HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Plekanec @ 5mill vs Marleau @ 6mill vs Kovalchuk @ 8mill

View Poll Results: Which one?
Plekanec - 5mill 119 33.15%
Marleau - 6mill 130 36.21%
Kovalchuk - 8mill 88 24.51%
None of these players are worth the salaries listed 22 6.13%
Voters: 359. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-19-2010, 05:18 PM
Chomsky

vCash: 500
Kovy and Andrei would have good chemistry IMO, but only if Kovy can be the puck retriever on that line. Aside from that, Andrei would probably love to dish it to Kovy and vice-versa.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 05:21 PM
Lemons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saku_All_The_Way View Post
Kovalchuk at 6M (90M over 15 years)

10 10 10 8 8 8 8 6 5,5 5 5 3 2 0,75 0,75

So its obviously 83,5M over 11 years for him and we add 4 years till he is 42yrs old to help on the cap.

And he knows that he will treat it like God (dieu du stade) ..if you know what I mean
this.

Lemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 05:46 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
Did we just make it to the ECF? Oh wait, yes.
Did we trade the reason we did, oh yes we just did and not for something that would make us think we'll be back there if I may add.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 05:47 PM
Smoke Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
I would go with Marleau.

He has size, can score and play centre.

Plekanec at $5 is too much for his calibre.

Kovalchuk doesn't make us a winner, the guy is all for himself.

Marleau a former captain also bring in leadership.
Marleau has proven enough times that he can't win at the playoffs with a stacked team like the San Jose Sharks. He'll be asking minimum $7million. We don't want the choker.

Plekanec has proven that he's also a no-show at the playoffs when it matters most and besides he'll be asking more like $6million a year.

I'd take Kovalchuk any day of the week and twice on tuesday over the rest of them. At any price! He has more talent and heart in his pinky than the other two combined.

Last edited by Smoke Monster: 06-19-2010 at 08:09 PM.
Smoke Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 05:50 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
The ideal scenario as far as I'm concerned:

Sign Plekanec for less than 5M/year
Trade both Kostitsyn either:

- In a package for Penner
- In exchange of a draft pick to sign Frolov

I just can't believe the organization could consider keeping those two clowns, and not going after good ptions on the UFA market, on the trade market, or not keeping Plekanec.
There is no way the kostitsyns start the year in montreal, have patience people.

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 06:14 PM
boss10

A 28 year old superstar does not come along very often...Kovalchuck is the way to go! He is top 10 player in the world today. He has size and strength and hard to knock off the puck...exactly what we need. Don't sign Pleks...get rid of the Kots bros and you should have your money to spend on Kovy. You front load your top 6 and find pluggers and workhorses for your bottom 6. The habs can do this for sure...

Gionta Gomez Pouliot
Kovalchuk Eller Cammalleri
Moen Moore Pyatt
White Lapierre ??? (Asham, Burish, Stewart, Pyatt, Pacioretty)

I think he would thrive in Montreal!

boss10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 06:17 PM
kernkraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
Kostitsyn is a headcase. No matter if he's lazy or not, those two have given more thanenough headaches to the organization in the last few years to get traded. They're dumb as hell, and certainly not productive enough to make up for their lack of effort/concentration/physical shape.

The stories on both of them in this year's playoffs just is too much. You'd be crazy to sacrifice a chance of improving your team, just to keep those two bums.
Wow, you really hate those two guys. Maybe you know them personally or something? Or maybe you just accept everything the xenophobic press of Montreal says about them? Perhaps you haven't heard the bad press on Frolov? The fans in L.A. are saying exactly the same things about him we hear about AK.

Perhaps you should let management deal with them. 2/3 of the team was changed last year and those two "headcases" stayed. And that was from Mr. Conservative Bob Gainey.

I'm not saying they're blameless, but go and have a look at the Kost brothers highlights on Youtube. Then tell me you want to knowingly throw that away for nothing.

kernkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 06:28 PM
Max Levine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saku_All_The_Way View Post
Kovalchuk at 6M (90M over 15 years)

10 10 10 8 8 8 8 6 5,5 5 5 3 2 0,75 0,75

So its obviously 83,5M over 11 years for him and we add 4 years till he is 42yrs old to help on the cap.

And he knows that he will treat it like God (dieu du stade) ..if you know what I mean
Plus, he could make more with a dvd

Max Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 06:32 PM
Ginu

There is one thing going for us with Kovalchuk and the salary cap. If we don't bring back Pleks and put Eller in the second line center position, he balances out Kovalchuk's salary over two top 6 positions. We could offer him a long-term 8 year contract at $55m front-loaded giving him just under a $7m cap hit. With Eller that would average out to about $4-4.5m/year each over two positions for however long Eller is still on his entry level deal.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 06:42 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
Did we trade the reason we did, oh yes we just did and not for something that would make us think we'll be back there if I may add.
Why in the hell not? We just got better since Markov will be back, Hammer will be gone or a marginal player and from getting a third line centre with offense. Halak's performance was nice, but it didn't do it by himself. A bunch of guys stepped their game and he gave them a chance to win, something that Price can repeat.

Old
06-19-2010, 06:51 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
Why in the hell not? We just got better since Markov will be back, Hammer will be gone or a marginal player and from getting a third line centre with offense. Halak's performance was nice, but it didn't do it by himself. A bunch of guys stepped their game and he gave them a chance to win, something that Price can repeat.
All I'm saying is if I'm Kovy what I'm seeing right now is a step backwards from a team that was not deemed contenders at the beginning of last year ( We went from 2 good young goalies to only 1 ). I think we'll still be a question mark team and not clear contenders for any UFA that looks at our team on paper. We can end up contenders during the next season the same way we did last season, with some players exceeding expectations, but that's just not something you can use as a tangible when negotiating with a player like Kovalchuk (all imho).

This could change sure, there's what 3 months left to improve. If Plek goes, there's just no way though. You don't sell a rookie with 7 NHL games the same way you do with a Plekanec to an elite winger. Can always argue with Gomez, I don't know, not too confident either.

Old
06-19-2010, 06:53 PM
BigTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss10 View Post
A 28 year old superstar does not come along very often...Kovalchuck is the way to go! He is top 10 player in the world today. He has size and strength and hard to knock off the puck...exactly what we need. Don't sign Pleks...get rid of the Kots bros and you should have your money to spend on Kovy. You front load your top 6 and find pluggers and workhorses for your bottom 6. The habs can do this for sure...

Gionta Gomez Pouliot
Kovalchuk Eller Cammalleri
Moen Moore Pyatt
White Lapierre ??? (Asham, Burish, Stewart, Pyatt, Pacioretty)

I think he would thrive in Montreal!

i actually love this line up, tis nothing but a dream tho

BigTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 06:58 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
All I'm saying is if I'm Kovy what I'm seeing right now is a step backwards from a team that was not deemed contenders at the beginning of last year ( We went from 2 good young goalies to only 1 ). I think we'll still be a question mark team and not clear contenders for any UFA that looks at our team on paper. We can end up contenders during the next season the same way we did last season, with some players exceeding expectations, but that's just not something you can use as a tangible when negotiating with a player like Kovalchuk (all imho).

This could change sure, there's what 3 months left to improve. If Plek goes, there's just no way though. You don't sell a rookie with 7 NHL games the same way you do with a Plekanec to an elite winger. Can always argue with Gomez, I don't know, not too confident either.
I sure hope Kovy isn't dumb enough to believe he'll be signing with a stacked team if he wants 8M+ for 10 years. He'll judge how he fits with the team and how would the team look with him in it. In the case of Mtl, if you add Kovy, we are contenders.

Old
06-19-2010, 07:10 PM
Smoke Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Like he did in all of those playoff years in Atlanta?
Kovalchuk played in a bottom feeding team like Atlanta for 8 years and the team was so crappy that they never made it to the playoffs except for one year. He's tired of playing for crappy teams, that's why he left even after they offered him a kings ransom. He wants to be on a team that has a chance of winning the stanley cup. We came in third last season I think we just proved we can win the cup and with Kovalchuk he'll be the straw that broke the phillies and hawks backs.

Last edited by Smoke Monster: 06-19-2010 at 08:07 PM.
Old
06-19-2010, 07:11 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
I sure hope Kovy isn't dumb enough to believe he'll be signing with a stacked team if he wants 8M+ for 10 years. He'll judge how he fits with the team and how would the team look with him in it. In the case of Mtl, if you add Kovy, we are contenders.
Rangers traded Gomez's ~7.4 mil contract to make room for Gaborik. Not exactly the same magnitude as what would be needed for Kovalchuk, and that didn't make them contenders for jock, but it shows anything is possible.

Old
06-19-2010, 07:14 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Rangers traded Gomez's ~7.4 mil contract to make room for Gaborik. Not exactly the same magnitude as what would be needed for Kovalchuk, and that didn't make them contenders for jock, but it shows anything is possible.
We need to trade Hammer and Akost, far from being vital to this team's success.

Old
06-19-2010, 07:25 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Monster View Post
Does the number 25 mean anything to you?
25 reminds me of Dandenault if that's where you were going because having a player of Dandenault's calibre will sure attract Kovalchuk's attention in signing with us.

Chris Cutter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 07:52 PM
HockeyF3ind

Marleau, even for 7 he'd be worth it.
Smooth and speedy skater, big body, great shot and is a natural center if need be.

In leiu of plecks he could center our 2nd line with cammy and a kost on the wings, but if Eller stepped up to that spot we could put marleau with gomez and gio and watch the magic.
Marleau-Gomez-Gionta = definitive top line.

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 08:00 PM
habfan1968

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ourson View Post
I go with no one on the list. We need the players who is working hard, unselfish, capable protecting their teammates and costing not to much. 2 players like that are better than one of them right?

You nailed it, the team as a whole seems to be moving in that direction. I would hunt out a 3 million dollar heart and soul guy that can get you 50 - 60 points and play in traffic before I pay any of those guys that kind of money, in the context of the current team of course.

habfan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 08:04 PM
Smoke Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Levine View Post
Of course Kovalchuk is the better player there but that's why it's $2M-$3M more. An average of 46 goals and 87 points in the last five years surely deserves it.

One thing's sure, I wouldn't have a problem with Eller centering the 2nd line if he is surrounded by top experienced players.

If PG could find a way to trade Hammer and AK for picks, I'd love Eller between Kovalchuk and Cammalleri.
You don't need to trade A.K. to fit Kovalchuk all we have to do is buyout Harmlik so that he'll only have a 1.83 cap hit (2/3x5.5=1.83million cap hit) and not sign Plekanec. If we are lucky enough to trade A.K. for some decent player than that opens even more space to replace him with someone useful.
Anyway, getting Kovalchuk should be the number one priority for Gauthier at any price; that's a no brainer; for arguably the best player in the league. A tremendous offensive threat that Montreal desperatly needs considering it is one of the worst 5 on 5 teams in the league as far as scoring goals is concerned. Kovalchuk with Gomez and Gionta on the first line or even paired with Cammalleri, Ellers, Pouliot, A.K., or another player we can snag would be insanely good.

Last edited by Smoke Monster: 06-19-2010 at 09:41 PM.
Old
06-19-2010, 08:11 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
You don't need to trade A.K. to fit Kovalchuk all we have to do is buyout Harmlik before the trade deadline so that he'll only have a 1.83 cap hit (2/3x5.5=1.83million cap hit) and not sign Plekanec. If we are lucky enough to trade A.K. for some decent player than that opens even more space to replace him with someone useful.
Anyway, getting Kovalchuk should be the number one priority for Gauthier at any price; that's a no brainer; for arguably the best player in the league. A tremendous offensive threat that Montreal desperatly needs considering it is one of the worst 5 on 5 teams in the league as far as scoring goals is concerned. Kovalchuk with Gomez and Gionta on the first line or even paired with Cammalleri, Ellers, Pouliot, A.K., or another player we can snag would be insanely good.
I don't think you can buyout a player right before the deadline. There's a period for buyouts and it's right now. (June 15 to June 30).

Old
06-19-2010, 09:36 PM
Smoke Monster

Quote:
I don't think you can buyout a player right before the deadline. There's a period for buyouts and it's right now. (June 15 to June 30).
Do you think we should buyout Harmlik before June 30th?

Old
06-19-2010, 09:40 PM
Coach Brisebois*

kariya @ 5 million > the rest

Coach Brisebois* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 09:43 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
Do you think we should buyout Harmlik before June 30th?
I think we should if we still can't sign at least Plekanec and if we can't find any teams to deal him to. PG might think that Hammer still has some good games in him though and it would be better to go into the season with him than an unproven Weber for instance.

Old
06-19-2010, 09:46 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Marleau will get closer to 7 on the UFA market.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote