HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pens to go hard after Whitney

Old
06-20-2010, 07:45 PM
JTG

vCash: 500
This isn't shocking. If we lose Sarge, Whitney helps our powerplay tremendously.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 07:47 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegenerel View Post
if the pens entered the season with kunitz, whitney, and tangradi + talbot/dupuis/etc in the top 6....it really wouldnt be too bad.
Don't forget. Tangradi MAY not be ready, and Kunitz too may not be ready for the start of the season due to his injury.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 07:49 PM
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
The fact of the matter is that there's nothing else in UFA that looks even half as good for around 3 mil per.

Speedy, great offensive sense, hands, RH shot, playoff productive...he fits virtually everything we need in a forward save the size and grit necessary for screening the goalie on the PP.
I'm not debating the fact that he's a good player. I'm questioning how long he'll be able to keep up his current level of play.

Ziggyjoe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 08:13 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Spreadin Cheer;Mumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggyjoe21 View Post
I'm not debating the fact that he's a good player. I'm questioning how long he'll be able to keep up his current level of play.
Even if he loses some moxie (which he's shown no sign of), he'll still be better than most other options.

It would have to be a precipitous fall to make his signing not worth it, and I don't think the brain will drop out of his head any time soon.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 08:28 PM
angelgirl77

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
Sykora was what, 31? Feds was 31 as well I think. Speed and agility is the issue and/or not having enough facets to your game. Whitney has those things. Gonchar doesn't even come into the conversation. He's still a very good player. Plus with the cap do you really think any team, let alone a team like us, is going to be able to field a 29 and under team? Accept the fact that we're never going to have the perfect lineup.

I never said anything about a team 29 and under..and if feds and sykora lost it at 31, which I don't consider over the hill yet, what makes you think that he can't lose it rapidly at age 38? he can be great one day...and then a useless bag of crap the next, then we are stuck with his contract.

angelgirl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 09:13 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelgirl77 View Post
I never said anything about a team 29 and under..and if feds and sykora lost it at 31, which I don't consider over the hill yet, what makes you think that he can't lose it rapidly at age 38? he can be great one day...and then a useless bag of crap the next, then we are stuck with his contract.
Because they're different players. If they were even the same types of players that would be one thing but they're not the same. Whitney is twice as good as Feds or Sykora and probably combined if you look at their careers. I just don't get why people insist on comparing one player to another when they have little to no similarities.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 09:28 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelgirl77 View Post
Sykora has been a one trick pony his entire career... In Edmonton he was skating like ass and basically just scored goals, but little else. Ask any Oilers fan... in fact, tons of them came onto this very board to warn us about how slow he was after the Pens signed him.

Feds has always been inconsistent. What exactly did he lose? He has never been a very good player, except for having 2 good playoffs.

Whitney creates on his own; he doesn't leach off other players like Feds and Sykora, and rely on a Crosby/Malkin for offense. He has unreal lateral skating and puck control, plus sick hockey sense; none of that is going anywhere anytime soon.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 09:40 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

just the fact that he can set up plays on his own makes him a must sign IMO.

imagine having someone who can actually create and leave sid/geno wide open for a change.....oh its too perfect, lets hope he doesn't want to re-sign in carolina for the simple fact he wants to come here and wants to see our offer.

OnMyOwn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 09:47 PM
SarahCrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat Birth Control View Post
Come on Ray, sign the other Ray.
player Ray is old, so I'm guessing our Ray will probably sign him.

I think it is Shero's quest to turn the 2nd youngest team in the nhl in terms of average age from 4 years ago into the nhl's oldest team by the time we play in the new digs...

SarahCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 09:57 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

The oldest player currently under contract is the backup goaltender at the ripe old age of 33.

BlindWillyMcHurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 10:04 PM
PKV Jungle Friends
Gonna Be a Gas...

We need the following people back:

1. Recchi - how about one more time, old sweetness?

2. Billy G - big, brash and brings a big bag of knuckles to the front of the net. (oops offsides...)

3. Satan - his name is on the Cup, I'll have you know!

4. Army - why not? Give the rabble what they want and Sid can have his bestest buddy back!

5. Use the rest of the money to re-sign Gonchar and Cooke.

Kunitz-Sid-Recchi
Satan-Geno-Billy G
Cooke-Staal-TFK
Adams-Max-Army

Done and done...

PKV Jungle Friends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 10:09 PM
Ziggyjoe21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
Even if he loses some moxie (which he's shown no sign of), he'll still be better than most other options.

It would have to be a precipitous fall to make his signing not worth it, and I don't think the brain will drop out of his head any time soon.
I'm not sure what you mean by "moxie".

It's not a question of his brain. It's a question of him being physically able to keep up and play hockey at a high level at an old age.

Shero's walking a tight rope with this one, as he was with Guerin, Roberts (remember how these 2 ended up?), and potentially Gonchar and Whitney.

Old
06-20-2010, 10:14 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:

It's not a question of his brain. It's a question of him being physically able to keep up and play hockey at a high level at an old age.

Shero's walking a tight rope with this one, as he was with Guerin, Roberts (remember how these 2 ended up?), and potentially Gonchar and Whitney.
They're all....different.....players......what is so hard about this?

Old
06-20-2010, 10:20 PM
Ziggyjoe21

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
They're all....different.....players......what is so hard about this?
They're still athletes, doesn't matter what "type" of player they are. Gretzky wasn't the most physically gifted player, yet old age took his skills away in his late 30s.

Old
06-20-2010, 10:28 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
They're still athletes, doesn't matter what "type" of player they are. Gretzky wasn't the most physically gifted player, yet old age took his skills away in his late 30s.
Whitney has been underrated his whole career, kind of like Jimmy Carson back in the day. He's always been solid but doesn't have a cool-sounding name or score highlight reel goals. He can still move (already a much different story than any of these other guys), can pass well, and understands how to play with other good players. He'd be a fine acquisition and a million times smarter choice than some of these bums that would come cheap but are has-beens (Tanguay) or never-was's (Higgins). The only guy I could see arguing for is Afinogenov if you want to save a few bucks and you're as worried as you are about Whitney's age. Other than that it's Whitney all the way.

Old
06-20-2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Guerin hasn't had much speed for a while but has still been productive, because he has size and because he doesn't need to get to the high slot at breakneck speed..

As we've seen with a number of players, the wheels can come off fast, seemingly overnight, and when Whitney's do he's going to be less effective than Guerin at his worst.
Its going to be funny when Billy G has an OK season playing for another team.... just like Rex.

I like a move for Whitney because he'll really boost the Pens PP. 5 on 5 I think he'll be bashed just like Rex and Billy G. I'm not totally against a move to get him but I think the bucks could be put to better use.

I'm still holding out for Marleau and I would mind seeing him around long term. Plus he's a better skater now than Rex, Billy G or whitney ever were so when he's 38 he shouldn't be skating like a 38 YO.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 10:39 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Spreadin Cheer;Mumps

Quote:

It can happen as players age. But there are any number of examples of skill players (read: not ones who rely heavily on physical play to succeed) who played very well into their late 30s.

In the end, we need to evaluate players on a case-by-case basis, and there's little in Whitney's game to suggest he's on the decline.

Given his positives and his likely contract demands, there really aren't any better fits out there for a team like ours, with so much money wrapped up in a relatively small group of young core players.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 10:45 PM
KGpens

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
Its going to be funny when Billy G has an OK season playing for another team.... just like Rex.

I like a move for Whitney because he'll really boost the Pens PP. 5 on 5 I think he'll be bashed just like Rex and Billy G. I'm not totally against a move to get him but I think the bucks could be put to better use.

I'm still holding out for Marleau and I would mind seeing him around long term. Plus he's a better skater now than Rex, Billy G or whitney ever were so when he's 38 he shouldn't be skating like a 38 YO.
Do you think there is any chance the Pens sign Marleau? I don't see how that is possible cap wise. I doubt they even call his agent come July 1...Think lesser scale, this way you're not upset when they don't sign the big names. Think Whitney, Demitra, Kariya, Armstrong, Frolov, Lombardi etc...Pens will use Gonchar's money, either on him, or a replacement (Volchenkov, Michael) in my opinion...

KGpens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGpens View Post
Do you think there is any chance the Pens sign Marleau? I don't see how that is possible cap wise. I doubt they even call his agent come July 1...Think lesser scale, this way you're not upset when they don't sign the big names. Think Whitney, Demitra, Kariya, Armstrong, Frolov, Lombardi etc...Pens will use Gonchar's money, either on him, or a replacement (Volchenkov, Michael) in my opinion...
I think the Pens can work out a Hossa type deal for him. I know the Pens have a few holes to fill but I would be OK starting the season with some holes if it means that Marleau is in the Pens top 6. Plus that pushes Kunitz down to play with Malkin. I think the best Malkin looked all last year was when he was between Billy G and Kunitz for a short time.

I'm also hoping that one of the kids can find their way into the line up. They have to get their chance sometime.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 11:34 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post

It doesn't matter how many goals Recchi or Guerin scores w/ other teams. It's how they play every other part of the game. Recchi and Satan could score 30 goals each for Boston next season and it just won't matter. They don't bring what you need in the postseason.

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 12:26 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
It doesn't matter how many goals Recchi or Guerin scores w/ other teams. It's how they play every other part of the game. Recchi and Satan could score 30 goals each for Boston next season and it just won't matter. They don't bring what you need in the postseason.
If you use them right they do, as Boston did. They were key contributors, I hope you're not trying to downplay the impact they had. Boston choking like mad had nothing to do with those guys, who played above and beyond their roles.

Old
06-21-2010, 12:32 AM
cynic*

Send a message via Yahoo to cynic*
well,a positive about signing Whitney is that this means Guerin is not coming back...

cynic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 12:43 AM
Giant Yankee Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGpens View Post
I fit him in... and I love this lineup.

FORWARDS
* Patrick Marleau ($5.000m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Pascal Dupuis ($1.400m)
Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / Eric Tangradi ($0.846m)
Maxime Talbot ($1.050m) / Jordan Staal ($4.000m) / Tyler Kennedy ($0.725m)
Michael Rupp ($0.825m) / Mark Letestu ($0.500m) / Craig Adams ($0.550m)
Eric Godard ($0.750m)
DEFENSEMEN
Brooks Orpik ($3.750m) / Kristopher Letang ($3.500m)
* Zbynek Michalek ($3.750m) / Alex Goligoski ($1.833m)
* Mark Eaton ($1.750m) / * Ben Lovejoy ($0.500m)
* Freddy Meyer/Vet ($0.500m)
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m) / Brent Johnson ($0.600m)
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
ROSTER: 22; CAP:$58.8m; PAYROLL: $57.954m; CAP ROOM: $0.983m BONUSES: $0.138m

Or Stack the top 6:

FORWARDS
* Patrick Marleau ($5.000m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Eric Tangradi ($0.846m)
Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Jordan Staal ($4.000m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m)
Pascal Dupuis ($1.400m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.050m) / Tyler Kennedy ($0.725m)
Eric Godard ($0.750m)
DEFENSEMEN
GOALTENDERS
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

I doubt they do this but man would it be awesome to have three 40 goal scorers

Giant Yankee Pens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 12:50 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jags68 View Post
I fit him in... and I love this lineup.

FORWARDS
* Patrick Marleau ($5.000m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Pascal Dupuis ($1.400m)
Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / Eric Tangradi ($0.846m)
Maxime Talbot ($1.050m) / Jordan Staal ($4.000m) / Tyler Kennedy ($0.725m)
Eric Godard ($0.750m)
DEFENSEMEN
GOALTENDERS
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

Or Stack the top 6:

FORWARDS
* Patrick Marleau ($5.000m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Eric Tangradi ($0.846m)
Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Jordan Staal ($4.000m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m)
Pascal Dupuis ($1.400m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.050m) / Tyler Kennedy ($0.725m)
Eric Godard ($0.750m)
DEFENSEMEN
GOALTENDERS
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

I doubt they do this but man would it be awesome to have three 40 goal scorers
Don't take this personally, but I don't think people realize Marleau made $6.3 million this past year. I highly doubt he's taking a pay cut based on the season he had unless it's on a long-term deal, and even still it won't be down to $5 million. Why not split up the $5 million amongst a couple nice wingers? You could also nab one decent winger and put the rest of the cash towards an upgrade over Eaton.

Old
06-21-2010, 02:38 AM
jeremywilhelm

Dear lord, people WANT Sopel? He is slow, can't pass, has pretty poor decision making skills, and is horribly over paid.

He can block shots, that is pretty much his only worth.

Jay Mckee is a better defenseman than him.

jeremywilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote