HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ben Maxwell

Old
06-19-2010, 01:50 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Maxwell will likely be a depth player for Habs this upcoming season or he could be in the AHL. He won't have a major scoring role. Keep an eye on the Plekanec situation.
I think I'll lose it if Maxwell is a regular next season. He got lucky that the stupid rule about callups when you AHL team is still playing kept him in the NHL as long as it did. He is a good AHLer though, would welcome him back on the dogs for sure, which is where I expect him to be next year hopefully.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 01:52 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I think I'll lose it if Maxwell is a regular next season. He got lucky that the stupid rule about callups when you AHL team is still playing kept him in the NHL as long as it did. He is a good AHLer though, would welcome him back on the dogs for sure, which is where I expect him to be next year hopefully.
Given up on the guy? What do you consider his greatest flaws in his game, and do you think he can ever overcome them?

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 01:55 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
Given up on the guy? What do you consider his greatest flaws in his game, and do you think he can ever overcome them?
I'm not montreal, he's the expert, but IMO, lack of aggression is killing this guy. He needs to be more involved in the play.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 01:59 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
I was never a big fan of his. I liked White more despite him being picked later, although Maxwell had a much much better rookie year in Hamilton then White, who struggled, which goes to show you can never give up on these kids. I wouldn't say I'm giving up on Maxwell, he's clearly a skilled player (just hasn't show it in the NHL) but I don't like the way he plays, he's more like Milroy in that he stays on the outside too much and doesn't get his nose dirty enough, which is what you have to do to score at the NHL level (unless you have crazy talent of course)

Maxwell is a skilled, smart, two way player so there's hope he can be a decent NHLer but he's got to get stronger and if he doesn't find a way to get more involved physically I don't think he will make it imo. I don't know if he can overcome his passive play, I wouldn't bet on him doing it though but we'll see in time.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 02:04 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
When you say think of another player, you are comparing them by making similarities. Not that I'm an English teach or anything.

Watching clips still means nothing to me, a players plays 10-20 mins a game, not just a 1-2 min clip you see. I want to watch Eller play with his new teammates before I can pass judgment on his style of play.
You're just assuming I said so which isn't. I started with particular style to draw a picture, not just say they're similar otherwise I would have said they are in plain words. Let me do this without using any point of reference. I'd say soft two-way centre with some defensive adjustments to make. Doesn't drive for the puck as if he lacked confidence in his abilities. (That's Maxwell)

You can cross reference this with reports on Eller and see. And yes it's pretty damn difficult to see what Eller can do better than Maxwell watching a bunch of highlights I agree, specially on defense. There's some sequences though that you can relate and you would be justified in using him as a point of reference since I think both these players will be competing for the same 4th line centre spot, unless there's more changes (like Plekanec walking, kost bros traded, etc...)

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 02:04 PM
JayBee*

has not shown me a slight glimmer of being a capable player. I saw it from Dagostini, Pac, Dshernais, etc. This guy is really not good. Probably needs a change of scenery.

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 02:08 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I was never a big fan of his. I liked White more despite him being picked later, although Maxwell had a much much better rookie year in Hamilton then White, who struggled, which goes to show you can never give up on these kids. I wouldn't say I'm giving up on Maxwell, he's clearly a skilled player (just hasn't show it in the NHL) but I don't like the way he plays, he's more like Milroy in that he stays on the outside too much and doesn't get his nose dirty enough, which is what you have to do to score at the NHL level (unless you have crazy talent of course)

Maxwell is a skilled, smart, two way player so there's hope he can be a decent NHLer but he's got to get stronger and if he doesn't find a way to get more involved physically I don't think he will make it imo. I don't know if he can overcome his passive play, I wouldn't bet on him doing it though but we'll see in time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I'm not montreal, he's the expert, but IMO, lack of aggression is killing this guy. He needs to be more involved in the play.
Thanks for your opinion guys. I pretty much had the same view on him as you both do. Like you said Dan, he just doesn't play NHL hockey, he wants to score, but is scared to get into the dirty areas where he chances to score increase. Hopefully he finds his game, or he will learn the way of the bus for his career.

Old
06-19-2010, 02:10 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
You're just assuming I said so which isn't. I started with particular style to draw a picture, not just say they're similar otherwise I would have said they are in plain words. Let me do this without using any point of reference. I'd say soft two-way centre with some defensive adjustments to make. Doesn't drive for the puck as if he lacked confidence in his abilities. (That's Maxwell)

You can cross reference this with reports on Eller and see. And yes it's pretty damn difficult to see what Eller can do better than Maxwell watching a bunch of highlights I agree, specially on defense. There's some sequences though that you can relate and you would be justified in using him as a point of reference since I think both these players will be competing for the same 4th line centre spot, unless there's more changes (like Plekanec walking, kost bros traded, etc...)
Drawing a picture using someone else, that's a similarity

I just hope Maxwell can find what makes him a hockey player, and then use it at the NHL level.

Old
06-19-2010, 02:14 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
Drawing a picture using someone else, that's a similarity

I just hope Maxwell can find what makes him a hockey player, and then use it at the NHL level.
There are similarities but those stop at a threshold where you can say they're not that similar

I mean all hockey players share the similarity of being able to skate no? Doesn't mean they are similar players.

Old
06-19-2010, 02:18 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
There are similarities but those stop at a threshold where you can say they're not that similar

I mean all hockey players share the similarity of being able to skate no? Doesn't mean they are similar players.
Exactly. So you admit that you make a similarity about two players who share nothing in common. That's why I was giving you a hard time, you painted a picture using the wrong player to paint said picture

Old
06-19-2010, 02:29 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
Exactly. So you admit that you make a similarity about two players who share nothing in common. That's why I was giving you a hard time, you painted a picture using the wrong player to paint said picture
Nope, you didn't understand.

I never said they were similar players, just that they share the same mold.

I could have picked another two-way centre with play-making skills, but since Eller & Maxwell were going to compete for the same spot it made more sense.

Old
06-19-2010, 03:55 PM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukimono View Post
Another Timmins gem
Another posting gem.

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 04:08 PM
Ubercron9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosss View Post
he looks like a lil kid afraid...when hes on the canadiens
I feel pitty for him :/
I noticed that the most. The guy seems scared out there. Not sure what to do. He needs to bulk up and get stronger. I still think he can be a decent player if he can get over himself and play with confidence.

Do the habs offer prospects with personal trainers? Make sure those trainers could offer the kids some juice.

Ubercron9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 04:14 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubercron9000 View Post
I noticed that the most. The guy seems scared out there. Not sure what to do. He needs to bulk up and get stronger. I still think he can be a decent player if he can get over himself and play with confidence.

Do the habs offer prospects with personal trainers? Make sure those trainers could offer the kids some juice.
I'd be afraid if i was that scrawny. He needs to add some muscle. He'll never be a powerforward, but the extra muscle would help him win battles and hopefully gain confidence. I still say he's corey locke v2.0

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 04:25 PM
Ubercron9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I'd be afraid if i was that scrawny. He needs to add some muscle. He'll never be a powerforward, but the extra muscle would help him win battles and hopefully gain confidence. I still say he's corey locke v2.0
True. But Locke wasn't defensively responsible. I don't understand these guys sometimes. They are on the brink of making the NHL and they won't touch the juice. Mind boggling!

Ubercron9000 is offline   Reply With Quote