HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Goaltending

View Poll Results: How should Atlanta address its goaltending position in the offseason?
Sign a veteran no. 1 goalie via UFA to start, Pavelec to backup (Nabokov, Theodore, Turco, Mason) 7 20.00%
Sign a veteran 1B goalie via UFA to split starts with Pavelec (Nittymaki, Ellis, Biron, Toskala) 23 65.71%
Trade for a new no. 1 goalie (Vokoun, Thomas, Price, Harding) 2 5.71%
Re-sign Johan Hedberg to split starts with Pavelec (as per last season) 3 8.57%
Clean house and go with 2 new goalies. (Trade Pavelec, don't sign Hedberg) 0 0%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-18-2010, 03:12 PM
Thrashers94
We fly as one

vCash: 500
Everyone should follow Dan Ellis on Twitter and tell him to sign with Atlanta.

Old
06-18-2010, 03:52 PM
wingsarekings*

What's the news on Hedberg? Returning?

Should be interesting to see who the Trashers sign come july 1st. What's the cap situation like? Do the Trashers want to invest big money (3mill higher) on a solid #1 guy (Nabokov, Turco, Mason), or spend anywhere around 1 mill on a gamble/reclamation project like Biron, Toskala or Nitty who could maybe be decent #1's

Old
06-18-2010, 04:00 PM
wingsarekings*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papadice View Post
He speaks for most of us...

Toskala in San Jose was a good goaltender... In his first season in Toronto, he was a solid goaltender... Last season, he was horrendous... As in, worst goaltender in the league by far... the team had zero confidence in him and it showed... he let in way to many week goals as well... even if you forget about his contract, he was still an aweful NHL goaltender last year... mind you, getting out of the spotlight of Leafs Nation might help him rekindle his career a bit at least...
That's a good post, I respect it, and every goalie has bad years. His was 26 games on a last place team in the meka/hockey universe where it get's dissected/analysed etc... more so then anywhere else. Yes I do agree he is to blame for the poor start, but so were the players in front of him. It was a 50/50 combination equaling disaster.

Old
06-18-2010, 05:21 PM
Toasted Fish

I know money's not an issue with the team, but Emery could probably be had for fairly cheap. If non of the other options fall through there wouldn't be too big of a risk of signing him for 1 season and seeing what happens.

Old
06-18-2010, 05:47 PM
wingsarekings*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasted Fish View Post
I know money's not an issue with the team, but Emery could probably be had for fairly cheap. If non of the other options fall through there wouldn't be too big of a risk of signing him for 1 season and seeing what happens.
Actually Emery's career is likely over, he would be lucky to even step on the ice at this point.

Old
06-18-2010, 06:47 PM
Thrashers94
We fly as one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasted Fish View Post
Bad hip injury which could be career ending and I don't want Suga Ray anywhere near the Thrashers.

Old
06-18-2010, 07:46 PM
Toasted Fish

Oh, didn't realize the injury was that bad. I was just thinking if Ellis, Biron, Nittyamki, etc. all sign elsewhere he would have been an interesting idea.

Old
06-21-2010, 02:27 PM
AyVee

Quote:
Originally Posted by warf1234 View Post
That's a good post, I respect it, and every goalie has bad years. His was 26 games on a last place team in the meka/hockey universe where it get's dissected/analysed etc... more so then anywhere else. Yes I do agree he is to blame for the poor start, but so were the players in front of him. It was a 50/50 combination equaling disaster.
I was going to argue a case in favour of Toskala saying that he wasn't the worst last season (i'm not sure if he meant 08-09 season or 09-10 which just ended).
In 08-09 I just compared stats to colorado's worst goalie tandem in colorado history, where they finished a spot lower than Toronto where Rayzor played on a team that arguably also had the worst defense in it's history (but I know someone who would argue it was better than Pittsburghs...*cough cough*), but even that tandem had better stats, Raycroft himself, had better stats than Toskala, which I was surprised to find out.

All this past year I've been going about praising Howard for coming in and helping out his very injured team halfway through the year, taking over Osgood's spot who was, I thought at the time, the worst goaltender this year.
Looking at the stats, Osgood even did better than Toskala in his horrible 20-sum games. But Not by much.

In fact, on Goalie'sWorld.com, they have Toskala ranked a spot just below Ozzie, and, IMO, they have a very solid ranking system. However, if you have more minutes under your belt, their ranking system bumps you up over goalies with lesser minutes (backups) by default.
Toskala is the lowest-ranked goalie with the most minutes at the end of 09-10 at 1,605 mins with a SA% below .880, which is the site's lowest ranked-percentile, which is an impressively pathetic achievement...
2nd to him is Leclaire with 2nd most minutes played at two spots above Toskala.
http://www.goaliesworld.com/nhlrk041110.htm

I learned something today

Old
06-21-2010, 02:39 PM
aBurmistrov

Keep Pavelec and sign someone to back him up.

Old
06-21-2010, 02:43 PM
wingsarekings*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Anderson View Post
I was going to argue a case in favour of Toskala saying that he wasn't the worst last season (i'm not sure if he meant 08-09 season or 09-10 which just ended).
In 08-09 I just compared stats to colorado's worst goalie tandem in colorado history, where they finished a spot lower than Toronto where Rayzor played on a team that arguably also had the worst defense in it's history (but I know someone who would argue it was better than Pittsburghs...*cough cough*), but even that tandem had better stats, Raycroft himself, had better stats than Toskala, which I was surprised to find out.

All this past year I've been going about praising Howard for coming in and helping out his very injured team halfway through the year, taking over Osgood's spot who was, I thought at the time, the worst goaltender this year.
Looking at the stats, Osgood even did better than Toskala in his horrible 20-sum games. But Not by much.

In fact, on Goalie'sWorld.com, they have Toskala ranked a spot just below Ozzie, and, IMO, they have a very solid ranking system. However, if you have more minutes under your belt, their ranking system bumps you up over goalies with lesser minutes (backups) by default.
Toskala is the lowest-ranked goalie with the most minutes at the end of 09-10 at 1,605 mins with a SA% below .880, which is the site's lowest ranked-percentile, which is an impressively pathetic achievement...
2nd to him is Leclaire with 2nd most minutes played at two spots above Toskala.
http://www.goaliesworld.com/nhlrk041110.htm

I learned something today

Wrong.

Andrew Raycroft in 08-09 had an 892 sv % in 31 games. 12-16 record.

Toskala in 08-09 had an 891sv% in 53 games, playing with a torn hip and sports hernia, and ending the season a month and half early because of pain. Still was 22-17on the year. Winning record.

Raycroft was clearly better with a 1 percentile better sv% in 22 less games healthy. lol?

Again stats don't matter much when a goalie is playing injured or coming off surgeries, because there is usualy an adjustment period. Add that with playing on a team with a variety of new players trying to get acclimated to a new system.

Osgood put up a 888sv% this year playing on a decent team and put up 887sv% on a team that was a game away from winning the cup behind the likes of Lindstrom, rafalski etc. last year. Christobal Huet put up an 895 sv% playing behind arguably the best defence in the league. How bad would there stats have been playing behind a team that didn't win a single game until late october/early november? Also both these goalies were injury free. Notice how Toskala's numbers sky rocketed playing in Calgary, once he was healthy and recovered from the surgeries?

Closed Thread