HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

New York Rangers - All Time Draft Roster

View Poll Results: RANGERS ALL DRAFT ROSTER GOALTENDER
Steve BAKER 0 0%
Dan BLACKBURN 1 0.93%
Dan CLOUTIER 0 0%
Corey HIRSCH 0 0%
Johan HOLMQVIST 1 0.93%
Chris HOLT 1 0.93%
Jason LABARBERA 0 0%
Henrik LUNDQVIST 80 74.77%
Jamie RAM 0 0%
Mike RICHTER 84 78.50%
Doug SOETAERT 0 0%
John VANBIESBROUCK 3 2.80%
Steve WEEKS 1 0.93%
Vitali YEREMEYEV 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-19-2010, 12:32 AM
hlundqvist30*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GothamRanger View Post
Stats be damned, if he doesn't win a cup here Lundqvist will be long forgotten.
Just like we've forgotten about Eddie Giacomin. Oh wait, no we haven't...

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 12:36 AM
gravytrain6t

gosh darn it, I voted for "Hank" but forgot to check off "Richter." Not that it matters they're both great starting goal tenders.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 12:37 AM
NYRangers4Life1994

Send a message via AIM to NYRangers4Life1994 Send a message via MSN to NYRangers4Life1994
Is there a reason why I am not allowed to vote, by the way? It says I cant...

NYRangers4Life1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 12:59 AM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers4Life1994 View Post
Is there a reason why I am not allowed to vote, by the way? It says I cant...
Need more posts.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 01:07 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
I think I'd have to go with Lundy. I didnt get to see Richter a lot because I was pretty young but I am not saying Richter was a horrible goalie, I just feel Lundy is a better goalie, overall based on what I did see and stats. Richter only had 3-30+ win seasons. Lundqvist has 5 in his first 5 seasons. Richter only had 5 winning record seasons. 8 losing record seasons. Granted he was hurt but still..

Im not saying Richter sucks. He did achieve a lot but Lundy is surely going to surpass a lot of what Richter did. Maybe have 1 cup(God, I hope....) but Lundy will fly by his records.

This is very bias, I know but I can only give my opinion out based on what I seen. I only saw Richters downfall towards his career.
ahem... I repeat

If we are ranking on potential than is Derek Stepan our #1 center?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
meaningless stat imho.

base it on their careers as a whole, not a few games at the end of every season.

Henriks SV% his first 5 seasons are:

Richters:

Richter has never hit .920 for a season...Henrik has done it twice already.

Lundqvist has already equaled the # of shutouts that Richter had in his career.

Richter has never seen 2,000 shots in a season. Lundqvist has already seen that twice.

You're selling Lundqvist very very short

Again, Im only ranking em as close as I do because of Richters longevity/sustainability. If I were to ignore that, it would be Henrik Lundqvist by a lot.
What are you reading? I say he's awesome. He has the potential to surpass all of Richter's achievement and records. The only slight is that he hasn't made it out of the 2nd round of the playoffs. To ignore "a few games at the end of every season" as if they were insignificant is ridiculous, but I did not ignore regular season achievements either as you seem to imply. The ENTIRETY of Richter's career > the ENTIRETY of Lundqvist's career to date. Yes, I am saying 15 years of Richter > 5 years of Lundqvist. Surely 15 years of Lundqvist will be >>> 15 of Richter. 10 years of Lundqvist will probably be > 15 years of Richter but I am looking at the entirety of their careers and not future projected careers as some seem to be doing.

Last edited by n8: 06-19-2010 at 01:26 AM.
n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 01:23 AM
NYRangers4Life1994

Send a message via AIM to NYRangers4Life1994 Send a message via MSN to NYRangers4Life1994
Then having Lundqvist as a choice is pointless if your going to say that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
ahem... I repeat

NYRangers4Life1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 01:38 AM
skymachine

Might as well eliminate all but 2 of the choices from the poll.

skymachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 01:47 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
ahem... I repeat

What are you reading? I say he's awesome. He has the potential to surpass all of Richter's achievement and records. The only slight is that he hasn't made it out of the 2nd round of the playoffs. To ignore "a few games at the end of every season" as if they were insignificant is ridiculous, but I did not ignore regular season achievements either as you seem to imply. The ENTIRETY of Richter's career > the ENTIRETY of Lundqvist's career to date. Yes, I am saying 15 years of Richter > 5 years of Lundqvist. Surely 15 years of Lundqvist will be >>> 15 of Richter. 10 years of Lundqvist will probably be > 15 years of Richter but I am looking at the entirety of their careers and not future projected careers as some seem to be doing.
and i still dont agree whatsoever. ive gotta work on some stuff right now, but take a look at the numbers, aside from a ring, henrik has absolutely dominated richter in almost every statistical category..henriks worst year in the NHL so far is better than all but 1 of Richters seasons. it would be one thing to just compare 1 year of Lundqvist to 15 years of Richter. But were talking 5 years...and its not as if Richter is/was a goalie of Dominic Haseks ilk. Hes a damn good goalie for sure, but after all is said and done, Henrik Lundqvist will be a first ballot hall of fame goalie. Richter isnt even a consideration for the HOF.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 02:01 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
I'm not sure which is worse, that Holt is in this poll or that someone voted for him.

My pick is Richter and it will stay that will till Hank wins us a cup.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 02:04 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
and i still dont agree whatsoever. ive gotta work on some stuff right now, but take a look at the numbers, aside from a ring, henrik has absolutely dominated richter in almost every statistical category..henriks worst year in the NHL so far is better than all but 1 of Richters seasons. it would be one thing to just compare 1 year of Lundqvist to 15 years of Richter. But were talking 5 years...and its not as if Richter is/was a goalie of Dominic Haseks ilk. Hes a damn good goalie for sure, but after all is said and done, Henrik Lundqvist will be a first ballot hall of fame goalie. Richter isnt even a consideration for the HOF.
Richter is a shoe in for the HOF for what he did in USA hockey alone.

Quote whatever numbers you want Inferno but Richter did what no other goalie has done in almost a century. Win a cup for the Rangers.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 02:18 AM
LyNX27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Quote whatever numbers you want Inferno but Niemi did what no other goalie has done in almost a century. Win a cup for the Blackhawks.
See what I did there?

The cup is a team trophy, definitely not an individual trophy. And Richter played amazing for that season but there is no doubt the Rangers had a crazy good line up including many players who had won multiple cups on the Oilers...

That line up look familiar in the slightest? Add Graves, Leetch, Zubov and Richter into the mix and you have yourself a 93/94 cup.

So ya these "Numbers" might not have a lot of importance but if they don't then the Stanley Cup that Richter won is pretty much a moot point.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 04:27 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Then having Lundqvist as a choice is pointless if your going to say that.
That is an exaggeration to make a point. Obviously Stepan isn't that good and Lundqvist's 5 years do count for something. Inferno and I will just have to agree to disagree. I think 15 years of Richter > 5 years of Lundqvist. I'm pretty certain 10 years of Lundqvist > 15 Richter. Lundqvist in 7 years is probably pretty close which is like saying Lundqvist is twice the goalie Richter was which seems like a stretch when you say it out loud.

Old
06-19-2010, 10:07 AM
GothamRanger

Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
Just like we've forgotten about Eddie Giacomin. Oh wait, no we haven't...
We haven't? Why did the likes of Bathgate and Howell get their numbers retired after the '94 team players?

There is another player from the Garden who dominated every statistical category but did not win a championship. As much as New Yorkers love him that silly "team accomplishment" at the end of the year that is missing from a players bio really seems to be an albatross.

This town is no different than any other. We likes winners. Until Lundqvist gets deep into the playoffs, let alone win a cup, regardless of what team is in front of him, he'll just be another loser with pretty numbers.

I am not trying to downplay Hank. I voted for him + Richter. But I'll have to give the edge to 35 over 30 for this reason alone, it really is the trump card.

GothamRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 10:16 AM
chosen

Quote:
ahem... I repeat

The only slight is that he hasn't made it out of the 2nd round of the playoffs.
Ahem, Lundqvist is no Leighton. Right?

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 10:34 AM
OverTheCap

Richter is my favorite player of all time.

But Lundqvist is the better goaltender.

When Richter was on, he was incredible. I think the '97 playoffs was his finest piece of work, even better than '94.

But he did have some bad seasons. 1994-95 stands out in particular, and this was before any of his major knee injuries. He was so mediocre that Healy had to play a few games in the playoffs. Lundqvist has yet to have a season as bad as that.

Richter had some amazing teams in front of him. The defense alone is far superior than any of the crap that Lundqvist has had to put up with in his short career. If you put Richter on any of these post-lockouts teams, I'm not sure if he can bail the team out like Lundqvist does on a regular basis.

I'll give Richter the edge on clutchness, but Lundqvist possesses more skill and goaltending ability.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 11:57 AM
GothamRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
But he did have some bad seasons. 1994-95 stands out in particular, and this was before any of his major knee injuries. He was so mediocre that Healy had to play a few games in the playoffs. Lundqvist has yet to have a season as bad as that.

Richter had some amazing teams in front of him. The defense alone is far superior than any of the crap that Lundqvist has had to put up with in his short career. If you put Richter on any of these post-lockouts teams, I'm not sure if he can bail the team out like Lundqvist does on a regular basis.

I'll give Richter the edge on clutchness, but Lundqvist possesses more skill and goaltending ability.
I think you are right for the most part on your assessment. But to say Richter had some amazing teams in front of him is a bit of an overstatement. 94 Team was great, but it was more or less a fly-by-night operation. I would say he had 3 really good teams in front of him in his entire career.

Lundqvist has a pretty bad rookie playoff campaign, Weekes had to step in, even though the consensus was Hank was injured.

Old
06-19-2010, 12:08 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Richter is my favorite player of all time.

But Lundqvist is the better goaltender.

When Richter was on, he was incredible. I think the '97 playoffs was his finest piece of work, even better than '94.

I'll give Richter the edge on clutchness
, but Lundqvist possesses more skill and goaltending ability.
Game 1 against the Devils in the 94 ECF, Richter blew a 3-2 lead with a minute to go. He blew another lead in game 7 with seconds to go.

People always remember Matteau, Matteau, Matteau...they forget that the Rangers blew a lead with under 10 seconds to go.

Clutch is such an overused, and overrated term.

Richter wasn't clutch. He won a cup, sure, but he wasn't clutch. You don't blow 2 games in the final minute during the E.C.F. and get called clutch.

Old
06-19-2010, 12:13 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
I think you are right for the most part on your assessment. But to say Richter had some amazing teams in front of him is a bit of an overstatement. 94 Team was great, but it was more or less a fly-by-night operation. I would say he had 3 really good teams in front of him in his entire career.

Lundqvist has a pretty bad rookie playoff campaign, Weekes had to step in, even though the consensus was Hank was injured.
I think Richter has had far, far, far more talented teams than Henrik has had in front of him. I dont even think its a contest.

With that said, I think Lundqvist has had far, far, far healthier teams in front of him. And that is accounts for at least a small part of the discrepancy in their numbers.

Old
06-19-2010, 01:40 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Game 1 against the Devils in the 94 ECF, Richter blew a 3-2 lead with a minute to go. He blew another lead in game 7 with seconds to go.

People always remember Matteau, Matteau, Matteau...they forget that the Rangers blew a lead with under 10 seconds to go.

Clutch is such an overused, and overrated term.

Richter wasn't clutch. He won a cup, sure, but he wasn't clutch. You don't blow 2 games in the final minute during the E.C.F. and get called clutch.

What you just described has happened to almost every elite goalie in the game. Lundqvist in '07 against Buffalo. Brodeur last year against Carolina.

It doesn't take away from the fact that Richter was a mentally tough goalie. He may have given up the game tying goal, but in the end, he was the winning goaltender in that game. Many goalies would have been rattled by that but he didn't let it affect his game and made some great saves in OT to win it.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 01:42 PM
GothamRanger

Quote:
I don't think clutch means necessarily not giving up a goal with a minute left or making a big breakaway save, although that's definitley a part of it. Richter seemed to rise with the level of play. That's what made him clutch both for the Rangers and national squad.

Old
06-19-2010, 05:29 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Why hasn't this poll proceeded to the next position?

Old
06-19-2010, 06:32 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Richter
Lundqvist

HM:
Beezer

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 06:53 PM
LyNX27

Quote:
Why hasn't this poll proceeded to the next position?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Richter
Lundqvist

HM:
Beezer
Both Quoted for Truth... On to the next one?

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 07:02 PM
Zil

Quote:
We haven't? Why did the likes of Bathgate and Howell get their numbers retired after the '94 team players?

There is another player from the Garden who dominated every statistical category but did not win a championship. As much as New Yorkers love him that silly "team accomplishment" at the end of the year that is missing from a players bio really seems to be an albatross.

This town is no different than any other. We likes winners. Until Lundqvist gets deep into the playoffs, let alone win a cup, regardless of what team is in front of him, he'll just be another loser with pretty numbers.

I am not trying to downplay Hank. I voted for him + Richter. But I'll have to give the edge to 35 over 30 for this reason alone, it really is the trump card.
Giacomin and Gilbert had their numbers retired before the 94 guys ever played. Claiming they've been forgotten because they didn't win a cup is just ignorant. They have been and always will be loved at the garden. If any thing makes a team forgot about players it's the passage of time. Not whether they won a cup or not. Boucher and the Cook brothers won cups here, but they're not half as well known as Gilbert and Giacomin now. Bourque never won a cup in Boston. I guess they're going to forget about him.

Bathgate's number wasn't retired because he had a bad relationship with the ownership on his way out of town. When ownership decides to retire a guy's number has nothing to do with how the fans view him anyway. Montreal didn't get around to retiring Boom Boom Geoffrion's number until a few years ago for goodness' sake.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 08:26 PM
GothamRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
Giacomin and Gilbert had their numbers retired before the 94 guys ever played. Claiming they've been forgotten because they didn't win a cup is just ignorant. They have been and always will be loved at the garden. If any thing makes a team forgot about players it's the passage of time. Not whether they won a cup or not. Boucher and the Cook brothers won cups here, but they're not half as well known as Gilbert and Giacomin now. Bourque never won a cup in Boston. I guess they're going to forget about him.

Bathgate's number wasn't retired because he had a bad relationship with the ownership on his way out of town. When ownership decides to retire a guy's number has nothing to do with how the fans view him anyway. Montreal didn't get around to retiring Boom Boom Geoffrion's number until a few years ago for goodness' sake.
Fair enough. I know winning the cup doesn't determine who gets retired, I am saying that winning a cup has an inoordinate impact on how a player is viewed in retrospect, which explains why Richter is neck and neck with Lundqvist despite Hank's superior statistics.

If the Rangers didn't win the cup or Richter didn't have the international accolades I doubt #35 is up in the Garden.