HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers sign Ryan McDonagh-3 year ELC

Old
06-21-2010, 09:45 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

vCash: 500
Anyone else get the feeling he's a lock to sign? His good friend and former teammate just crossed over... His current team has had a significant roster turnover.... The team that owns his rights is speaking of him like he's ready? What more can be done for this to materialize? It's not like the Rangers are going to meet with him and tell him he needs a few seasons in the minors to refine his game.... He's obviously an upgrade over Gilroy..... As far as I'm concerned the #6 spot will be his to lose come training camp.... All he has to do is play his game...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 09:46 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
He hasn't had a chance to really see what the Rangers are all about. I don't blame him for wanting to take time to make his decision. Once he signs, there's no going back.

I think once he gets to prospect camp and sees the opportunity he has here, he'll sign.
That makes sense.

But the Rangers are an NHL club.

Its not like we're talking about an NAPHL club here... Its an NHL club. What is there to think about?

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 09:47 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

****, just have Messier and Graves take him out to dinner..... His ink will be on that contract before they get the check....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 09:52 PM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
****, just have Messier and Graves take him out to dinner..... His ink will be on that contract before they get the check....
lol I think this is the best idea anyone has come up with.

Screw You Rick Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 09:54 PM
BringBackLibertys

That and don't let him actually meet Sather, and we will be fine...

BringBackLibertys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 09:56 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

He's been invited to the camp. Who says he's even been offered a contract? Kids got to earn it right?

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 10:00 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
That makes sense.

But the Rangers are an NHL club.

Its not like we're talking about an NAPHL club here... Its an NHL club. What is there to think about?
Wisconsin hockey people filling his head that the Rangers are a bad choice. Who would want to play for Sather....Broadway.... blah blah blah

sour grapes but he is an impressionable kid....

Old
06-21-2010, 10:01 PM
NYRangers4Life1994

Send a message via AIM to NYRangers4Life1994 Send a message via MSN to NYRangers4Life1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
Wisconsin hockey people filling his head that the Rangers are a bad choice. Who would want to play for Sather....Broadway.... blah blah blah

sour grapes but he is an impressionable kid....
Im sure Stephan will be the most help out of anybody. They were teammates, no? He'll convince him to sign.

NYRangers4Life1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 10:04 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXHOUND View Post
I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere that part of the gomez deal was getting a piece that Murray wanted, and that being McDonaugh. I don't read any of the other writers on hockeybuzz except for eklund for the lolz. What the hell does it matter now anyways? Calm down and get over yourself, no reason to attack me.
Attack you? Who is attacking you?

People make statements and when you question them about the statements,they flip out. You need to calm down.

Besides that hockeybuzz guy writing about it,where did you read it? You brought it up. No?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 10:07 PM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Attack you? Who is attacking you?

People make statements and when you question them about the statements,they flip out. You need to calm down.

Besides that hockeybuzz guy writing about it,where did you read it? You brought it up. No?
dont remember but i didnt read about it on hockeybuzz. like i said, what does it matter now anyways? nothing. so just get back to posting twitter updates from larry brooks and we'll leave it at that.

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 10:08 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Ugh. I keep getting the "sense of entitlement" vibe. I really hope he's not looking for a guaranteed spot or something.

Probably reading too much into it, but I'm not sure what the Rangers would tell him that could "entice" him.

"Win a spot, and stay up with the Rangers. Need some seasoning, spend some time in Hartford."

Where's the wiggle room?

I haven't been getting that at all. I don't think it has anything to do with a spot, or making the team this year, being a guarantee. I think he wants to see that, with Staal and Girardi being declared long term core players and it uncertain whether or not we'll actually dump Redden, he knows MDZ and Gilroy just joined the team and sees 4 or 5 spots already taken up somewhat indefinitely. If the kid has done any homework, which you can assume he has, he also knows about Sanguinetti, Kundratek, Valentenko, Sauer, Williams, Pashnin and isn't sure, with most of these guys expected to have some kind of NHL career not too far down the road, if he's going to get lost in the shuffle. If Redden/Gilroy stay on the team for the next two years where is there room for anyone to be more than a callup/#7? I don't expect them both to be on the team, but I think McDonagh just wants to sign a contract that's not going to force him to play in the minors for longer than he has to, as many would speculate Sanguinetti/Sauer have and Heikinen did.

I think McD would ultimately be fine with a year in the AHL. I just think he knows he's not 2-3 years away from the NHL and doesn't want to sitting in the minors on a log jammed team.

I hope that's the case anyways.

Last edited by SERE 24: 06-21-2010 at 10:15 PM.
SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 10:14 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Anyone else get the feeling he's a lock to sign? His good friend and former teammate just crossed over... His current team has had a significant roster turnover.... The team that owns his rights is speaking of him like he's ready? What more can be done for this to materialize? It's not like the Rangers are going to meet with him and tell him he needs a few seasons in the minors to refine his game.... He's obviously an upgrade over Gilroy..... As far as I'm concerned the #6 spot will be his to lose come training camp.... All he has to do is play his game...

I try to make it a habit to not count any chickens before they hatch - I'm the first to admit it would be hypocritical for me not to mention that after I've repeatedly spoken out against people thinking Aasen is a guaranteed top-six player next season (as in effective in the role of a top-six player, not just taking up space) - but I personally DO get the feeling that McD is a lock to sign AND I think he would make the team. Let Gilroy go to the AHL, be the #7 or move him in an effort to move up in the 2nd round or some such (getting rid of his cap hit wouldn't hurt, really). I think there's a better chance McD is on this roster opening day than any other prospect currently in the system. Stepan will have a year or two in the AHL. I think Grachev will have one more year. I have a feeling McD will be signed and make the squad.

Old
06-21-2010, 10:15 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers4Life1994 View Post
Im sure Stephan will be the most help out of anybody. They were teammates, no? He'll convince him to sign.
Maybe.... I surfed around couldnt find anything about them being tight off ice.

I guess we'll have to wait and see. I could see him NOT wanting to return to the depleted Badgers while all the "good players" get to go turn Pro.

Old
06-21-2010, 10:18 PM
LyNX27

Quote:

I guess we'll have to wait and see. I could see him NOT wanting to return to the depleted Badgers while all the "good players" get to go turn Pro.
I've seen a couple articles where they both talk about living in NY together and playing together.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 10:19 PM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:

read the stepan profile for 20 in 20 he mentions that they are good friends.

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 10:31 PM
NYRangers4Life1994

Send a message via AIM to NYRangers4Life1994 Send a message via MSN to NYRangers4Life1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyNX27 View Post
I've seen a couple articles where they both talk about living in NY together and playing together.
love what im reading.

Old
06-21-2010, 10:35 PM
LyNX27

http://rangers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=531525

Quote:
"He (Stepan) was at the Rangers' prospect camp when the trade happened last summer, so he was pretty excited," said McDonagh. "He called me as soon as his day was done at the camp. He said that one of the coaches had pulled him aside in the middle of the practice to tell him that the Rangers had just traded for me. He was all excited. It was pretty cool."

Having a fellow Rangers prospect on the Badgers helped keep McDonagh focused on his hockey future.

"Obviously, when we were back in Madison, we would talk with excitement about playing together again one day at the next level," he said.
http://rangers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=531995

Quote:
One of Stepan's teammates during the emotional NCAA run was defenseman Ryan McDonagh, a fellow Rangers prospect obtained in a trade with Montreal last summer. Stepan was delighted to hear about that trade and now hopes that he and McDonagh will soon play together in the NHL, too.

"We're pretty good buddies. We're always playing video games together and hanging out. We always just kind of joke around about it (being NHL teammates)," said Stepan. "We joke about how we could move out there together and stuff like that. It's something that we're really good buddies and if it were to happen, we would definitely enjoy it and try to be as close as we can."

Old
06-21-2010, 10:42 PM
Vitto79

I am cool with McD being this years MDZ

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 10:45 PM
NYRangers4Life1994

I forgot about that article

Old
06-21-2010, 10:46 PM
NYRangers4Life1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
I am cool with McD being this years MDZ
I think McDonagh is more of a stay at home defenseman. Not 100% sure about it though.

Old
06-21-2010, 10:47 PM
beastly115

The impression I got from McD was that the guy wants to play in the NHL. We have one of the deepest defense pools in the league and he wants to make sure there is room for him.

Of course there's room for him. Just outplay Redden in training camp.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 10:51 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers4Life1994 View Post
I think McDonagh is more of a stay at home defenseman. Not 100% sure about it though.
He is, but less so than Staal. He is useful on the PP and has good offensive instincts. He's a pretty solid passer. Everyone keeps talking about him as a stay-at-home, but I see him as much more of a hybrid. He's defensively responsible and is always going to put positioning and his own end over making an offensive play, but he's a great skater and has pretty good vision. I personally see him rounding out to a responsible two-way d-man and a pretty good NHLer.

Old
06-21-2010, 10:52 PM
LyNX27

If I can say why I like this guy w/o hyping him up too much let me go ahead...

He is very strong on his skates and overall this guy is very strong. He should have less of a problem than many of the other prospects which instantly find themselves in a bigger, stronger, meaner league. This guy doesn't have a lot of snarl to his game but push him and you'll see him snarl, and he'll do so with out taking over the top penalties... Although truth be told if he does have a flaw it is penalties (in 119 games with UW-M he's posted 174 PIM) , and he has this "jack of all trades master of none" kinda thing, seeing as he was originally drafted to be more of an offensive D-Man with a big body, but has settled more into the Defensive D-Man... if you want to call it that.

His skating is sure and steady and while not crazy good is more than enough to help him get by in this league. But his speed is really nice, he's not the prototypical "Fast offensive defenseman" because he lacks that real scoring punch in his game but he's known to contribute in the offensive zone.

In all, don't expect an offensive defenseman, or a defensive defenseman, as much as that hybrid with good speed and skating, definitely physical and strong, and can play very solidly in all 3 zones.

Old
06-21-2010, 10:56 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
I don't think the #6 spot is his to lose at all, nor do I think he's a CLEAR upgrade to Gilroy because who knows how McD will look at a pro level.

I'll be really surprised if we don't go out and add someone on defense or don't keep Redden on the roster to start if we don't have to waive him to fit under the cap before the season starts. I know Torts said he wanted to get young, but not young where his 3rd pair of d are Sangs/Gilroy/McD/Valentenko/Sauer. That would be a pairing he'd barely trust to play 10 minutes a night.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 10:58 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterqvist24 View Post
He is, but less so than Staal. He is useful on the PP and has good offensive instincts. He's a pretty solid passer. Everyone keeps talking about him as a stay-at-home, but I see him as much more of a hybrid. He's defensively responsible and is always going to put positioning and his own end over making an offensive play, but he's a great skater and has pretty good vision. I personally see him rounding out to a responsible two-way d-man and a pretty good NHLer.
Coming in I think Staal was looked at as much more of a hybrid than a stay at home defenseman. You never know how a guy is going to develop and what he's going to become...and hell, now that Staal's been in the league awhile he's starting to trust his offensive instincts a lot more.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote