Notices

Anyone wonder why Havlat signed here?

Old
06-18-2010, 07:30 PM
countrygentleman
John Frusciante

vCash: 500
Anyone wonder why Havlat signed here?

Does anyone besides myself ever look at Havlat and wonder why he would spend the prime of his career in the mess of a situation that is the Minnesota Wild?

countrygentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 07:33 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 50
My guess, he is optimistic about the regime change at the top.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 08:03 PM
melinko

vCash: 2551
He seemed genuinely sad that he wasn't re-signed and it felt like he was more upset about leaving the fans than it was a team talent level thing.

Must have wanted to play in front of the best fans in the world.

To be honest im a little surprised he signed here.

melinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 08:52 PM
grN1g

He specifically said he wanted to come here cause of the fan base, and he was optimistic about the new style and system.

grN1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 09:20 PM
saywut

He wanted a long-term deal, and not many teams were likely to commit to one for such an inconsistent and injury prone player.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 09:25 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Maybe he isn't as jaded as most Wild fans seem to be.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 09:31 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by saywut View Post
He wanted a long-term deal, and not many teams were likely to commit to one for such an inconsistent and injury prone player.
^
This

He wanted a longterm deal , Tallon wanted him back on longterm , Rocky has brains = No Havlat , No Tallon and a Cup

Seriously I was shocked when he got a longterm deal especially from the Wild given everything you went thru with Gaborik

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 09:41 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

well he called us. clearly he was interested before terms were discussed.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 10:06 PM
Kari Takko

Who wouldn't want to play here?

We sell ourselves short because we're jaded. This is a great city, we have a great stadium, and there's a full house every game. Add to that our media is relatively easy on the athletes from our local teams.

Kari Takko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 10:33 PM
Lifer

Imagine if he hadn't signed here...

Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 01:25 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 02:31 AM
TheTenderness
¡VIVA EL NIÑO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifer View Post
Imagine if he hadn't signed here...
The top thread here would probably be "Hall or Seguin?".

TheTenderness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 07:12 AM
BigT2002

My take is he wanted to be more of a role player on a team and be the "go to guy" unlike the Sens or the Hawks. He got it and kind of fumbled under the pressure.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 05:00 PM
Fn89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
^
This

He wanted a longterm deal , Tallon wanted him back on longterm , Rocky has brains = No Havlat , No Tallon and a Cup

Seriously I was shocked when he got a longterm deal especially from the Wild given everything you went thru with Gaborik
Really? Tallon put the winning Blackhawk team together! Bowman had nothing to do with the team Tallon built. Assuming with Havlat on the team, considering he carried them on his back many times last year, they wouldn't have a cup is ridiculous.

Fn89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 11:24 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsy View Post
Really? Tallon put the winning Blackhawk team together! Bowman had nothing to do with the team Tallon built. Assuming with Havlat on the team, considering he carried them on his back many times last year, they wouldn't have a cup is ridiculous.
Mike Smith drafted
Brent Seabrook
Duncan Keith
Dustin Byfuglien
Adam Burish

Bob Pulford drafted
Troy Brouwer
Dave Bolland
Colin Fraser
Byran Bickell

Dale Tallon drafted/Signed/Traded for
Patrick Kane (Gimme pick)
Jonathan Toews (gimme pick)
Andrew Ladd
Patrick Sharp
Kris Versteeg
Ben Eager
Niklas Hjalmarsson
Brian Campbell
Brent Sopel
Jordan Hendry
Cristobal Huet
Antti Niemi

Stan Bowman traded for
Nick Boynton

^
It has long been speculated that Tallon had lost the power struggle after Havlat battle and that Stan Bowman was given go ahead to do the 3 UFA deals this past summer not Tallon so I wont add them

So as you see our Stanley Cup winning team was a process of longterm rebuild

Tallon deserves some credit but Smith and Pulford laid the groundwork and for all the good Tallon gets praised for he needs to be held accountable for his mistakes (Almost every RFA/UFA contact was horrendous and his drafting was terrible outside of Kane/Toews with Hjalmarsson being only exception)

And as much as I enjoyed Havlat as a player

Hossa > Havlat

And frankly Havlat's demand for a longterm contract was insulting after we wasted so much money on him to sit on the sidelines for 2 of his 3 years here. If he wanted to remain a Hawk he either needed to accept a short term deal or a drastic paycut for us to consider bringing back a ? who could never be depended on to be in our lineup

If you could go back would you have moved Gaborik given his injury history and contract demands?

Old
06-20-2010, 02:43 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
If you could go back would you have moved Gaborik given his injury history and contract demands?
My only hindsight would have been to ask; "What about the other hip?"

Wait, I asked that during his first surgery...

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 03:57 PM
Sean Avery*

Quote:
Mike Smith drafted
Brent Seabrook
Duncan Keith
Dustin Byfuglien
Adam Burish

Bob Pulford drafted
Troy Brouwer
Dave Bolland
Colin Fraser
Byran Bickell

Dale Tallon drafted/Signed/Traded for
Patrick Kane (Gimme pick)
Jonathan Toews (gimme pick)
Andrew Ladd
Patrick Sharp
Kris Versteeg
Ben Eager
Niklas Hjalmarsson
Brian Campbell
Brent Sopel
Jordan Hendry
Cristobal Huet
Antti Niemi

Stan Bowman traded for
Nick Boynton

^
It has long been speculated that Tallon had lost the power struggle after Havlat battle and that Stan Bowman was given go ahead to do the 3 UFA deals this past summer not Tallon so I wont add them

So as you see our Stanley Cup winning team was a process of longterm rebuild

Tallon deserves some credit but Smith and Pulford laid the groundwork and for all the good Tallon gets praised for he needs to be held accountable for his mistakes (Almost every RFA/UFA contact was horrendous and his drafting was terrible outside of Kane/Toews with Hjalmarsson being only exception)

And as much as I enjoyed Havlat as a player

Hossa > Havlat

And frankly Havlat's demand for a longterm contract was insulting after we wasted so much money on him to sit on the sidelines for 2 of his 3 years here. If he wanted to remain a Hawk he either needed to accept a short term deal or a drastic paycut for us to consider bringing back a ? who could never be depended on to be in our lineup

If you honestly think it was TALLON who wanted Huet/Campbell then you are mistaken. The puppet master made that call.

Just because Pulford and Smith drafted good players, it was Tallon's job during his tenure to keep the most valuable assets. You don't think there were hundreds of offers to Tallon to take away young talent like Keith/Seabrook etc when the Hawks sucked and "needed a superstar to go over the top" and he refused to trade them?

There was no power struggle in the first place, Tallon stood no chance. He was stabbed in the back by McD and makes many of Hawks fans believe Tallon is responsible for the "mistakes".

Stan Bowman was assistant GM prior to being GM... it was in HIS job description to make sure the offer sheets got to the players on time last summer, he failed and that was all that McD needed to fire Tallon. They were waiting for a **** up to get the Bowman's into the front office and "running the team".

Kane was a gimme pick? He wasn't even top on NHL central scouting rankings. You do realize that the Blues offered the Hawks THREE FIRST ROUND PICKS to move up to #1 that year and Tallon didn't bite? I know of many Hawks fans who wanted Kessel or Backstrom and not Toews during his draft year... looks like Tallon's "gimme pick" worked out.

Sean Avery* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 04:46 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettMcMahon View Post
If you honestly think it was TALLON who wanted Huet/Campbell then you are mistaken. The puppet master made that call..
Tallon wanted Campbell from the moment the season ended ,,,, He talked up how we need a PMD/PP QB all season long and how that was one of his offseason goals

At time Keith was not looking like the dman he is now offensive / Seabrook was developing more as a defensive dman and Barker was dreadful and a clear underperformer

Huet I will buy as a PR move but Campbell was 100% Tallon

And the Huet signing also never would have happened if Tallon's big UFA signing Khabibulin wouldn't have been an utter failure his 1st 3 years in Chicago. (I am a Khabibulin fan but he was horrendous the 1st 2 years and injury prone season #3)

And if Tallon was against the signing he sure didn't have any problem taking credit for them in media and it was only after Huet busted that Tallon supporters began there great myth!

Quote:
Just because Pulford and Smith drafted good players, it was Tallon's job during his tenure to keep the most valuable assets. You don't think there were hundreds of offers to Tallon to take away young talent like Keith/Seabrook etc when the Hawks sucked and "needed a superstar to go over the top" and he refused to trade them?..
So Tallon should get credit for not being an idiot and trading away Seabrook/Keith for quick fixes? I guess every GM that doesn't trade away all there franchises young talent deserves a medal

And technically since you seem to be arguing that Smith/Pulford's picks are Tallon's to credit since he didn't trade them then by that logic Stan Bowman was our GM when we won the cup so he is to get all the credit,,,,,,,, See if you want to give Tallon credit for Smith/Pulford picks I can do same and take away credit form Tallon and give it all to Bowman since he didn't trade away the team that went on to win the cup

Quote:
There was no power struggle in the first place, Tallon stood no chance. He was stabbed in the back by McD and makes many of Hawks fans believe Tallon is responsible for the "mistakes"...
Tallon was against firing Savard , It became clear at that moment that his loyalty was gonna be a great weakeness for us. Only an idiot wouldn't have fired Savard to put a qualified coach in there.

That was the begining of the divide in front office between Scotty Bowman/Mcd and Tallon.

The Havlat signing was the biggest and final fight and thankfully Bowman/Mcd convinced Rocky the proper path on that. Giving out a longterm contract to Havlat after 1 healthy year would have been a mistake

Quote:
Stan Bowman was assistant GM prior to being GM... it was in HIS job description to make sure the offer sheets got to the players on time last summer, he failed and that was all that McD needed to fire Tallon. They were waiting for a **** up to get the Bowman's into the front office and "running the team"...
The GM oversee's his assistants and this wasn't the 1st time Tallon screwed up a contract so I will side with the likelyhood that Tallon is more at fault

And it was not Bowman's fault that Tallon gave resigning our RFA's a low priority , Most competent GM's get that done in mid June/Late June not the end of June

Quote:
Kane was a gimme pick? He wasn't even top on NHL central scouting rankings. You do realize that the Blues offered the Hawks THREE FIRST ROUND PICKS to move up to #1 that year and Tallon didn't bite? I know of many Hawks fans who wanted Kessel or Backstrom and not Toews during his draft year... looks like Tallon's "gimme pick" worked out
Yes Kane was a gimme pick. He was the consensus #1 and an American. Do you honestly believe the Hawks even thought twice about that pick?

And clearly anyone who wanted Kessel for Hawks didn't understand anything about our previous 1st round pick Jack Skille as they would have known Skille/Kessel hate each other's guts and drafting Kessel was never a viable option.

And Backstrom was never gonna be selected due to the amount of 1st round European's who had failed for Hawks before. The Hawks after firing Smith were not going the Euro route

And while i am on the topic of Skille , Tallon reached for him. He was slated as a mid to late 1st round pick and Tallon reached. Poor pick

Me and you are clearly never going to agree on this as you seem to be of the belief that Tallon did no wrong and everything he did wrong was someone else's fault

The fact of the matter is Tallon was never qualified for his job the same way Savard and Pulford weren't qualified for there's

They were nothing but Bill Wirtz yes men who lacked any backbone to stand up to the old man and all 3 were among the lowest paid in NHL at there positions

Rocky Wirtz brought in his own people and gave Dale a chance and at the end of the day he felt more comfortable going forward with Stan Bowman as our GM.

Bill Wirtz Yes men
Savard = Fired with Q coming in , Great move
Pulford = Shipped out with Mcd coming in , Good move
Tallon = Fired with Bowman out , We shall see how it goes

Old
06-20-2010, 04:55 PM
MK9

How the hell did this turn into some lame Hawks / GM / draft thread?

MK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 06:06 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK9 View Post
Sorry

Havlat discussions usually lead to Pro Tallon / Anti Tallon arguments

Old
06-20-2010, 06:18 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Havlat discussions usually lead to Pro Tallon / Anti Tallon arguments
I'm not so sure we should be discussing Minnesota Wild HF members around here...

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 08:16 PM
Fn89

Quote:
Lame, but shows there are still strong feelings on both sides I guess. My guess is Havlat signed here because he wanted a long term contract and he went thru rebuilding with the Blackhawks as they were trying to do just that when he signed, so familiar ground for him.

Fn89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 08:49 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
He's a Twins fan and wanted to catch Joe Mauer at Target Field more often. Duh.

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 11:06 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
I figured both boards got merged due to inactivity or something.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 07:58 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Havlat was a smart signing for GMCF. I think the reason why he picked Minnesota is because he wouldn't play second fiddle to a lot of players and would be guaranteed ice time.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote