HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jody Shelley update

Old
06-21-2010, 07:10 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaborik Scores View Post
You do not want to brake that apart.
Yes we do... That was just a hot streak, an exception, not the rule.... They are not playing like that for an entire 82 game season....

wolfgaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 07:21 PM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
I agree 1000000000000%

Byers and Weise should be given every opportunity to earn roster spots.

They're both NHL ready. Big bodies. Physical players. And both can score.

Its time to continue the influx of youth, not time to start re-signing 34 year olds who had a month of quality play in their entire career.

Shelly, Voros, Redden out.

McDonagh, Weise, Byers in.

Keep Prust, that's fine.

A bottom six with Avery, Weise, Byers, Prust, Boyle would be a royal pain in the ass for any team to face.
They will be given every opportunity to earn roster spots. It's called training camp. If they show that they are ready to play at this level, then they will be on the team. Just like with Korp. Just like with Artie and MDZ and Gilroy.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 07:24 PM
gus1

i agree

gus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 08:15 PM
trilobyte

Because my expectations are realistic, I really would like to see Shelley re-signed.

Some folks state that someone homegrown can replace him, but I saw something from him that is not something you want to let go of so easily.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 08:29 PM
TheRedressor

People seem to be diminishing the value of having a player like Shelley hold your locker room together.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 08:39 PM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

I'm in the Byers/Weise camp. The long term best interest of this team is best served (IMO) by letting young guys take the reigns, and a guy like Weise is going to need some adjustment time.

RANGERS =
we want cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 08:51 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Good work. Give him a 5% raise and 2 years. Done and done.
Please no, no!

I don't want to give a 2 year contract to a guy in his mid-30s. By Christmas, half this board will hate him as too old and too slow. The other half will hate him by the following Christmas (2011). I definitely don't want to be stuck with him for the 2011-12 season.

Let's see how this season goes, then we'll talk about 11-12. He's not an indispensable, irreplaceable player that we need to have him locked up for two years.

One year or no deal.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 09:17 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
I'm in the Byers/Weise camp. The long term best interest of this team is best served (IMO) by letting young guys take the reigns, and a guy like Weise is going to need some adjustment time.
It can still be served by having Weise/Byers battle for a spot on the 4th line and moving Prust to the 3rd line, at least to start the season. I wouldn't mind Avery-Drury-Prust as our 3rd line at all. It would also mean we didn't go out and waste money on an UFA because Cally would be in the top 6.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 09:18 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedressor View Post
People seem to be diminishing the value of having a player like Shelley hold your locker room together.
this!

You need guys like Shelley in your lockerroom, ESPECIALLY when you're trying to bring along youngsters and develop them.

Old
06-21-2010, 09:41 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Which young guys is Shelley helping develop? He's a career 4th liner/enforcer/fighter and we don't have any guys in that mold on the roster... I could see him maybe helping the younger players understand the business of being a professional and showing them the ropes of the league and how everything operates from the team's perspective but I don't really see why those young players can't learn that from any older player on the roster....

Nonetheless, I won't be upset if Shelley is brought back, but I'll be pissed off if it's anything more than a 1 year deal...

wolfgaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 09:58 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
They will be given every opportunity to earn roster spots. It's called training camp. If they show that they are ready to play at this level, then they will be on the team. Just like with Korp. Just like with Artie and MDZ and Gilroy.
Of course. I wouldn't expect anything less.

And I have no doubt they'll impress Tortorella.

Big, talented kids with "jam" are exactly the kind of players he likes.

Still don't want Shelley re-signed. It was a good trade for the stretch run. Now quit while you're ahead and look toward the future.

Prust they can keep. But Shelley makes no sense. We already are wasting money, cap space, and roster spots on Voros and Brashear. We don't need another in that category.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 11:16 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Which young guys is Shelley helping develop? He's a career 4th liner/enforcer/fighter and we don't have any guys in that mold on the roster... I could see him maybe helping the younger players understand the business of being a professional and showing them the ropes of the league and how everything operates from the team's perspective but I don't really see why those young players can't learn that from any older player on the roster....

Nonetheless, I won't be upset if Shelley is brought back, but I'll be pissed off if it's anything more than a 1 year deal...
It's less about learning from Shelley than it is just having that kind of veteran personality in the lockerroom. It helps everyone of them develop when a guy like Shelley is a positive influence on a locker room that's been plagued by negativity since Renney's last year. He reminds me a bit of Strudwick...Shelley's an incredibly intelligent guy from what you can get out of interviews and articles he's in.

It's also nice having a veteran guy like Shelley that gives everyone else the "comfort factor" knowing that if anyone takes liberties with them, Shelley will make them pay. Prust may be willing to drop 'em with anyone, but Shelley is rarely going to lose a fight.

Old
06-21-2010, 11:29 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Why is this such a big deal? Are there really that many teams lined up to sign Shelley on July 1st?

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 02:10 AM
darko

I'm all for bringing Shelley back (along with Prust). 1 year deal worth around 800 - 850 K should get it done. Shelley looked comfortable in his short stint with Rangers so I see him deciding to stick around. Plus I dont see anyone offering him a multi year deal.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 09:20 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

he better not get anything above 900k;

and I should point out that we lose a better pick next year if he is re-signed. Watch Slats give him 2 years 2.8 mil and have him turn into a disaster.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 09:39 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
he better not get anything above 900k;

and I should point out that we lose a better pick next year if he is re-signed. Watch Slats give him 2 years 2.8 mil and have him turn into a disaster.
That WOULD be a disaster. Whether or not it's one or two years, it needs to be not much (if any) more than the $725K he made last year.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 11:29 AM
nyrangers21

Shelley was great down the stretch, but I really don't see what's wrong with just carrying Voros in his spot??

nyrangers21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 11:53 AM
Loffen
Cup mode: ON

A one year deal seems appropriate, two years max. Johnny T really appreciated his lockerroom influence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrangers21 View Post
Shelley was great down the stretch, but I really don't see what's wrong with just carrying Voros in his spot??
Well... Shelley is a heavy who can do some damage, Voros usually gets his ass handed to him.

Loffen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 02:55 PM
shoothepuck

1 year

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote