HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nyr-ott

Old
06-21-2010, 04:50 PM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

vCash: 500
Nyr-ott

spezza speculation is heating up a bit after TSN reporting he has more or less asked for a trade (not like heatley though who absolutely demanded to get the heck outta there. spezza seems he would prefer a trade but would be ok with staying as well).

every GM is probably making a call just to test the waters, and any team would love to add him. he is a legitimate 1st line center and a great playmaker. turns the puck over a bit too much, but is only 27 and is about to enter his prime. contract ends right when he is exiting his peak level as well.

7 mil is a huge cap hit especially on a cap-strapped team. however, remember with one of the R/R sisters gone to make this deal even possible and with rozi and dru off the books in 2 seasons for sure, there is at least 12 mil available by 2012.

i don't advocate trading picks/prospects for big name players but spezza is a top-tier player and gives us something we haven't had since The Captain's glory years (a true #1 center).

(assuming redden sent to AHL/rozi moved in another deal)

NYR:
Brandon Dubinsky
Ryan McDonagh
2010 2nd
2011 1st

OTT:
Jason Spezza

do you think this is enough? too much?

every team loves dubi, McD gives them a defensive d-man (OTT wouldn't want sangs), and then two early picks.

personally i really don't know about this. i think it is fair value (if anything it might be overpayment in our eyes). again though i don't like giving up our assets. especially giving up dubi. that would hurt.

anyway thought this would be fun to ponder.

NY Lito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 04:55 PM
GaborikEqualsGod1995*

Neither team does it. Spezza could garner more from a desperate team like Columbus, and we need the picks and McDonaugh.

GaborikEqualsGod1995* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 05:07 PM
FOXHOUND*

I'd pull the trigger on that, although I'd add roszival into it to make it work better for cap reasons. We know that Murray covets mcdonaugh. My only worry is that there might be bad blood after what happened last year.

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 05:17 PM
nyr2417

no no no. we don't need spezza when we can just wait 1 year and sign a thornton or richards, or even a m koivu. patience, spezzas not going to give us a cup this year.

nyr2417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 05:20 PM
GaborikEqualsGod1995*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2417 View Post
no no no. we don't need spezza when we can just wait 1 year and sign a thornton or richards, or even a m koivu. patience, spezzas not going to give us a cup this year.
Spezza is younger, and will be cheaper than Thornton. He's also better in the playoffs.

That being said, Mikko Koivu would be awesome in Ranger blue, and he won't cost 7 mil+.

Old
06-21-2010, 05:20 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Man the offeseason, in between major events (free agency and draft), is really boring around here. This conversation was beaten to death already. Ottawa would not accept a deal like that, at least imo. They are getting back 3 prospects who's future is up in the air, and brandon dubinsky who I would guess they'd want, but I don't think that would be enough to get Spezza.

Now like the poster listed above, Mikko Koivu would be amazing as a Ranger. He is young, a top play maker that would look nice on a Gaborik line, and would probably cost no more than what Tomas Plekanec would get.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 05:21 PM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
No one said he would. I like Thornton and Richards a lot and would be all for signing them if we couldn't swing this deal, but spezza is 27 and already signed for 5 years. He can also be just as good.

Old
06-21-2010, 05:30 PM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSportsfan6230 View Post
Man the offeseason, in between major events (free agency and draft), is really boring around here. This conversation was beaten to death already. Ottawa would not accept a deal like that, at least imo. They are getting back 3 prospects who's future is up in the air, and brandon dubinsky who I would guess they'd want, but I don't think that would be enough to get Spezza.

Now like the poster listed above, Mikko Koivu would be amazing as a Ranger. He is young, a top play maker that would look nice on a Gaborik line, and would probably cost no more than what Tomas Plekanec would get.
highly doubtful mikko reaches UFA. he is the captain of that team and seems to be involved in the community over there. i can't see him leaving the wild. thornton and richards could be possibilities, but no guarantees they leave either.

Old
06-21-2010, 05:32 PM
nyr2417

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cally Is Overrated View Post
Spezza is younger, and will be cheaper than Thornton. He's also better in the playoffs.

That being said, Mikko Koivu would be awesome in Ranger blue, and he won't cost 7 mil+.
spezza younger yes. cheaper? not so sure. richards and thornton wont get more than 7.5 imo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXHOUND View Post
No one said he would. I like Thornton and Richards a lot and would be all for signing them if we couldn't swing this deal, but spezza is 27 and already signed for 5 years. He can also be just as good.
could be just as good but we'd also be without some nice draft picks and dubi and mcdonaugh. big no for me. why can't you just wait 1 year to sign a similar player to a similar contract

Old
06-21-2010, 05:34 PM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:
spezza younger yes. cheaper? not so sure. richards and thornton wont get more than 7.5 imo.

could be just as good but we'd also be without some nice draft picks and dubi and mcdonaugh. big no for me. why can't you just wait 1 year to sign a similar player to a similar contract
an answer to that is there is no guarantee they are available next year. tomorrow could say they all sign extensions.

Old
06-21-2010, 05:37 PM
nyr2417

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Lito View Post
an answer to that is there is no guarantee they are available next year. tomorrow could say they all sign extensions.
i'd bet alotttttt of money at least 1 of them will hit july 1st

Old
06-21-2010, 05:39 PM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:
i'd bet alotttttt of money at least 1 of them will hit july 1st
maybe/maybe not. the most likely of all them to hit would be thornton, then richards. richards would be a welcome addition. thornton i would stay away from. he has new whipping boy all over him

Old
06-21-2010, 05:45 PM
Gardner McKay
#4parsley

vCash: 1647
Quote:
highly doubtful mikko reaches UFA. he is the captain of that team and seems to be involved in the community over there. i can't see him leaving the wild. thornton and richards could be possibilities, but no guarantees they leave either.
Why give all that up for Spezza? Hes not our missing piece to a Stanley Cup and if hes not that piece then why give up Dubinsky who still has not reached his full potential and I think could break 60 this year, Mcdonough who will be an awesome young defenseman and the 10th overall pick?

Id prefer Kovalchuk over Spezza because he wont cost us any young assets. I really dont want either of them but if I have to pick its Kovalchuk hands down.

Also if Slats wouldnt give up Dubinsky for Heatley then why give him up for Spezza?

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 05:47 PM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:

dubi will never be as good as spezza and will never add that element to our team that spezza would. You have to give to get. Him and McDonaugh can both be replaced. We have prospects stocked in the coifers, especially after whoever we draft this year.

and again, the ages here make a big difference.
also you fail to take into account the number of teams that could use a center like those 2 so richards and thornton are almost certain to be overpaid and taking up cap space well into the end of their primes, which they are reaching. You make it seem like the first place both of those guys are gonna go to is NYR after free agency and then listen to other teams. 99.9% its not gonna work out that way, if they even make it. You are gaurenteed to have spezza for 5 years at 7 in his prime as a point per game player in the regular season and the playoffs. Spezza is 27, Joe would be 32 by the time we signed him and Richards 31. That is a lot of cash to be giving to players entering the third phase of their careers, and they both already make more than Spezza, which means they will be looking for more in free agency.

Old
06-21-2010, 05:48 PM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabborik View Post
Why give all that up for Spezza? Hes not our missing piece to a Stanley Cup and if hes not that piece then why give up Dubinsky who still has not reached his full potential and I think could break 60 this year, Mcdonough who will be an awesome young defenseman and the 10th overall pick?

Id prefer Kovalchuk over Spezza because he wont cost us any young assets. I really dont want either of them but if I have to pick its Kovalchuk hands down.

Also if Slats wouldnt give up Dubinsky for Heatley then why give him up for Spezza?
personally i don't do it. nor do i want kovy either. purely playing the part of speculator/devil's advocate. just trying to see what his worth is and what this team would have to give to get him, and what posters here have to say.

have to say i'm glad most people don't do this trade

Old
06-21-2010, 05:50 PM
GaborikEqualsGod1995*

Quote:

So? Spezza WILL and has hit 80 points, and with Gabby possibly 90. If we can get Spezza, **** Dubinsky.

Old
06-21-2010, 05:56 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
spezza speculation is heating up a bit after TSN reporting he has more or less asked for a trade (not like heatley though who absolutely demanded to get the heck outta there. spezza seems he would prefer a trade but would be ok with staying as well).

every GM is probably making a call just to test the waters, and any team would love to add him. he is a legitimate 1st line center and a great playmaker. turns the puck over a bit too much, but is only 27 and is about to enter his prime. contract ends right when he is exiting his peak level as well.

7 mil is a huge cap hit especially on a cap-strapped team. however, remember with one of the R/R sisters gone to make this deal even possible and with rozi and dru off the books in 2 seasons for sure, there is at least 12 mil available by 2012.

i don't advocate trading picks/prospects for big name players but spezza is a top-tier player and gives us something we haven't had since The Captain's glory years (a true #1 center).

(assuming redden sent to AHL/rozi moved in another deal)

NYR:
Brandon Dubinsky
Ryan McDonagh
2010 2nd
2011 1st

OTT:
Jason Spezza

do you think this is enough? too much?

every team loves dubi, McD gives them a defensive d-man (OTT wouldn't want sangs), and then two early picks.

personally i really don't know about this. i think it is fair value (if anything it might be overpayment in our eyes). again though i don't like giving up our assets. especially giving up dubi. that would hurt.

anyway thought this would be fun to ponder.
yea because the rangers love trading for every superstar. hey it worked before the lockout didnt it although it was mainly ufa. lets have the rangers have the softest top 6 forwards in the league. look at the teams that went to the finals. they are both tough and physical. SOFT TEAMS DONT DO WELL IN THE PLAYOFFS i guess most ranger fans want the rangers to be skilled and soft with no grit or toughness.

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 06:27 PM
Gardner McKay
#4parsley

vCash: 1647
Quote:
So? Spezza WILL and has hit 80 points, and with Gabby possibly 90. If we can get Spezza, **** Dubinsky.
Yeah Dubinsky, Mcdonough, and our first this year.

With at least 1 player like Connoly, Tarasenko, Gudbranson, Fowler, Forbort, Granlund available at ten and possibly players like Kuznetsov, Kabanov and Jarnkok available at 40 I really dont want to give up all that.

G I A N T NO THANK YOU.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 06:30 PM
GaborikEqualsGod1995*

Quote:

With at least 1 player like Connoly, Tarasenko, Gudbranson, Fowler, Forbort, Granlund available at ten and possibly players like Kuznetsov, Kabanov and Jarnkok available at 40 I really dont want to give up all that.

G I A N T NO THANK YOU.
Actually, it's for our 1st in 2011.

Old
06-21-2010, 06:31 PM
nyr2417

Quote:

G I A N T NO THANK YOU.
wise man

Old
06-21-2010, 06:32 PM
nyr2417

Quote:
Actually, it's for our 1st in 2011.
ot: you're going to shatter every hf board record for posts per day haha

Old
06-21-2010, 06:32 PM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:

G I A N T NO THANK YOU.
first off kuznetsov pretty much has no chance of lasting till 40...

...and Kabanov? GIANT NO THANK YOU the kid is a headcase

Old
06-21-2010, 06:33 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Jason Spezza is just not the type of Center I would want to lose these assets on.... I would opt not to trade with Ottawa under these circumstances....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 06:35 PM
GaborikEqualsGod1995*

Quote:
ot: you're going to shatter every hf board record for posts per day haha
This forum has so many of sub boards I need to share my wisdom with.

Old
06-21-2010, 06:38 PM
Rust Heisenberg

spezza has a bad attitude. dubinsky has the right attitude. allow this team to grow from within, let its prospects get a chance at succeeding, and we'll have a successful team.

this team doesn't need big blockbuster trades. it has too many holes.

trade gilroy/sanguinetti for wheeler, call up grachev, minimize big time free agent signings. trade rosival if possible, move redden to the ahl if not, sign hamhuis if philly can't extend him... sign michalek if not... if both are gone allow ranger prospects to fill those vacant holes until next season's free agency period or until the deadline.

the way i see it we have grachev, stepan, kreider, and whoever else we select at 10th overall this year, whether it be nino or tarasenko, as our future. with the money we'll save after rosi's and drury's contracts expire and with redden being buried in the ahl we'll be able to not only develop our prospects but also have enough money to sign anyone we want in 2 years.

giving up our future for spezza is not worth it. sather doesn't have an idea of how to have a long lasting successful team. it comes from within the organization first then goes to trades and free agency to fill in the few remaining holes. look how chicago did it, look at the kings, look at washington, look at pitt. if the rangers keep spending big money on these types of players all they'll ever be is a 1st or 2nd round play off team at best.

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote