HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jody Shelley update

Old
06-21-2010, 01:12 PM
RangerFan10

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRangersFan View Post
Will his contract be affected by the 35+ rule if he signs for two years? He is 34 atm and his birthday is Feb 7.

If the 35+ rule doesn't affect him, I'd love to have Shelly back on the team for two years, even if it does affect him I'd still be inclined to bring him back.
If he doesn't suck after this season and he's on the team, what difference does it make?

I'd rather sign him to a one-year to be safe, but I think it'll probably be a cheap cap hit and he'll be good enough where he'll still be a legit heavyweight and be able to play in the lineup 50-65 games and be effective.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 01:14 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteau Matteau View Post
Even though they [Prust-Anisimov-Shelley] were clearly our best line at the end of the year, I worry that it was short-lived, or a fluke. We'll see I guess. I favor re-signing Shelley and Prust though.
I doubt the plan is to keep Prust-Ani-Shelley together....I think there's even good a chance Prust gets a shot at playing on the 3rd line with Avery and Drury as linemates if Callahan ends up being our 2nd right winger, meaning Shelley is playing with Byers or Weise on the opposite wing.

Old
06-21-2010, 01:15 PM
HockeyGuy1985*

Derek Boogaard isnt a bad option if Shelley isnt back. I think he will be though.

HockeyGuy1985* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 01:40 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
Sheey & Prust brought a toughness & grit that the team lacked, Avery was the only guy who would get in deep with the bigger guys. Prust has some skill & he could be a guy I'd like to see here for years too come. It should come as no surprise that once Shelly got here teams stopped running Lundquist. Shelly should be signed & given a 10 to 15% raise.
For real...

Prust Anisimov Shelley should be the 4th line. I know Artem is projected higher than the 4th line but those guys had chemistry. CHEMISTRY the elusive ingredient for the Rangers. It can be contagious and it has to start somewhere. Like a seed. The Rangers were a different team when Prust and Shelley arrived. Good mojo.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 01:41 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
I doubt the plan is to keep Prust-Ani-Shelley together....I think there's even good a chance Prust gets a shot at playing on the 3rd line with Avery and Drury as linemates if Callahan ends up being our 2nd right winger, meaning Shelley is playing with Byers or Weise on the opposite wing.

The endless line shuffeling has to stop. A line has chemistry let them play together.

They would be a GREAT 4th line assuming Sather upgrades the top 6 somehow...imo

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 01:48 PM
HockeyGuy1985*

I agree ^. If Anisimov has chemistry with them, let them play. So what if his stock might be higher.

There are alot of guys on Chicago with a high stock that were forced to play lower. Not saying we're as talented depth wise as Chicago in any way, but if it works, let it work and stop the line shuffling.

If you fill the holes properly be it by FA or trade, if you have a guy like Anisimov with a bit of potential on the fourth line, that really says something about your depth.

HockeyGuy1985* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 01:49 PM
TheRedressor

I would think Shelley is looking for stability. This is proabably the ONLY time where he has good value as a UFA in his career. 3 years 750K per seems like the right deal for both clubs. Shelley gets a nice contract length and if his game goes to hell the Rangers can send him to Hartford without any cap casualty.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 02:25 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

not really all that interested in keeping him. his spot is better served by a kid like Byers.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 02:34 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
not really all that interested in keeping him. his spot is better served by a kid like Byers.
Yuck.

I'll take Shelly over our most overrated fringe NHLer prospect.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 02:39 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
I think a kid like Byers might be well served by playing a year or two on the same team with Shelley (especially if he's the 13th forward subbing in every 2-3 games and/or when someone is hurt).

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 03:25 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
For real...

Prust Anisimov Shelley should be the 4th line. I know Artem is projected higher than the 4th line but those guys had chemistry. CHEMISTRY the elusive ingredient for the Rangers. It can be contagious and it has to start somewhere. Like a seed. The Rangers were a different team when Prust and Shelley arrived. Good mojo.
I don't agree.... AA will be deserving of more playing time in his sophomore season and Prust & Shelley should not be given comparable playing time as they are career 4th liners.... AA should be playing with more talented wingers and refining his game with skilled players.... The fact that this line had our best/only chemistry among our forward lines is testament to how poor our chemistry was throughout the line-up, not how great Prust - AA - Shelley line really was.... They stood out because the other lines were so disjointed....

I definitely won't be happy if those guys continue playing together but it doesn't look like it'll happen because I remember reading a quote from I believe Torts that acknowledged that line would not remain intact in the future....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuy1985 View Post
I agree ^. If Anisimov has chemistry with them, let them play. So what if his stock might be higher.
Because AA is the only member of that line that should be getting higher than 4th line minutes and if you keep that line together you are reducing the minutes of other forwards on the team who are playing in their appropriate roles....

Should a forward like Callahan/MZA/Dubinsky get reduced minutes on one of our top 3 forward lines because Prust - AA - Shelley have good chemistry?

Last edited by wolfgaze: 06-21-2010 at 04:41 PM.
wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 03:28 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
not really all that interested in keeping him.
Agree that this is not a must do signing.... Hopefully he only gets a 1 year deal as we've seen how quickly older players can fall off.... I think they'll be better options available in the not too distant future...

Old
06-21-2010, 03:42 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
Yuck.

I'll take Shelly over our most overrated fringe NHLer prospect.
hes a 4th liner who will play 3-5 minutes a night.

im not expecting miracles from byers..but, he can skate, and hes got a mean streak in him. hes a perfect 4th liner. hes aaron voros, with balance and the ability to not get his face pounded into slush.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 04:05 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Very interesting in seeing what the contract will be if they do sign him. I'll be livid if another enforcer is overpaid.

I agree with Inferno on this. A team as strapped as the Rangers should look to add more offense on the lower lines instead of a locker room presence. But thats just me. I'd rather have a guy who can skate, hit and score than a fighter because I come from the camp that the enforcer isnt as needed anymore. Beisdes - Prust will come back and hes got all of that. There are a few others to who can drop them if needed. This is the same ole discussion that never ends.

Voros, Shelly (even with everything he did late in the year last year), Lisin - these guys need to be phased out.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 04:08 PM
RangerFan10

Anisimov's development takes a serious plunge if we have him on the 4th line all year, and there's no way Shelley-Anisimov-Prust continuously produce. It isn't "line shuffling" if we happen to make a change from our last game to our first game next season and never return to the lines from last year.

Didn't they say the last two games of the year was the first time ever shelley scored back to back goals? And Prust...he's not going to ever eclipse 15 goals IMO...even to get to that he'll be fairly lucky

Old
06-21-2010, 04:14 PM
nyr2417

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Very interesting in seeing what the contract will be if they do sign him. I'll be livid if another enforcer is overpaid.

I agree with Inferno on this. A team as strapped as the Rangers should look to add more offense on the lower lines instead of a locker room presence. But thats just me. I'd rather have a guy who can skate, hit and score than a fighter because I come from the camp that the enforcer isnt as needed anymore. Beisdes - Prust will come back and hes got all of that. There are a few others to who can drop them if needed. This is the same ole discussion that never ends.

Voros, Shelly (even with everything he did late in the year last year), Lisin - these guys need to be phased out.
yeah i've also been meh about bringing shelley back and heres why... in our division a heavy is not needed and when you think about the broad street "bullys" who do they really have that we can't hang with? no one. they're top 5 fighters are carcillo, lapierre, asham, hartnell, and i guess you can add richards. Say we don't retain shelley and go with weise or byers well still be fine from a toughness perspective. Prust can pummel/hang any of those guys, byers/weise can also fight, avery can fight, dubi can fight, and if we have voros as a 13th he can fight. we're fine, we don't need a heavy.

nyr2417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 05:57 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
I agree 1000000000000%

Byers and Weise should be given every opportunity to earn roster spots.

They're both NHL ready. Big bodies. Physical players. And both can score.

Its time to continue the influx of youth, not time to start re-signing 34 year olds who had a month of quality play in their entire career.

Shelly, Voros, Redden out.

McDonagh, Weise, Byers in.

Keep Prust, that's fine.

A bottom six with Avery, Weise, Byers, Prust, Boyle would be a royal pain in the ass for any team to face.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 06:04 PM
XLJ

I hope Sather doesn't give him more than a 1 year deal. Personally I wouldn't bring him back. I thought they wanted to get younger. Byers would be a better option he is a better hockey player. And Prust will be back the rangers will have enough toughness on the team. And Voros is still signed and is probably your 13th forward. How many 4th line players do the rangers need lol.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 06:06 PM
OverTheCap

I don't mind him coming back.

Torts emphasized how important character is, and that adding Shelley to the mix really changed around the demeanor in the locker room.

A vet who has a positive influence on the team with a reasonable contract is fine with me. We had a lot of rotten apples to start the season last year, like Brashear and Kotalik, so I think that taking character into consideration is a good thing.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 06:10 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
I agree 1000000000000%

Its time to continue the influx of youth, not time to start re-signing 34 year olds who had a month of quality play in their entire career.

Keep Prust, that's fine.

A bottom six with Avery, Weise, Byers, Prust, Boyle would be a royal pain in the ass for any team to face.
Can we dump Boyle too please? His actual hockey skill has yet to be located....

Old
06-21-2010, 06:24 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Can we dump Boyle too please? His actual hockey skill has yet to be located....
sad part is they dealt a 3rd round pick for him . rangers could have signed steve begin or another 4th liner. boyle stinks. its sad that the big players the rangers had always played soft, Malik, Boyle, Kevin Hatcher, Tom Poti, etc. Boyle is the forward version of Malik. much rather have a kid like dupont try for the 4th line spot.

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 06:25 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
I agree 1000000000000%

Keep Prust, that's fine.

take out boyle and add Dupont or Didiomete. boyle should get traded. he freaking sucks.

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 06:29 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I don't really care who the 4th line center is, as long as he's making league minimum, is solid defensively, and can pass the puck.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 07:00 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

The problem is is that Voros is buddies with all the stars and Avery can't be traded anywhere. Weise and Byers need to be up already.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 07:09 PM
Tony D63
Tortsless Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post
I hope Sather doesn't give him more than a 1 year deal. Personally I wouldn't bring him back. I thought they wanted to get younger. Byers would be a better option he is a better hockey player. And Prust will be back the rangers will have enough toughness on the team. And Voros is still signed and is probably your 13th forward. How many 4th line players do the rangers need lol.
Your not going to want young players to be on your 4th line, unless there not meeting expectations. Plus our 4th line had so much chemistry together, the last 10 games of the season or so they scored almost every game. You do not want to brake that apart.

Tony D63 is offline   Reply With Quote