HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2010 NHL Draft Talk - Preds pick 18th overall

Old
06-17-2010, 07:26 AM
Seth Lake

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott76 View Post
Anyone want to make a pick for the Preds in a mock draft?

Here's whats come about so far..

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=785540

PM me your next pick. Do not post it to the board. The first PM I get will be the Pred's pick

Thanks!
I don't know...Bjugstad has fallen to us at No. 18, but is a little bit of a long-term project that I'm not sure we can afford to take on at this point. However, I'm not sure at the same time we can let him slide any further. Watson and Etem are gone, but Howden is still on the board. My preference is Howden, but I'm gonna let someone else decide...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 09:32 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
I don't know...Bjugstad has fallen to us at No. 18, but is a little bit of a long-term project that I'm not sure we can afford to take on at this point. However, I'm not sure at the same time we can let him slide any further. Watson and Etem are gone, but Howden is still on the board. My preference is Howden, but I'm gonna let someone else decide...
Bjugstad is a Budish clone. Nashville's already got enough of those. Howden can work, but I think value wise would be calling Boston if there are trades allowed in this draft

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 09:35 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Bjugstad is a Budish clone. Nashville's already got enough of those. Howden can work, but I think value wise would be calling Boston if there are trades allowed in this draft
I don't necessarily agree. Even to pick up the extra picks, that's a pretty big drop to make, especially considering Howden would still be a really good pick at that spot.

...especially when you look at forwards we've drafted in the second round

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 09:49 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
I don't necessarily agree. Even to pick up the extra picks, that's a pretty big drop to make, especially considering Howden would still be a really good pick at that spot.

...especially when you look at forwards we've drafted in the second round
With the extra picks it's BPA not best forward. Hell, the best forwards Poile has ever drafted have come from the 7th round. Looking at his Washington past he was very forward centric and drafted a couple of HOFers in the first round. No real patterns you see in Nashville. If anything I joking would ask the team to trade for every 7th rounder in the draft.

Old
06-17-2010, 10:01 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
With the extra picks it's BPA not best forward. Hell, the best forwards Poile has ever drafted have come from the 7th round. Looking at his Washington past he was very forward centric and drafted a couple of HOFers in the first round. No real patterns you see in Nashville. If anything I joking would ask the team to trade for every 7th rounder in the draft.
But that's another thing. I generally agree with the BPA principle, but through whatever ironic twist of fate, we repeatedly come up with a defenseman as BPA. The traditional logic states that you don't draft for now, you draft for the future...but the future eventually comes, and you've got to have a place to put all those guys. When one cupboard is so bare, I don't know you can turn your nose up at a forward with good potential to put yourself in a situation where you might end up having to pick TWO defensemen with good potential. For a lot of teams, that's a good trade-off...in our special case, I'm not sure it is.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 10:26 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

If Nashville really wants to get better for now or the future, Poile will trade up in the draft OR will make moves to clean out some of the veterans. This team needs to be revamped if it is going to make it to the next level.

BFC is right, the lack of high draft picks kills us. So why don't we gun for a high draft pick? Nashville needs to win now. Not three years down the road. If it means making a great amount of sacrifices, I think we should do it.

It's all in time.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 10:35 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
If Nashville really wants to get better for now or the future, Poile will trade up in the draft OR will make moves to clean out some of the veterans. This team needs to be revamped if it is going to make it to the next level.

BFC is right, the lack of high draft picks kills us. So why don't we gun for a high draft pick? Nashville needs to win now. Not three years down the road. If it means making a great amount of sacrifices, I think we should do it.

It's all in time.

I say trade the top pick only because I'm looking at Poile's Washington draft history with Nashville's history and he's not the greatest GM for first rounders but the lower picks he's phenominal.

Old
06-17-2010, 10:55 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
you can never have enough big tough north american power forwards. those guys are like gold

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 11:42 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
you can never have enough big tough north american power forwards. those guys are like gold
I'm sorry, Brian Burke called, He'd like his brain back.

Old
06-17-2010, 01:13 PM
Seth Lake

Interesting interview with Paul Fenton up on NP.com talking about the 2010 NHL Draft Combine...didn't really name any names, but I thought this was particularly interesting...

Quote:
NP.com: Coming out of this yearís combine, did the Preds draft board change any?

Fenton: There was one (prospect) this year that, in a negative way, impacted his draft position with us. That doesnít happen a lot. In the yearís Iíve been doing this, I think there are only two kids Iíve had our scouts take off of our draft board based on the combine; the personality of the player, the answers he gave, the lack of drive, or even the extreme cockiness in some manners. But for the most part, what you see on the ice matches up what you see at the combine.
http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=531847

Old
06-17-2010, 01:15 PM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
If Nashville really wants to get better for now or the future, Poile will trade up in the draft OR will make moves to clean out some of the veterans.
How do you propose that he cleans out some of the veterans with all the no trade/no movement agreements? Doesn't matter whether we agree with him in giving the agreements, we have them now.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 01:16 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Interesting interview with Paul Fenton up on NP.com talking about the 2010 NHL Draft Combine...didn't really name any names, but I thought this was particularly interesting...

Gee, would his initials begin with the same ones Kevin Klein has?

Old
06-17-2010, 01:19 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
How do you propose that he cleans out some of the veterans with all the no trade/no movement agreements? Doesn't matter whether we agree with him in giving the agreements, we have them now.
A no trade clause just simply gives the player power to chose where he goes. It doesn't mean the player refused to move, just has sway to say he will go to where HE wants to go, not the club. Let's say Jason Arnott wants to retire with Dallas or New Jersey. he can sway that way. Or Dumont is sick of 3rd line minutes and wants to go, he can sway that way. It's a matter of relationship and who has the power.

Old
06-17-2010, 01:25 PM
lstcyr

Quote:
A no trade clause just simply gives the player power to chose where he goes. It doesn't mean the player refused to move, just has sway to say he will go to where HE wants to go, not the club. Let's say Jason Arnott wants to retire with Dallas or New Jersey. he can sway that way. Or Dumont is sick of 3rd line minutes and wants to go, he can sway that way. It's a matter of relationship and who has the power.
Not sure I agree. A no trade clause gives a player the right "not to be traded". Granted that puts the power with the player so they can waive it for the right team/reason but it doesn't give Poile the ability to move out the older players on his own. We're saying the same thing but I'm disagreeing with you on whether Poile can move out the older players per your statement.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 01:28 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:

Interesting, any ideas of who it was?

Soundgarden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 01:31 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
Interesting, any ideas of who it was?
Nope. I would probably look at guys scheduled to be around our draft position though. I know your interviews at the combine are limited (I think the limit is 10), so I don't think we were wasting any on guys that would be long gone or definite stretches...

Character is such an important part of "The Predator Way" and this only goes to reinforce that opinion. Poile and Fenton are not going to take a risk on a player with "issues"...Kabanov is definitely a player that will not be on the Predators draft board and I would be surprised if they even interviewed him...

Old
06-19-2010, 09:31 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/scott_cullen/?id=323260

Old
06-19-2010, 10:20 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Gee, would his initials begin with the same ones Kevin Klein has?
If that was the issue back then they would've have picked him in the first place.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 10:22 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
I say trade the top pick only because I'm looking at Poile's Washington draft history with Nashville's history and he's not the greatest GM for first rounders but the lower picks he's phenominal.
Not the greatest for first rounders? Other than Finley being a bust, I believe every first rounder he's taken has played in the NHL for extended time at this point, with the exception of the last few years of course but Blum should be here by the end of the year and Ellis is already knocking on the door as well. Don't know what more you want from him in that regard with the slots we usually draft at.

Old
06-19-2010, 10:25 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Not the greatest for first rounders? Other than Finley being a bust, I believe every first rounder he's taken has played in the NHL for extended time at this point, with the exception of the last few years of course but Blum should be here by the end of the year and Ellis is already knocking on the door as well. Don't know what more you want from him in that regard with the slots we usually draft at.
Yeah that post was made while I have been on a diet and crashed my glucose to a point my mom who's a diabetic was scared for me.

1) Poile does not make picks, his scouting team of Fenton and Co. does.

2) I was looking at the past movement history of Washington.

Old
06-19-2010, 10:38 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Yeah that post was made while I have been on a diet and crashed my glucose to a point my mom who's a diabetic was scared for me.

1) Poile does not make picks, his scouting team of Fenton and Co. does.

2) I was looking at the past movement history of Washington.
Gotcha. You feeling better now?

Old
06-19-2010, 10:44 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Gotcha. You feeling better now?
Not really. LOL! Muscles are so damn sore. But my chest is in the 50's measurements and my gut is now down below the 40's. If I get to 200lbs I'll be happy.

Now back on topic.

Even with the record, would you want the guy were could pick up at #18 or make a trade for Buff?

Old
06-19-2010, 10:50 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Not really. LOL! Muscles are so damn sore. But my chest is in the 50's measurements and my gut is now down below the 40's. If I get to 200lbs I'll be happy.

Now back on topic.

Even with the record, would you want the guy were could pick up at #18 or make a trade for Buff?
Duh. Buff in a second but how would we afford it and would the Hawks deal within the division?

Old
06-19-2010, 10:56 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Duh. Buff in a second but how would we afford it and would the Hawks deal within the division?
I think they don't have a choice. They are WELL into cap hell. In fact, I think they are constructing their own 8th circle of cap hell with a plastic spoon right now.

ST. Louis has lots of forward spots and cap space. Nashville can offer very cheap and effective roster players in exchange for players.

Imagine if you will, Nashville trades Dumont for a 2nd to another team. Then they turn around and trade their 1st for Buff. It's a million dollar loss for the Preds and that cap room can sign Hornqvist. They trade O'Reilly to Chicago for a lower forward AHL prospect. O'Reilly does NOT fit Nashville's system and his 575,000 number would look really sexy to Chicago.

Looking at the Chicago threads they say it would take LESS than a 1st for Buff. And I think Buff would fit a hell of a lot better on a 3rd line than Dumont.

Old
06-19-2010, 11:03 AM
glenngineer

Buff would be a nice addition because he can play forward or D and has a ton of size obviously. The thing I don't like about him is his inconsistency. He can go on stretches where he lights it up, 2nd and 3rd round of the playoffs and then disappear like he did in the finals. I would still take him though regardless.