HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Pens to go hard after Whitney

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-20-2010, 01:50 PM
  #26
wej20
Registered User
 
wej20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Swansea,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 20,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mighty Boosh View Post
Whitney; 2yrs, $4.50mil

Make it happen, Ray.
that would be a Steal.

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 02:02 PM
  #27
66-29-33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Poni's rights for Whitney's rights? or maybe Leo/Eaton if they have interest.
I would do this but they are probably wanting our 1st round pick for Whitneys rights which is laughable IMO.

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 02:07 PM
  #28
UnderratedBrooks44
Registered User
 
UnderratedBrooks44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Miranda's house
Posts: 12,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
I would do this but they are probably wanting our 1st round pick for Whitneys rights which is laughable IMO.
No way in hell they would ask for that.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 02:17 PM
  #29
Rakunitz23
Registered User
 
Rakunitz23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 989
vCash: 500
Call me crazy, but I'd love this:

Whitney-Crosby-Higgins
Kunitz-Staal-Geno
Dupuis-Madden-TK
Rupp-Talbot-Adams
Godard

I LOVE Cooke, but the more I think about it, the more important it is for Ray to stick to his guns on his 'no more than 2 years' for players like Cooke.

That 2nd line is just beastly, Staal and Kunitz can easily put up 60 points on that line, and Geno should continue being Geno, only not the Geno from last year

Rakunitz23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 02:19 PM
  #30
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior
 
ColePens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 30,639
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
Whitney would be a great pickup for the Pens - I think he would fit nicely with either Sid or Malkin. Get it done Ray Ray
Fully agree Cassius. He's the one player out there that really fits the mold for what we are looking for and fits within our short-term need/salary.

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 02:22 PM
  #31
UnderratedBrooks44
Registered User
 
UnderratedBrooks44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Miranda's house
Posts: 12,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakunitz23 View Post
Call me crazy, but I'd love this:

Whitney-Crosby-Higgins
Kunitz-Staal-Geno
Dupuis-Madden-TK
Rupp-Talbot-Adams
Godard

I LOVE Cooke, but the more I think about it, the more important it is for Ray to stick to his guns on his 'no more than 2 years' for players like Cooke.

That 2nd line is just beastly, Staal and Kunitz can easily put up 60 points on that line, and Geno should continue being Geno, only not the Geno from last year
Why don't you just get Whitney, which drops Kunitz down to Malkin's line, then get a couple cheap right wings with a little skill? Pretty much the same thing but without so much change.

Whitney-Crosby-Armstrong
Kunitz-Malkin-Modin
Dupuis-Staal-Kennedy

or

Whitney-Crosby-Modin
Kunitz-Malkin-Afinogenov
Dupuis-Staal-Kennedy

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 02:24 PM
  #32
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior
 
ColePens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 30,639
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I'm a huge fan of bringing Armstrong back if he comes around the 1.0-1.5 range and it is for the 3rd line because Cooke signs somewhere else for 2.0+


That's such a reach and optimistic view, it's not even funny. But if those are the conditions, sign me up.

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 02:46 PM
  #33
PensRock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 169
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
Down the stretch, Sopel played VERY WELL for the Hawks. Now, that might not extend to the upcoming season, but he was a large part of the Hawks winning the Cup. Very reliable.
I would have to consider that as well. He only has one year left on his contract, which will hopefully serve as a bridge for the young guys to play in 2011-12. It is doubtful that either Leopold or Eaton would take a one year contract.

Sopel + Versteeg --> 2001 2nd Round Pick is a no-brainer for me ... which tells me that it will never happen.

PensRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 02:48 PM
  #34
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded
 
Coach John McGuirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Jersey Shore, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,729
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I'm a huge fan of bringing Armstrong back if he comes around the 1.0-1.5 range and it is for the 3rd line because Cooke signs somewhere else for 2.0+


That's such a reach and optimistic view, it's not even funny. But if those are the conditions, sign me up.
Agreed. I don't know how everyone can loathe Army and absolutely adore Cooke. I'd give Army up to $1.75mil if he came back here to replace Cooke.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 02:51 PM
  #35
td_ice
Peter shows the way
 
td_ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,029
vCash: 500
I don't loathe Armstrong, but I love Cooke. For me, in all the years I have been watching Pen's hockey, Cooke has been the most consistent role player I have witnessed wearing our logo. What he does a lot of guys can do. But few do it at nearly every game basis. Cooke provides his role game in and game out.

Armstrong, would disappear for long stretches at a time. As in 5 games here, maybe 10 game there.

td_ice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 02:51 PM
  #36
cassius
Registered User
 
cassius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,466
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I'm a huge fan of bringing Armstrong back if he comes around the 1.0-1.5 range and it is for the 3rd line because Cooke signs somewhere else for 2.0+


That's such a reach and optimistic view, it's not even funny. But if those are the conditions, sign me up.
Agreed - Armstrong would be a great 3rd liner for the Pens especially at that cap hit. He plays hard every shift and he could definitely step right in and fill in if Matt Cooke opts to sign with another team.

cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 02:59 PM
  #37
redsono93
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 658
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensRock View Post
I would have to consider that as well. He only has one year left on his contract, which will hopefully serve as a bridge for the young guys to play in 2011-12. It is doubtful that either Leopold or Eaton would take a one year contract.

Sopel + Versteeg --> 2001 2nd Round Pick is a no-brainer for me ... which tells me that it will never happen.
How can we get Versteeg, Ladd, and Sopel. 2010 1st round pick Jefferys, and maybe Lovejoy? We wouldn't need Whitney and could spend the money on defense.
Just a suggestion.

redsono93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 03:07 PM
  #38
Merc29
Sid ney Cr os by
 
Merc29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Minot, ND
Country: United States
Posts: 2,236
vCash: 500
This line-up is pretty similar to most but on paper it looks very deadly and it all works according to capgeek.

Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / * Versteeg ($3.038m)
* Whitney ($2.500m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / Pascal Dupuis ($1.400m)
Eric Tangradi ($0.846m) / Jordan Staal ($4.000m) / Tyler Kennedy ($0.725m)
Michael Rupp ($0.825m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.050m) / Eric Godard ($0.750m)
Craig Adams ($0.550m)

Brooks Orpik ($3.750m) / Kristopher Letang ($3.500m)
* Michalek ($1.750m) / Alex Goligoski ($1.833m)
* Sopel ($2.333m) / * Mark Eaton ($2.450m)

Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m) / Brent Johnson ($0.600m)
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
ROSTER: 21; CAP:$58.8m; PAYROLL: $58.025m; CAP ROOM: $0.912m BONUSES: $0.138m

With Whitney, Michalek, and Eaton all +/- .250 million

Merc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 03:18 PM
  #39
redsono93
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 658
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc29 View Post
This line-up is pretty similar to most but on paper it looks very deadly and it all works according to capgeek.

Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / * Versteeg ($3.038m)
* Whitney ($2.500m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / Pascal Dupuis ($1.400m)
Eric Tangradi ($0.846m) / Jordan Staal ($4.000m) / Tyler Kennedy ($0.725m)
Michael Rupp ($0.825m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.050m) / Eric Godard ($0.750m)
Craig Adams ($0.550m)

Brooks Orpik ($3.750m) / Kristopher Letang ($3.500m)
* Michalek ($1.750m) / Alex Goligoski ($1.833m)
* Sopel ($2.333m) / * Mark Eaton ($2.450m)

Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m) / Brent Johnson ($0.600m)
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
ROSTER: 21; CAP:$58.8m; PAYROLL: $58.025m; CAP ROOM: $0.912m BONUSES: $0.138m

With Whitney, Michalek, and Eaton all +/- .250 million
Could we trade Dupis and Talbot in the Versteeg/Sopel deal? Pick up Zherdev at say 2.5 put him on Malkin's RW. Trade Godard and bring in Konopka who is a fighter but also awesome at face off's. 4th line Adams Konopka Rupp awesome line. Maybe let Eaton walk and sign Foster who is cheaper with Sopel as the 3rd pairing. Foster had 42pts on a bad Tampa team. Otherwise I really like this team you made

redsono93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 03:32 PM
  #40
UnderratedBrooks44
Registered User
 
UnderratedBrooks44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Miranda's house
Posts: 12,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc29 View Post
This line-up is pretty similar to most but on paper it looks very deadly and it all works according to capgeek.

Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / * Versteeg ($3.038m)
* Whitney ($2.500m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / Pascal Dupuis ($1.400m)
Eric Tangradi ($0.846m) / Jordan Staal ($4.000m) / Tyler Kennedy ($0.725m)
Michael Rupp ($0.825m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.050m) / Eric Godard ($0.750m)
Craig Adams ($0.550m)

Brooks Orpik ($3.750m) / Kristopher Letang ($3.500m)
* Michalek ($1.750m) / Alex Goligoski ($1.833m)
* Sopel ($2.333m) / * Mark Eaton ($2.450m)

Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m) / Brent Johnson ($0.600m)
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
ROSTER: 21; CAP:$58.8m; PAYROLL: $58.025m; CAP ROOM: $0.912m BONUSES: $0.138m

With Whitney, Michalek, and Eaton all +/- .250 million
It's not exactly how I'd draw it up but more or less it doesn't look any worse than most.

EDIT: Whoa whoa whoa, you have Michalek making $1.75??? he'll make double that in my opinion, at least.


Last edited by UnderratedBrooks44: 06-20-2010 at 03:37 PM.
UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 03:33 PM
  #41
AgentM
Registered User
 
AgentM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Allison Park, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc29 View Post
This line-up is pretty similar to most but on paper it looks very deadly and it all works according to capgeek.

Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / * Versteeg ($3.038m)
* Whitney ($2.500m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / Pascal Dupuis ($1.400m)
Eric Tangradi ($0.846m) / Jordan Staal ($4.000m) / Tyler Kennedy ($0.725m)
Michael Rupp ($0.825m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.050m) / Eric Godard ($0.750m)
Craig Adams ($0.550m)

Brooks Orpik ($3.750m) / Kristopher Letang ($3.500m)
* Michalek ($1.750m) / Alex Goligoski ($1.833m)
* Sopel ($2.333m) / * Mark Eaton ($2.450m)

Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m) / Brent Johnson ($0.600m)
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
ROSTER: 21; CAP:$58.8m; PAYROLL: $58.025m; CAP ROOM: $0.912m BONUSES: $0.138m

With Whitney, Michalek, and Eaton all +/- .250 million
I don't see Whitney or Michalek signing for amounts that low. It would be nice, but a bit too optimistic I'm afraid.

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 03:46 PM
  #42
Ugene Malkin
****!
 
Ugene Malkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 20,562
vCash: 500
I think you would have to choose on either Whitney, or Versteeg. This is my reasoning, Look closely at the top six after plugging both in the top six.

Kunitz 6'0" 193lbs, Crosby 5'11" 200lbs, Versteeg 5'10" 182lbs

Whitney 5'10" 180lbs, Malkin 6'3" 195, Dupuis 6'1" 205lbs

Do you notice the "sofftness" this would bring?

They need someone with some size added to the group to go along with one of them.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 03:50 PM
  #43
Jacob
Registered User
 
Jacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 25,040
vCash: 500
Whitney still appears to be a serviceable player, but man is he getting up there in age. A two year deal? I'm not sure about that. Price and term being equal, I might even prefer Kariya.

I think this team should be effectively done with trying to sign old guys aside from the ones they've already got (Gonch, Cooke perhaps), or in the event of extreme bargains. Their veteran intangibles are meaningless now that the team's young core has taken the reigns on the ice and in the locker room. All you end up with is a semi-productive stop-gap or a plodding, huffing has-been that you can't waive or trade.

And I don't know what Whitney's going to do for our powerplay. Sure, he's a right-handed shot, but he isn't the front-net presence that our powerplay has lacked since Malone left. Put Malkin, Crosby and Whitney up front and you're still going to get a lot of outside shots and absolutely no second and third chances. Same as the past two years. What the powerplay needs more than anything is for Staal to become that front-net guy he can be.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 03:51 PM
  #44
UnderratedBrooks44
Registered User
 
UnderratedBrooks44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Miranda's house
Posts: 12,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by odds View Post
I think you would have to choose on either Whitney, or Versteeg. This is my reasoning, Look closely at the top six after plugging both in the top six.

Kunitz 6'0" 193lbs, Crosby 5'11" 200lbs, Versteeg 5'10" 182lbs

Whitney 5'10" 180lbs, Malkin 6'3" 195, Dupuis 6'1" 205lbs

Do you notice the "sofftness" this would bring?

They need someone with some size added to the group to go along with one of them.
I don't think so. We have Kunitz. All the Hawks had in that department was Byguflien. Yeah in a perfect world I'd love to have every line look like the old Malone/Malkin/Sykora line but it's really hard to do. Plus I think people are way too hell bent on having grit on the top two lines. Yeah it's nice and depending on the mix of players it can be better, but it's not 100% necessary. If you have 3 guys who can skate and dish to each other and be creative they can be an incredibly potent line without any muscle.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 03:53 PM
  #45
UnderratedBrooks44
Registered User
 
UnderratedBrooks44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Miranda's house
Posts: 12,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Whitney still appears to be a serviceable player, but man is he getting up there in age. A two year deal? I'm not sure about that. Price and term being equal, I might even prefer Kariya.

I think this team should be effectively done with trying to sign old guys aside from the ones they've already got (Gonch, Cooke perhaps), or in the event of extreme bargains. Their veteran intangibles are meaningless now that the team's young core has taken the reigns on the ice and in the locker room. All you end up with is a semi-productive stop-gap or a plodding, huffing has-been that you can't waive or trade.

And I don't know what Whitney's going to do for our powerplay. Sure, he's a right-handed shot, but he isn't the front-net presence that our powerplay has lacked since Malone left. Put Malkin, Crosby and Whitney up front and you're still going to get a lot of outside shots and absolutely no second and third chances. Same as the past two years. What the powerplay needs more than anything is for Staal to become that front-net guy he can be.
No I don't think they should just stop doing it entirely. Youth = More salary. Stop gap measures are what we need to stay under the cap. Can't have everything.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 04:01 PM
  #46
AgentM
Registered User
 
AgentM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Allison Park, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by odds View Post
I think you would have to choose on either Whitney, or Versteeg. This is my reasoning, Look closely at the top six after plugging both in the top six.

Kunitz 6'0" 193lbs, Crosby 5'11" 200lbs, Versteeg 5'10" 182lbs

Whitney 5'10" 180lbs, Malkin 6'3" 195, Dupuis 6'1" 205lbs

Do you notice the "sofftness" this would bring?

They need someone with some size added to the group to go along with one of them.
Heck I don't think we can have both in our top 6 because we can't afford two wingers making $3m+, especially when we need to improve our defense. Last year we were cap strapped with Guerin and Fedotenko taking paycuts, how can we afford all of these new wings?

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 04:04 PM
  #47
UnderratedBrooks44
Registered User
 
UnderratedBrooks44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Miranda's house
Posts: 12,726
vCash: 500
This was touched on earlier by others, but how many would support something like this if it was possible: Trading Kunitz if a Versteeg/Sharp type combo was possible to acquire? I would certainly make the change. Yeah yeah you don't have the grit but that can be had sans a little bit of skill someone like Kunitz would have.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 04:04 PM
  #48
wej20
Registered User
 
wej20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Swansea,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 20,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by odds View Post
I think you would have to choose on either Whitney, or Versteeg. This is my reasoning, Look closely at the top six after plugging both in the top six.

Kunitz 6'0" 193lbs, Crosby 5'11" 200lbs, Versteeg 5'10" 182lbs

Whitney 5'10" 180lbs, Malkin 6'3" 195, Dupuis 6'1" 205lbs

Do you notice the "sofftness" this would bring?

They need someone with some size added to the group to go along with one of them.

well Ideally Tangradi would take Dupuis spot but it wasn't like we had a tough top 6 last year.

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 04:04 PM
  #49
Ziggyjoe21
Registered User
 
Ziggyjoe21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Pitt
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 7,214
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
With a 2 year deal, Whitney will turn into a Guerin really fast.

Ziggyjoe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 04:16 PM
  #50
jdpitt05
Registered User
 
jdpitt05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 1,772
vCash: 500
I think we can only afford 1 decent winger, if we get a Versteeg and Whitney the defense will suffer. We have to roll with Kunitz, Tangradi, 1 decent 3m~ UFA winger, and someone cheap.

Kunitz-Crosby-Tangradi
Whitney-Malkin-Grinder or Hope for Afinogenov type signing

jdpitt05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:45 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.