HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Plekanec @ 5mill vs Marleau @ 6mill vs Kovalchuk @ 8mill

View Poll Results: Which one?
Plekanec - 5mill 119 33.15%
Marleau - 6mill 130 36.21%
Kovalchuk - 8mill 88 24.51%
None of these players are worth the salaries listed 22 6.13%
Voters: 359. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-19-2010, 03:03 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
No. But that one was investigated too.
I believe it was investigated on the grounds that they suspected an agreement by hossa and chicago was made that he would retire before contract was up. Not sure though.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 03:07 PM
TankEller*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
Really Frolov? You really think we can get passed a physical team in Philly with Frolov? Penner seems like an interesting player, has a big body presences, we need a big body to play with Cammalerri or else in the playoffs the same thing will happen.
Frolov is a consistant player in all three zones and is not backing off physical play, even if it's not his bread and butter.

I'm tired of people judging players whose name finish with "ov" or "ev", saying they're soft and lazy. You don't know **** about Alex Frolov if you actually think he's not a good player. He would greatly improve our team going forward... especially over a lazy bum like AK.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 03:09 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
Frolov is a consistant player in all three zones and is not backing off physical play, even if it's not his bread and butter.

I'm tired of people judging players whose name finish with "ov" or "ev", saying they're soft and lazy. You don't know **** about Alex Frolov if you actually think he's not a good player. He would greatly improve our team going forward... especially over a lazy bum like AK.
I don't consider AK lazy.

Old
06-19-2010, 03:09 PM
Patty Roy

I think Marleau is the obvious answer here...its highly unlikely, but given my choice of the three at those contracts i don't hesitate to take him.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 03:13 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I don't consider AK lazy.
Kostitsyn is a headcase. No matter if he's lazy or not, those two have given more thanenough headaches to the organization in the last few years to get traded. They're dumb as hell, and certainly not productive enough to make up for their lack of effort/concentration/physical shape.

The stories on both of them in this year's playoffs just is too much. You'd be crazy to sacrifice a chance of improving your team, just to keep those two bums.

Old
06-19-2010, 03:30 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Kostitsyn is a headcase. No matter if he's lazy or not, those two have given more thanenough headaches to the organization in the last few years to get traded. They're dumb as hell, and certainly not productive enough to make up for their lack of effort/concentration/physical shape.

The stories on both of them in this year's playoffs just is too much. You'd be crazy to sacrifice a chance of improving your team, just to keep those two bums.
I think it's just AK's style of game. He hits as much as latendresse and other guys we so desperately want back(i don't). Hitting doesn't come from a lazy player. Frolov is a better player, but Ak is half the price for a 10 goal difference.

Old
06-19-2010, 03:31 PM
Chfan
HFBoards Sponsor

I'd keep Plekanec. Or Marleau if we can't sign Pleks. Can't picture Kovalchuk being good here.

Chfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 03:31 PM
Russian Warrior
SWAG

Eller - Kovalchuk

Russian Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 03:33 PM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoyCoy View Post
I'd go with Marleau, I think he compliments our team better than Kovalchuk.

Cammy-Gomez-Gionta
Marleau-Eller-AKost
We'd be killed with that top 6. The first line is small and on the second line, Eller has no experience in the playoffs and AK downright sucks. Give me

Pouliot - Gomez - Gionta
Cammalleri - Plekanec - Horton
Pacioretty - Eller - Pyatt

as our top 3 lines. Marleau doesn't really do it for me at his age. I wouldn't offer him more than Cammy's deal but for 4 years.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 03:36 PM
Theosis
11, 27, 31, 67, 76 ♥

I'd go with Marleau if it was at 6mil, but I'm thinking he'll get more, so I'd try and keep Pleks at 5mil or hopefully less.

As much as I would LOVE Kovalchuk, there's just no way we can take on his salary and then be missing a Center as well. Plus I'm sure we'd have to give him more than 8mil. In my opinion he's mostly in it for the money and with the taxes over here, I don't see him taking 8mil from us.

Theosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 03:44 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I think it's just AK's style of game. He hits as much as latendresse and other guys we so desperately want back(i don't). Hitting doesn't come from a lazy player. Frolov is a better player, but Ak is half the price for a 10 goal difference.
No matter if we get a more talented player or not: Kostitsyn's totals have kept decreasing year in and year out. He's a bum, and he ALWAYS come into the training camp out of shape, which is why he's basically playig at the level of a fringe player for 2 months off the start.

His style just doesn't fit Martin's system, he's probably the dumbest Canadiens player to ever wear the jersey.

Oh and for your information, I don't want Latendresse back. He's a prima-donna piece of crap with who you don't win anything. You're in deep trouble if you count on guys like Andrei and Lats to produce offensively on a consistant basis.

It's also a matter of off-ice issues.

Old
06-19-2010, 03:45 PM
Ubercron9000

WOW I'm shocked at some of these comments. Kovalchuk is hands down the best player out of those 3. At 8 mil he is a bargain compared to guys like Ovy and Sid making over 8.7.

If I was PG I would do everything in my power to sign Kovalchuk. I hear dumb arguements about playoff performance. Get out of your little hab bubbles and watch games. If you watch Kovalchuk play you would know this guy is legite. Our power play would be sick. We would add 40 goals extra in the regular season barring injuries.

Get rid of Hamrlik and the kostitsyns and get another young guy that can step up ala lars eller. We can't miss an oppertunity to sign a guy like Kovalchuk. I'm sure all the jersey's he'd sell in montreal and marketing on advertising he'd make would make him richer in montreal. Obviously front load his contract do what ever is possible to sign this guy.

With some of the comments I hear from some of you it makes me wonder if our fanbase is knowlegdable about hockey.

Ubercron9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 03:49 PM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubercron9000 View Post
WOW I'm shocked at some of these comments. Kovalchuk is hands down the best player out of those 3. At 8 mil he is a bargain compared to guys like Ovy and Sid making over 8.7.

If I was PG I would do everything in my power to sign Kovalchuk. I hear dumb arguements about playoff performance. Get out of your little hab bubbles and watch games. If you watch Kovalchuk play you would know this guy is legite. Our power play would be sick. We would add 40 goals extra in the regular season barring injuries.

Get rid of Hamrlik and the kostitsyns and get another young guy that can step up ala lars eller. We can't miss an oppertunity to sign a guy like Kovalchuk. I'm sure all the jersey's he'd sell in montreal and marketing on advertising he'd make would make him richer in montreal. Obviously front load his contract do what ever is possible to sign this guy.

With some of the comments I hear from some of you it makes me wonder if our fanbase is knowlegdable about hockey.
Kovalchuk has been a big game player since he beat Canada in overtime years ago. The issue for me is the salary. We can't commit that much money to one player. We need our top two lines to be under $30m.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 03:51 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubercron9000 View Post

Ovechkin and Crosby make over 8.7 because they are substantially better players than Kovalcuk.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 03:53 PM
JayBee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Kovalchuk has been a big game player since he beat Canada in overtime years ago. The issue for me is the salary. We can't commit that much money to one player. We need our top two lines to be under $30m.
Says who? Where has that gotten the habs? Pay to play... they should make a pitch for Kovalchuk....worry about the salary cap issues later.

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 03:58 PM
D3nZ

I would go for a canadian player before any country. Marleau.

D3nZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 04:11 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3nZ View Post
I would go for a canadian player before any country. Marleau.
Pierre Dajenais over Ilya kovalchuk?

Old
06-19-2010, 04:11 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:

EH? ok... All I know is LA benched him for not giving a 100% every game, so his work ethic is put into question, but not because of how his name ends.

CrAzYNiNe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 04:18 PM
Ubercron9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Thats in an ideal world. We sign Kovy and hope for the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Ovechkin and Crosby make over 8.7 because they are substantially better players than Kovalcuk.
WOW they aren't that much better. Kovy is a Gem. Making 1 mill or 700k less is very good imo. I have a feeling you don't watch him play other than clips. This is why our fanbase is frowned upon...

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=77329 malkin

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=56745 Kovy The guy scores goals. we need that on our team. Saying crosby and ovy are substantially better or exagerating. I look more for goal scoring and he posts much better than malkin and crosby. Plus he was playing in atlanta for the majority of his career playing solo. Where Crosby has Malkin to back him up.

Last edited by Ubercron9000: 06-19-2010 at 04:23 PM.
Ubercron9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 04:22 PM
Max Levine

Of course Kovalchuk is the better player there but that's why it's $2M-$3M more. An average of 46 goals and 87 points in the last five years surely deserves it.

One thing's sure, I wouldn't have a problem with Eller centering the 2nd line if he is surrounded by top experienced players.

If PG could find a way to trade Hammer and AK for picks, I'd love Eller between Kovalchuk and Cammalleri.

Max Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 04:22 PM
Lemons

Top 6

Gio-Gomez-Pouilot
Penner-Marleau-Cammy

*DROOL*

Lemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 04:23 PM
Lemons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Incorrect.

Lemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 04:58 PM
schumway2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
Top 6

Gio-Gomez-Pouilot
Penner-Marleau-Cammy

*DROOL*
One of these things does not belong.

schumway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 05:08 PM
Vanek20
Drive for 25

Kovalchuk at 6M (90M over 15 years)

10 10 10 8 8 8 8 6 5,5 5 5 3 2 0,75 0,75

So its obviously 83,5M over 11 years for him and we add 4 years till he is 42yrs old to help on the cap.

And he knows that he will treat it like God (dieu du stade) ..if you know what I mean

Vanek20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 05:15 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
Kovalchuk won't come in on a non-contender team @8 million cap hit. It'll be more like @10 million cap hit. If we really want to contend for anything, let alone the playoffs, we better re-sign Plekanec.
Did we just make it to the ECF? Oh wait, yes.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote