HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Top 5 Ranger Assets Most Likely to Be Traded

Old
06-21-2010, 09:18 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

vCash: 500
Top 5 Ranger Assets Most Likely to Be Traded

So, due to the poor UFA class (now compounded by reports that the Sharks want to re-sign Marleau, the Habs want to re-sign Plekanec and the Flyers obviously want to re-sign the newly acquired Hamhuis), many analysts are speculating that this should be one of the busiest offseasons for trades in recent memory. With that said (and with not much to do until Friday), I thought I'd start a thread to see what everyone thinks are the top 5 assets (players, prospects, picks, studio hosts, whatever) that the Rangers might move in the coming weeks. Here are mine, in order of likelihood, plus rationale for each:

1) Gilroy. For a whole host of reasons. He didn't do well last year, we have a glut of defensive prospects, his contract is up at the end of this year, he's only one year away from a bidding war where half the league was after him. I will be truly surprised if he is a Ranger next year.
2) The #10 pick. With everyone talking trade and with so many interesting players out there, there are any number of scenarios where the Rangers would trade up or down.
3) Sanguinetti. This is kind of an either/or with Gilroy as I don't see both of them moving, but a) they're somewhat redundant players and b) it's time for Sangs to step up to the NHL - so if Gilroy doesn't go, then I'm almost positive that Sangs will. Personally, I'd much rather keep Sangs, but it comes down to the front office's evaluation of its own players and of course what the trade market is for each.
4) Dubinsky. Everybody seems to want him. He's our best trading asset. In the event that we make a move for a significant player, particularly a forward, there's a good chance he's in the deal.
5) Rozsival. I actually think that the team wants to keep him - his play is back to top form and I believe he's now earning his contract. However, he does earn a lot of money and the $10MM in cap dollars vs. $7MM in real dollars over the next two years could be very tempting to a team looking to save costs.

What're everyone else's thoughts?

(Note: I firmly believe that Brashear will get moved, but my guess is that it will be a problem for problem swap and that he will in no way, shape or form become an asset to the team, so I didn't include him on my list.)

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 09:47 AM
mjolnir13

Roszival is not an asset -- he should have been dumped with the other tourist.

mjolnir13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 09:49 AM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

Girardi would fetch a nice return... maybe in a package

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 09:53 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bojanglez View Post
Completely agreed. If I was to expand my list beyond five, he'd likely be number six.

Old
06-21-2010, 10:11 AM
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post

1) Gilroy. For a whole host of reasons. He didn't do well last year, we have a glut of defensive prospects, his contract is up at the end of this year, he's only one year away from a bidding war where half the league was after him. I will be truly surprised if he is a Ranger next year.
2) The #10 pick. With everyone talking trade and with so many interesting players out there, there are any number of scenarios where the Rangers would trade up or down.
3) Sanguinetti. This is kind of an either/or with Gilroy as I don't see both of them moving, but a) they're somewhat redundant players and b) it's time for Sangs to step up to the NHL - so if Gilroy doesn't go, then I'm almost positive that Sangs will. Personally, I'd much rather keep Sangs, but it comes down to the front office's evaluation of its own players and of course what the trade market is for each.
4) Dubinsky. Everybody seems to want him. He's our best trading asset. In the event that we make a move for a significant player, particularly a forward, there's a good chance he's in the deal.
5) Rozsival. I actually think that the team wants to keep him - his play is back to top form and I believe he's now earning his contract. However, he does earn a lot of money and the $10MM in cap dollars vs. $7MM in real dollars over the next two years could be very tempting to a team looking to save costs.
I think you're really only talking about Gilroy and Sanguinetti - and I don't know that either one is going to bring back a game-changer.

#10 pick - With the early depth of this draft, the #10 pick is uber-valuable and the Rangers could likely get an impact player at 10. I don't see them moving the pick.

Dubinsky - With his development, I don't see the Rangers trading him. He's heart and soul and he'll be a top 6, gritty forward for them...and if they didn't want to trade him for Heatley, who would they trade him for?

Rozy - and you might as well throw in Girardi in this conversation as well - not easy to trade either one because they play big minutes. They were #2 and #3 in total icetime on the Rangers with over 1,750 minutes (over 200 minutes more than the next player). They both can play on the PP and the PK and that kind of versatility is also key. If either one goes, then you have to bring in another minute-muncher on D because you can't expect Redden, DZ or Gilroy to make up the minutes.

Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 10:16 AM
FOXHOUND*

Here's my list of "touchables" as long as they bring back the right price (in no particular order):
grachev
mcdonaugh
sanguinetti
#10 (for moving up)
2011 1st
2011 2nd
Roszival
Gilroy
Werek
Bourque
Dubinsky

any and all of these should be on the block fir the right price

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 10:39 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Pretty much the same list I'd come up with. Personally, I'd like to see Gilroy moved before Sanguinetti.

I have this feeling that Sather isn't going to do much. Outside of those assets, we can't afford to give much, and there's likely to be a bidding war on just about everything.

I don't know if it makes sense to trade Dubinsky right now. He's probably our 2nd best winger and brings a decent amount of grit to the lineup.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 10:43 AM
FOXHOUND*

Pretty much the only trades i'd like them to make would be to either move up in the draft or for a #1 center. Other than that we should just stay the course.

Old
06-21-2010, 10:50 AM
Ian
Mike York fan club

Not sure why you'd trade Grachev now. After last year's semi-disappointing season with Hartford, he's worth far more to this team than any other, he'd be sold low.

Probably better off keeping Werek too until he's closer to the NHL/seeing what he has. His value could skyrocket if his skating improves even slightly. People have been clamoring for guys like Wheeler and Buff, he's our PWF prospect.

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 10:53 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXHOUND View Post
Pretty much the only trades i'd like them to make would be to either move up in the draft or for a #1 center. Other than that we should just stay the course.
Don't necessarily disagree. But if Sather does try to accomplish either of those goals, I think that the assets I mentioned plus perhaps Girardi or Grachev would have to be involved. (Much as I hate to say that about Evgeny, who is one of my two favorite prospects, but you have to give to get and with Kreider in the fold you can now afford to move him for the right player)

For example, I agree with Trjxw that as the team is currently constitued, Dubinsky isn't a guy you'd WANT to trade. However, if Boston suddenly reverses course and offers you the #2 (where you could take Seguin) or Pittsburgh decides to trade Malkin in order to convert his cap hit into multiple good players or something like that, well if the Rangers want to play, Dubi is most likely going to have to be in the package we offer. (And if Slats can pull it off WITHOUT including him, so much the better!)

Old
06-21-2010, 11:14 AM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Don't necessarily disagree. But if Sather does try to accomplish either of those goals, I think that the assets I mentioned plus perhaps Girardi or Grachev would have to be involved. (Much as I hate to say that about Evgeny, who is one of my two favorite prospects, but you have to give to get and with Kreider in the fold you can now afford to move him for the right player)

For example, I agree with Trjxw that as the team is currently constitued, Dubinsky isn't a guy you'd WANT to trade. However, if Boston suddenly reverses course and offers you the #2 (where you could take Seguin) or Pittsburgh decides to trade Malkin in order to convert his cap hit into multiple good players or something like that, well if the Rangers want to play, Dubi is most likely going to have to be in the package we offer. (And if Slats can pull it off WITHOUT including him, so much the better!)
Right, and I would add girardi to that touchables list of mine as well.

Old
06-21-2010, 11:39 AM
bizzydizzy*

There are so many teams desperate to dump salary (Chicago, Philly, Boston, Ottawa) I think a low end prospect and draft pick could fetch something nice this year. I read today that Washington has their ears open for a deal involving Semin. There is not much on our roster that I would not trade to get Semin.

bizzydizzy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 11:52 AM
drewcon40

Great thread. With the acquisition of Niemi and Valentenko coming over along with the other defenseman in the system and on the roster, it appears the Rangers can move a defenseman. I would love to hold on to (sign) McDonagh and hope the Rangers do as well. Dan Girardi and Michael Rozsival seem to be the likeliest to move. Girardi would net us a decent return, I think moving Rozsival requires us to take something undesirable back. Although many on the board disagree with me.

I think the roster will look a lot like it did at the close of 2009-10. We may see a center for Gaborik but wouldn't be shocked if Christiansen returned. I don't necessarily support this nor want to see the same team, just being realistic.

I also don't believe Redden will be sent to the minors. Sather has a long Ranger history of declaring Ranger success. (His first season he claimed the Rangers would have the most expensive minor league system if need be). His only action was the awkward treatment of John MacLean to the Manitoba Moose. BrooklynRangersFan had a great post. The Rangers may have to be a bit opportunistic and look for a team that has some cap issues (BlackHawks) and see if some younger talent can be moved for a superstar player. (I never thought of Malkin, but he or a Bobby Ryan).

drewcon40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 11:54 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

if you move grachev then you are moving him to someone based on potential and thus not maximizing his value. too early to bail on evgeny. with his size and skating, hes off the table.

gilroy isnt going to bring much back. same for sangs. no real value there. then again, nor sure if those 2 are in the plans for next year at all anyway. those 2 dont cost much so im inclined to say keep them rather than give them away

roster players have value, especially dan girardi. dan in a package with rozy would perhaps be of value but we would expect to have to take salary back in return and if so, we would be looking for some goals.

a deal could be built around those 2 i would think. especially if we sign mcd.

we would absolutely need to look at a vet/fa dman coming in if that happens as im not sold on matt gilroy playing top 4 minutes.

a package built around girardi or dubinsky and rozy, would be interesting. again, we would need a top 6 forward in return who has either fallen out of favor or has a so-so contract that a team is looking to unload.

we need goals. period.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 11:56 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Not sure who's looking for a Gilroy level player at a Gilroy price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bojanglez View Post
As an RFA or with a contract? The contract values that have been thrown around would scare off a lot of suitors IMO.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 12:03 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

please keep jason spezza in mind. hes young enough to build around and he would step right in to play with gaborik.

hes a 27 yr old righty #1 pivot whos available and has a decent contract. i believe 5mi per. the sens are looking to move him.

were we to somehow package players and swap #1 picks with them this year, we might be able to do a deal.

how could be do spezza and volchenkov both in a deal with the sens ?

perhaps, dubinsky and dan girardi and a third player ??? and swapping 1st round picks ??

thats a start but not nearly enough..... thoughts ?

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 12:17 PM
GaborikEqualsGod1995*

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
please keep jason spezza in mind. hes young enough to build around and he would step right in to play with gaborik.

hes a 27 yr old righty #1 pivot whos available and has a decent contract. i believe 5mi per. the sens are looking to move him.

were we to somehow package players and swap #1 picks with them this year, we might be able to do a deal.

perhaps, dubinsky and dan girardi and a third player ??? and swapping 1st round picks ??

He's making 7 mil....but the third player would be a top-tier prospect like Stepan/Kreider/Grachev.

GaborikEqualsGod1995* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 12:20 PM
drewcon40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Not sure who's looking for a Gilroy level player at a Gilroy price.

As an RFA or with a contract? The contract values that have been thrown around would scare off a lot of suitors IMO.
Excellent point, Melrose. I almost forgot he is due a raise. His status (whether under contract or not) obviously affects the return. It also raises the question now if there is value in letting him walk (cap space, opening up a roster spot - although he is still young).

drewcon40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 12:34 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

#1) Sanguinetti, he's a redundant part at this time. MDZ & Gilroy have been able to play in the bigs and Sauer, when healthy, is more capable of playing in the bigs.
#2) Rozsival, the Rangers have a young D looking to take the step up and Rozi salary drops to something tolerable. 3.5m a year for a real money first team, isn't a bad hit at all.
#3) McDonagh, the Rangers have a number of fine young defenders and if he's not going to sign, he's gone if they can get better than a #12 in the 2nd round.
#4) #2 Pick, If traded, Slats can get back to fishing sooner.
#5) #1 Pick, if traded with the #2 pick, Slats doesn't have to show up to the draft and can stay fishing and smoking cigars before he goes on a mad spending spree on OP free agents.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 12:38 PM
HockeyGuy1985*

Quote:
if you move grachev then you are moving him to someone based on potential and thus not maximizing his value. too early to bail on evgeny. with his size and skating, hes off the table.

gilroy isnt going to bring much back. same for sangs. no real value there. then again, nor sure if those 2 are in the plans for next year at all anyway. those 2 dont cost much so im inclined to say keep them rather than give them away

roster players have value, especially dan girardi. dan in a package with rozy would perhaps be of value but we would expect to have to take salary back in return and if so, we would be looking for some goals.

a deal could be built around those 2 i would think. especially if we sign mcd.

we would absolutely need to look at a vet/fa dman coming in if that happens as im not sold on matt gilroy playing top 4 minutes.

a package built around girardi or dubinsky and rozy, would be interesting. again, we would need a top 6 forward in return who has either fallen out of favor or has a so-so contract that a team is looking to unload.

we need goals. period.
I agree.

I think we can afford to send some of our defensive pieces since we have (according to the be all end all of rankings per this board, the #2 goalie in the world). Teams like Chicago and Philly and even Pittsburgh and Detroit, have to make up for their "deficiency" in goal by adding more talent at defense.

I think we could get by even with an average defense with Hank in net. The problem is NOT and I repeat NOT keeping goals out, its putting goals in.

If we have a much better offense, without really touching the defense save for a minor move, and Hank in net, it improves our chances drastically. I really truly believe that.

HockeyGuy1985* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 12:41 PM
xxxZENxxx

Quote:

As much as I would love to get Spezza, how on Earth do we fit 7 million a year for the next 5 years into our salary structure... and give up a bunch of assets to get him??? Right now, we only have enough cap space to re-sign our own players and fill out the roster with cheap contracts. And you know Ottawa won't take Rozy or Redden (been there done that with Heatley). Not possible!!!

xxxZENxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 12:52 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcon40 View Post
Excellent point, Melrose. I almost forgot he is due a raise. His status (whether under contract or not) obviously affects the return. It also raises the question now if there is value in letting him walk (cap space, opening up a roster spot - although he is still young).
On the flip side, can the Rangers afford for him to go to arbitration and potentially bring home an award that they don't have the cap space to accept?

He's got the potential to throw a wrench into the management of summer cap overage. A desire to tie up a chunk of that money could indeed make him a tradeable asset.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 01:00 PM
xxxZENxxx

Here is my list of players:

1) Sangunetti- Sather is dying to use this kid to get something of value (maybe to get the 3rd round pick back?). I think he surprises everyone and makes the Rangers this year. That is... if he isn't traded.

2) Gilroy- I think the team has given up on him and for good reason. I think he is a goner if the team can get a team to bite. If not, he might frequent Hartford this season... mainly because of his contract.

3) McDonagh- I think that there was a reason that his name was leaked in rumors involving Arnott. If the team can't sign him this summer, I can't see them running the risk that he will bolt to be redrafted next summer. Note the organization is high on him, though. Could be used to reel in a BIG fish.

4) Dubinsky- Only would be traded to reel in BIG fish.

5) Girardi- I thought at one point that he was a goner due to the potential contract he could sign, but Sather's recent comments have me thinking otherwise. They also could have been meant as a misdirection of sorts, but who knows.

Comments on other guys mentioned:
*Listing draft picks is just plain retarded... just my opinion.
*Rozy is almost untradeable. It doesn't matter how well he did at the end of last season, he is WAY overpaid and no team wants salary.
*Trade Grachev??? Would be a giant mistake! It is funny how one down year all of a sudden puts him on a tradeable list. The guy was playing with kids before and now plays with men. Wait for the monster to develop!

I honestly think that the only true untouchables in the organization (for any reason) are Lundqvist, Gaborik, Callahan, Staal, MDZ, Stepan, Kreider, and Grachev. I hesitate a bit on Anisimov, but if we needed to obtain a monster player and he was the only standing in the way... he would be a goner.

xxxZENxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 01:02 PM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:

I am a big spezza trade supporter. I think that if we can hold out past the draft this weekend, that I would offer a kessel type deal (2011 1st and 2nd) plus Roszival and a prospect not named kreider or stepan.

Old
06-21-2010, 01:30 PM
HockeyGuy1985*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXHOUND View Post
I am a big spezza trade supporter. I think that if we can hold out past the draft this weekend, that I would offer a kessel type deal (2011 1st and 2nd) plus Roszival and a prospect not named kreider or stepan.

If McDonagh doesnt sign he is a piece that could be included. Unfortunately I see Dubinsky going the other way somehow. I dont wanna give up Kreider or Stepan or Grachev. They al have higher upside than Dubinsky, the thing is, we have yet to see them.

HockeyGuy1985* is offline   Reply With Quote