HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers interested in Nittymaki

Old
06-21-2010, 05:26 PM
turkinaa

vCash: 500
I don't mind the Biron idea, but only if we have a goalie who can be used in the minors and groomed to take over in a few seasons otherwise we're just rotating goalies again. I like the idea of Biron-Boucher/Backlund with having a few prospects working in the minors getting ready.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 06:27 PM
sg12lw

esche>biron

yeah im serious

if were going in the cheap direction, i actually wouldnt mind bobby back...he played really well in a lot of playoff games for us....he also was prone to softies tho, but thats part of being a flyer goalie i guess..plus id guess hed be super cheap

i would take nitty back for cheap, but dont want biron at all...like i said id rather have esche than marty

1.nitty, 2.esche, 3.leighton , 4.biron if were going with a backup as our starter again...but ideally, none off them start a game for us next year haha

sg12lw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 06:36 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25 Pronger D PHI View Post
esche>biron

yeah im serious

if were going in the cheap direction, i actually wouldnt mind bobby back...he played really well in a lot of playoff games for us....he also was prone to softies tho, but thats part of being a flyer goalie i guess..plus id guess hed be super cheap

i would take nitty back for cheap, but dont want biron at all...like i said id rather have esche than marty

1.nitty, 2.esche, 3.leighton , 4.biron if were going with a backup as our starter again...but ideally, none off them start a game for us next year haha
Esche was a locker room cancer and Biron was well liked by his teammates. I want no part of Robert Esche. And no, he wasn't as good as Biron was. Esche had the luxury of playing behind a pretty incredible defense that was one game away from reaching the Stanley Cup final. Biron had the luxury of playing behind a defense in which Hatcher was skating on a knee that needed to be replaced, a worn out Jason Smith, Randy Jones (enough said), and a Braydon Coburn who was good one playoffs, but absolutely atrocious the next. The only good defender he played behind was Timonen.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 06:43 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Which just about any coach would do in that situation... (reference: Leighton, Michael... this year).

And his game fell off for us prior to the Olympics, so that's not really a good excuse.

That's nice and all... but he wasn't that good of a NHL goalie when he first came up, and had notable holes in his game. Some of which improved while he was here and that led to better performances.

Sorry man, this statement only makes logical sense if you want to ignore that Nitty had simply proven himself to not be good enough to be a starter... which he had.
It makes a lot of sense because they were giving Niitty an opportunity to be a starter for a full season, and decided that it wasn't happening. If he had shown that he could, then he would have been left as the starter, which thankfully he wasn't, however it was their intention for Niitty to be the goalie of the future and decided in somewhat short order that he wasn't. When he came up, it wasn't to be a starter. Clarke claimed that during the lockout had there been a season that Niitty would have been the backup for the whole season, they had been setting it up to let him grow into the role, in which case, you're kind of counting on your goalie coach to work extensively and come up with a polished product, which didn't happen. Now, a lot is because Niitty got hurt (and was a freak of nature in recovering from it), and the fact that he wasn't good enough apart from lacking focus from time to time. However, how long do you want to go though the same song and dance, only one guy has the common denominator for at least as long as I've been watching the Flyers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Ah... if you're focusing on later in the season, then Biron's 2nd season was the better of the two (ignoring playoffs, and Biron played well against the Pens). Biron absolutely carried the Flyers in the spring last year when the team was playing like complete ass in front of him. If Biron hadn't stepped up his game, we would have missed the playoffs. He was very strong for the entire second half of the season.
Yeah, well, tell that to the people who couldn't wait to get his ass on the next bus out of town as soon as the '09 playoffs ended. Biron isn't still here because he can't be a good NHL goalie, he's gone because he thought he was a great one and was the only one who thought so. I didn't mind if he came back, but Holmgren was dumping Lemelin regardless.

What I'd honestly like to hear from Holmgren is what Jeff Reese does that is different from Lemelin other than Reese is full-time and Lemelin was not.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 07:03 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOCxNJ View Post
Well, I see we're not serious about goaltending I guess.
Yep, thats how I see it. Biron back? Nitty? Leighton/Boosh? Sigh... back to ****** goalies yet again. I guess we will have to keep losing for awhile until one of our goalie prospects work out... or if they dont, we will just continue to lose.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 07:05 PM
sg12lw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Esche was a locker room cancer and Biron was well liked by his teammates. I want no part of Robert Esche. And no, he wasn't as good as Biron was. Esche had the luxury of playing behind a pretty incredible defense that was one game away from reaching the Stanley Cup final. Biron had the luxury of playing behind a defense in which Hatcher was skating on a knee that needed to be replaced, a worn out Jason Smith, Randy Jones (enough said), and a Braydon Coburn who was good one playoffs, but absolutely atrocious the next. The only good defender he played behind was Timonen.
biron also cant move side to side, and cant save a wrap around to save his life...esche is a good athlete, and moves better than leighton and biron...i just want a goalie that can move...is that to much to ask haha....nitty is pretty good laterally actually but his hip issues scare me

once again i dont want esche, but id rather have him than biron or leighton.....i also dont buy into the hes a bad locker room guy thing

sg12lw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 07:14 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
What I'd honestly like to hear from Holmgren is what Jeff Reese does that is different from Lemelin other than Reese is full-time and Lemelin was not.
CSNPhilly.com actually did an article about Reese and the differences between him and Lemelin. One of the things that Reese does is watch a lot of video tape and pinpoint technical problems. He was very astute in that part of the game. He also goes out on ice with the goalies at every practice and shows them where the problems were and what can be done to correct it. He's very observant and very thorough.

My impression with Lemelin was that he'd appear maybe once, twice a month, see a practice or two and then make recommendations from there. He wasn't around very often and that made it difficult. Reese also goes on the road with the team. I wish I could find that article again, but it was real indepth and when Reese's contract wasn't renewed in Tampa Bay, there were 8 teams interested in his services. So, he must have been doing something right in Tampa Bay.....

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 07:17 PM
ibleedblue247

What about Chris Mason and how weird would that be sinc e the Flyers are opening up in ST Louis on October 9th

ibleedblue247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 07:42 PM
shamski7

Send a message via AIM to shamski7
nitty has proven over the years that he is no more than a backup...and someone who can dominate the thrashers.

thats it

shamski7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 07:57 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25 Pronger D PHI View Post
esche>biron

yeah im serious

Esche is not better than Biron, he's Michael Leighton... a rebound machine. Biron has proven himself better than all three of those goalies when given consistent games.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote