HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pens to go hard after Whitney

Old
06-21-2010, 04:46 PM
PKV Jungle Friends
Gonna Be a Gas...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
I need to start talking about Kovalchuk, again. Too much agreement going on around here.
Do it.

You know you want to.

PKV Jungle Friends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 05:06 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by odds View Post
But, in Frolov's case, his major reduction started the year he was put on the third line when he put up 32 & 27 for 59 points fallowed up with his last season being reduced even more with the addition of Smyth down to 51. It has to do with his line mates going from Kopitar & Brown to Handzus & Richards plus reduction in PP time.

So...he hasn't exactly been playing with their better talent for any major stretch of time the last couple years.

Poni was a top line winger in Toronto the whole time the last couple years, Frolov has been doing his from the third line while his production slipped.

Boy, I wish we had that kind of inconsistency in a winger who can get 60 to 70 points, then throw him down to the third line because you feel he is inconsistent.

Makes tons of sense, huh?
You ever wonder why a guy with Frolov's skill was on the 3rd line to begin with? Or maybe why his coach scratched him for games?

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 05:14 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Kovalchuk needs to be a Penguin next year.

$5.25M cap hit over 12 years. Do it Ray!

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 05:16 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mighty Boosh View Post
Kovalchuk needs to be a Penguin next year.

$5.25M cap hit over 12 years. Do it Ray!
LOL I don't even wanna think about it. If he was willing to take a contract like that I think we should at least call.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 05:22 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
LOL I don't even wanna think about it. If he was willing to take a contract like that I think we should at least call.
I was half serious. I'd ****ing love to have Kovalchuk on this team, but I doubt there's any chance in Hell he's taking less than $7M/yr, even to a contender.

Old
06-21-2010, 05:28 PM
JTG

How much does Kovalchuk like money? Would he rather get paid or have stability? He could realistically sign a 5-6 year deal for 37.5-45 million and that would leave him at 32-33 years old with the opportunity if he keeps his standard of play up to sign one of those Hossa type deals.

It just doesn't make sense for him financially to sign a ridiculously long term deal. A Gaborik deal is what I see Kovalchuk doing.

Old
06-21-2010, 05:30 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
How much does Kovalchuk like money? Would he rather get paid or have stability? He could realistically sign a 5-6 year deal for 37.5-45 million and that would leave him at 32-33 years old with the opportunity if he keeps his standard of play up to sign one of those Hossa type deals.

It just doesn't make sense for him financially to sign a ridiculously long term deal. A Gaborik deal is what I see Kovalchuk doing.
I don't think he's as money hungry as people want to believe. If that was the case, he'd either have signed the $10M+/yr deal with Atlanta or he'd already be in Russia.

I do think he wants what comparable players are earning, though. Fair value, if you will.

Old
06-21-2010, 05:48 PM
GlenngarryGlencross
Get the chalk!

Quote:
I don't think he's as money hungry as people want to believe. If that was the case, he'd either have signed the $10M+/yr deal with Atlanta or he'd already be in Russia.

I do think he wants what comparable players are earning, though. Fair value, if you will.
Part of the problem I see with him being in Pittsburgh is that he'll be third fiddle at best. Would he be content being a team's third best option offensively? I'm skeptical.

GlenngarryGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 05:49 PM
mgd525

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsono93 View Post
I don't think we have a 2nd rounder for 2011. Would they take a 1st this year and maybe Dupis, Godard, or Talbot and or prospects for Versteeg and Ladd? If they have to throw in Sopel then so be it. If we can't get Whitney, Ladd would be a great back up plan. Worse case scenario Ladd plays in Cooke's spot and gives our 3rd line a scoring punch. When Kunitz and Whitney retire and or get traded we would have Ladd as a top LW and Tangradi.

Whitney Crosby Versteeg
Kunitz Malkin Zherdev
Ladd Staal Kennedy
Adams Konopka Rupp

Letang Orpik
Michalek Goligoski
Sopel Foster

Fleury
Johnson
Salary cap ?

mgd525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 05:51 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgd525 View Post
Salary cap ?
he's getting used to the idea... not quite there yet haha

OnMyOwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 05:55 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
We need to make that call, regardless of all the rumors and innuendo spinning in his direction. That's all I've ever really said about this situation.

MAKE THE CALL. Or, if you want to speed things up, make NJ an offer for his rights. Lou would just LOVE that, I know. Still.

Jag68Sid87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 05:58 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
We need to make that call, regardless of all the rumors and innuendo spinning in his direction. That's all I've ever really said about this situation.

MAKE THE CALL. Or, if you want to speed things up, make NJ an offer for his rights. Lou would just LOVE that, I know. Still.
I'm a special case just because he's been my favorite non-Penguin since his rookie year, so I try not to get too involved in the discussion. A long term deal at $6 million or below I believe is worth it though.

Give him to whichever center you want then the other guy gets the best of the rest of our wingers, and that goes for the future too. Rest of the cap space goes to the defense.

Old
06-21-2010, 06:01 PM
redsono93

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrosbyMalkin View Post
Whitney is just a short term fix and I am tired of this. I really want Shero to look for one long term winger for both Crosby and Malkin. We can have a Kunitz, Dupuis, or Talbot for one of their wings as long as they have a gifted winger on the other side. Shero should be going after Frolov, Zherdev, Versteeg, and even someone like Sharp who is a center to maybe play wing. If you got two guys like these players one for each of our top two lines then we would be set for years for the top 2 lines.

I say offer a deal like the Hawks did for Hossa with 4 or 5 fake years in the deal to bring down the cap number. We should make a run at Frolov with that kind of deal.

Trading for Versteeg is interesting because the Hawks are in such a bad cap situation and have no leverage. No way will they get close to fair value for any of their players they are trying to trade because all the GM's know their cap situation and are not going to help them out of it without some great deal that steals players away for half their real value. Remember Jagr and Kovy trades?
I agree go for Versteeg and I would go for Ladd. If somehow we can't get Whitney, Ladd would be good with Malkin on the 2nd line. Then Sign Zherdev for Malkin's RW.

Kunitz Crosby Versteeg
Ladd Malkin Zherdev

redsono93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 06:02 PM
redsono93

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyOwn View Post
he's getting used to the idea... not quite there yet haha
I'm trying

redsono93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 06:11 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Part of the problem I see with him being in Pittsburgh is that he'll be third fiddle at best. Would he be content being a team's third best option offensively? I'm skeptical.
I have no idea, to be honest. I think he might welcome the pressure being lifted off his shoulders. I know I would.

Old
06-21-2010, 06:19 PM
Jahodac

Whitney looks good but seeing how he is older, he can burn out very quickly, especially if he gets injured. I would try to go for a younger player and maybe make a trade for Versteeg because we should find a long term solution to our winger problem so our lines can gain chemistry instead of signing another older player every 2 years for a quick fix. If we fix it now, we don't have to worry about it down the stretch.

Also, what is with all this love for Zherdev and what makes people think he will come and play for Pittsburgh?

Jahodac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 06:22 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahodac View Post
Whitney looks good but seeing how he is older, he can burn out very quickly, especially if he gets injured. I would try to go for a younger player and maybe make a trade for Versteeg because we should find a long term solution to our winger problem so our lines can gain chemistry instead of signing another older player every 2 years for a quick fix. If we fix it now, we don't have to worry about it down the stretch.

Also, what is with all this love for Zherdev and what makes people think he will come and play for Pittsburgh?
I am hesitant on Whitney, too, but the fact is he might be the best option for us.

Zherdev is intriguing, as well. He might not ask for much, he'll be motivated to prove himself, and he could click with Malkin. I wouldn't be opposed to throwing him a one year deal at say, $2.5M just to see how he plays out. He might play well enough to parlay that into a longer deal, either here or elsewhere. Not saying he's at the top of my list, but the interest is there.

Old
06-21-2010, 06:27 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

If everyone knew we were getting Versteeg we'd be a lot less keen on Whitney, however actually landing him and saying "we should try to trade for Versteeg" are two completely different things. They will absolutely try, I have no doubt. I'd say there's a good chance Versteeg will be gone before the first round of the draft is over. There will be phone calls flying all over the place. None of this means we should count on getting him. If we do, great. If we don't then Whitney becomes a good target.

It doesn't have to be one or the other. They'll try (like about 20 other teams) to get Versteeg. If they don't get him then UFA's like Whitney become the prime targets, simple as that.

Old
06-21-2010, 06:36 PM
JTG

Quote:

Which is why I put his salary at (7.5). What I'm saying is that he leaves the door opened to way more money down the line if he signs a 5-7 year deal. At that time, we will still be in the prime of his career, and he could then sign that stability contract for 10-12 years.

Say he signs a 6 year deal for 7.5 per, which would put him at 33 years old and 45 million in the bank. Then say he signs a Hossa type contract. 12 years, 62 million, where he plays until the real money runs out 7 years, 7.9 million (could be way more depending on what the cap does), which would be 55 million and 100 million total over 13 years.

Or he can sign a 12 year deal now, which would take him to about the same age and pay him much less than he would otherwise get.

Like I said, it depends what he values right now. Does he want a semi-long term deal where he can lay some roots down for half decade, then to have a really good shot at another huge pay day, or does he really want to settle down somewhere for the long haul? We'll find out.

Old
06-21-2010, 06:48 PM
angelgirl77

I would love to see the Pens sign Kovulchuck just to watch HF boards explode. It would be hysterical...and of course Gary Bettman would secretly be behind the whole deal

angelgirl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 09:28 PM
SuburbanRhythm
WorldClassJagoff

Peoples thoughts on who Whitney would play with, should he be signed?

I lean towards Geno...when healthy, I love Kunitz-Crosby. Kunitz can skate with Sid and play a similar style, straight ahead. I'd be hesitant to break up that group.

To my knowledge, Kunitz has only ever played on the left side.

SuburbanRhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 09:36 PM
justsayin*

Quote:

"if you will" ???

Mike Tomlin, is that you?

justsayin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 09:44 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanRhythm View Post
Peoples thoughts on who Whitney would play with, should he be signed?

I lean towards Geno...when healthy, I love Kunitz-Crosby. Kunitz can skate with Sid and play a similar style, straight ahead. I'd be hesitant to break up that group.

To my knowledge, Kunitz has only ever played on the left side.
Doesn't really make a difference to me. Kunitz is just fine with Crosby, although I wouldn't say they have any particular "chemistry".

Old
06-22-2010, 12:14 AM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

I would go hard seeing the Wizard with Cros.

M0NTY26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 08:44 AM
JTG

Whatever top 6 winger we bring in, we should try them with both Sid and Geno before deciding where they should play.