HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Poile's cleaning out the closet.....Now what?

Old
06-20-2010, 09:00 AM
Jarnberg

vCash: 500
I haven't looked at all the posts in this thread, but I think that Poile is only making these moves to get us to the cap floor again. I wouldn't get my hopes up about us signing a big name during free agency.

I'm sure Poile will go the usual route of saying we will rebuild from within, aka our owners are broke.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 09:12 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

For the visual learners out there.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 09:46 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
For the visual learners out there.

That roster is step back from last year, even with the franchise likely making money from this past season.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 10:23 AM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
I haven't looked at all the posts in this thread, but I think that Poile is only making these moves to get us to the cap floor again. I wouldn't get my hopes up about us signing a big name during free agency.

I'm sure Poile will go the usual route of saying we will rebuild from within, aka our owners are broke.
That is certainly possible. I find it highly unlikely, however. It doesn't make sense for several reasons:
  1. Assuming the owners want to break even, there are no indications that it is necessary to drop salary to the cap floor (meaning there isn't word that they lost a lot of money this past season).
  2. Dropping to the cap floor doesn't follow through on the claims to make every effort to improve as claimed by Poile and Trotz after the season ended.
  3. You want to keep Weber and Suter? You don't drop down to the floor right before you have to sign them both to long term contracts.

Again, a cap floor team just doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 10:25 AM
Que Sera Sera

Send a message via MSN to Que Sera Sera
Why would you guys want Byfuglien?

Que Sera Sera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 10:42 AM
JR303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
Leggy and Wilson will be centers, Sully and Hornqvist wingers.
Yeah, I know Legwand and Wilson are the centers, was meaning that I would have no problem with them switching between the wings I had listed together. I can see both being effective with those lines. Of course, I'm not a coach, just think they can be used in a more offensive role. Something we've all been asking for from Legwand since the departure of Kariya. I still think he can be an effective offensive player, now that the defense has become so much of his mindset, it should be second nature and even concentrating on offense he should still be responsible defensively.

JR303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 10:58 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR303 View Post
Yeah, I know Legwand and Wilson are the centers, was meaning that I would have no problem with them switching between the wings I had listed together. I can see both being effective with those lines. Of course, I'm not a coach, just think they can be used in a more offensive role. Something we've all been asking for from Legwand since the departure of Kariya. I still think he can be an effective offensive player, now that the defense has become so much of his mindset, it should be second nature and even concentrating on offense he should still be responsible defensively.
Unless we make a move for another top 6 forward, this move pushes Legwand into a top 6 role for next year because we don't have anyone else ready to fill the shoes of a top 6 guy. I think we go with Wilson, Legwand, Hornqvist, Sully, Dumont and Erat as our top 6 unless someone else is added. I think Wilson with Erat on one wing is probably the way to go and you fill out the lines from there. Keep Leggy and Erat separated and I would almost do the same with Sully and Dumont.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 11:53 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stache of Shea Weber View Post
I think a potential trade with Dallas would make sense. Ribiero might work...but what about James Neal? RFA this summer on a team loaded with forwards but lacking defense.
Not a chance, hon. Neal is to them as Voracek is to us.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 11:53 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Oil View Post
Why would you guys want Byfuglien?
1) He would be find on the 3rd line. With his body size and play he would push Tootoo to 4th line duty and Dumont would still stay on a 2nd line.

2) His cap and money hit would be fine with keeping with the modus operandi of the Preds. I say a trade of Buff, with O'Reilly and SUlzer going to the Hawks would work. O'Reilly and Sulzer would fill roster spots cheaply, give the Hawks a nice bit of cap savings of about 1.5 million. Now Hawks fans say that's not enough. Ok, a 1st for 2nd swap. O'Reilly doesn't work for the Preds, he would work for the Hawks. Sulzer doesn't really have a spot on the Preds but he would on the Hawks. Would you rather have the 1st or Buff? I think the Hawks would make this deal. Looking at my roster chart, playing the game of 'One of these things is not like the other'. O'Reilly is the odd man out.

3) Buff would act as Radulov insurance. Sully's contract is ending and you can move Buff to the top lines.

HOW.....Evah. With Arnott moved, if the team does not feel they can make team with Wilson as the #1 center, you can change Buff to Sharp and say O'Reilly and the 1st.

Hawks fans will scream "HEY! That's not enough!" but I counter with this. Chicago is not just in Cap hell, they are building their own personal 8th circle of cap hell with a plastic spoon. They are not in a position of power UNLESS they can get teams to negotiate against each other. Nashville can take a 3 million dollar player without having to give back much in the way of contracts.

As for the doom and gloomers who say this is a move to just get to the cap floor, reasonable. BUT the Preds based on a totally basic team of Milwaukee prospects would JUST make the projected cap floor of 42.8 million, I calculate a money hit of 43.99 million with about a million in rookie bonuses. BUT, let's look at the past of the Predators. The ownership group did not go into this to make money. Let's face it, they have lost money into this operation AND they have put money they have received from rev. sharing and profits into the team. They are getting a bump in rev. sharing and if the algebra is right their self imposed cap will jump up to 47 million.

The doom and gloomers have their facts too; the flood might have greatly effected the ticket base both corporate and single ticket sales, the owners might have lost some money having to make repairs from the flood, they might be projecting a large drop in next year's cap and they might be buffering that.

I can only on the past much like past statistics. The algebra says the self cap is 47, Poile will sign contracts up to 45-46 million leaving a million dollar buffer for a trade deadline move, and the roster screams for one more player.

Old
06-20-2010, 12:04 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

It's pretty simple why this team might be able to use Buff. We have ONE player willing to stand in front of the net for screens, deflections, and garbage goals. Two is always better than one. What happens when Horny takes a slapper off of the chin and has to miss six weeks? Our offense goes to hell.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 12:04 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Let's play what if.

With Byfuglien

With Sharp

Edit: As always, financials provided by capgeek

Old
06-20-2010, 01:04 PM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Unless we make a move for another top 6 forward, this move pushes Legwand into a top 6 role for next year because we don't have anyone else ready to fill the shoes of a top 6 guy. I think we go with Wilson, Legwand, Hornqvist, Sully, Dumont and Erat as our top 6 unless someone else is added. I think Wilson with Erat on one wing is probably the way to go and you fill out the lines from there. Keep Leggy and Erat separated and I would almost do the same with Sully and Dumont.
I do think they will make a move for a top 6 forward. Horton from Fla I think is who they are targeting. If that happens then here's what our offensive lineup will look like

Erat-Wilson-Horton
Sully-Goc-Hornqvist
Ward-Legwand-Dumont
Tootoo-Smithson-Spaling

I wouldn't be surprised Poile will try to convince Dumont to do like Arnott and try to move him which will free up more salary. Sully doesn't want to go anywhere. So he won't ok anything.

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 01:08 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
I do think they will make a move for a top 6 forward. Horton from Fla I think is who they are targeting. If that happens then here's what our offensive lineup will look like

Erat-Wilson-Horton
Sully-Goc-Hornqvist
Ward-Legwand-Dumont
Tootoo-Smithson-Spaling

I wouldn't be surprised Poile will try to convince Dumont to do like Arnott and try to move him which will free up more salary. Sully doesn't want to go anywhere. So he won't ok anything.
I really hope not ... Horton is a soft as tissue paper big man who doesn't use his body

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 01:19 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

The profile looks like this.

Center first line quality, must be able to score 25 goals a season. Making between 3-4 million unless Dumont is part of the trade then it becomes 6-7 million for the short term contract and Nashville says good bye later.

Nashville could surprise us by putting O'Reilly in a 2nd line role and put Legwand at the 3rd line.

Old
06-20-2010, 01:22 PM
JR303

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Do you have a problem with Legwand as a top 6? Personally, I don't. Think he can be a #2 with some scoring punch. I haven't like Trotz' use of him as solely a shut-down type guy, but it's quite possibly what we need(ed), especially trying to keep games close. I honestly would like to see Legwand given some offensive wingers and responsibility. Just can't imagine it's going to happen given our defense first requirements.

JR303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 02:43 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

As long as we get Smithson off of the second line I'm fine with Legwand as our #2 center. Wilson at #1 is a risk, but we took the kid with a #7 overall for a reason. Not ideal, but workable and if the risk pays off ... one hell of a reward.

Goc as the #2 center is another longshot, but we could then possibly move Legwand to wing again and see how that works out.

$3.5mil worth of added salary from contract extensions so far without Parent, Boyd, Franson, or Hornqvist inked.

I'll either get really happy or really upset later once we see where all of this is going.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 03:14 PM
ZombPred
ALLeyeDOizWHEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggun35 View Post
Eklund thinks there is more to come and we know he is never wrong:

Eklund

Are the Nashville Predators About to Acquire the Rights of a Superstar? Hmmm. Stay Tuned..See you all in the AM

Eklund

I need another source, who will talk to me in mid-morning, but there appears to be some logic to this sell-off today.
I surely hope so. We won't make the playoffs with the roster we have as of now.

ZombPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 03:14 PM
deanwormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Ironically, the Arnott signing in 2005 was the last time Poile added a proven roster player outside of a trade deadline rental (including both trade and FA). Unless you count the Greg Devries signing (the only other >1m addition to my recollection). There is also a slight chance we resign Grebeshov.

As to those bashing me that I don't expect Poile to add a proven scoringline player either through trade or FA... Well, the above is why I don't expect it to happen. I hope it does happen, but I'm not expecting it. Maybe if we move Dumont-- but I think Dumont is staying.

There aren't a lot of FA options, and there will be less once FA opens. Here is one decent option for us though-- Prospal. Not sure how much he would command, but I think he would fit it well and it'd be a short term commitment.
and before that, what did Poile do? Sully not exactly trade deadline, but close, then PK, then Arnie, right? and all those years before Sully - nothing, right?

I think we're getting back to the place we were when we signed PK and then Arnie - team built from within, solid where Trotz and Poile want to be (from the goal out) and poised to make some progress with an extra part or two. Isn't that what he did last time - suffered through the expansion time building the pieces and parts to make us solid and competitive, then added the pieces that made sense to get us over the hump?

not saying it's gonna' happen, but it does seem to me that Poile has put things back the way he wants since the Liarpold fiasco and maybe he's got his eye on something...

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 03:20 PM
Byrddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR303 View Post
Do you have a problem with Legwand as a top 6? Personally, I don't. Think he can be a #2 with some scoring punch. I haven't like Trotz' use of him as solely a shut-down type guy, but it's quite possibly what we need(ed), especially trying to keep games close. I honestly would like to see Legwand given some offensive wingers and responsibility. Just can't imagine it's going to happen given our defense first requirements.
I would accept Leggy as a top 6 if he were on a wing he can finish and be valuable there. AT center he has not excelled, two 20 goal seasons, those are not numbers you should expect from a guy who centered the first line more often than not. To make it even worse he has had 63 points as the peek of his production followed by 48 points as his second best year. SO why do many think, give him another chance at the first line. The question is why? What in the last three years has he done to warrant it. Now if his wife could have a kid about every three weeks it would help him. Someone pointed out he was a stud at playoff time. Well if 4 goals and 9 total points is the threshold I guess he is a playoff stud.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 03:31 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
I would accept Leggy as a top 6 if he were on a wing he can finish and be valuable there. AT center he has not excelled, two 20 goal seasons, those are not numbers you should expect from a guy who centered the first line more often than not. To make it even worse he has had 63 points as the peek of his production followed by 48 points as his second best year. SO why do many think, give him another chance at the first line. The question is why? What in the last three years has he done to warrant it. Now if his wife could have a kid about every three weeks it would help him. Someone pointed out he was a stud at playoff time. Well if 4 goals and 9 total points is the threshold I guess he is a playoff stud.
Those 20 goal seasons were when he had two quality wingers ... not Ward and Smithson. Just like in the playoffs when his scoring was without Jerred on his wing ....

Build the top six out of Wilson, Erat, Sullivan, Hornqvist, Legwand, Ward, Dumont.

Smithson shouldn't even sit next to the top six on the bench.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 03:37 PM
Byrddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Those 20 goal seasons were when he had two quality wingers ... not Ward and Smithson. Just like in the playoffs when his scoring was without Jerred on his wing ....

Build the top six out of Wilson, Erat, Sullivan, Hornqvist, Legwand, Ward, Dumont.

Smithson shouldn't even sit next to the top six on the bench.
I agree Smitty is a 4th liner and PK guy thats what he is. Trotz has tried 4th liners on the top lines way too often. I even recall Forsberg having Tootoo on his line for a while. What could have been goin thru Foppa's mind at that point?

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 03:38 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post

well, I suppose this could be true but it flies in the face of a number of "in the know" folks who had said that the dispute between Cigarran and Freeman was that the other owners wanted to spend more money and Freeman was refusing.

Time will tell, I suppose

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 05:27 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
well, I suppose this could be true but it flies in the face of a number of "in the know" folks who had said that the dispute between Cigarran and Freeman was that the other owners wanted to spend more money and Freeman was refusing.

Well, if that is the case then with Freeman's removal from the chairman spot money might be spent if A leads to B.

Old
06-20-2010, 05:41 PM
Juice*

horrible centers....u can have fisher for next to nothing.

Juice* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 05:42 PM
MarkMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post

That's really encouraging to hear, TBH.

MarkMM is offline   Reply With Quote