HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Poile's cleaning out the closet.....Now what?

Old
06-19-2010, 04:33 PM
Byrddog

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by predsicle420 View Post
I dont think you remember back in the year 2000 do you? It was the Stanley cup finals and The devils were up against the stars. And Jason Arnott in OT scores the Cup Winning goal for the devils! now he is back on the devils and i bet no one up there is complaining about him he might have been a bit slow sometimes but ive had season tickets by the glass for years now and have watched him at his best and worst and i give the guy the utmost respect because in the end hes done some incredible things for this franchise......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5_A0E6On8s

still makes me cringe

not to mention Arnott holds the Predators franchise record for most goals scored in a season.
Arnott made a career on that cup winning goal. He stood in the shadow of Mo in Dallas and the Preds gave him more than a good chance to be a 1st line center. He is not that and his soft play as a big player forced the move. How often is a guy that wears the C moved. Now if it Stevie Y wearing the C and being moved that would be a shocker but Arnott while a decent player, he did not do what was required of him here. This is just one move this team needs to make, Leggy and Erat both need to be moved as well but finding someone to take them will be the hard part. Both are over paid for what is required for them to do to make the Preds a contender to move past the 1st round of the playoffs. We can look at people taken before them in the draft and debate sections of time where they excelled. Bottom line is they have not preformedto there salary level to push this team forward.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 04:38 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
I was going to get dinner and abandon you guys and then I remembered that my town has an internet bar.

Mmmmmm......Moderating, philly cheesesteaks (natch) and liquor.

What else could a moderator need?
I can think of a few things

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 04:40 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
Arnott made a career on that cup winning goal. He stood in the shadow of Mo in Dallas and the Preds gave him more than a good chance to be a 1st line center. He is not that and his soft play as a big player forced the move. How often is a guy that wears the C moved. Now if it Stevie Y wearing the C and being moved that would be a shocker but Arnott while a decent player, he did not do what was required of him here. This is just one move this team needs to make, Leggy and Erat both need to be moved as well but finding someone to take them will be the hard part. Both are over paid for what is required for them to do to make the Preds a contender to move past the 1st round of the playoffs. We can look at people taken before them in the draft and debate sections of time where they excelled. Bottom line is they have not preformedto there salary level to push this team forward.
If you watched the Preds you would realize how important those players are to our team. Especially Leggy.

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 04:45 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

What's next is the situation with the RFA's

Grebs at 3.1 last year. Is he worth it? Nope, I believe he's the next one on a plane.

Hornqvist: Should jump to between 1.5-2.5 million

Boyd: was at .7 million should jump to .75 million

Franson: was .7 million could jump up to 1 million

Parent: was .9 million could jump up to 1 million

I say 5.25 million. That puts the Preds at 43,141,667 with 21 players on the team and a need at back up goal.

I personally think the Preds self-cap will go up to 47 mil. with revenue sharing. So in my mind there is 3 million left to spend unless there is a trade with Dumont which makes that a 7 million dollar player.

What 3 million dollar player, or 7 million dollar player is out there you'd like to see with the Preds.

Like I said, this screams Chicago with Buff's 3 million dollar salary. OR the more insane deal: Sharp and Buff for Dumont, O'Reilly, Sulzer, and the 1st. Nashville get's quality, Chicago gets quantity it needs to buffer the salary cap.

Absolute doom and gloom would be if the Preds do nothing but sign RFAs and they go with a salary floor team. 58.8 - 16 is 42.8 and the team would be JUST over 43. That's if doom and gloom were to rule the day......

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 04:45 PM
Sean Avery*

It's amazing the amount of moves St. Louis and Nashville are doing to in the end get better. Nashville was a contender this year (GREAT SERIES BTW) and if they get better that's just problems for Chicago. St. Louis has already gotten better and will likely make a run to get one of the premiere forwards available on July 1st which is scary in itself.

I see CBJ appears content with sucking and Detroit is just regressing due to old age (will never just go away, unfortunately).

2 years from now it could be a slugfest for top spot in the division between St. Louis/Nashville/Chicago... that could be fun!

Sean Avery* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 04:52 PM
________

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
Think the Preds might be interested in Mike Ribeiro?

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 05:04 PM
Byrddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinWilson33 View Post
If you watched the Preds you would realize how important those players are to our team. Especially Leggy.

That is laughable. I have missed watching few games since 98 to include holding season tickets for years and making trips to away games. Currently I support this team win or lose in HD EVERY game at my resturant. The problem I have is that the team pays these two 1/5 of the teams salary and inparticuler Leggy HAS NOT earned that money. If I recall both make about 4 to 4.5 mil a year this requires a player to perform above 20 goals a year. This team has had 3 guys score 30 goals and Leggy and Erat are compensated at that level. Why should everyone not expect that preformance. I fully understand that the team has limited dollars to spend, howver what is done on the ice after a rookie contract is what should be rewarded not potential. Hornqvist had 30 last year should be be offered 4 mil right now to lock him up. Well I really like the kid but he has to repeat this to get the payday. Look back at Mason, Ellis and many others that had a hot spot and were paid too much. This is not just a problem for this team but everywhere in sports. Look at Haynesworth this idiot may be done after cashing a huge check he dosn't like the scheme so he holds out and demands a trade. But I guess his performance last year was woth 31 mil.

Old
06-19-2010, 05:11 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

Potential for NSH is endless right now.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 05:18 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Arnott was the easiest of our big contracts to move, because it's only a one year risk.

Dumont will be harder. Also, he seems less willing to wavie his NTC, despite Poile/Trotz's efforts to degrade him publicly.

I'm not expecting much in terms of bringing in new players. I think this was a move to put us back as the lowest payroll team in the league.
damn, nothing makes you happy does it?

first you piss and moan about poile being passive, then when he gets aggressive, you piss and moan...

Last edited by Seth Lake: 06-19-2010 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Flaming
PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 05:34 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
damn, nothing makes you happy does it?

first you piss and moan about poile being passive, then when he gets aggressive, you piss and moan...
Dumping players/salary is more aggressive than usual Poile. But no, nothing we got back in return excites me. Sorry dude. If we turn around get a suituable scoring line player, give me a call.

Last edited by Seth Lake: 06-19-2010 at 07:29 PM. Reason: edited out part of quote
dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 05:37 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I was going to post something similar, Doc. It goes from "Poile is too passive. We're stuck with what we have" to "Oh here we go. Basement dweller team" as soon as a potentially great move is made.

As I stated on npboards, I've been a Preds fan since before they even had a team name so I've learned to be a bit pessimistic when the off-season rolls around. With that said, it looks like Poile is positioning the club to make some moves that will take the team in a new direction. Let's face it, we are at a crossroads here. We all knew it, but most of us thought it would be nearly impossible to move the NTC/NMC guys. Personally, I'm hoping this is the season the owners open up the pocket book a little. Not enough to sink the team, but enough to give Trotz more to work with. In the event that happens I also would like Trotz and co. to be given an ultimatum. Show something with a more talented and well-rounded team, or move on.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 05:41 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Dumping players/salary is more aggressive than usual Poile. But no, nothing we got back in return excites me. Sorry dude. If we turn around get a suituable scoring line player, give me a call.
Dumping salary on a team that isn't even near the cap is often times a move to set up a deal involving another team. I don't know what you honestly could have expected to get from an aging Arnott who will probably take second line duties on NJ. We weren't going to get Parise, and Halischuk has the potential to be a pretty good two-way player who can play the PK. Last season indicated we missed guys like Fiddler and Nichol on the PK, and Smithers is going to need some help. I agree that now we need to make a move to land a top six player, but if you expect everything to happen in one day then you're going to be disappointed a lot in life.

Old
06-19-2010, 05:44 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

http://predators.nhl.tv/team/console...d=737&id=72613

Wilson will shift to 1st line center. No further changes to the roster. Looks like the future is in Milwaukee.

Now, Dulz has some merit.

Old
06-19-2010, 05:53 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

We all knew that Wilson was going to eventually take over top line duties, but we still have room to add a player in the top six. It just isn't going to be a center.

edit: or maybe Poile has been jealous of Chicago/Pittsburgh/Washington and wants some top draft picks

Old
06-19-2010, 06:03 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

You know, I didn't think about it until just now but isn't Weber able to be extended when July rolls around? If so this could be a move for that reason.

Old
06-19-2010, 06:06 PM
JR303

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Then have Wilson/Hornqvist/Erat as our other top line?
Oops, was trying to figure on the wings, and forgot Hornqvist. I would put up a smilie facepalm, but I don't use those things.

Actually, since you posted, I have decided I wouldn't mind

Legwand/Hornq/Dumont (gotta convice Legwand and Dumont to shoot, though)

Wilson/Sullivan/Erat

If Wilson proves he can play big minutes up here, I have no problems switching the centers on those lines as needed.

Let the rest shut down and bang, make the other teams play defense and give the top 2 lines a green light.

I know this won't happen, and in all actuality, probably shouldn't, but it would be entertaining.

JR303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 06:07 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

As long as Smithson is back to 4th line and PK duties

Old
06-19-2010, 06:09 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR303 View Post
Oops, was trying to figure on the wings, and forgot Hornqvist. I would put up a smilie facepalm, but I don't use those things.

Actually, since you posted, I have decided I wouldn't mind

Legwand/Hornq/Dumont (gotta convice Legwand and Dumont to shoot, though)

Wilson/Sullivan/Erat

If Wilson proves he can play big minutes up here, I have no problems switching the centers on those lines as needed.

Let the rest shut down and bang, make the other teams play defense and give the top 2 lines a green light.

I know this won't happen, and in all actuality, probably shouldn't, but it would be entertaining.
Leggy and Wilson will be centers, Sully and Hornqvist wingers.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 06:21 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
That is laughable. I have missed watching few games since 98 to include holding season tickets for years and making trips to away games. Currently I support this team win or lose in HD EVERY game at my resturant. The problem I have is that the team pays these two 1/5 of the teams salary and inparticuler Leggy HAS NOT earned that money. If I recall both make about 4 to 4.5 mil a year this requires a player to perform above 20 goals a year. This team has had 3 guys score 30 goals and Leggy and Erat are compensated at that level. Why should everyone not expect that preformance. I fully understand that the team has limited dollars to spend, howver what is done on the ice after a rookie contract is what should be rewarded not potential. Hornqvist had 30 last year should be be offered 4 mil right now to lock him up. Well I really like the kid but he has to repeat this to get the payday. Look back at Mason, Ellis and many others that had a hot spot and were paid too much. This is not just a problem for this team but everywhere in sports. Look at Haynesworth this idiot may be done after cashing a huge check he dosn't like the scheme so he holds out and demands a trade. But I guess his performance last year was woth 31 mil.
ok....i hope you watched the playoffs cuz i was right front and center for the home games (literally glass seats and yes i watch away games also) and your saying leggy didnt earn the money? maybe not in the regular season but who gives a dammnn about the reg season unless you dont make the playoffs.... Cups are won in the playoffs and guess who our best player was in the playoffs? LEGWAND!! im sorry but ill keep Leggy till he retires a Pred and #11 is up in the rafters

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 06:32 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
http://predators.nhl.tv/team/console...d=737&id=72613

Wilson will shift to 1st line center. No further changes to the roster. Looks like the future is in Milwaukee.

Now, Dulz has some merit.
doesnt mean nothing will happen.

Poile isnt going to tip his hand, because it makes him weaker when dealing.

His last comment about looking at a forward after July 1 is more telling.

I can just imagine when he does make the deal he'll say "well we were going to stand pat but this offer was just too good to pass up" or somesuch..

Old
06-19-2010, 06:33 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
You know, I didn't think about it until just now but isn't Weber able to be extended when July rolls around? If so this could be a move for that reason.
yes but the money wont be paid till next year anyway so we can still use some of it for a player this year.

Old
06-19-2010, 06:36 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
yes but the money wont be paid till next year anyway so we can still use some of it for a player this year.
Yeah sometimes I only think for a few seconds. Now there's no excuse.

Old
06-19-2010, 06:41 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Im not saying this move is a shocker by any means here, dont see how you got that from my post. I'm simply saying everyone acts like he was cancer to this team and thats complete BS. yea he may have gotten skated past, checked, purely beaten, but thats hockey.....i cant see how hardly anyone gives him the respect on here for his work he did put in, he was far from garbage....any devils fan praises him, not just for that cup goal but because he is a don.... sorry he aged like a human. dont compare yzerman to arnie. and i dont think you realized this but we were the only team to really test chicago and give them a scare so if we add the right pieces this year im expecting a decent playoff run with leggy and erat on the team doin numbers and you should too if your a preds fan...but hey its aight

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 07:13 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Situation analysis, status quo

My laptop has a AMD processor. One of he big advantages of it is that if it over heats, say while you are in the car camping by a wifi spot, it will shut off to protect the laptop and the processor. It also gives me a hint, maybe I should go for a drive and think about things. So I did while I left the Poile video to digest and thought about where we were and what just happened.

The situation before the rockets red glare coming from Poile's Fort McHenry was Nashville needed to dump a disappointing highly paid forward. We ALL assumed that it would be Dumont because of his loss of top 6 status and his disappointing numbers. We also thought that Arnott's braincase would prevent him from being traded. Shocker of shockers, Poile played on NJ sentamentality and got Arnott sent to NJ for their #9 prospect and a 2nd in the '11 draft (which would be a, what, a 4th in this year's draft?) Huge, not only did Poile trade the one player who I wanted gone but also he traded a player who was making 500K more than Dumont. Now think about this. Dumont was disappointing because he was shuffled to the 3rd line. Arnott as disappointing because of his attitude and injuries. Dumont said he would do what's best for the team even when he was told he was going to get 3rd line minutes. And well, Arnott, yeah. Dumont passed Trotz's test and I would not be surprised to see Dumont with a well deserved C.

With the Arnott trade, the Preds clear salary which will pay for all the RFAs and will leave quite a big buffer. With the supposed numbers and estimated salaries for the forwards, Nashville will be at about 43.6 million, but that's also with bonuses porjected within this which if not met, can put the Preds BELOW the cap floor. This also will reward a good soldier and could jump start Legwand's career. The biggest knock on Leggy was he doesn't have any talent around him. Well let's look at the lines after the announcement from Poile.

Hornqvist-Wilson-Erat
Sully-Legwand-Dumont

Guess what, Legwand has talent around him, Dumont get's top 6 minutes, and the one guy we were ALL complaining about is gone, time to find a new goat.

This also keeps Spaling in Nashville to fill up the bottom 6

Ward-Goc-Tootoo
Spaling-Smithson-Thuresson/Boyd
Belak-Boyd/Thuresson

You notice, O'Reilly is out. I expect him to be traded for picks or other options.

Defensively, we all knew Hamhuis is gone. He was going to test the FA market, be a good union man and get as much as he can. The miracle is that Nashville moved him and got something for him. Parent is oft injured. Fine, more time for Milwaukee call ups; Josi, Blum, Laakso. I'm not going to cry about this. The pairings look like this:

Weber-Suter
Klein-Boullion
Franson-Parent
Laakso

Sulzer and Grebs is gone. Grebs' RFA number is too damned high. Sulzer just doesn't have a place on this team. More picks in this year's draft.

Goal could be anyone, Dekanich, anyone of the barbarian goalie horde in Milwaukee/Cincy/Europe. VERY cheap vet FA. Nashville's budget for this spot will be less than a million.

What the team got. Parent, a defensive defenseman who will play a lot of PK minutes and pair with Franson this pairing might become a poor man's Weber-Suter. Big guy, little guy.

The Halischek prospect was #9 in HF's perspective from NJ. Forward, Poile was talking about him getting Nashville minutes. If true, the days for Boyd will be numbered too.

I'm honestly not complaining about this because Dumont might increase his stats simply by getting top 6 minutes. Legwand will have talent around him. The Hornqvist-Wilson-Erat has balance. A shooter in Erat, a Playmaker in Wilson, and dumb sonofabeach to stand in front of the goalie in Hornqvist. Same with Sully-Legwand-Dumont. Ward, Goc, Tootoo could be interesting. 4th line is fine.

Weber Suter is fine and will suck up 20-25 minutes a night. Klein and Boullion worked very well together. Franson and Parent look like a pairing that can work.

The question is, how many and what picks will Poile score for the guys who don't have spots? Also what is next for the PP? Arnott was second on the team in PP points on the Preds but that frankly is not much of an achievement. With the line shake up, what will the PP look like? Will the Preds make a move to add PP?

Last edited by BigFatCat999: 06-19-2010 at 07:22 PM.
Old
06-19-2010, 07:36 PM
Byrddog

Quote:
Situation analysis, status quo

My laptop has a AMD processor. One of he big advantages of it is that if it over heats, say while you are in the car camping by a wifi spot, it will shut off to protect the laptop and the processor. It also gives me a hint, maybe I should go for a drive and think about things. So I did while I left the Poile video to digest and thought about where we were and what just happened.

The situation before the rockets red glare coming from Poile's Fort McHenry was Nashville needed to dump a disappointing highly paid forward. We ALL assumed that it would be Dumont because of his loss of top 6 status and his disappointing numbers. We also thought that Arnott's braincase would prevent him from being traded. Shocker of shockers, Poile played on NJ sentamentality and got Arnott sent to NJ for their #9 prospect and a 2nd in the '11 draft (which would be a, what, a 4th in this year's draft?) Huge, not only did Poile trade the one player who I wanted gone but also he traded a player who was making 500K more than Dumont. Now think about this. Dumont was disappointing because he was shuffled to the 3rd line. Arnott as disappointing because of his attitude and injuries. Dumont said he would do what's best for the team even when he was told he was going to get 3rd line minutes. And well, Arnott, yeah. Dumont passed Trotz's test and I would not be surprised to see Dumont with a well deserved C.

With the Arnott trade, the Preds clear salary which will pay for all the RFAs and will leave quite a big buffer. With the supposed numbers and estimated salaries for the forwards, Nashville will be at about 43.6 million, but that's also with bonuses porjected within this which if not met, can put the Preds BELOW the cap floor. This also will reward a good soldier and could jump start Legwand's career. The biggest knock on Leggy was he doesn't have any talent around him. Well let's look at the lines after the announcement from Poile.

Hornqvist-Wilson-Erat
Sully-Legwand-Dumont

Guess what, Legwand has talent around him, Dumont get's top 6 minutes, and the one guy we were ALL complaining about is gone, time to find a new goat.

This also keeps Spaling in Nashville to fill up the bottom 6

Ward-Goc-Tootoo
Spaling-Smithson-Thuresson/Boyd
Belak-Boyd/Thuresson

You notice, O'Reilly is out. I expect him to be traded for picks or other options.

Defensively, we all knew Hamhuis is gone. He was going to test the FA market, be a good union man and get as much as he can. The miracle is that Nashville moved him and got something for him. Parent is oft injured. Fine, more time for Milwaukee call ups; Josi, Blum, Laakso. I'm not going to cry about this. The pairings look like this:

Weber-Suter
Klein-Boullion
Franson-Parent
Laakso

Sulzer and Grebs is gone. Grebs' RFA number is too damned high. Sulzer just doesn't have a place on this team. More picks in this year's draft.

Goal could be anyone, Dekanich, anyone of the barbarian goalie horde in Milwaukee/Cincy/Europe. VERY cheap vet FA. Nashville's budget for this spot will be less than a million.

What the team got. Parent, a defensive defenseman who will play a lot of PK minutes and pair with Franson this pairing might become a poor man's Weber-Suter. Big guy, little guy.

The Halischek prospect was #9 in HF's perspective from NJ. Forward, Poile was talking about him getting Nashville minutes. If true, the days for Boyd will be numbered too.

I'm honestly not complaining about this because Dumont might increase his stats simply by getting top 6 minutes. Legwand will have talent around him. The Hornqvist-Wilson-Erat has balance. A shooter in Erat, a Playmaker in Wilson, and dumb sonofabeach to stand in front of the goalie in Hornqvist. Same with Sully-Legwand-Dumont. Ward, Goc, Tootoo could be interesting. 4th line is fine.

Weber Suter is fine and will suck up 20-25 minutes a night. Klein and Boullion worked very well together. Franson and Parent look like a pairing that can work.

The question is, how many and what picks will Poile score for the guys who don't have spots? Also what is next for the PP? Arnott was second on the team in PP points on the Preds but that frankly is not much of an achievement. With the line shake up, what will the PP look like? Will the Preds make a move to add PP?

Dang Cat I was havin a good day and u had to ruin it putting Tootoo into a post