HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Anyone else feel equipment costs hinder the growth of the sport in NA?

Old
06-17-2010, 06:24 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

vCash: 500
Yes, yes, and yes... This is why I never played ice hockey, it was too expensive.... I was mostly playing soccer growing up... Each year the fee was like $60 to play and I would only have nominal expenses for cleats and shinguards every couple years.... I never wanted to ask my parents to shell out several hundreds of dollars so I could play ice hockey when none of my siblings ever played any sports that cost that kind of $$$

When I was in high school it was worse.... Our school formed their first team and there wasn't a lot of funding at all so it was like $8,000 per player to play the first year or two.... That's insane!

The sport is no where near as popular as it should be because people simply aren't exposed to it anywhere close to the degree that they are the other sports, and thus, they are widely unfamiliar with all aspects of the game, and thus, generally not that interested....

That's why it should be our universal goal as hockey fans to recruit and convert as many potential fans as possible. I've successfully transformed one friend into a fan and I'm happy about that... Looking to add more...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 06:32 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Ice time is more the reason than equipment costs. Put it this way, in Canada, there's no issue. Sure it's their national game, but ice time is more readily available and much less expensive than here. It puts a nice dent in your wallet if every time you go to an open skate it costs you $10 - 20. I'm sure league fees are much more expensive in the US than Canada as well. Any kid who wants to get serious about the game of hockey will need to play in a league and will also need additional ice time on top of their games and practices.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 04:13 AM
vivianmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi on Ice View Post
Where are you playing at in Pittsburgh? My team's fees went up to 900 per person here in Pittsburgh for the upcoming season. I don't think I'll be able to play. :-/
that is ****in ridiculous. we pay 300 per man (12 man team)for 30 games and playoffs. all 9pm or 10:30 pm starts.i fell for you guys thats just robbery.

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 04:33 AM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
$4000 per team ($250/player) for 12 games and 2 playoff games (semi-finals, finals) here at Snoopy's. Maybe it's a good thing it's impossible to get on a roster.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 08:29 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

We play about $250 a person for 10 games and that's with about 13 players. Geez, I wish I lived in Canada

Old
06-18-2010, 08:30 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Equipment costs are killing me as I am starting to get into the game. I get free ice time and had old skates to use, but still... several hundred dollars' worth of equipment doesn't come easy.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 01:02 PM
TheShoe82
No Diving!

When I was a kid I remember rink costs for the town league were about $600 a year. Take a growing young person and factor that in the costs, and its easily the most expensive sport to play. I think its a hindrance to the growth of the sport, for sure.

TheShoe82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 01:37 PM
Razzmatazz

Does anyone think that synthetic ice is a realistic solution down the road to increasing ice time and reducing ice time costs? I've never seen the stuff beyond YouTube videos, and still haven't gotten a big enough sample size from people who have used it to get a feel on whether or not it's a suitable substitute...but it seems like a relatively cheap alternative that doesn't have the maintenance costs associated with keeping a real rink cold.

Unfortunately, with the economy the way it is, and is going, I can't see the growth of the game from a grassroots level happening much for several years, since costs will only be going up...the manufacturers don't care about who is playing, they are making equipment to meet the bottom line.

Razzmatazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 10:06 PM
roast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi on Ice View Post
Where are you playing at in Pittsburgh? My team's fees went up to 900 per person here in Pittsburgh for the upcoming season. I don't think I'll be able to play. :-/

A couple of places...Neville Island, Ice Castle, Cranberry, Bethel Park...all around 1500 for a session (10 games +1 playoff automatically)

roast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 10:47 PM
hoonking

Heh... for youth hockey here in NJ, its about $2100 for a season, 15 games and 34 practices. Stick time and open skates are $10 and $5-10, respectively.

hoonking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 11:27 PM
Areid1990

vCash: 50
Yup. The cost is pretty extreme compared to any other sports and the fact that you have to learn to skate also may turn off a lot of people.

Skating takes a lot of time to master, unlike running where there is nothing to it. Then you got to learn all the other crap that goes with Hockey after you learn how to skate.

But! I am currently playing in the CBC 3 on 3 thing here in Calgary and I must say it's a lot of funny and it's STREET HOCKEY! Street Hockey should be a stepping stone for kids in the US or Ball Hockey!
They really should start promoting this because it's relatively cheap and a lot of fun and your basically playing the sport except not skating.

All you need for street is Stick, Helmet, Gloves, Shin pads and runner. The goalie would need gear, but something like that can be provided.

Heck there isn't even street hockey leagues for people in Calgary! There is Ball hockey, which is fairly cheap to and it's inside, but that's it really.

Either way! Hockey can grow because you don't need ice to play the sport and love it. Floor and BAll and Street hockey are very fun (Not as fun as Ice) and it could be a great way of kids to watch Ice Hockey and maybe move on to that.

I mean just because you can't play on Ice doesn't mean you can't imagine your OV scoring the game winning goal?

Areid1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 11:45 PM
shaolin95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Areid1990 View Post
I mean just because you can't play on Ice doesn't mean you can't imagine your Sidney scoring the game winning goal?
I fixed your comment to reflect something that actually DOES happen!

shaolin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 12:13 AM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

here is something funny!

The national sport of Canada is,,, wait for it,,, Lacrosse

now the funny part!

The national sport of India is,,, wait for it,,, Hockey!

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 12:26 AM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaminnj View Post
here is something funny!

now the funny part!

Field hockey.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 12:58 AM
Hertl Power

Hockey is an Elitist sport that a lot of people aren't exposed to like they are other sports around the world.

I heard a statistic recently that said in the USA youth hockey players come from families with more average wealth than any other youth sport. That included tennis and golf.

If you think of it for getting a kid into playing early you will have to spend probably $500 minimum for equipment (some of which will need to be replaced every 2-3 years) and then the highest league fees of any sport.

It hurts also coming from an area where there are on average 0 days of snow each year.

Hertl Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 09:22 AM
hoonking

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaminnj View Post
here is something funny!

now the funny part!

Lax is Canada's national summer sport while Hockey is Canada's national winter sport

hoonking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 10:25 AM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoonking View Post
Lax is Canada's national summer sport while Hockey is Canada's national winter sport
I must update my records.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 12:04 PM
md3k*

Anyone who has played at an elite level knows the REAL cost of playing hockey. I was a goalie, so multiply a players cost by at least 3. (Goalie pads go for 1500-2000 these days for top end ones, that might be more than every piece of equipment for a player). Not sure on players cost for some but goalie is absolutely brutal, every good young goalie you see has rich parents).

1. Technical training (mostly on ice technical work), anyone who is serious will be doing this at least twice a week at 50$ per session.

2. Off ice training, unless you or your dad have an exercise science degree and know how to properly train, count personal training or hockey specific gyms as another huge cost. 40-50$ for the occasional private session. I've seen memberships for hockey specific training facilities range around 2500$ per year.

3. League Costs, playing on a AA or AAA team gets very expensive, it can cost a few extra thousand

4. Equipment, youth-intermediate equipment isn't nearly as expensive as senior/pro, and some pieces of equipment don't need to be replaced that often. Plus you can decide to get used equipment, so I don't look at equipment as the really big cost in playing hockey. For lower income families though equipment alone is expensive enough. (new set of senior goalie equipment can come to 4K$+ !!!!)

5. Time! Forgot to include this but it should probably be number 1. Doing all of the above while going to school=no free time, and I think that drives a lot of kids to quit.

md3k* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 03:50 PM
haayward

When have you ever heard of a kid coming from a "ghetto" or a poor family to play in the NHL, compared to the NBA or NFL its a lot different, you can play basketball and football anywhere cause you only need one ball. Where not everyone gets the same opportunity to play ice hockey.

haayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 12:05 AM
KHaosActual

As legendary Herb Brooks stated..
"We need to increase the number of rinks in America."
"We need ice sheets, locker rooms and ice resurfacers. We don't always need, however weight rooms, restaurants, beautiful lobbies and architectural niceties."
"Perhaps instead of building such elaborate indoor facilities, we should go back to constructing more outdoor rinks with artificial ice. This is what baseball, soccer and basketball have over hockey-kids can hone their games virtually everwhere."
-quote taking from "America's Coach" by Ross Bernstein

I agree, hockey equipment costs are expensive, especially the goalie, I just paid $50 for a Rebook goalie stick from Sports Authority( I know not the best place to get it, but I live in Kansas) and it lasted me only 3 games...
Sometimes you just need skates, a helmet, a stick and the puck and you can go.
But to be safe you gotta pay some money.
I try to get bargains from hockeymonkey.com when I search, for me that sucks cause I can't try to the equipment and see how well it fits.
Sometimes I wish, the "rich" hockey players in the NHL could to something to help spread the gift of hockey around. I mean you always read about group/team discounts and bulk buys of stuff. If I find gear, I always try to donate to an incoming player or someone who's been down on their luck. Hockey is great, and everyone should have a chance to play the greatest game on ice.

KHaosActual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 08:32 AM
vivianmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofhockey98 View Post
As legendary Herb Brooks stated..
"We need to increase the number of rinks in America."
"We need ice sheets, locker rooms and ice resurfacers. We don't always need, however weight rooms, restaurants, beautiful lobbies and architectural niceties."
"Perhaps instead of building such elaborate indoor facilities, we should go back to constructing more outdoor rinks with artificial ice. This is what baseball, soccer and basketball have over hockey-kids can hone their games virtually everwhere."
-quote taking from "America's Coach" by Ross Bernstein

I agree, hockey equipment costs are expensive, especially the goalie, I just paid $50 for a Rebook goalie stick from Sports Authority( I know not the best place to get it, but I live in Kansas) and it lasted me only 3 games...
Sometimes you just need skates, a helmet, a stick and the puck and you can go.
But to be safe you gotta pay some money.
I try to get bargains from hockeymonkey.com when I search, for me that sucks cause I can't try to the equipment and see how well it fits.
Sometimes I wish, the "rich" hockey players in the NHL could to something to help spread the gift of hockey around. I mean you always read about group/team discounts and bulk buys of stuff. If I find gear, I always try to donate to an incoming player or someone who's been down on their luck. Hockey is great, and everyone should have a chance to play the greatest game on ice.
herb brooks was the best thing to ever happen to USA hockey.

and if you come to almost every rink here in winnipeg you will see...a rink. no restaraunt, bar, fancy pro shop etc. the rinks in the US need to be publicly owned, spartan just for skating, no other (expensive) BS.

Old
06-21-2010, 12:25 PM
KHaosActual

The US does definitely needs another pioneer of hockey like Herb Brooks.
I know that no one could ever replace him, and I'm not looking for that, I would just like someone who cares about the sport and wants to see it taken further.
We do just need standard rinks both for ice and roller.

KHaosActual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 01:09 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

The problem is that an ice hockey rink on its own isn't as profitable as one with a bar/restaurant and such.

Rinks make most of their ice related money from high school teams, youth leagues, adult leagues, public skates. I'm assuming anyway. All of those things involve adults being there. Adults like to chill and drink while their kids play, hence bars and restaurants. Adult league players like to go get a drink after the game. Bars.

Pro shops are there because people will sharpen their skates before games. Maybe their stick broke and they need another. They forgot their cup or something so they need a new one. Etc. Not only that but they're more expensive than anywhere else.

All of these things make a successful rink in the US.

We don't have a lot of rinks because for one, in many well populated ares, it's much harder to find land and get permission to open a rink. Also, it's not worth the money for owners unless their rink always has activities.

The rink I play at, I hear doesn't make much money and they have all that stuff. Adult leagues are always full (although less these days, with prices increasing all the time and team payment dates becoming earlier every season), every high school team for a 10-15 or so mile radius plays there, quite a few in house youth leagues, public sessions on the weekends are packed. So IDK, there must be more to it then I know.

And yet, if I want to go to an open hockey session on a Wednesday afternoon when no one is on the ice, it's $10. If I want to go to open hockey when it's packed, $10. More often than not open hockey at nights is on the crappy studio rink and guess what? $10.

We get ripped off like crazy here. Other rinks i know of are $15 - $20 for open hockey. That's a lot every time you wanna go for a skate.

Old
06-22-2010, 09:04 AM
vivianmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
The problem is that an ice hockey rink on its own isn't as profitable as one with a bar/restaurant and such.

Rinks make most of their ice related money from high school teams, youth leagues, adult leagues, public skates. I'm assuming anyway. All of those things involve adults being there. Adults like to chill and drink while their kids play, hence bars and restaurants. Adult league players like to go get a drink after the game. Bars.

Pro shops are there because people will sharpen their skates before games. Maybe their stick broke and they need another. They forgot their cup or something so they need a new one. Etc. Not only that but they're more expensive than anywhere else.

All of these things make a successful rink in the US.

We don't have a lot of rinks because for one, in many well populated ares, it's much harder to find land and get permission to open a rink. Also, it's not worth the money for owners unless their rink always has activities.

The rink I play at, I hear doesn't make much money and they have all that stuff. Adult leagues are always full (although less these days, with prices increasing all the time and team payment dates becoming earlier every season), every high school team for a 10-15 or so mile radius plays there, quite a few in house youth leagues, public sessions on the weekends are packed. So IDK, there must be more to it then I know.

And yet, if I want to go to an open hockey session on a Wednesday afternoon when no one is on the ice, it's $10. If I want to go to open hockey when it's packed, $10. More often than not open hockey at nights is on the crappy studio rink and guess what? $10.

We get ripped off like crazy here. Other rinks i know of are $15 - $20 for open hockey. That's a lot every time you wanna go for a skate.
well we do have pro shops. . they just aren't fancy .
which rink are you talking about? rye?brewster?i lived in NYC and connecticut until 2007. go to west haven or milford,ct.those rinks are like the ones up here in canada.no BS just hockey. but ours up here are community owned. NOT FOR PROFIT. we do have one private complex with 3 rinks and a bar and all of that stuff. it cost almost double what a league in a community rink cost.
when wonderland in bridgeport was renovated in 2005 they added a second rink.i dont know if the restaraunt ever got put in or not(it was rumored) .that was a HOCKEY RINK before the addition and i hope JF kept it that way after (i moved during construction). but the point remains this. if he has added any of that BS it was to make more money. and thats not what kids sports are supposed to be about. its a shame that people need extra bells and whistles to enjoy a rink. why not just go there and watch the hockey?

Old
06-22-2010, 11:50 AM
doobie604

i don't know how everybody else started, but when i was young, a lot of us played ball hockey on tennis courts. stick and ball was cheap, that got us started. then we moved on to stick and roller blades, played at tennis courts and outdoor rinks. in high school had ice skating sessions every friday so that's where i picked up ice skating, and now there are leagues everywhere for ice and roller. it's not that expensive to get started, but it's expensive if you want to play in a league.

doobie604 is offline   Reply With Quote