HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Chris Mason to Philly

Old
06-18-2010, 11:28 AM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
Anderson and Leighton are the same age! Holy coincidence!
I'm not trying to get into this argument, but the age is really the only comparison between the two.

Anderson is a far superior goalie with a much better skillset. If you saw him in the playoffs, you saw a goalie who can steal games. Leighton doesn't have that skillset, not even close. He's a serviceable goalie in a pinch, as we saw this year, but not on Anderson's level, and not the real answer on a team with Cup aspirations.

I'm not saying Turco is the answer either, but you are overrating the "late bloomer" aspect of Leighton's game. He's a backup goalie who caught lightning in a bottle behind a very good top-4 defense. We need an upgrade, whoever that may be.

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 11:37 AM
Biggzy*

Renegade is getting owned by his fellow fanbase

Biggzy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 11:45 AM
Guest123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggzy View Post
What are you, 12? We are all entitled to our opinions.

I'm saying I would be comfortable sticking with Leighton until trade deadline. Personal opinion.

Grow up. Seriously. Big man behind a computer.

Guest123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 11:53 AM
Biggzy*

Quote:

I'm saying I would be comfortable sticking with Leighton until trade deadline. Personal opinion.

12 and a half.

By the trade deadline you could possibly be out of reach of the playoffs.

Biggzy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 12:03 PM
jb**

Quote:
I'm not the only one who thinks Flyers don't need a stud goalie. I could find at least 4 other active members that think a solid goalie with our defensive system could work.

I've seen enough of Turco to know Dallas did a good job letting him go. Auld was playing there for awhile because Turco was failing.

Your Anderson rebuttal is horrible. So you're telling me Anderson had a backup job before he got a starting gig. Hmm wonder what Leighton was his entire life? Woah! Anderson and Leighton are the same age! Holy coincidence!
Well since you think they dont and have such a great idea on this team your probably right lol. I dont care that your not the only one who thinks they dont need a stud goalie. That is your opinion and theirs. There are many who think they do.

Dalls let him go for several reasons. They are rebuilding and dont need an aging goalie, they acquired letonon(sp), performance may have played a part as well. So dont sit here and say performance was the only reason.

My Anderson rebuttal is horrible. Really. Anderson has been a backup in the nhl the last 4 years or so. He has had a steady nhl role. Has Leightion had a steady nhl role over that same time frame? No he has not. He has been a minor league goalie more than an nhl goalie. Yeah i see how that rebuttal was horrible.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 12:04 PM
Guest123

Why don't people understand that this year was a year of learning?!

Laviolette's system was implimented in December. By March... we were in the playoff hunt at full force. Playoffs came and I think they got the system full force. Our focus is getting a dman who can take ice time away from Pronger to keep him fresh. Leighton carried us to the finals against a hawk team that was suppose to destroy us. He let in softies but saved our ***** at times. He deserves a chance. When he fails, we get someone at trade deadline. I'm sure there will be someone available.

Out of the playoffs? Doubtful.. Worry about your own team.

Old
06-18-2010, 12:08 PM
Reign Nateo

Flyers have made it with patchwork goaltending this long. May as well sign one of Ellis or Mason.

But if I was the Flyers I would at least offer a contract to Turco. He's got a lot to prove and may take a cheap 1 year deal. I think he's got mileage left on him and would fit in well in Philly.

Reign Nateo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 12:10 PM
jb**

Quote:
Why don't people understand that this year was a year of learning?!

Laviolette's system was implimented in December. By March... we were in the playoff hunt at full force. Playoffs came and I think they got the system full force. Our focus is getting a dman who can take ice time away from Pronger to keep him fresh. Leighton carried us to the finals against a hawk team that was suppose to destroy us. He let in softies but saved our ***** at times. He deserves a chance. When he fails, we get someone at trade deadline. I'm sure there will be someone available.

Out of the playoffs? Doubtful.. Worry about your own team.
why is it doubtful they would be out of the playoffs come the trade deadline. My what a short memory people have.
what makes you think the flyers will have the cap space to acquire a goalie at the deadline? They didnt this year, what will change?

Old
06-18-2010, 12:13 PM
Guest123

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
Well since you think they dont and have such a great idea on this team your probably right lol. I dont care that your not the only one who thinks they dont need a stud goalie. That is your opinion and theirs. There are many who think they do.

Dalls let him go for several reasons. They are rebuilding and dont need an aging goalie, they acquired letonon(sp), performance may have played a part as well. So dont sit here and say performance was the only reason.

My Anderson rebuttal is horrible. Really. Anderson has been a backup in the nhl the last 4 years or so. He has had a steady nhl role. Has Leightion had a steady nhl role over that same time frame? No he has not. He has been a minor league goalie more than an nhl goalie. Yeah i see how that rebuttal was horrible.
Philly needs a aging goalie? Really? Have you seen our goalie carousel the past few years... Homer wants a young guy to build on, not someone like Turco. Vokoun is the only veteran I'd go after.

I never said Leighton was better than Anderson.. I'm just pointing out that they were both backups at some time in their life before getting a starting gig. I'm honestly sick of you having a hard on for anything I say. We have different opinions. Deal with it.

Old
06-18-2010, 12:14 PM
Beerfish

After watching Mason at the world championships I would have little interest in the guy unless all other avenues were explored. Philly does need to upgrade their tending (as an outside fan looking in). They should not make the fateful error of overvaluing players because of a playoff run.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 12:18 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wayne Gretzky View Post
No one seems to mention Timonens week D on Kane as he scored that goal, I love Timonen, but to let Kane house you like that and then give a lazy attempt at a stick check is just unacceptable. But again you ***** about Leighton, the guy who had 3 shutouts in a round, the guy who led every statistical category in the playoffs aside from wins because of a bad goal. We were outplayed and heavily outshot through the first 2 periods of game 6.
So Kane gets a half of a step on Kimmo who recovers and keeps him outside to limit Kane to a weak shot from an odd angle at the bottom of the circle that should have been a routine save but somehow the goal is Kimmo's fault and he got "housed"? As a defenseman you are taught to keep shots from the outside and at bad angles which is what he did. If he were dangled and Kane walked in on Leighton it would be Timonens fault but that goal was weak and nobodys fault but Leightons.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 12:22 PM
jb**

Quote:
Philly needs a aging goalie? Really? Have you seen our goalie carousel the past few years... Homer wants a young guy to build on, not someone like Turco. Vokoun is the only veteran I'd go after.

I never said Leighton was better than Anderson.. I'm just pointing out that they were both backups at some time in their life before getting a starting gig. I'm honestly sick of you having a hard on for anything I say. We have different opinions. Deal with it.
you said my rebuttal was horrible when in fact i proved it wasnt.

Philly needs a quality goalie period. doesnt matter is aing,young, or whatever. Until shooter shows otherwise they will contiue the band aid approach. When they acquire a young guy to build around then i will believe it. Otherwsie just all gm speak.

Old
06-18-2010, 01:04 PM
SeanVT395
It's Not Even Close

Quote:
I'm going to laugh in your face when Carter is dealt.

I am not revealing my source. But its within the organization. Don't believe me. I don't care. But I'll tell you this. Flyers had no interest in Price. Quick and Bernier will not be a Flyer. Carter is on his way out. If all these happen, kiss my ass.
I didn't know you had direct connections to Paul Holmgren, hell maybe you have telepathy and can read his exact thoughts...

SeanVT395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 01:10 PM
Guest123

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanVT395 View Post
I didn't know you had direct connections to Paul Holmgren, hell maybe you have telepathy and can read his exact thoughts...
I never expected anyone to believe me. But I know my source is legit.

Old
06-18-2010, 01:19 PM
jb**

Quote:
you may very well have a source. However saying carter may be moved really isnt going out on a limb do you think? Your just setting yourself up to be ridiculed.

Old
06-18-2010, 01:40 PM
Guest123

Quote:
you may very well have a source. However saying carter may be moved really isnt going out on a limb do you think? Your just setting yourself up to be ridiculed.
Why do you have such a hard on for everything I say?

I'm willing to set myself up for ridicule because about a week ago when I said Carter was likely on the way out; other users declined believing that thinking that Carter was the best for this team bc of his size.

Leave me alone.

Old
06-18-2010, 01:42 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
I'm increasingly feeling that Mason is going to be in Philadelphia once the 2010-2011 seasons starts.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 01:45 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
I'm increasingly feeling that Mason is going to be in Philadelphia once the 2010-2011 seasons starts.
Not if his asking price and term is the rumored 3 yrs/11.25M per.

He's simply not worth that kind of cap hit, if the rumors I'm hearing are true. I'd take Biron back at half the cost before I'd hand that kind of contract to Mason. If that's what he's lookin' for, he's in for a rude awakening.

Old
06-18-2010, 01:45 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
I just have very good sources that say he was gone before his playoff performance.
..since when is Eklund considered a good source

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 01:47 PM
flames123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post
Halak will most likely be the blues new starter - if he isnt thats dumb, hes 10x the goalie Mason is.

To Philly: Mason
To St. Louis: Hartnell
Nice to see some intelligent Blackhawk Fan posts for once in a while.

1st - Mason is UFA..... that make no sense at all. Even if Mason was sign that would not be fair.

2nd - Mason was Canada's #4 guy going into the Olympics and he had an great few years posting good sv% and very good GAA.

flames123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 01:51 PM
jb**

Quote:

I'm willing to set myself up for ridicule because about a week ago when I said Carter was likely on the way out; other users declined believing that thinking that Carter was the best for this team bc of his size.

Leave me alone.
next time you talk to your source can you ask him/her if they will be resigning Rob Bellamy? thanks

Old
06-18-2010, 01:57 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFlyer View Post
Not if his asking price and term is the rumored 3 yrs/11.25M per.

He's simply not worth that kind of cap hit, if the rumors I'm hearing are true. I'd take Biron back at half the cost before I'd hand that kind of contract to Mason. If that's what he's lookin' for, he's in for a rude awakening.
That's not unreasonable for Mason if you ask me.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 02:27 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
I'm going to laugh in your face when Carter is dealt.

I am not revealing my source. But its within the organization. Don't believe me. I don't care. But I'll tell you this. Flyers had no interest in Price. Quick and Bernier will not be a Flyer. Carter is on his way out. If all these happen, kiss my ass.
Yeah, ok.

Carter is not on his way out. Carter is the reason Upshall got traded, and is our best offensive forward. Trading him would be the opposite of what we want to do.

If your sources are so awesome, tell me who we are talking to and what potential returns are going to be. Otherwise, get lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggzy View Post

Quote:

Coming from Mr. "I'm going to laugh in your face when Carter gets dealt" this is especially funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanVT395 View Post
Voices in his head!

Quote:
I realize trading Carter is a legit scenario but no return could possibly be worth it. It's mindless speculation unless I hear names and teams interested. If your source knows that Carter is on the way out, he knows where he is likely to land. Tell us.

Quote:
^ First time I agree with NWO in a while.

Quote:

Leave me alone.
Carter is one of the best on the team, but not because of his size.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 02:30 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
That's not unreasonable for Mason if you ask me.
$3.75M per season, for Mason? For three years? No thanks.

With the goalie climate the way it is now, I'd give the guy a two-year deal at $2.5M per. There's more goalies available than there are #1 positions. He'd be wise to take a deal like that from a contender, and ensure he has a job.

If Mason is looking for $3.75M, he's probably going to find himself in the same situation as Biron last year.

Old
06-18-2010, 02:33 PM
Boondock

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames123 View Post
Nice to see some intelligent Blackhawk Fan posts for once in a while.

1st - Mason is UFA..... that make no sense at all. Even if Mason was sign that would not be fair.

2nd - Mason was Canada's #4 guy going into the Olympics and he had an great few years posting good sv% and very good GAA.
wrong Mason, Steve Mason was Canada's #4, Chris Mason was not even in the equation.

That said I think Turco would be the best option for the Flyers. 1) Phiily's D is 10x better then Dallas'
2) I think he feels like he has a lot to prove and would probably sign with a cup contender for below market value. 3) Turco's last half of the season was pretty darn good

Boondock is offline   Reply With Quote