HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Rights to Dan Hamhuis to Philly for Ryan Parent - Pick negated by trade

Old
06-19-2010, 09:28 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
As I mentioned over on the trade board...Hamhuis at 3 million per year is a great defenseman. Solid number 3 guy.

Hamhuis at 4 or 4.5...he'll frustrate you. Too much money for a guy that's so inconsistent.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 09:55 PM
dulzhok

On his good days, Hamhuis is a 3rd dman. On his bad days, you don't want him on your roster, at any pricetag. Every Dman has their bad days, the problem is Hamhuis has way too many bad days.

I wish him the best and hope he turns into a consistent reliable guy, but I think a team that signs him for 4+m will regret it.

Last edited by dulzhok: 06-19-2010 at 10:06 PM.
dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 10:12 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Hamhuis does fine when he's not playing with Klein. I don't know if it's a lack of communication, but something just didn't click with those two. When Weber went down in 07-08 Hamhuis really stepped it up. He has the skill and the drive to be a pretty damn good player.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 03:41 AM
PoppaDawg

great deal to get something for his rights

PoppaDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 04:41 AM
ZombPred
ALLeyeDOizWHEN!

I'm gonna miss this MFer.

ZombPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 07:49 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
I like it! Yes, Parent has shown to be injury prone thus far in his career and that is something that will have to be addressed. However, we just got back a 23 year old defensive-defenseman who has shown the ability to play at the NHL level and still has room to mature for Hamhuis.

I think you'd be fooling yourselves if you legitimately thought we were going to get anymore than pick(s) for Hamhuis' rights this summer without either sending pick(s) the other way or taking back a bad contract. So to acquire an NHL roster player, who was drafted by and began his development in the organization (where he was quickly rising before getting sidetracked by a back injury and traded) to me is a winning situation compared to getting a pick(s) that will take 3+ years to develop and show a return or having to take back any contracts.

This pretty much closes the door on Grebeshkov returning as well and likely makes Sulzer trade bait too. But our defense is likely looking like 20-6, 8-77, 51-32 with Blum, Laakso, and Josi on standby in Milwaukee and I think that's a better core of defenseman than we started the day with...

Looking forward to seeing how Coach Peterson works with Parent to round out his game and looking forward to watching his hopefully continued development this season. The biggest hole we've had in our prospect pool since trading Parent has been a shutdown defenseman and we just addressed that by bringing Parent back...so all in all, I'm happy today.
Flyers Fan here. Good luck with Parent. I was hoping that he could stick in the line up. I really liked him. But his back issues from his junior days flared up and it looks like he may need surgery on it. Then for wahtever reason he seemed to have lost his confidence and the other team got juiced when they did not have to go against our big four. I do not think he got a lucky bounce all year and he became the teams whipping boy by a large group of the fan base here. It was time for him to move on, I still think he will turn out to be a good shut down defencman in this league and have a very good career, just not in Philly where the media and the fans can be very harsh if you are not pkaying well.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 08:44 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewis94 View Post
Seriously? The trade now amounts to Upshall, Hartnell, Timonen, Hamhuis and a 3rd for 22 games of Peter Forsberg.

Expiring contracts or not, I am certain Holmgren sends Poile 10 Christmas cards each year.
You cannot link all the separate deals together, just because they involved some of the same players. Each are their own deals.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 08:46 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
You cannot link all the separate deals together, just because they involved some of the same players. Each are their own deals.
and with the excption of Upshall they are all players they could have had for nothing but they chose to pay for them anyway

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 08:46 AM
Jarnberg

Sad to see Hammer go. By the looks of his off ice contributions, he seems like a great guy to have in the organization. Hamhuis is a really good defenseman and our defense is now worse without him.

Old
06-20-2010, 08:57 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Sad to see Hammer go. By the looks of his off ice contributions, he seems like a great guy to have in the organization. Hamhuis is a really good defenseman and our defense is now worse without him.
true. but it was also worse when we lost Timonen and look at it now.

defense is the one area where we can (and actually must) regularly lose good players.

if we are going to keep the Big 2 long term (and i think we will) then the other 4 have to be a rotating pool of players making 5-6 million in aggregate.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 09:06 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
true. but it was also worse when we lost Timonen and look at it now.

defense is the one area where we can (and actually must) regularly lose good players.

if we are going to keep the Big 2 long term (and i think we will) then the other 4 have to be a rotating pool of players making 5-6 million in aggregate.
I agree that defense is an area where we can lose players, as it is our position of strength in the organization; however, I think that where we are with our defensive prospects at this time goes a bit against that line up thinking. Sure we have good prospects, but I think they still need more grooming before being thrown in into the NHL. I don't think Franson, Sulzer stepped up enough last year to warrant more ice time. Josi will likely need to adjust to North America. Blum would likely be given a callup or two before getting a full time spot.

I don't think our defensive prospects have developed to the point to rely on them for this upcoming season.

Old
06-20-2010, 12:18 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

[QUOTE=Stranger;26376520I don't think our defensive prospects have developed to the point to rely on them for this upcoming season.[/QUOTE]

It's this reason I truly believe we'll see a cheap, veteran defenseman signed before we see a winger signed. I just hope both happen instead of the usual vet d-man and done off-season we're used to seeing.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 04:56 PM
Tommy D

Best part of this trade for Flyers fans is we just eliminated the biggest crease crasher.... one of our own players! Ryan seemed utterly happy to back into his own net minders crease on a regular basis.

I'm glad he's gone, but feel sorry for your net minders as well!

Tommy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 05:05 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy D View Post
Best part of this trade for Flyers fans is we just eliminated the biggest crease crasher.... one of our own players! Ryan seemed utterly happy to back into his own net minders crease on a regular basis.

I'm sure you'll enjoy Hammer's tendency to set up shop right in front of his own goaltender and deflect pucks into his own net then, as well

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 11:08 PM
Tommy D

Works for me.... with our tandem normally the shot goes STRAIGHT in! He might make them look good!

Tommy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 03:02 PM
goalscorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy D View Post

Looked like Parent stayed with his man and tried to keep the puck out, fell and Boucher got hurt. So what? Weber takes out our forwards every other game with his slap shot. Players get hurt, that's hockey.

goalscorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:19 PM
Jarnberg

With Hammer's rights being traded to Pittsburgh, does this mean the 7th rounder stays with Philly?

Old
06-25-2010, 10:20 PM
Bad Karma

The Flyers trade the rights to Dan Hamhuis to Pittsburgh for a 2011 third round pick.

Bad Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:23 PM
predfan24

I knew he wasn't gonna sign there. I doubt he signs with Pitt either. I think he wants Van badly. I think Poile knew it too and he fleeced Homgren

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:34 PM
Bad Karma

I tend to agree.

Bad Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:34 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
With Hammer's rights being traded to Pittsburgh, does this mean the 7th rounder stays with Philly?
I'm wondering the same thing. My bet is we keep the 7th. I think the 7th was contingent on them signing Hamhuis before July 1 but since they decided to trade him, that may go out the window. I have no clue but that would be the way I would view it. Even if we still have to give them the 7th, that's still a good deal to get Parent back for basically nothing.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:36 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
I knew he wasn't gonna sign there. I doubt he signs with Pitt either. I think he wants Van badly. I think Poile knew it too and he fleeced Homgren
It's arguable what is worth more-- Parent or a 3rd rd pick-- i guess we'll find out next season. I think Holmgren did pretty good to realize it wasn't going to work and move him for a 3rd.

Hamhuis just doesn't fit in Philly. He's too low key for that kind of environment. I think there's a chance he signs in Pitt, but a better chance he hits the open market.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:44 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
It's arguable what is worth more-- Parent or a 3rd rd pick-- i guess we'll find out next season. I think Holmgren did pretty good to realize it wasn't going to work and move him for a 3rd.

Hamhuis just doesn't fit in Philly. He's too low key for that kind of environment. I think there's a chance he signs in Pitt, but a better chance he hits the open market.
I'll take Parent over a 2011 3rd round pick...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 11:44 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
I think Poile knew it too and he fleeced Homgren
You mean the trading superhighway between Nashville and Philly may shut down now?

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 11:48 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I could hear Homer going D'oh! all the way from Pittsburgh.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote