HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Zach Parise's comments to the USA Juniors that Canada wins too much

Old
06-18-2010, 09:39 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

vCash: 500
Zach Parise's comments to the USA Juniors that Canada wins too much

I realize Zach Parise said these comments a while back but I wasn't a member here to post this, so please forgive me in advance. Anway before the Canada/USA Gold Medal game it was reported that Zach Parise sent a letter or called the Americans to give them some motivation by saying he was sick of seeing Canada always win, well was he right for saying that? I mean if a Canadian athlete had said he was sick of seeing the Americans wins at Baseball or Basketball chances are they would be flamed, so why is it that he has a problem that Canada is actually better at something then the Americans? I mean it's our game that we invented so what's wrong with us always winning?

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 10:11 PM
usahockey22flyers
Classic Coburn...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeafsFan2010 View Post
I realize Zach Parise said these comments a while back but I wasn't a member here to post this, so please forgive me in advance. Anway before the Canada/USA Gold Medal game it was reported that Zach Parise sent a letter or called the Americans to give them some motivation by saying he was sick of seeing Canada always win, well was he right for saying that? I mean if a Canadian athlete had said he was sick of seeing the Americans wins at Baseball or Basketball chances are they would be flamed, so why is it that he has a problem that Canada is actually better at something then the Americans? I mean it's our game that we invented so what's wrong with us always winning?
I Disagree with the Canadian athlete thing, they would not be flamed, America is just really good at sports easy as that. And were America, we expect to win everything, even hockey

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 10:13 PM
Klaus
Teemu!

vCash: 801

Nah, really, he was probably just trying to get the American team excited, no harm done.

Last edited by Klaus: 06-18-2010 at 11:45 PM.
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 10:18 PM
William H Bonney

What's wrong with it? It's not like he said Canada is undeserving of their success just that he wants to see his country succeed as well.

06-18-2010, 11:09 PM
Briere Up There*

How dare he want his country to win rather than Canada.

Grow up, it's nothing.

Briere Up There* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 08:01 AM
lucscaps

I'm a canadian, and I'm a parise fan.

But I see no reason why someone who has been there and done it for the wjc team and won the gold to call/email or whatever to the team to give them some words of encouragement. That's what you want you want to hear.

Canadian NHL's do it all the time for the canadian wjc team. You always hear about a past player calling during an intermission to fire up the team.

lucscaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 10:13 AM
usahockey22flyers
Classic Coburn...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucscaps View Post
I'm a canadian, and I'm a parise fan.

But I see no reason why someone who has been there and done it for the wjc team and won the gold to call/email or whatever to the team to give them some words of encouragement. That's what you want you want to hear.

Canadian NHL's do it all the time for the canadian wjc team. You always hear about a past player calling during an intermission to fire up the team.

Thats awesome, players do that? Us Americans wouldn't know for the most part because the only World Juniors coverage we have is the actual game telacast and maybe some NHL on the Fly spotlight. The WJC have never made it on ESPN highlights besides Carlson getting #1 on the top 10 plays the day after he scored the "goal"

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 11:55 AM
joe89

Invented and invented, I believe Euros(or more precisely Brits) brought the actual game overseas and Canadians refined it. Not like it matters much in this discussion.

You always want to beat the teams that state they're the best or are currently the best, i.e. Canada atm(and Sovjet back in the days). Just like every tennis player wants to beat Roger Federer and might be fed up with watching him win over and over again, other hockey nations want to beat Canada. It's just the way sport works.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 03:32 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

Well what do you think his father thought of his comments since he is a Canadian and played on the 1972 Summit Series team.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 03:39 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeafsFan2010 View Post
Well what do you think his father thought of his comments since he is a Canadian and played on the 1972 Summit Series team.
Really? Why would he care? But if Parise's comments bothered you I'm sure these will too:

Quote:
"It was just like almost scary all the time," JP Parise said of watching his son play in such a crucial game. "(Canada) is a good team. I should say they have good players. But I would say we had a better team." There's that "we" again, and it's music to Zach Parise's ears. "He's a U.S. citizen now. Both my brother (Jordan) and I were born in the United States," Zach Parise said. "If Canada's playing someone else, he's cheering for Canada for sure. But if they're playing the U.S., and I'm on the team, then he better be cheering for us. But no, it's fine, it's not as if we take jabs at each other or anything; he's definitely for the U.S."
http://m.desmoinesregister.com/news....y=606639&rc=sp

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 09:58 PM
Nakawick

Teams get motivational calls/letters/emails all the time, what is the big deal?

Nakawick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 09:13 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRogerRoeper View Post
How dare he want his country to win rather than Canada.

Grow up, it's nothing.
Hope J-P reminded him what his roots are

JordanStaal#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 10:38 PM
therealdeal

This is honestly such a non-issue its insane.

therealdeal is offline   Reply With Quote