HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Jason Arnott to Devils for Matt Halischuk and a 2011 2nd

Old
06-19-2010, 02:59 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Great now HF is speculating a Nashville getting Vinny LeCavlier....

Unless the ownership were willing to spend they couldn't get him.

I still say Nashville-Chicago trade is coming.
I would love to have Vinny. Love the player, love the game. I have always said that if Nashville wants to have a forward like him, they CAN fit him in......It just takes a lot of creativity. Dumont would have to be canned for starters. In the future, we would have to look hard at moving Erat or Legwand as well (when the Weber/Suter situation rears its head).

06-19-2010, 03:02 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Or ownership makes a commitment to spend more money.....

It would be a cataclysm of epic proportions. Also, you would have the #1 pick playing with the #2 pick.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 03:02 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
God I love Halischuk. Great prospect imo.

God two-way player who's a PK ace and gritty. Good skater too. While he won't pot 20g, he'll put in 10-15g while helping shut down other teams lines down.

Wanted the Oilers to get him.

Love this deal for the Preds! Not only that, but the cap space!
Yessir I couldnt be more happier....until i know where that space is going.....

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 03:05 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

I don't think there is room on this team for both Franson and Grebeshkov. Anyone agree?

They both seem pretty 1-dimensional.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 03:06 PM
Que Sera Sera

Send a message via MSN to Que Sera Sera
Thank god, thank god, thank god. Way to be, Poile! Halischuk is a great prospect, can't wait to see him in a Preds jersey.

Que Sera Sera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 03:08 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

ill tell you right now i would keep franson over grebby .....franson looks a lot like weber in his early years......big and clumsy....but watch as franson develops and tell me otherwise no matter what team he is on....

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 03:19 PM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

vCash: 162
I was one of the first posters on the old board who thought Arnott would be a good fit for Nashville when he was a UFA. His signing here confirmed the legitimacy of Nashville as a landing spot for top tier UFA's, proving that Kariya wasnt just a fluke.

But as big a fan of his as I am, as long as poile doesnt just replace him with Wilson, I think this was a good move. thank you for your service, Jason, stay healthy and move back here when you retire..

But for those thinking this clears money for Grebs, I think there is no way. Parents acquisition gives us 6 dmen already.

I think poile has to have his sights set on a top tier player, and will probably be prepared to move our first and a top d-man prospect(Blum would be my guess)

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 03:23 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I was one of the first posters on the old board who thought Arnott would be a good fit for Nashville when he was a UFA. His signing here confirmed the legitimacy of Nashville as a landing spot for top tier UFA's, proving that Kariya wasnt just a fluke.

But as big a fan of his as I am, as long as poile doesnt just replace him with Wilson, I think this was a good move. thank you for your service, Jason, stay healthy and move back here when you retire..

But for those thinking this clears money for Grebs, I think there is no way. Parents acquisition gives us 6 dmen already.

I think poile has to have his sights set on a top tier player, and will probably be prepared to move our first and a top d-man prospect(Blum would be my guess)
Or keeps the first and Blum and goes out and signs a free agent that he's enamored with.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 03:25 PM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Or keeps the first and Blum and goes out and signs a free agent that he's enamored with.
dont think so. he's want to have a definite plan in place before moving arny, I think. Plus, the UFA market is too unpredictable on price, but with a trade he already will know the salary

Old
06-19-2010, 03:30 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
dont think so. he's want to have a definite plan in place before moving arny, I think. Plus, the UFA market is too unpredictable on price, but with a trade he already will know the salary
Very true. I think it was funny what you said about the NTC's or NMC's in one of your posts.

Steven Weiss maybe? Decent cap hit, salary is a little over what the cap hit is over the next 3 years but still doable, much younger than Arnott and will put up 60 points.

Old
06-19-2010, 03:33 PM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Very true. I think it was funny what you said about the NTC's or NMC's in one of your posts.

Steven Weiss maybe? Decent cap hit, salary is a little over what the cap hit is over the next 3 years but still doable, much younger than Arnott and will put up 60 points.
I gotta admit I am shocked about arny. I thought he'd retire here. Would be interesting to know if he asked for the trade or if Poile asked him to accept it.

Still think dumont could be going, too.

Old
06-19-2010, 03:34 PM
braindead

I agree he likely has another trade lined up. I don't think he risks the points that he gives up with Arnott unless something else is in place. I don't think that it's a center since we can go with what we have and use the cap space to upgrade at wing.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 03:36 PM
codeyh
HFB Partner

Send a message via AIM to codeyh
Official Release

NASHVILLE PREDATORS TRADE CAPTAIN JASON ARNOTT TO NEW JERSEY

- Predators acquire prospect Matt Halischuk, a 2011 second-round pick -

Nashville, Tenn. (June 19, 2010) – Nashville Predators President of Hockey Operations/General Manager David Poile announced today that the club has sent captain Jason Arnott to the New Jersey Devils in exchange for forward Matt Halischuk and New Jersey’s second-round selection in the 2011 Entry Draft.

Halischuk, 22 (6/1/88), split the 2009-10 season between New Jersey and Albany (AHL), posting a pair of points (1g-1a) in 20 NHL games and 22 points (11g-11a) in 32 AHL contests. In his rookie professional season of 2008-09 the Toronto, Ont., native amassed 29 points (14g-15a) in 47 games for Lowell, and also made his NHL debut with the Devils, notching one assist.

A 5-11, 172-pound right wing, Halischuk scored the game-winning goal at 3:36 of overtime in the Gold Medal Game of the 2008 World Junior Championships, lifting Canada past Sweden, 3-2. He is also a former OHL Champion and Memorial Cup participant – he paced the OHL in goals during the 2008 postseason, and ranked fourth in points (20gp, 16g-16a), playing on a line with now-Predator forward Nick Spaling.

The additional second-round pick gives Nashville multiple second rounders for the second time in three drafts. The Predators selected Zach Budish and Charles-Olivier Roussel with back-to-back picks (41st and 42nd overall) in last summer’s Entry Draft.

codeyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 03:42 PM
Legionnaire11

Arnott's production was off last season, and the chances of him rebounding were very slim. I definitely think the timing was right on this one, too much risk with Arnott for the money at this point. A decent prospect and a 2nd round pick is good return IMO.

It's also time for a new captain, trading Arnott makes it an easier transition.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 03:50 PM
lightning_legwand*

I am living in kitchener currently. BIG kitchener rangers fan!

I remember a few years ago watching Spaling and Halischuk play on the top line and it was amazing!! Boy, is Nick Spaling ever going to be happy to be re united with Matt!!

lightning_legwand* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 03:54 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning_legwand View Post
I am living in kitchener currently. BIG kitchener rangers fan!

I remember a few years ago watching Spaling and Halischuk play on the top line and it was amazing!! Boy, is Nick Spaling ever going to be happy to be re united with Matt!!
Interesting. Thanks for the info on that one.

Old
06-19-2010, 04:07 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
I bet Poile has something cooking, very exciting. AAAGGGHHH!!! I can't wait for next season.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 04:12 PM
dulzhok

Poile is coming out swinging with our overpaid guys.

Outside of this year, Arnott was the most consistent goal scorer we've ever had. 2 years ago, he was scoring at a 40g pace. Even this year, 19g in 63 games isn't horrible.

Arnott just looked lost this year. Is it age, will, or multiple concussions?

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 04:28 PM
dulzhok

This may have a cost though. Arnott is one of two big free agent signings in our history. It never looks good to potential FAs when you force a trade with one of your only free agent signings.

Still maybe worth it, though.

Old
06-19-2010, 04:34 PM
fielding

I liked Arnott, but I'm glad the move was made. If we waited until the trade deadline, I'm not sure we would have got the same return or we would have probably held onto him like we did with Ellis and Hamhuis.

fielding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 04:36 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
This may have a cost though. Arnott is one of two big free agent signings in our history. It never looks good to potential FAs when you force a trade with one of your only free agent signings.

Still maybe worth it, though.
I think it is different in Arnott's case though. We gave him a NMC, and I think he clearly utilized it. He was a former Devil with one of their more memorable lines (Elias - Arnott - Sykora) and moments (Game 7 SCF)...... Plus, he was here for four years and a captain. I don't think this hurts our reputation in any way. Poile always tries to do the right thing by players. The one exception seeming to be Tomas Vokoun, and this has a huge asterik by it due to the whole team-being-sold fiasco.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 04:38 PM
lightning_legwand*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
I bet Poile has something cooking, very exciting. AAAGGGHHH!!! I can't wait for next season.
just dont get to excited. we have been in this situation before and were let down. i think your right about something cooking, but it may not be as big as we hope for.

So can we trade Dumont as well?? lol

Also,
Weird how if we had that Arnott trade in place and still dealt Hamhuis, we could have re signed him with Arny gone. So with the pair both gone and possibly more,

Marleau??

But again, I am not getting to excited./

lightning_legwand* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 04:42 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning_legwand View Post
just dont get to excited. we have been in this situation before and were let down. i think your right about something cooking, but it may not be as big as we hope for.
Yeah, I know, but we don't get this much Predator news every June. The finals just got over and I'm already jonsing for some action.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 04:43 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I think it is different in Arnott's case though. We gave him a NMC, and I think he clearly utilized it. He was a former Devil with one of their more memorable lines (Elias - Arnott - Sykora) and moments (Game 7 SCF)...... Plus, he was here for four years and a captain. I don't think this hurts our reputation in any way. Poile always tries to do the right thing by players. The one exception seeming to be Tomas Vokoun, and this has a huge asterik by it due to the whole team-being-sold fiasco.
It may or may not have an impact. Hard to know what's going through the heads of FA. I guess Poile will await their call to see what they're thinking

"Poile always tries to do the right thing by players."
I usually would agree with this. However, I was surprised by the comments about Dumont, saying he was only going to get a limited amount of icetime next year. Essentially saying he can't even play himself into a bigger role. It really seems like he's trying to force him out.

Old
06-19-2010, 04:52 PM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
"Poile always tries to do the right thing by players."
I usually would agree with this. However, I was surprised by the comments about Dumont, saying he was only going to get a limited amount of icetime next year. Essentially saying he can't even play himself into a bigger role. It really seems like he's trying to force him out.

Wasn't it Trotz who said that?

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote