HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs want Giroux for Price

Old
06-18-2010, 11:27 PM
Larry44
10 - 88

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
I could see Turco taking a 2-year deal as his career is slowly starting to see the end. He sees a chance at a Cup, a starting spot, and a great fanbase

Hell, maybe Nabokov will not get any offers and "have" to sign with us.
At this point, we have to trust that the pro scouts are scrubbing video of all the UFAs and others, checking their contacts and trying to figure out which one is 'their guy.'

We'll see.
Turco? Puck handling could add years to Pronger and Kimmo.
Ellis? Cheap solid option.
Leighton? Will they keep him as at least the backup. Who else might sign him?
Mason? I'm not a fan.
Could Nabokov be left out of SJ?

Or a younger guy like Harding?
The price for Bernier will be too high, and why would LA trade a franchise goalie? It would be dumb.
Schneider? Too unproven to give up much for, too unproven to count on for a playoff run next year.

It's going to be a very interesting couple weeks.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 11:34 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am the Mush
I'll vouch for the fact that there was some anti-Turco sentiment floating around.
Seconded, but it was far from unanimous. Then again, on this board, there would be a group expressing reluctance to tender an offer to Sawchuk in his prime.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 11:47 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
I'll vouch for the fact that there was some anti-Turco sentiment floating around.
Absolutely, cuz I had to address the fallacy of the "he doesn't play well in the playoffs" stuff.

For example, I know I brought it up with GKJ.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 11:03 AM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Seconded, but it was far from unanimous. Then again, on this board, there would be a group expressing reluctance to tender an offer to Sawchuk in his prime.
I have not watched a whole lot of Turco for the past few years so it is hard for me to form an opinion on him, but from what I've seen most WC fans think the guy is completely done.

His puck-handling would be appealing. That's something we've really lacked at that position for a good long time, maybe since Hextall and Snow.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 12:22 PM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

I still don't really want Turco, unless its a cheap 1 year deal. Like a Ray Emery deal, but probably a little more $$

FlyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 12:37 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

I think its funny that some people think Turco would suck when Michael Leighton succeeded behind this defense for most of the season.

06-19-2010, 12:58 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextall89 View Post
I think its funny that some people think Turco would suck when Michael Leighton succeeded behind this defense for most of the season.
haha I keep coming back to this thought too.

When Dallas traded for Lehtonen, and it became clear Turco would hit the market, I did not want him. However, after seeing our team (defense especially) through the rest of the regular season and the playoffs, I'm convinced he'd be a large upgrade.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 01:24 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextall89 View Post
Sure, but just because Michael Leighton caught lightening in a bottle doesn't mean everyone else is going to have the same success or better.

There's a reason why Dallas chose to go with an overweight, injury prone goalie that missed almost entire season instead of Turco.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 01:54 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Sure, but just because Michael Leighton caught lightening in a bottle doesn't mean everyone else is going to have the same success or better.

There's a reason why Dallas chose to go with an overweight, injury prone goalie that missed almost entire season instead of Turco.
...cuz he's younger and over the next few years is a better option potentially?

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 02:10 PM
Amateur Hour

For what conceivable reason would people not want Marty Turco on a 2-3 year deal at a reasonable average salary? He was actually pretty good last season, before the Stars shoved him aside in favor of Lehtonen, and has an excellent track record (not to mention I'm a big fan of his ability to play the puck as well as any goalie in the league). As Jester addressed, the general inclination to peg Turco as a playoff choker is fairly misguided.

As far as stopgaps go, Marty Turco would be a fantastic option for this team.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 02:33 PM
PhillyCurt12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
For what conceivable reason would people not want Marty Turco on a 2-3 year deal at a reasonable average salary? He was actually pretty good last season, before the Stars shoved him aside in favor of Lehtonen, and has an excellent track record (not to mention I'm a big fan of his ability to play the puck as well as any goalie in the league). As Jester addressed, the general inclination to peg Turco as a playoff choker is fairly misguided.

it wouldn't be the end of the world to have turco here for 2-3 years, but there is a very nice looking crop of UFA goalies next year. the flyers would be foolish not to at least look into the possibility of signing bryzgalov or vokoun at that point. if they can't land one of them or even anderson, then you could look to resign turco for another year if bobrovsky isn't ready for the big show (which he probably won't be ready for more than backup duty the 2011/12 season).

PhillyCurt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 02:46 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post

It would be so nice to have him for that, after Biron/Leighton/Boosh, I dunno if I can take much more.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote