HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Questions Abound With The Leafs

Old
06-21-2010, 08:52 PM
seanlinden

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyD View Post
i enjoyed the article, but berger is dead wrong about kovalchuk.........burke should be chasing him
No he shouldn't....the $8m+ he's going to cost on the cap would cripple us.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 08:54 PM
MIKE GUNDY*

What questions are their about Kovalchuk's character? The long shifts stopped as soon as he went to Jersey, he went from no system in ATL to a strict system in NJ seamlessly. If Jacques Lemaire was impressed by Kovalchuk's game (outside of his offense), how can anyone have questions?

MIKE GUNDY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 08:55 PM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayson Williams View Post
What questions are their about Kovalchuk's character? The long shifts stopped as soon as he went to Jersey, he went from no system in ATL to a strict system in NJ seamlessly. If Jacques Lemaire was impressed by Kovalchuk's game (outside of his offense), how can anyone have questions?
I'd like to know that too. Never heard character issues about him.

06-21-2010, 08:56 PM
daveleaf

Quote:
If Lemaire was so impressed why did he retire? If he thought this guy was all world he would have stuck around to coach another year. What else was he going to say? The guy is a dud when your GM would like to resign him.

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 09:01 PM
MIKE GUNDY*

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleaf View Post
If Lemaire was so impressed why did he retire? If he thought this guy was all world he would have stuck around to coach another year. What else was he going to say? The guy is a dud when your GM would like to resign him.
yea i think lemaire retired b/c of kovalchuk too

Old
06-21-2010, 09:02 PM
MIKE GUNDY*

kovalchuk is going to sign where he wants to. NJ could off him 10 years at max like ATL did and he could still decline.

Old
06-21-2010, 09:04 PM
daveleaf

Quote:
kovalchuk is going to sign where he wants to. NJ could off him 10 years at max like ATL did and he could still decline.
Doesn't that make you wonder? Great franchise, great GM. History of putting contenders on the ice. He said he wanted to play for a team that can compete for the cup but he doesn't want it. I don't understand it.

Old
06-21-2010, 09:06 PM
VO5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgupca View Post
Bill Watters makes 3
I think he has a great mind for the game.

VO5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 09:11 PM
Psydeshow

Quote:
Bill Watters makes 3
Can I add Doug MacLean at 4? Or has someone beat me to it?

BTW... did you guys know that he drafted Rick Nash?

Psydeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 09:14 PM
BillyD
JUST WIN BABY

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post
No he shouldn't....the $8m+ he's going to cost on the cap would cripple us.
no we could afford it at the present time

BillyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 09:28 PM
daveleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
I'd like to know that too. Never heard character issues about him.
John. If there are no questions about his game then why is he not commanding ten million a year. You guys have this guy as the greatest talent since Gretzky but yet has accomplished so little. I listened to the interview of John Anderson on HC. Sure John was a bit miffed he got fired. He didn't say anything negative about Ilya, even though every question was about him but he never gushed about him either. You would think an all world talent and Anderson would be going off about him about how great he does everything.

John. Would he do all the little things required to win a Stanley Cup? Will he block shots like a Crosby, dig pucks out of the corner in his own end? Will he back check? Will he leave the ice when his team mates turn for the next line?

You guys look at the ppg in the playoffs this year and then he did it all but NJ didn't win. They had PHY on the ropes and Gagne and Carter sitting. Jersey did not play any better after the trade. It's not just about scoring goals-you expect a complete player at those dollars-franchise player-player to lead you too a Stanley Cup.

Old
06-21-2010, 09:29 PM
mikeo1

Quote:
If Lemaire was so impressed why did he retire?
Probably because he's old.

mikeo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 09:35 PM
daveleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo1 View Post
Probably because he's old.
Wouldn't you stick around Mike? Lemaire loves to win and win cup rings. Why else would he go back to NJ? Lemaire is not that old.

Old
06-21-2010, 09:38 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adversary View Post
Berger is a hack, and the "who shot J.R." line proves it. that is such an unoriginal opening line that if I was marking a paper I would write in big red marker DO NOT USE CLICHES IN ACADEMIC PAPERS C-

Although this is not an academic paper by any means, it just goes to show how uncreative and generally a bad writer Berger is.

A few examples:

"Not since "Who shot J.R.?" has a mystery been so compelling, but fans went ape-spit trying to figure out the identity of the nearly ..."

"Ian has fond out my secret,and Stacey killed Archie,not since Who shot JR has a soap suspect created such interest"

"And, not since "who shot JR" have we been left in such suspense as to what happens next."

"Not since who shot JR has there been this much secrecy!"

"Not since "Who shot JR?" has there been a bigger murder mystery on television."

"not since 'who shot JR Ewing in "Dallas"' have I been so fascinated with a TV progamme"

"Not since “Who Shot JR?” has a media storm brewed about fictional characters"

And Berger:

"Not since “who shot J.R.?” in the early 1980s has a question apparently been posed as often as this one"

It's pathetic, really. From a writer's perspective of course. It's the kind of writing that makes me literally cringe.
You know what, if we all wake up and find out the last 6 years was only a dream, Berger can have his hack analogies in peace.

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 09:39 PM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
Oh okay, thanks for informing all of us that the reason Lemaire retired was Kovalchuk.

Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 09:44 PM
daveleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th4thurt View Post
Oh okay, thanks for informing all of us that the reason Lemaire retired was Kovalchuk.
Never said that did I. What I said if he is such an all world talent why would he leave? Why wouldn't he help try and resign him and give it a run? In many sports, coaches will stick around if the star players play on. Jackson still continues on with the Lakers this past year-probably will next year as well, can barely walk around but does it. Off co-ord for the Colts keeps coming back because of Peyton Manning. Why would you go after your GM just pulled a deal to get one of the most dynamic offensive players?

Old
06-21-2010, 09:49 PM
mikeo1

Quote:
Wouldn't you stick around Mike? Lemaire loves to win and win cup rings. Why else would he go back to NJ? Lemaire is not that old.
Maybe because he was about to be fired and wanted to save face.

mikeo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 10:13 PM
daveleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo1 View Post
Maybe because he was about to be fired and wanted to save face.
Mike. Lou wouldn't have brought him back to fire him that quickly. Both guys have way too much class for that.

I'm not saying Kovalchuk doesn't have a ton of talent. I just don't believe he is mature enough nor complete enough to be an 8mill dollar player. I see question marks and I don't think you should see question marks with that kind of player that is demanding those kinds of dollars.

Old
06-22-2010, 01:22 AM
leafspring*

Quote:
decent article by Berger (can't believe i said that)

Only one glaring spot he was wrong "Kovalchuk is a good player on a bad team, but a bad player on a good team"

Kovy was the Devils best player down the stretch and probably the teams best forward in the playoffs.
Yeah, a excellent article by berger. I just see him trying to promote some pressure on burke,and force some kind of time-table other than 5 years media attention though. thats fine though too!

Well written,and really complemented the kadri pick! He must have been having a long day

leafspring* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 06:08 AM
iceblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
You know what, if we all wake up and find out the last 43 years was only a dream, Berger can have his hack analogies in peace.
fixed.

I want the return of the glory days.

iceblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 11:34 AM
darkside flow
nickeleye cool lemon

LOL.. What exactly is Berger's point? By the end of the article, he completely contradicts what he said at the beginning of it.

Sensationalist sports writing. The worst, and most common, kind.

darkside flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 06:15 PM
jboknows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
And if the Leafs don't sign either Marleau or Kovalchuk, he'll write another article claiming they dropped the ball and how management doesn't care about winning and bla bla bla.
If you give me 100:1 odds I'll take the other side to that bet...
actually no, I need 1,000: 1 given that meathead. Haha

jboknows is offline   Reply With Quote