HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Top 5 Ranger Assets Most Likely to Be Traded

Old
06-21-2010, 03:32 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxZENxxx View Post
If the Rangers could get anything for Rozy and get his ridiculous salary off the books, they would. They are not, I repeat not looking for equal value. While I do agree that he succeeded the second half of last season, he is still grossly overpaid and clogging up their salary structure. Not close to as much as Redden, but clogging it up nonetheless. Oh, and Rozy as a leader??? The guy is softer than Charmin toilet paper and possesses zero leadership characteristics. He is a DUD!!!!!!!
Horrible assesment of Rozsy. He's a player where no part of his game is better than the other. He has an arsenal that is elevated. Has decent size, is mobile, plays positional, doesn't back down from the rough stuff. His offensive side is good too. Has very good vision, a nice shot(needs to be used more and be a bit more accurate), and can control the pace of the game on the back end which is why you saw him log tons of minutes for Torts. He's very patient and poised with the puck in most instances, which is key for a d-men. His only issue, I repeat, only issue is his consistancy otherwise he is a d-men that has almost every tool in his arsenal. I think some of his consistancy issues were partially b/c of his hip surgey he had during the last offseason. It can take time to get back to form.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 03:35 PM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Horrible assesment of Rozsy. He's a player where no part of his game is better than the other. He has an arsenal that is elevated. Has decent size, is mobile, plays positional, doesn't back down from the rough stuff. His offensive side is good too. Has very good vision, a nice shot, and can control the pace of the game on the back end which is why you saw him log tons of minutes for Torts. He's very patient and poised with the puck in most instances, which is key for a d-men. His only issue, I repeat, only issue is his consistancy otherwise he is a d-men that has almost every tool in his arsenal. I think some of his consistancy issues were partially b/c of his hip surgey he had during the last offseason. It can take time to get back to form.
truth. rozi takes a lot of heavy criticism and unnecessary heat. he is very solid when he's "on" and healthy. completely agree about the hip. seems like he has had little nagging injury issues that have been bothering him, mainly the hip.

yes his contract is bad (not terrible, but still overpriced a little) and yes, his inconsistency and fear of shooting the puck can be very frustrating. but some fans act like he is the worst d-man in hockey.

speaking of worst d-man in hockey, redden on the other hand...

NY Lito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 03:45 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
...you saw him log tons of minutes for Torts.
Good assessment, but I do disagree with this part. Rozy was the undisputed TOI leader for the Rangers under Renney and a fixture on the #1 pairing and #1 PP unit. Torts has since moved Girardi up and, with MDZ logging so much power play time, Rozsival ended up 3rd in season TOI average this year behind Staal and Girardi.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 03:45 PM
gravytrain6t

I wouldn't be surprised if Sather can make a deal with Edmonton for the first overall pick. First off, he doesn't care about keeping "the core" together like he told LB. I think that was just to appease the fans and media. Basically, "alright lets get this annoying #### over and done so I can go fishing."

If he's so worried about keeping "the core" together than why is he offering a good solid chunk of it up for Stamkos? That was only a year ago. Luckily (for tampa) the owner checked with Lawton before giving Sather a second "well now it's certainly a done deal" handshake. Most nyr fans have probably read this. http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...Vq92kFkpEFVBMI

Not to mention what better team could Sather have to negotiate with other than Edmonton? Tambellini might not care what Sather has to offer. But slats and "mess" certainly will have Lowe's ear to chirp in. If Tambellini wants to inquire or get an opinion about some particular Rangers players, he can sit down and shoot it with Renney.

Do I think the Rangers can acquire the first round pick? yes. However, I certainly wouldn't bet on it. Aamof, I doubt they will.

But yet another thing is that Souray has been a headache for that team. Maybe he would be included in the trade. Even if Lowe/Tambellini had to take on Redden's contract, at least they won't have a grumpy veteran moping around the locker room asking for a trade.

And we all know how much Sather admires his slap shot and (I believe) has been trying to get this guy for quite some time now. Oh, and the assets needed to complete this deal would probably be very similar to what they were willing to give up for Stamkos. That would make 3, not to mention the 10th overall pick and Redden.

Last edited by gravytrain6t: 06-21-2010 at 03:53 PM.
gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 03:47 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Good assessment, but I do disagree with this part. Rozy was the undisputed TOI leader for the Rangers under Renney and a fixture on the #1 pairing and #1 PP unit. Torts has since moved Girardi up and, with MDZ logging so much power play time, Rozsival ended up 3rd in season TOI average this year behind Staal and Girardi.
I could be wrong but didn't Torts increase his minutes towards the end of the season to the point where he was the leader for the most part in terms of toi?

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 03:50 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
I could be wrong but didn't Torts increase his minutes towards the end of the season to the point where he was the leader for the most part in terms of toi?
Actually hp, you're right. I'm looking at the game log now. Rozy didn't play under 20 minutes after 2/4. 30+ on 3/25 in a SO win over the Devils.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id...eason=20092010

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 04:08 PM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Sather can make a deal with Edmonton for the first overall pick. First off, he doesn't care about keeping "the core" together like he told LB. I think that was just to appease the fans and media. Basically, "alright lets get this annoying #### over and done so I can go fishing."

If he's so worried about keeping "the core" together than why is he offering a good solid chunk of it up for Stamkos? That was only a year ago. Luckily (for tampa) the owner checked with Lawton before giving Sather a second "well now it's certainly a done deal" handshake. Most nyr fans have probably read this. http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...Vq92kFkpEFVBMI

Not to mention what better team could Sather have to negotiate with other than Edmonton? Tambellini might not care what Sather has to offer. But slats and "mess" certainly will have Lowe's ear to chirp in. If Tambellini wants to inquire or get an opinion about some particular Rangers players, he can sit down and shoot it with Renney.

Do I think the Rangers can acquire the first round pick? yes. However, I certainly wouldn't bet on it. Aamof, I doubt they will.

But yet another thing is that Souray has been a headache for that team. Maybe he would be included in the trade. Even if Lowe/Tambellini had to take on Redden's contract, at least they won't have a grumpy veteran moping around the locker room asking for a trade.

And we all know how much Sather admires his slap shot and (I believe) has been trying to get this guy for quite some time now. Oh, and the assets needed to complete this deal would probably be very similar to what they were willing to give up for Stamkos. That would make 3, not to mention the 10th overall pick and Redden.
The 1st overall pick is NOT getting moved. And secondly, yes, he wants to keep the core together. But moving 2 of our core pieces + some salary (Rozi, for example) for STEVEN STAMKOS is not out of the question, and would have been a great move, as he would then replace whatever pieces of our core left. He's 20 years old and scored FIFTY this year. Come on.

Taking that deal and then claiming that Sather will deal all of our prospects for whoever he might fancy at the time is ludicrous. Horrible.

BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 04:11 PM
xxxZENxxx

I agree that Rozy is not even close to the worst defenseman in the NHL, but he IS grossly overpaid. I actually think he is serviceable when on his game (unlike awful Redden). The most any GM would want to spend on him is 3 million, because he has very little offense due to being tentative with shooting the puck and lacks that assertive game that you want in an NHL defenseman. The problem is with the NHL these days is that all that matters is the cap hit and how it negatively affects this team... and his salary (combined with others') hurts the team. Sather has been trying to unload him for years to no avail. He will continue to do so...

xxxZENxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 04:11 PM
FOXHOUND*

If that deal had gone through we'd all be laughing our ***** off right now about how Sather fleeced another team. I don't think anybody would be crying over what we had to give up for a 51 goal scoring #1 center.

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 04:25 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

I think a lot of people missed the "late april fools" follow up regarding the Stamkos thing.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 04:26 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandNewDream View Post
The 1st overall pick is NOT getting moved. And secondly, yes, he wants to keep the core together. But moving 2 of our core pieces + some salary (Rozi, for example) for STEVEN STAMKOS is not out of the question, and would have been a great move, as he would then replace whatever pieces of our core left. He's 20 years old and scored FIFTY this year. Come on.

Taking that deal and then claiming that Sather will deal all of our prospects for whoever he might fancy at the time is ludicrous. Horrible.
Come on? What in the world are u talking about? Read the post over an over again.

Another thing. You don't have to cap NOT. I can see it and you saw what my opinion was of the deal actually taking place.

Old
06-21-2010, 04:27 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXHOUND View Post
If that deal had gone through we'd all be laughing our ***** off right now about how Sather fleeced another team. I don't think anybody would be crying over what we had to give up for a 51 goal scoring #1 center.
Oh my dear lord!!

Old
06-21-2010, 04:30 PM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Come on? What in the world are u talking about? Read the post over an over again.

Another thing. You don't have to cap NOT. I can see it and you saw what my opinion was of the deal actually taking place.
I'm talking about your equating Sather's supposed deal for Stamkos with proof of him not caring about our core. I think that was rather evident.

Old
06-21-2010, 04:31 PM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Oh my dear lord!!
Are you seriously suggesting you wouldn't move Grachev, Dubinsky, and Rozival (or Redden, or Girardi) for Stamkos?

Old
06-21-2010, 05:11 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandNewDream View Post
I'm talking about your equating Sather's supposed deal for Stamkos with proof of him not caring about our core. I think that was rather evident.
I don't have proof. But all of sudden people don't take what Sather has to say with a grain of salt? Talk about a complete 360. My only point is that he's hypocritical. I'll say it over a few times...And we go...

I said he probably (most likely) will not obtain Seguin or Hall. There was no drastic change between the beginning of last year til now! Supposedly the offer was made before (not after) Stamkos scored a million goals (w e it is. IDK you guys probably know off hand).

No, what I'm saying is this: From one year to the next, Sather is inconsistent with his comments. One year he's including Dubinsky, Callahan, MDZ...and whoever else for Stamkos. I would love to have Stamkos. But didn't he say recently that the players who are already with the team are getting first dibs at making the squad?
Why wasn't that the case last year. Like the situation was dramatically different? Or heck even the year before...and before that. And so on.

I thought this was part of the big "5 year plan?" I would trade away many players for Stamkos.

Except, I love Redden and Dubinsky, Rozsival...etc so much I couldn't part with them for one of the best goal scorers in the game.

That wasn't my point at all. Actually, the heck with 5 years. Much longer than that has Sather been spinning the wheels in reverse with this team. At the time of Brooks article "T," no, I didn't know it was an April fools joke.

Last edited by gravytrain6t: 06-21-2010 at 05:28 PM.
Old
06-21-2010, 05:19 PM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
I don't have proof. But all of sudden people don't take what Sather has to say with a grain of salt? Talk about a complete 360. My only point is that he's hypocritical. I'll say it over a few times...And we go...

I said he probably (most likely) will not obtain Seguin or Hall. There was no drastic change between the beginning of last year til now! Supposedly the offer was made before (not after) Stamkos scored a million goals (w e it is. IDK you guys probably know off hand).

No, what I'm saying is this: From one year to the next, Sather is inconsistent with his comments. One year he's including Dubinsky, Callahan, MDZ...and whoever else for Stamkos. I would love to have Stamkos. But didn't he say recently that the players who are already with the team are getting first dibs at making the squad?
Why wasn't that the case last year. Like the situation was dramatically different? Or heck even the year before...and before that. And so on.

I thought this was part of the big "5 year plan?" I would trade away many players for Stamkos.

Except, I love Redden and Dubinsky, Rozsival...etc so much I couldn't part with them for one of the best goal scorers in the game.

That wasn't my point at all.
But, essentially, it was. You cite Sather's willingness to deal pieces of our core for Stamkos to buoy the argument that we shouldn't believe his most recent comments that the kids will get their shot. You go on to say that Souray's available, Slats loves his shot, etc. etc, implying that Souray might be heading to Broadway, and that Glen will again deal away our "core".

Apples and oranges, my friend.

I have no reason to think that Sather will do something other than what he has said to Brooks. Never before has he said that they are going with youth the way that he did a month or so ago.

Last edited by BrandNewDream: 06-21-2010 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Final sentence.
Old
06-21-2010, 05:22 PM
BrandNewDream

Quote:

That wasn't my point at all.
Sure, young players can have the opportunity to make the team first. But bringing up the Stamkos thing is completely different. Just because kids like Dubi were already on the team doesn't mean you don't trade them for an upgrade. Even then, when Stamkos was struggling, you pull the trigger on that deal ten times out of ten.

Old
06-21-2010, 07:45 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
So, due to the poor UFA class (now compounded by reports that the Sharks want to re-sign Marleau, the Habs want to re-sign Plekanec and the Flyers obviously want to re-sign the newly acquired Hamhuis), many analysts are speculating that this should be one of the busiest offseasons for trades in recent memory. With that said (and with not much to do until Friday), I thought I'd start a thread to see what everyone thinks are the top 5 assets (players, prospects, picks, studio hosts, whatever) that the Rangers might move in the coming weeks. Here are mine, in order of likelihood, plus rationale for each:

1) Gilroy. For a whole host of reasons. He didn't do well last year, we have a glut of defensive prospects, his contract is up at the end of this year, he's only one year away from a bidding war where half the league was after him. I will be truly surprised if he is a Ranger next year.
2) The #10 pick. With everyone talking trade and with so many interesting players out there, there are any number of scenarios where the Rangers would trade up or down.
3) Sanguinetti. This is kind of an either/or with Gilroy as I don't see both of them moving, but a) they're somewhat redundant players and b) it's time for Sangs to step up to the NHL - so if Gilroy doesn't go, then I'm almost positive that Sangs will. Personally, I'd much rather keep Sangs, but it comes down to the front office's evaluation of its own players and of course what the trade market is for each.
4) Dubinsky. Everybody seems to want him. He's our best trading asset. In the event that we make a move for a significant player, particularly a forward, there's a good chance he's in the deal.
5) Rozsival. I actually think that the team wants to keep him - his play is back to top form and I believe he's now earning his contract. However, he does earn a lot of money and the $10MM in cap dollars vs. $7MM in real dollars over the next two years could be very tempting to a team looking to save costs.

What're everyone else's thoughts?

(Note: I firmly believe that Brashear will get moved, but my guess is that it will be a problem for problem swap and that he will in no way, shape or form become an asset to the team, so I didn't include him on my list.)
I don't agree about the order. But I do agree about the list. Maybe throw Cally in there?

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 08:10 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I think a lot of people missed the "late april fools" follow up regarding the Stamkos thing.
after halfa handle of canadain mist i cant tell if that is a joke or not

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 08:22 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabborik View Post
after halfa handle of canadain mist i cant tell if that is a joke or not
Quote:
The Rangers' GM told Slap Shots on Thursday that he "shook hands" on a trade last year that would have brought Steven Stamkos from Tampa Bay to New York less than halfway through the brilliant 20-year-old center's rookie season.
The Thursday before the article is dated was April 1st. Sather was screwing with Brooks.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 11:38 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
I agree with the OP's list for the most part. I think Sauer should have been moved two years ago so i'm hoping we get something for him.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 11:42 PM
LyNX27

Another one of Rozsivals problem's is his skates are never sharpened... He falls over once a game like clockwork

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 12:13 AM
Hockey2000nyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxZENxxx View Post
Here is my list of players:

1) Sangunetti- Sather is dying to use this kid to get something of value (maybe to get the 3rd round pick back?). I think he surprises everyone and makes the Rangers this year. That is... if he isn't traded.

2) Gilroy- I think the team has given up on him and for good reason. I think he is a goner if the team can get a team to bite. If not, he might frequent Hartford this season... mainly because of his contract.

3) McDonagh- I think that there was a reason that his name was leaked in rumors involving Arnott. If the team can't sign him this summer, I can't see them running the risk that he will bolt to be redrafted next summer. Note the organization is high on him, though. Could be used to reel in a BIG fish.

4) Dubinsky- Only would be traded to reel in BIG fish.

5) Girardi- I thought at one point that he was a goner due to the potential contract he could sign, but Sather's recent comments have me thinking otherwise. They also could have been meant as a misdirection of sorts, but who knows.

Comments on other guys mentioned:
*Listing draft picks is just plain retarded... just my opinion.
*Rozy is almost untradeable. It doesn't matter how well he did at the end of last season, he is WAY overpaid and no team wants salary.
*Trade Grachev??? Would be a giant mistake! It is funny how one down year all of a sudden puts him on a tradeable list. The guy was playing with kids before and now plays with men. Wait for the monster to develop!

I honestly think that the only true untouchables in the organization (for any reason) are Lundqvist, Gaborik, Callahan, Staal, MDZ, Stepan, Kreider, and Grachev. I hesitate a bit on Anisimov, but if we needed to obtain a monster player and he was the only standing in the way... he would be a goner.
The rumor regarding McDonagh going to Nashville was nothing of Sathers doing, as RUMORED David Poile requested McDonagh if he were to trade Arnott to the Rangers. Sather obviously said no, as Arnott ended up in New Jersey. Where did you hear that Sather is dying to trade Sanguinetti? The only way i can see him trading Sangs is if we get an NHL ready forward prospect who would be able to play on the top 2 lines.

i dont want to trade Sanguinetti yet because A) hes got elite speed, as he won the AHL fastest skater competition B) hes 21. C) Hes been to 2 AHL all star games in TWO SEASON! D) hes a player who has size and from what he said on his write up on the rangers site, he's determined to concentrate on his offensive game in this training camp, something he did not do last year because he felt he needed to concentrate heavily on defense causing him not to standout.

personally i feel that Gilroy will be pawned off onto someone else for a 4th or later round pick because they realize with the possibility of Valentanko coming over, the possible signing of McDonagh, who by reports is NHL ready, and also with the possibility of either Sanguinetti or Sauer emerging to steal a spot.

also about your little tidbit on Rozsival. Although his cap hit is $5 million, the breakdown of his last two years on his contract are $4 million and $3 million respectively. Cap Hit /Actual Salary can give a player positive or negative trade value. In Rozys case, he will gain some positive trade value especially to Budget teams, because of the fact that his ACTUAL SALARY is less then his CAP HIT. So for a team who needs to stay close to the floor of the Salary Cap, a player like rozsival allows the team to be at the floor, while paying out less in Actual Salaries.

Hockey2000nyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 08:23 AM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Gilroy - I can see Sather trying to move him. There will be a bunch of D prospects fighting for a spot and should be better than Gilroy and his $1.75m cap hit. Sure he has potential as we seen last pre-season, but that style of play was lost once the season started. I just don't see him being anything other than a #7 or in the AHL if not traded.

Brashear - Traded to a team with cap room but internal cap. They send us a higher contract that we can waive, they buy out Brashear for real money savings.

Girardi - He does have value and can be used in a package to bring back a top 6 forward (read: as part of a package).

Dubinsky - Same as Girardi.

I really don't see much happening with the rest. Rozi will be not be moved as a salary dump and I think it's nonsense to do so. He has actual value to this team and the blue-line. If Rozi is gone and a prospect replaces him, the blue-line will be must worse off. Sure we can use the cap space, but for what? Volchenkov and his $5-6mil contract? No thanks...

I think a lot of on the edge on Sangs. Sure he has potential but you have to take our defensive system and prospects into account. It's pretty deep and he may just be 'the next one up' each season as someone else beats him out. Last season it was MDZ and Gilroy. This season it could be McD. I think those that want to trade him want to do so before he loses all value due to being lost in the defensive logjam.

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 08:34 AM
tjs252

I'd say the biggest asset is Callahan, not Dubinsky.

tjs252 is offline   Reply With Quote