HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thank You Jason Arnott

Old
06-20-2010, 02:40 AM
dulzhok

vCash: 500
Thank You Jason Arnott

For all the hate that's been going around for him, I'd like to say thanks
  • The most consistent goal scorer in Predators history
  • Wanted to play on the Preds so bad he reached out to Poile
  • Was a big part of our best regular season successes in '05-'07
  • Captained the team to the playoffs in '08 after the big firesale.
  • Battled multiple concussions over the last couple years
  • Scored at 40g clip in 2008-09: unheard of for a Predator
  • Quickly forgotten, but really took the team on his back when he came back for injury in 2008-09, almost propelling us into the playoffs

Sure, you can question the decision for him to be captain, but that was a Poile/Trotz move.... Sure, he didn't lay people out like Ovechkin... Sure, he didn't have unlimited energy like a Hornqvist... Sure, his age was starting to show... Sure, he wasn't the perfect player... But, overall, he was a pretty good for us.

Last edited by dulzhok: 06-20-2010 at 02:47 AM.
dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 03:25 AM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
  • Quickly forgotten, but really took the team on his back when he came back for injury in 2008-09, almost propelling us into the playoffs

Sure, you can question the decision for him to be captain, but that was a Poile/Trotz move.... Sure, he didn't lay people out like Ovechkin... Sure, he didn't have unlimited energy like a Hornqvist... Sure, his age was starting to show... Sure, he wasn't the perfect player... But, overall, he was a pretty good for us.

Amen

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 03:36 AM
I Will Son
An Army of One

THANKS ARNOTT!

Well said.....Ill be wearing my Arnott 3rd at opening night

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 04:15 AM
ZombPred
ALLeyeDOizWHEN!

I'm actually quite pissed off that we traded him.

ZombPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 04:21 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiralyPred View Post
I'm actually quite pissed off that we traded him.
You may be the only one that's that upset.

glenngineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 08:53 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
You may be the only one that's that upset.
im not upset beause we were obviously losing him after this season anyway and losing him now was better ASSUMING we pick up a top line winger to replace some of his production.

if this was a pure salary dump(which I dont believe, at least not yet) then I am upset.

despite all the haters, the man scored goals... and we had precious few of them last year.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 09:09 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
im not upset beause we were obviously losing him after this season anyway and losing him now was better ASSUMING we pick up a top line winger to replace some of his production.

if this was a pure salary dump(which I dont believe, at least not yet) then I am upset.

despite all the haters, the man scored goals... and we had precious few of them last year.
I fully agree with this post as it shares my viewpoint.

I'll add that, from a leadership on the ice standpoint, I'm happy to see him out. Now maybe he was fantastic in the locker room, but I can only comment on what I see. But if we aren't going to replace his points and it is just a dump, I'd rather see a change of captain, and not a move.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 10:52 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
I fully agree with this post as it shares my viewpoint.

I'll add that, from a leadership on the ice standpoint, I'm happy to see him out. Now maybe he was fantastic in the locker room, but I can only comment on what I see. But if we aren't going to replace his points and it is just a dump, I'd rather see a change of captain, and not a move.
I'm not sure I'd agree with just a change of captain and to have kept him. I don't know if he's the type of player or guy that could have his ego hit like that and still perform.

While he did score goals, the little things in his game that Trotz likes out of his players, I didn't always see. Instead of skating and using his size to try and gain back the puck, he would whack at guys with his stick. Not gonna be very effective. I'm not saying he had to lay bone crushing checks on people because Suter takes the puck away efficiently without laying big checks but by positioning. Yes, I'm comparing a forward and a defenseman but you get the concept I'm throwing out there.

We also forget this gives Wilson a spot in the lineup full time on a top line where he'll be playing his strongest position, center. It also gets rid of a player who may not be the greatest role model for a young player to look up to. Arnott had value but I think at this point, we didn't move up in the draft two years ago to nab Wilson and have him play wing. We picked him to be a major cog on this team and obviously Poile and Trotz felt he was ready.

There appears to be another move on the horizon so until it happens, yesterdays moves are really hard to gauge.

glenngineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 11:09 AM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Thanks Arny

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 12:36 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:

Sure, you can question the decision for him to be captain, but that was a Poile move.... Sure, he didn't lay people out like Ovechkin... Sure, he didn't have unlimited energy like a Hornqvist... Sure, his age was starting to show... Sure, he wasn't the perfect player... But, overall, he was a pretty good for us.
FTFY

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 09:49 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

This is a good move and I'm glad it happened. Yeah Arnott was a good goal scorer but that doesn't mean he was what's right for this team. He seemed to be missing way too often and also seemed a bit lethargic and uninterested also. If things weren't going his way he would be out of whack and easily frustrated. Not the way I liked our captain to be. I'm sure he's ecstatic to be with a team where he will win and play with other big scorers where he doesn't have to be the main focus. Peace out Arny.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 12:55 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Quote:

Bye Arnott, thanks for everything, good luck in New Jersey. I'm sad to see him leave.

He played through a lot of pain and was part of one of the best scoring lines we ever had. He had the size/skill combo we never had before.

I understand the reasons for trading him, giving guys like Colin Wilson the opportunity for larger roles. And with all his concussions, I don't think he will play much longer so it's good we got something for him while we could.

Still, sad to see him leave.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 01:05 AM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
This is a good move and I'm glad it happened. Yeah Arnott was a good goal scorer but that doesn't mean he was what's right for this team.
Goalscoring plays a pretty big role in hockey

I think it could be the right move, but I also think we could have the lowest scoring forward group in the NHL if we stand pat.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 02:20 AM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Goalscoring plays a pretty big role in hockey

I think it could be the right move, but I also think we could have the lowest scoring forward group in the NHL if we stand pat.
We rely on grit and heart more than the vast majority of teams in the league, if not all of them. Our captain lacked it. He can score but his personality didn't fit in here. Offense isn't everything. He was a good player a lot of the time but I just didn't feel like he was ever going to be a part of our future (not just because he is older, but because I never for one second thought he would re-sign with us). I appreciate what he did in those good times, but I'm good with moving forward and getting the C on a new sweater.

And we obviously aren't going to stand pat unless we're about to get Balsillied again.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote