HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

The shocking Stanley Cup streak of former Peterborough Petes players

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-16-2010, 03:52 PM
  #1
Big Phil
Registered User
 
Big Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,683
vCash: 500
The shocking Stanley Cup streak of former Peterborough Petes players

Okay bear with me. A friend of mine the other day said he heard on the radio that after Chicago winning the Cup in 2010 that it ended a rather long streak where at least one former Peterborough Pete was on each Cup winning team. He forgot how long the streak went back, but remembered it to be several years.

I laughed, yeah right I thought. Then I quietly paused and reflected. The two Staals, Pronger, hmmmm, maybe he's right. So I looked it up and was astonished. How is it that so many former Peterborough Petes players were on so many prior Cup champs? So, the bottom line is I need a little help here. I cannot for the life of me find a Pete from the 2008 Red Wings. Not one on the roster. Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough I don't know. Also, maybe my friend was wrong with his information and it wasn't CONSECUTIVE years up until 2010. Or maybe he's counting non-players too. That would include Yzerman (assistant GM) and even Bowman (who coached in Peterborough and I believe was still a consultant in 2008). But that doesn't explain the 2000 Devils who I couldn't find a Pete link for either. Anyways, help me out here, I'm sure I am overlooking someone. If so, that is a very surprising streak for the Petes. Wow!

2009 - J. Staal
2008 - Can't find a player yet, just management which was Yzerman. Does that count?
2007 - Pronger
2006 - E. Staal
2004 - Stillman
2003 - Langenbrunner
2002 - Yzerman
2001 - Reid
2000 - There has to be one somewhere - help me. Coach? Manager?
1999 - Reid
1998 - Yzerman
1997 - Yzerman
1996 - Ricci
1995 -
1994 - Larmer
1993 -
1992 - Murphy
1991 - Murphy
1990 -

Anyways, still pretty impressive even if that's as good as the list gets. While there aren't any from the Oilers or Islanders teams that I saw there still is a player from the Habs dynasty (Gainey, Jarvis) the Flyers teams (MacLeish) and even the 1971 and 1973 Habs (Larose) and 1968 and 1969 Habs (Redmond). Pretty impressive.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 04:50 PM
  #2
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 21,840
vCash: 500
Just to clarify, before I start looking, did you go through entire rosters of those years, or just players who played in the playoffs? The only reason I wonder, is because there could be names on the Cup of players who could have been injured for the playoffs (but met the minimum # of regular season games played), etc. Wait, there IS a loophole like that to get a ring without actually playing a game in the playoffs, right?

edit: went through the entire 2008 Red Wings, and if Yzerman doesn't count, there's no one else that makes the connection.


Last edited by Ohashi_Jouzu: 06-16-2010 at 05:02 PM.
Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 04:50 PM
  #3
Canadiens1958
Registered User
 
Canadiens1958's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 11,062
vCash: 500
Wording

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Okay bear with me. A friend of mine the other day said he heard on the radio that after Chicago winning the Cup in 2010 that it ended a rather long streak where at least one former Peterborough Pete was on each Cup winning team. He forgot how long the streak went back, but remembered it to be several years.

I laughed, yeah right I thought. Then I quietly paused and reflected. The two Staals, Pronger, hmmmm, maybe he's right. So I looked it up and was astonished. How is it that so many former Peterborough Petes players were on so many prior Cup champs? So, the bottom line is I need a little help here. I cannot for the life of me find a Pete from the 2008 Red Wings. Not one on the roster. Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough I don't know. Also, maybe my friend was wrong with his information and it wasn't CONSECUTIVE years up until 2010. Or maybe he's counting non-players too. That would include Yzerman (assistant GM) and even Bowman (who coached in Peterborough and I believe was still a consultant in 2008). But that doesn't explain the 2000 Devils who I couldn't find a Pete link for either. Anyways, help me out here, I'm sure I am overlooking someone. If so, that is a very surprising streak for the Petes. Wow!

2009 - J. Staal
2008 - Can't find a player yet, just management which was Yzerman. Does that count?
2007 - Pronger
2006 - E. Staal
2004 - Stillman
2003 - Langenbrunner
2002 - Yzerman
2001 - Reid
2000 - There has to be one somewhere - help me. Coach? Manager?
1999 - Reid
1998 - Yzerman
1997 - Yzerman
1996 - Ricci
1995 -
1994 - Larmer
1993 -
1992 - Murphy
1991 - Murphy
1990 -

Anyways, still pretty impressive even if that's as good as the list gets. While there aren't any from the Oilers or Islanders teams that I saw there still is a player from the Habs dynasty (Gainey, Jarvis) the Flyers teams (MacLeish) and even the 1971 and 1973 Habs (Larose) and 1968 and 1969 Habs (Redmond). Pretty impressive.
How was the question phrased?

Yzerman is the only 2008.

2000 and 1995 Devils would be Jacques Caron the goaltending coach who played in Peterborough.

List of NHL players/coaches thru Peterborough(min 100 NHL games)
below:

http://www.gopetesgo.com/tradition.php?show=nhl

The 1993 Canadiens and 1990 Oilers no one from the players played but that does not preclude coaching afterwards, or NHL staff that passed thru Peterborough.

BTW - Jim Roberts would have the most SC appearances and wins for a former Pete player, Bowman for a coach.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 04:50 PM
  #4
vadim sharifijanov
Registered User
 
vadim sharifijanov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,165
vCash: 500
it doesn't help you fill in any of the gaps, but jassen cullimore was also on the tampa bay team in '04. he and pronger were one hell of an imposing pairing on the petes in the early 90s. a combined 12'11".

shawn thornton, jason williams, and bob errey are also former petes who won cups with another former pete.

if you want to take it farther back, gretzky played a few games with the petes as a 15 year old, so there's four in the 80s for you.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 07:16 PM
  #5
Big Phil
Registered User
 
Big Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
How was the question phrased?
I wish I knew. This was second hand information.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 04:46 AM
  #6
tommygunn
Registered User
 
tommygunn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
it doesn't help you fill in any of the gaps, but jassen cullimore was also on the tampa bay team in '04.
He was also on the roster of this year's Hawks, although he never saw any action...

tommygunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 05:11 AM
  #7
jkrx
Registered User
 
jkrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,217
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Okay bear with me. A friend of mine the other day said he heard on the radio that after Chicago winning the Cup in 2010 that it ended a rather long streak where at least one former Peterborough Pete was on each Cup winning team. He forgot how long the streak went back, but remembered it to be several years.

I laughed, yeah right I thought. Then I quietly paused and reflected. The two Staals, Pronger, hmmmm, maybe he's right. So I looked it up and was astonished. How is it that so many former Peterborough Petes players were on so many prior Cup champs? So, the bottom line is I need a little help here. I cannot for the life of me find a Pete from the 2008 Red Wings. Not one on the roster. Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough I don't know. Also, maybe my friend was wrong with his information and it wasn't CONSECUTIVE years up until 2010. Or maybe he's counting non-players too. That would include Yzerman (assistant GM) and even Bowman (who coached in Peterborough and I believe was still a consultant in 2008). But that doesn't explain the 2000 Devils who I couldn't find a Pete link for either. Anyways, help me out here, I'm sure I am overlooking someone. If so, that is a very surprising streak for the Petes. Wow!

2009 - J. Staal
2008 - Can't find a player yet, just management which was Yzerman. Does that count?
2007 - Pronger
2006 - E. Staal
2004 - Stillman
2003 - Langenbrunner
2002 - Yzerman
2001 - Reid
2000 - There has to be one somewhere - help me. Coach? Manager?
1999 - Reid
1998 - Yzerman
1997 - Yzerman
1996 - Ricci
1995 -
1994 - Larmer
1993 -
1992 - Murphy
1991 - Murphy
1990 -

Anyways, still pretty impressive even if that's as good as the list gets. While there aren't any from the Oilers or Islanders teams that I saw there still is a player from the Habs dynasty (Gainey, Jarvis) the Flyers teams (MacLeish) and even the 1971 and 1973 Habs (Larose) and 1968 and 1969 Habs (Redmond). Pretty impressive.
In 1995 and 2000 Caron, Devils goalie coach. He is a Pete. In 2008 there was no one on the roster from Petes but management. I dont know any from Habs '93 team unless there is some obscure trainer or janitor whos from Petes. I think Kitchener Rangers and London Knights probably has similiar trends of having players win the cup.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 03:49 PM
  #8
Big Phil
Registered User
 
Big Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
In 1995 and 2000 Caron, Devils goalie coach. He is a Pete. In 2008 there was no one on the roster from Petes but management. I dont know any from Habs '93 team unless there is some obscure trainer or janitor whos from Petes. I think Kitchener Rangers and London Knights probably has similiar trends of having players win the cup.
No there isn't. I am a Kitchener Ranger fan and while there are some nice names who have won Cups (Stevens, MacInnis, Barber, Robinson, Coffey) with the exception of Devereaux I can't think of a very recent one. Despite the greatness of other junior franchises the Petes have a disturbing (in a good way) amount of players who have won Cups year after year. More than any other team from my count.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 04:07 PM
  #9
jkrx
Registered User
 
jkrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,217
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
No there isn't. I am a Kitchener Ranger fan and while there are some nice names who have won Cups (Stevens, MacInnis, Barber, Robinson, Coffey) with the exception of Devereaux I can't think of a very recent one. Despite the greatness of other junior franchises the Petes have a disturbing (in a good way) amount of players who have won Cups year after year. More than any other team from my count.
I didnt mean recently.. but I think kitchener players have been involved in 20 years in a row somewhere down the line. Although I cant be arsed to actually see if I can compile a list. Im just thinking off Coffey, Risebrough, Barber, Stevens, Robinson and there is probably someone whos been in the management for other teams.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 01:44 AM
  #10
JSmith81x
Your weapon is guilt
 
JSmith81x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: illinois
Posts: 2,727
vCash: 1000
Kitchener Rangers

1973 - Larry Robinson MTL
1974 - Bill Barber PHI
1975 - Bill Barber PHI
1976 - Doug Risebrough, Larry Robinson MTL
1977 - Doug Risebrough, Larry Robinson MTL
1978 - Doug Risebrough, Larry Robinson MTL
1979 - Doug Risebrough, Larry Robinson MTL

1984 - Paul Coffey EDM
1985 - Paul Coffey EDM
1986 - Larry Robinson MTL
1987 - Paul Coffey EDM

1989 - Al MacInnis CGY

1991 - Paul Coffey, Wendell Young PIT
1992 - Wendell Young PIT

1995 - Scott Stevens NJ
1996 - Craig Wolanin COL

2000 - Scott Stevens NJ

2002 - Boyd Devereaux DET
2003 - Scott Stevens NJ


London Knights

1987 - Steve Smith EDM
1988 - Steve Smith EDM
1989 - Rob Ramage CGY
1990 - Steve Smith EDM
1991 - Rick Kehoe (assistant coach) PIT
1992 - Rick Kehoe (assistant coach) PIT
1993 - Rob Ramage MTL

1997 - Brendan Shanahan, Tim Taylor DET
1998 - Brendan Shanahan DET

2002 - Brendan Shanahan DET

2004 - Tim Taylor TB

2007 - Corey Perry ANA

2010 - Dave Bolland, Patrick Kane CHI

---

There might be more, but I got tired of looking.

JSmith81x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 02:38 PM
  #11
jkrx
Registered User
 
jkrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,217
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayzinSmith View Post
Kitchener Rangers

1973 - Larry Robinson MTL
1974 - Bill Barber PHI
1975 - Bill Barber PHI
1976 - Doug Risebrough, Larry Robinson MTL
1977 - Doug Risebrough, Larry Robinson MTL
1978 - Doug Risebrough, Larry Robinson MTL
1979 - Doug Risebrough, Larry Robinson MTL

1984 - Paul Coffey EDM
1985 - Paul Coffey EDM
1986 - Larry Robinson MTL
1987 - Paul Coffey EDM

1989 - Al MacInnis CGY

1991 - Paul Coffey, Wendell Young PIT
1992 - Wendell Young PIT

1995 - Scott Stevens NJ
1996 - Craig Wolanin COL

2000 - Scott Stevens NJ

2002 - Boyd Devereaux DET
2003 - Scott Stevens NJ


London Knights

1987 - Steve Smith EDM
1988 - Steve Smith EDM
1989 - Rob Ramage CGY
1990 - Steve Smith EDM
1991 - Rick Kehoe (assistant coach) PIT
1992 - Rick Kehoe (assistant coach) PIT
1993 - Rob Ramage MTL

1997 - Brendan Shanahan, Tim Taylor DET
1998 - Brendan Shanahan DET

2002 - Brendan Shanahan DET

2004 - Tim Taylor TB

2007 - Corey Perry ANA

2010 - Dave Bolland, Patrick Kane CHI

---

There might be more, but I got tired of looking.
1973 - Larry Robinson MTL
1974 - Bill Barber PHI
1975 - Bill Barber PHI
1976 - Doug Risebrough, Larry Robinson MTL
1977 - Doug Risebrough, Larry Robinson MTL
1978 - Doug Risebrough, Larry Robinson MTL
1979 - Doug Risebrough, Larry Robinson MTL

1984 - Paul Coffey EDM
1985 - Paul Coffey EDM
1986 - Larry Robinson MTL
1987 - Paul Coffey EDM

1989 - Al MacInnis CGY

1991 - Paul Coffey, Wendell Young PIT
1992 - Wendell Young PIT
1993 - Gilbert Dionne
1994 - Nick Kypreos NYR
1995 - Scott Stevens NJ
1996 - Craig Wolanin and Warren Rychel COL
1997 - Joe McDonnell DET (Scout)
1998 - Joe McDonnell DET (Scout)

2000 - Scott Stevens NJ
(2001 Avs team had Orval Tessier who played for the greenshirts in Kitchener which later was moved to the Petes)
2002 - Boyd Devereaux DET
2003 - Scott Stevens NJ
2004 - Bill Barber and Darren Rumble


Last edited by jkrx: 06-18-2010 at 02:47 PM.
jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:03 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.