HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers re-sign Kris Newbury

Old
06-17-2010, 12:13 PM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
he is a waste. Owens is a legit prospect and was traded because the Pack had no centers down the stretch. Not to be a wise guy but he is no where near a Mcphee.
Don't know what the point is getting so pissed off about that analogy. Look it--I know McPhee beat some legit goons--overall he was 4th line material--a guy who played with grit and heart. Prust is another. Newbury is pretty much in that same kind of category--just maybe not as good with his fists. It's not the be all and end all. Organizationally it's a good signing IMO.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 12:13 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Ugh. I keep checking in and seeing a thread with the red "confirmed with link" prefix near the top of the threads, getting excited that the team may have made some move... and then realizing that it's just someone else making a snarky comment about this same depth/AHL leadership transaction. Would you people please bumping this to the top with meaningless snarky comments about a logical, but minor move by the team?

Wait, I just did it myself, didn't I?

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 12:22 PM
SaveByLundqvist

Kris Newbury come hoist the Stanley Cup!

SaveByLundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 05:33 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
OK nice.

Why is it Sather can announce this and is mum on the Wisconsin boys?

Because Newbury is already pro?

I hope his nickname isnt Newb.
Because of the NCAA, or because Newbury, like you said, is already pro. Either or.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 05:34 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
he is a waste. Owens is a legit prospect and was traded because the Pack had no centers down the stretch. Not to be a wise guy but he is no where near a Mcphee.
I'll be very surprised if Owens does much more than Newbury does in the NHL.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 05:54 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Don't know what the point is getting so pissed off about that analogy. Look it--I know McPhee beat some legit goons--overall he was 4th line material--a guy who played with grit and heart. Prust is another. Newbury is pretty much in that same kind of category--just maybe not as good with his fists. It's not the be all and end all. Organizationally it's a good signing IMO.
I was not pissed off just don't like when people make general statements about players. He is like so and so. Newbury is AHL Lifer and will never have the career George had with his fist or talent. George also was a close friend while he played in NY so i am protective sorry man.

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 07:17 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
I was not pissed off just don't like when people make general statements about players. He is like so and so. Newbury is AHL Lifer and will never have the career George had with his fist or talent. George also was a close friend while he played in NY so i am protective sorry man.
I understand where you coming from but to be honest George's NHL career never really got off the ground and IMO it's most probably because of his fighting--he was always getting injured punching out other players. It was a very shortened career in any case. He did have enough skill to stick just on its own. Newbury's been up and down a few times. He's a battler and a more likely fill in NHL'er than Corey Locke. I prefer grittier teams and Newbury fits that role even if he's just an AHL'er.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 07:21 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
I understand where you coming from but to be honest George's NHL career never really got off the ground and IMO it's most probably because of his fighting--he was always getting injured punching out other players. It was a very shortened career in any case. He did have enough skill to stick just on its own. Newbury's been up and down a few times. He's a battler and a more likely fill in NHL'er than Corey Locke. I prefer grittier teams and Newbury fits that role even if he's just an AHL'er.

I totally agree would rather see him the Locke any day.

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 11:42 PM
Garfinkel1

Someones gotta stick up for Grachev and MZA (jk about that one.. I hope )

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 05:26 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Capgeek posted the Newbury contract info on Saturday. He got a 2 year contract. 2 way. $512,500 NHL cap number/$250,000 AHL. $500,000 and $525,000 NHL salaries. 2nd highest paid AHL player

http://www.capgeek.com/leaders.php?type=AHL%20SALARY

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 05:46 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Capgeek posted the Newbury contract info on Saturday. He got a 2 year contract. 2 way. $512,500 NHL cap number/$250,000 AHL. $500,000 and $525,000 NHL salaries. 2nd highest paid AHL player

anyone think Newbury will be the Pack captain when Byers make the team out of camp this year ???

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 06:07 AM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post

That is a nice salary to play in the AHL. I don't think the Rangers have any intention on Newbury playing for the NHL squad at any point in the next two years. They must have liked what they saw from him last year after we got him. In my opinion they are paying him $250,000 to be a good presence/influence for the young players that come through the Pack the next two years. Solid investment if he keeps the locker room in order down there and acts as a mentor to our young players. Especially with Stepan and Grachev both potentially playing down there this season.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 06:30 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
That is a nice salary to play in the AHL. I don't think the Rangers have any intention on Newbury playing for the NHL squad at any point in the next two years. They must have liked what they saw from him last year after we got him. In my opinion they are paying him $250,000 to be a good presence/influence for the young players that come through the Pack the next two years. Solid investment if he keeps the locker room in order down there and acts as a mentor to our young players. Especially with Stepan and Grachev both potentially playing down there this season.
the only reason i see Newbury making the Rangers is if alot of injuries happen during the year or he replaces Voros as the healthy scratch/14th forward with Byers Prust and Shelly as the 4th line.

Old
06-21-2010, 06:47 AM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
the only reason i see Newbury making the Rangers is if alot of injuries happen during the year or he replaces Voros as the healthy scratch/14th forward with Byers Prust and Shelly as the 4th line.
Agreed. I am kinda surprised we haven't re-signed Shelley yet. I can't imagine that would be very difficult. He seemed to want to stay and the team seemed to want him back.

God help us if Sather isn't re-signing Shelley cause he wants to see if he can get George Laraque in free agency. His old Edmonton tough guy. I think my head would explode.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 07:51 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Yup - completely agreed. First thing I thought of when I saw RB's post about the salary.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 12:29 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Agreed. I am kinda surprised we haven't re-signed Shelley yet. I can't imagine that would be very difficult. He seemed to want to stay and the team seemed to want him back.

God help us if Sather isn't re-signing Shelley cause he wants to see if he can get George Laraque in free agency. His old Edmonton tough guy. I think my head would explode.
id break my television if that happened

Old
06-22-2010, 12:31 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:

id love if boyle got traded for a draft pick just to resign shelley. boyle isnt very good