HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Weber's value

Old
05-27-2010, 08:58 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Gillis would have to be drunk to offer up what you did for Weber and Wilson. I understand you said that's what YOU would trade and not what the team would consider, but still. Why even bother posting that?

As far as quotes from Trotz and Poile that I've been reading posts about, what was said? I tried looking, though not very hard I guess. Lately world news and politics have been keeping me occupied so naturally I've been steering clear of the Tennessean.
Trotz pretty much explicitly said Dumont will get limited minutes again next year. I think that was deliberately intended to set the table for JP to ask for a trade

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 09:05 PM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Gillis would have to be drunk to offer up what you did for Weber and Wilson. I understand you said that's what YOU would trade and not what the team would consider, but still. Why even bother posting that?

As far as quotes from Trotz and Poile that I've been reading posts about, what was said? I tried looking, though not very hard I guess. Lately world news and politics have been keeping me occupied so naturally I've been steering clear of the Tennessean.
I just feel if we can get Wilson and Weber for just what i proposed, it would be the worst trade in Nashville history, and what a steal we get for players who is totally replaceable.

Too bad that would never happen, and for why posting it? The last time i check this is a forum for discussion, right?

Vancouver_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 06:41 PM
Falconator

Weber please come home!

Falconator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 06:47 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconator View Post
Weber please come home!
He is home...Nashville, TN playing for the franchise that drafted and developed him into the star that he is today...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 08:05 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Haha I read that post and immediately decided to post that exact thing, SLake. And then I scrolled down.

To Vancouver_2010, I asked why you bothered posting it because your attitude in the post I mentioned and the following was that of disinterest. Almost like you had to force yourself to toss something on the table just because there was a thread about it. By all means, discuss. I just thought it was a pretty weak attempt at a proposal that you weren't really behind in the first place.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 10:32 PM
Falconator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
He is home...Nashville, TN playing for the franchise that drafted and developed him into the star that he is today...
Umm...no! British Columbia Canada is home for him, he's a hockey player because he's Canadian. He learned his craft here in Canada where most NHLers do. This is a direct quote from Shea himself.

"Usually when the season's over I stay here for a little while. I plan to go home, depending on how long the season goes, hopefully not until late June. Take a couple weeks off and really do nothing. Relax and take some time to myself. After that it's back to working out; training every morning and starting to skate again to get ready for the next season".

So there you have it, he comes home. I'd just like him to come home and play here as well as living here.

Falconator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 09:08 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Nah, people are like the Metallica song "Where ever I May Roam"

'Where I lay my head is home. Nomad, Wanderer......'

Weber and Suter are the foundation of the Nashville Predators and unless Ryan Ellis and Charles Olivier-Rousell exceed expectations then it's every man for himself and up for bidding.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 05:50 PM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

Quote:
Haha I read that post and immediately decided to post that exact thing, SLake. And then I scrolled down.

To Vancouver_2010, I asked why you bothered posting it because your attitude in the post I mentioned and the following was that of disinterest. Almost like you had to force yourself to toss something on the table just because there was a thread about it. By all means, discuss. I just thought it was a pretty weak attempt at a proposal that you weren't really behind in the first place.
Yeah, i was having a bad week during that time, sorry. But i seriously doubt Weber would be traded anyways. If there is a player Nashville would never give up, it would be Weber.

Vancouver_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 04:23 PM
orcasfan

So, if Arnott and Dumont can't be traded, how do you guys think Poile is going to manage to re-sign Hornquist (for 2 or 2.5?) and Franson (2?), not to mention continue pursuing Grebeshkov?? If you assume he has about the same budget as last year (about $45mil)...I don't see much chance for Grebeshkov signing, unless he's willing to move Franson. Wow! He is certainly going to be earning his salary this summer!

orcasfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 04:44 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

no way in hades franson gets 2 million. Klein re-signed for a little over 1 million and franson is RFA.

I expect Franson gets 900K.

If we dont move Dumont I think we will trade Grebs rights.

Old
06-14-2010, 04:54 PM
MarkMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
no way in hades franson gets 2 million. Klein re-signed for a little over 1 million and franson is RFA.

I expect Franson gets 900K.

If we dont move Dumont I think we will trade Grebs rights.
Any fear that Franson gets an offer-sheet? How high would you go to match, or would you settle for a 3rd or 2nd pick?

MarkMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 05:06 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMM View Post
Any fear that Franson gets an offer-sheet? How high would you go to match, or would you settle for a 3rd or 2nd pick?

no i dont think he'll get an offer sheet. and we'd probably match up to 1.5 mil. Any team giving him 2 mil right now is foolish. he is fine on a team that has as many good d-men as we do so he can limit his minutes, but if he has to play 18-20 minutes a night right now hw still makes a lot of mistakes and is slow getting back on defense.

Old
06-14-2010, 06:43 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I'm more worried about Hornqvist getting an offer sheet

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 09:08 PM
Rede

Just to be a pain, I'll dust this thread off.. I know it's just a pipe-dream, but well, lemme dream alright?

What would the Nashville perspective be on something along the lines of:

Erhoff
Raymond
Hodgson

for

Shea Weber
2nd Round Pick?

From my perspective:

Erhoff gives Nashville a #2 D who can fill the offensive role Weber fills now and would likely compliment Suter nicely. Raymond provides some scoring up front, is young, and has great speed. Hodgson is a great prospect with first line potential and will play at a discount rate for years to come.

Weber gives the Canucks the number one D-man they sorely lack and the second rounder helps fill the prospect pool a little bit with the departure of a couple young guys.

Thoughts? Insults? Etc?

Rede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 09:24 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rede View Post
Just to be a pain, I'll dust this thread off.. I know it's just a pipe-dream, but well, lemme dream alright?

Erhoff
Raymond
Hodgson

for

Shea Weber
2nd Round Pick?

From my perspective:

Erhoff gives Nashville a #2 D who can fill the offensive role Weber fills now and would likely compliment Suter nicely. Raymond provides some scoring up front, is young, and has great speed. Hodgson is a great prospect with first line potential and will play at a discount rate for years to come.

Weber gives the Canucks the number one D-man they sorely lack and the second rounder helps fill the prospect pool a little bit with the departure of a couple young guys.

Thoughts? Insults? Etc?
Brutal. The 2nd round pick is the slap in the face flavored icing.

Kesler is the only name in Vancouver that's interesting enough to even consider in such a deal, and even then it's not enough.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 09:36 PM
Rede

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Brutal. The 2nd round pick is the slap in the face flavored icing.

Kesler is the only name in Vancouver that's interesting enough to even consider in such a deal, and even then it's not enough.
Fair enough.

It's hard to gauge the value of your own guys sometimes. In Hodgson I see a future first liner with captaincy potential. With Raymond a 24-year-old 25-goal-scorer with his kind of speed - only two years into his professional career - is something I'd be slobbering over a year ago before the sudden outbreak of scoring in Vancouver. And in Erhoff I see a helluva shot and the Canucks #1 Dman last year (...unfortunately).

Old
06-21-2010, 09:46 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:

Erhoff
Raymond
Hodgson

for

Shea Weber
2nd Round Pick?

From my perspective:

Thoughts? Insults? Etc?
Doesn't help us much, if at all. If we're also dealing a second rounder (which would have to be in 2011 at the earliest), we need another rearguard coming back who can play on the second pairing with Klein.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 06:33 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Fair enough.

It's hard to gauge the value of your own guys sometimes. In Hodgson I see a future first liner with captaincy potential. With Raymond a 24-year-old 25-goal-scorer with his kind of speed - only two years into his professional career - is something I'd be slobbering over a year ago before the sudden outbreak of scoring in Vancouver. And in Erhoff I see a helluva shot and the Canucks #1 Dman last year (...unfortunately).
The point is that in Weber, the Preds have a franchise defenseman, and likely a perennial Norris contender. They don't grow on trees.

Your offer is substantial, yes...but there's nothing in there that pops, not enough to make losing Weber seem palatable.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 06:12 PM
Rede

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
The point is that in Weber, the Preds have a franchise defenseman, and likely a perennial Norris contender. They don't grow on trees.

Your offer is substantial, yes...but there's nothing in there that pops, not enough to make losing Weber seem palatable.
What would pop, I think, would be another franchise type player. I don't really see why Nashville would trade a player like Weber for another franchise guy - it would be creating a hole to fill another.

If Weber leaves Nashville I suspect it would be to give the team a different look - more offence from younger guys with growth potential - without leaving any major holes... basically the sort of offer I posted. Something that provides scoring depth and another Dman to fill Weber's role.

Giving up a guy like Weber for a couple guys who have the potential to be 30-40 goal scorers and a offensive Dman is risky but could pay big dividends for both teams.... That risk is probably the biggest reason these sorts of deals don't happen often. Then again, there is also the saying that whoever gets the best player in any trade is the winner.

Old
06-22-2010, 08:17 PM
deanwormer

In general, I think any team that looks at moving a franchise player has to have an impasse on attitude and commitment or absolutely stuck with bad contracts and kinda a sucky team and needing contract space and youth to rebuild. Other than that, why would you move a franchise guy?

if u follow that how would anything really fit for Nashville to move Weber? Perhaps an overwhelmingly ridiculous offer might work for most teams, but in Nash, unless those are guys with really good cheap contracts, we couldn't even take advantage of it.

honestly, unless we got absolutely horrible and Shea went to Poile and asked to be moved, I just can't see us letting Weber go (unless he gets a ridiculous FA offer).

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 01:11 AM
MarkMM

Quote:
Then again, there is also the saying that whoever gets the best player in any trade is the winner.
Just as a side note, while I would agree that this is a good rule of thumb, it's not set in stone. Remember the Lindros trade?

They received in the trade eventual Hart Trophy winner Peter Forsberg, as well as Ron Hextall, Chris Simon, Mike Ricci, Kerry Huffman, Steve Duchesne, a 1st round selection (Jocelyn Thibault) in 1993, a 1st round selection (later traded to the Toronto Maple Leafs, later traded to the Washington Capitals—Nolan Baumgartner) in 1994, and $15,000,000 cash. Since the trade, the Avalanche have won eight division titles and two Stanley Cup championships, due in part to the play of Forsberg, and the later addition of Patrick Roy, whom the Avalanche received in a later package deal that included Thibault.

MarkMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 12:06 PM
Rede

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMM View Post
Just as a side note, while I would agree that this is a good rule of thumb, it's not set in stone. Remember the Lindros trade?

They received in the trade eventual Hart Trophy winner Peter Forsberg, as well as Ron Hextall, Chris Simon, Mike Ricci, Kerry Huffman, Steve Duchesne, a 1st round selection (Jocelyn Thibault) in 1993, a 1st round selection (later traded to the Toronto Maple Leafs, later traded to the Washington Capitals—Nolan Baumgartner) in 1994, and $15,000,000 cash. Since the trade, the Avalanche have won eight division titles and two Stanley Cup championships, due in part to the play of Forsberg, and the later addition of Patrick Roy, whom the Avalanche received in a later package deal that included Thibault.
I'd say Forsberg turned out to be the best player in that trade, just far from the surest thing at the time of the trade.

In the one I proposed Hodgson would have the potential to be the best guy, with Weber being the can't-miss Lindros sort of piece.