury and Christensen looked pretty good with gaborik.

I am not too worried about trading Bourque, who isn't projected to be more than a 2nd line center at best for Wheeler, a big 2nd line RW we wanted before he signed with the Bruins.

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 03:59 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Bourque & Gilroy for Wheeler
This is a good package. Especially since Boston signed Wheeler as a UFA. I just feel like Bourque + Gilroy is worth more than just Wheeler.

Bourque + Gilroy + (maybe add a 6th or 7th)
for
Wheeler + 3rd

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 04:05 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon View Post
Dubinsky played very well as a center at the Worlds, from what I have read he was one of the best American players there, he could be moving back to center. Anisimov started to come into his own at the end of the season, and stated he felt stronger playing with prust and shelley who do the dirty work and protect him, sounds like wheeler with his size could look good on the right side of Anisimov.

We just signed stepan who could be a 1st or 2nd line center, but at least a 3rd line center in a year or two. We have Grachev, who plays LW, but can also play center. Plus Werek down the line. We still have Drury and Christensen looked pretty good with gaborik.

I am not too worried about trading Bourque, who isn't projected to be more than a 2nd line center at best for Wheeler, a big 2nd line RW we wanted before he signed with the Bruins.
I didn't see the worlds so I don't know but I know he scored like 7-8 of his 10 points in games vs France and Italy (i think those were the teams) during the relegation games so I don't know how much I'd read into that.

I too have no qualms trading Bourque. He has 3rd line center upside. a 2B center seems like a stretch. I also feel like Wheeler should only get a contract around what Dubi and Cally got.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 04:06 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
This is a good package. Especially since Boston signed Wheeler as a UFA. I just feel like Bourque + Gilroy is worth more than just Wheeler.

for
Wheeler + 3rd
Seriously? I take that deal before Boston has time to finish their sentence.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 04:15 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
I didn't see the worlds so I don't know but I know he scored like 7-8 of his 10 points in games vs France and Italy (i think those were the teams) during the relegation games so I don't know how much I'd read into that.

I too have no qualms trading Bourque. He has 3rd line center upside. a 2B center seems like a stretch. I also feel like Wheeler should only get a contract around what Dubi and Cally got.
You are right, he scored most of his points vs France, Italy, and Kazakhstan, but he was scoring points and maybe if Christensen or whoever else doesn't produce in camp Dubi could see some time back as the top line center with Gaborik?

Also if we plan to bring Prospal back we currently look like this IMO

Dubinsky-Christensen-Gaborik
Prospal-Anisimov-MZA
Avery-Drury-Callahan
Prust-Boyle-Weise/Shelley

if we get wheeler that changes everything

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 04:34 PM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
Wheeler would look great next to Anisimov.
ha hopefully he'd play as great as he'd look next to anis

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 04:38 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:

for
Wheeler + 3rd
What?

Why would Boston trade away a former first round pick with a ton of potential for a bottom pair dman (maybe turns into a top 4 and some point) and a guy who will likely not make the NHL due to size and injuries?

Boston would laugh for an hour on that deal.

Boston will be looking for the same type of deal that the Avs and Phx had, Mueller for Wolski. Not Wolski for some C prospect and a bottom pair dman

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 05:17 PM
Orr Nightmare

I would trade:

Ray's kid and Gilroy/Giradi(more inclined to keep)

for

Wheeler and the rights to Boychuk..with negoitions right for 72 hours..

How about Zach Kassian and their 3rd for Giradi/Gilroy and 40th pick.

Kassian is in trouble with the law...Sabres broke of deal talks.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 05:19 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
What?

Why would Boston trade away a former first round pick with a ton of potential for a bottom pair dman (maybe turns into a top 4 and some point) and a guy who will likely not make the NHL due to size and injuries?

Boston would laugh for an hour on that deal.

Boston will be looking for the same type of deal that the Avs and Phx had, Mueller for Wolski. Not Wolski for some C prospect and a bottom pair dman
Good point...how about Wheeler for Giradi and 40th.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 05:33 PM
Sammy the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
I would trade:

Kassian is in trouble with the law...Sabres broke of deal talks.
True, but believe the Sabres are essentially, per Regier, showing him a lesson and are willing to work with him. Reading between lines, it seems they are saying he has to do certain things, and if he does they will start talks up again. If he does not do as told, then that's another story...

Sammy the Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 02:16 AM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthlandPro View Post
No thanks, I would keep the #10 and Werek. We need to stop taking other teams problems and stick to building our team through the draft.
The only trades we should be doing are salary dumping bad contractsand/or aqcuiring a small piece that won't cost us anything. The only other trade this team should even entertain is for an elite proven player like Spezza who fills a GLARING need in our team if our farm likely won't address it in a few years. Taking a problem coming off inconsistent play. Sounds like trouble to me. We'd have to get him for 3rd round or lower type bargains like bourque (who actually had a good rookie year) and no way boston gives him up that cheap.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 12:30 PM
rangersfan212

no go on wheelsless

Have seen wheeler to many times with zero results. That big and that soft is not what we need

rangersfan212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 12:38 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
I just feel like Bourque + Gilroy is worth more than just Wheeler.
I think you're overvaluing Bourque and Gilroy then.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 12:47 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Seriously? I take that deal before Boston has time to finish their sentence.
I wouldn't take it that far. It seems more of an even value trade. Wheeler is pretty good.

But we are giving up two players, one of which is an NHL player who has just his rookie year under his belt and has played Defense for what... 3 years or something. The guy was a walk-on at Boston. He is progressing at extraordinary rates and I think he's going to be a solid solid defensemen in a few years time.

add in Bourque who is projected to be.. what a 2nd liner? Maybe 3rd and it seems pretty even to me. Maybe a little to much for us but we have the prospect pool to do things like this...

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 01:05 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan212 View Post
Have seen wheeler to many times with zero results. That big and that soft is not what we need
Yea we don't need a 23 year old top-6 player, because he doesn't throw around his weight.

Blake would be a great addition here. Kid is nowhere near his prime, and he's good for 20/20.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 01:33 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Just because a guy was a 1st or 3rd means nothing after a team has had him for a while. He's a player.

Wheeler has questionable toughness and could be a big contract probvlem. Then again he might blossom. Gilroy just finished his rookie season as a regular on defense. He's not the first player who ever struggled at the end of a rookie season. Bourque is a prospect who just happens to be the son of an icon.

If there's a deal here, it's because the managers of both teams see roughly equal value and some upside from their acquisition. Remember, the team who owns the player always, always knows more about that player than anyone else. For all you or I know, Wheeler or Gilroy could have played injured last year or have a major off ice problem. And the salary cap introduces all sorts of dynamics into a conversation that never before existed.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 02:41 PM
NYRCC

i'm pretty sure this has probably already been said in this thread because i haven't taken the time to read through it but the rangers were one of the teams that offered wheeler a contract before he signed in boston. he didn't want to play in new york then and i doubt that's changed as i'm pretty sure we offered him a similar deal.

NYRCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 03:10 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRCC View Post
i'm pretty sure this has probably already been said in this thread because i haven't taken the time to read through it but the rangers were one of the teams that offered wheeler a contract before he signed in boston. he didn't want to play in new york then and i doubt that's changed as i'm pretty sure we offered him a similar deal.
He wanted to play with his buddy Kessel in Boston. See how far that got him.

Once you sign that contract you lose a lot of rights.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 08:47 PM
Edge

I like Wheeler, but I've never been as in-love with him as some.

I've always seen his upside as second line, 20-25 goals.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 09:04 PM
GothamRanger

Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
Wasn't the whole point of Boston trading Kessel to Toronto to clear up cap space so they could re-sign Wheeler? What happened?

GothamRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 09:08 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothamRanger View Post
Wasn't the whole point of Boston trading Kessel to Toronto to clear up cap space so they could re-sign Wheeler? What happened?
A step backwards.

Having said that, I don't know if I see them moving Wheeler unless there is a very nice return.

You can argue all you want about his upside and his past season, but the fact remains that there will be many interested teams in a 6'5, 210 pound who is a likely 20 goal scorer and maybe a 30 goal guy.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote